2012/13 Random Trade Thoughts

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Re: 2012/13 Random Trade Thoughts 

Post#241 » by LakerLegend » Tue Feb 5, 2013 5:57 am

Train7492 wrote:Would going after Pierce and KG bring us a ring? I know the window would only be this year and next. So if we could get them to do something along the lines of Granger, Hibbert, Pick, ? for Pierce, KG.

Hill, Augustin
Pierce, Stephenson
George, Johnson
West, Hasbrough
KG, Mahinmi

I think that line-up could beat the Heat. But the down side to all that is we would have to rebuild in 2 years then. So my question do you make a move to have a very good chance at a ring this year or next then rebuild?

What about Granger, Mahimi, Green, Hansborough for Pierce and KG? You get to keep all of your core pieces while adding KG and Pierce to strengthen your run for the next couple of years. The Celtics get Granger without taking on any other big deals.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,350

Post#242 » by Nuntius » Tue Feb 5, 2013 7:16 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:You get to keep all of your core pieces.

Granger is a part of our core.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#243 » by Wizop » Tue Feb 5, 2013 3:59 pm

Green for Terry?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#244 » by Jake0890 » Tue Feb 5, 2013 8:32 pm

Wizop wrote:Green for Terry?

Both have had really bad seasons. I wouldn't do it just because Terry's contract is worth more.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#245 » by Grang33r » Wed Feb 6, 2013 9:33 am

Houston is one team reported to have a keen eye on Indiana forward Danny Granger. The Pacers aren’t totally against keeping the 29-year-old forward, who has missed all of the season with a knee injury. But following the emergence of All-Star Paul George, they are taking and making exploratory calls.

Link- http://www.foxsportsohio.com/02/04/13/N ... eedID=3725

I have never been one to trade Granger but very against of doing it mid-season. And i am especially against trading him to Houston, who i just don't think have anything that would make us think twice about trading him.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
laydo
Junior
And1: 2

Post#246 » by laydo » Wed Feb 6, 2013 11:54 am

How about Tyler, Ben, Green, 1st round pick for Gortat, Telfair, 2nd round?
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#247 » by Jake0890 » Wed Feb 6, 2013 12:10 pm

laydo wrote:How about Tyler, Ben, Green, 1st round pick for Gortat, Telfair, 2nd round?

So we end up with 3 centers on our roster?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#248 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Feb 7, 2013 2:45 pm

laydo wrote:How about Tyler, Ben, Green, 1st round pick for Gortat, Telfair, 2nd round?

We would do that in a second. We would dump GG's long-term deal, and upgrade tremendously from Ben to Telfair (though at a low value position of 3rd string PG), and the upgrade from Tyler to Gortat is immeasurable. All for only downgrading from a late 1st to an early to mid 2nd? We'd be silly not to!

Also, Phoenix would never consider it. They can hit the market with Gortat and get a much better deal without getting stuck with the next 2 years of GG.
TSC25
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#249 » by TSC25 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 9:02 pm

What about a Eric Gordon for Danny Granger trade. It gives the Pacers a SG and the Hornets a SF. I think both are team needs.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#250 » by Jake0890 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 9:19 pm

TSC25 wrote:What about a Eric Gordon for Danny Granger trade. It gives the Pacers a SG and the Hornets a SF. I think both are team needs.

It addresses a starting SG needs (albeit Gordon is injury prone) yet we don't get any cap relief.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#251 » by Grang33r » Sat Feb 9, 2013 10:59 pm

TSC25 wrote:What about a Eric Gordon for Danny Granger trade. It gives the Pacers a SG and the Hornets a SF. I think both are team needs.

Pretty obvious, but it's also interesting that EG is from Indianapolis, while Danny is from New Orleans.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#252 » by pacers33granger » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Alex Kennedy: Source says the Indiana Pacers and Chicago Bulls are among the teams pursuing Orlando Magic guard J.J. Redick. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Not sure what we would be giving up, but JJ would be awesome off the bench (or starting, not sure the plan) and I'd assume the team would want to resign him if they're pursuing him. I can't think of a trade straight up since I doubt the Magic would have interest in Granger. Unless it's something like Green/Pendegraph/1st for Redick.

Maybe a 3 team deal with the Kings?

Sac out: Robinson, Garcia
Sac in: Granger

Orl out: Redick, 13 2nd
Orl in: Robinson, Green

Ind in: Redick, Garcia, 13 2nd
Ind out: Granger, Green

Helps Sacramento balance their roster. Orlando gets value for Redick, but takes on Green and gives up a very early 2nd for the value to be as good as it is.

For us it would give us a big scoring boost with Redick and another veteran presence who can play spot minutes in Garcia. Both are hard working professionals.

Both are expiring contracts and if we wanted to resign Garcia, it would be a lot cheaper than his current deal. I'm not sure if we could, but possibly sign Redick to a huge one year front loaded deal like Nick Collison got to keep him cheap when George and Stephenson need new deals.

The Orlando 2nd gives us a chance to get a good look at a cheap rookie who slips past the first round. OJ has looked good so far. Maybe Kabongo slips.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#253 » by Boneman2 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Reddick is not worth Granger or TRob. Orlando would have to add more to the package for either player.
I was thinking Reddick is about .333 times the value of danny.
Fredette will be just as good, and a lot cheaper. Better target imo.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#254 » by pacers33granger » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm not sold on Fredette at all. If we make a trade, it has to be for someone who we know can be productive and Redick is just that. Fredette could end up being basically the same thing as Augustin on our roster.

We save 4.5 mil on this year's salary (so about 2.25 since half is already paid) and another 17.5 mil in the offseason. We could sign West and Redick to good front loaded deals that decrease when George and Stephenson need new deals. We could likely keep Hansbrough too or go after another free agent. We would only have about 30 mil on the books.

