Unofficial 2017 Off Season Thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Unofficial 2017 Off Season Thread 

Post#1 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:05 pm

Since we don't have one or a trade thread maybe this can serve that purpose.

Who do we go after in the off season to make the team better?

What can we do trades? And what can we do signings.

1st we have to think about signing Teague, how much is he gonna cost? And can we afford him