Figure something like a 10 mil decreasing contract for West and an 8 mil decreasing contract for Redick and there's still 10 mil of room or so left while also helping out future finances. Maybe try and get Jarrett Jack back or someone like Mo Williams. We could still possibly resign Hansbrough too.

At worst, this could be our team next season with salaries:

Hill (8)
Stephenson (1)/Redick(8)/OJ(800k)
George (3)
West (10)/Hansbrough (5)
Hibbert (14)/Mahinmi (4)/Plumlee (1)

Plus our first and an early 2nd, so add about 1.5 mil = 56.5 mil.

It would also give us some good flexibility around the draft to absorb a player.

Maybe Orlando should add a future first, but I'm not sure how we could trade for Redick, keep him, and keep Granger financially, unless we just let Granger walk after next season. It also would seem to create an issue of PT with Granger, Redick, George, Stephenson.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#255 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:40 pm

It's not as much the Granger at $14 million kind of salaries that kill your cap, it's the paying role players large amounts. You can afford a Mahinmi at $4 million and Hill at $8 million if you don't have a Hansbrough at $5 million and Reddick at $8 million, or a Gerald Green at $3.5 million.

I would think that if we keep West, Hansbrough is walking in free agency. Also, if you want to keep Stephenson after next year, you can't pay a JJ Reddick $8 million to back him up.

Fiscally, you hope that Plumlee grows enough next year to supplant Mahinmi, and that you can somehow dump Green and Mahinmi's $7.5 million guaranteed for 2014/15 in a deal so that you can afford to keep West, Granger, George, and Lance. Otherwise, you've chosen Mahinmi and Green over re-signing one or multiple of Granger, West, and Lance.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#256 » by pacers33granger » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:57 pm

In the scenario above Redick and Hansbrough would both be paid less each year, along with West. I'm not sure if it can still be done, but it'd work perfect to do what OKC did with Collison and pay him a huge first year salary while they have the space.

The premise was also built on the idea that Indiana is apparently after Redick and would, I assume, hope to retain him and not rent for half a season. Next year would be fine financially, but once George and Stephenson need extensions, we wouldn't be able to afford Granger and could just see him walk for nothing.

If we make a deal for Redick, I'm not sure how the minutes go, with George, Redick, Granger, and Stephenson all deserving and to a lesser extent OJ. Maybe the front office isn't as high on Stephenson as Bird was.

As far as Reddick making 8 mil (on a declining contract), Ryan Anderson makes 8 mil to backup Anthony Davis and is seen as a good deal. There would be enough minutes behind George and Stephenson to justify the price and Redick is a strong player overall.

And on a side note I think Hansbrough is actually more valuable than people think. An article on Grantland recently noted that, although a small sample size, Hansbrough draws a foul on 50 percent of his post ups. He gets us into the penalty early and annoys everyone on the other team. I wouldn't overpay him, but a similar contract to Mahinmi's isn't out of the question (which would be a decline 5 mil contract basically).
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#257 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:56 pm

pacers33granger wrote:In the scenario above Redick and Hansbrough would both be paid less each year, along with West. I'm not sure if it can still be done, but it'd work perfect to do what OKC did with Collison and pay him a huge first year salary while they have the space.

The premise was also built on the idea that Indiana is apparently after Redick and would, I assume, hope to retain him and not rent for half a season. Next year would be fine financially, but once George and Stephenson need extensions, we wouldn't be able to afford Granger and could just see him walk for nothing.

If we make a deal for Redick, I'm not sure how the minutes go, with George, Redick, Granger, and Stephenson all deserving and to a lesser extent OJ. Maybe the front office isn't as high on Stephenson as Bird was.

As far as Reddick making 8 mil (on a declining contract), Ryan Anderson makes 8 mil to backup Anthony Davis and is seen as a good deal. There would be enough minutes behind George and Stephenson to justify the price and Redick is a strong player overall.

And on a side note I think Hansbrough is actually more valuable than people think. An article on Grantland recently noted that, although a small sample size, Hansbrough draws a foul on 50 percent of his post ups. He gets us into the penalty early and annoys everyone on the other team. I wouldn't overpay him, but a similar contract to Mahinmi's isn't out of the question (which would be a decline 5 mil contract basically).

OKC was able to give that kind of extension to Collison mid season because they had a ton of cap space and treated it as a signing bonus, something that's kind of been written out in the new CBA. Essentially, we are unable to do that and the cap space saved would be negligible for the Pacers.

Essentially, you're talking about choosing Hansbrough and Reddick over keeping David West and having Paul George possibly carry you into the luxury tax. You're locked into his kind of roster fiscally as your main pieces. Honestly, you're talking about the same dollar value that Danny would cost but you'd have Reddick and Hansbrough instead. I keep Danny every time over that.

Hill/minimum
Lance/Reddick
George/minimum
Hansbrough/Plumlee
Hibbert/Mahinmi
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#258 » by 8305 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:11 am

When the Pacers say they aren't looking to trade Granger I'm inclined to believe them. The notion that they are also looking at Redick is interesting. But I'd be surprised to see Redick coming at the expense of Granger.

I could see the Pacers offering something like Green and our first or Johnson and our second for Redick.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#259 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:30 am

8305 wrote:When the Pacers say they aren't looking to trade Granger I'm inclined to believe them. The notion that they are also looking at Redick is interesting. But I'd be surprised to see Redick coming at the expense of Granger.

I could see the Pacers offering something like Green and our first or Johnson and our second for Redick.

I doubt Orlando would take on Greens 3 year deal for just a 1st while also giving up Reddick.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#260 » by Wizop » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:34 pm

and I wouldn't give up OJ for Reddick. you get experience but lose potential.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers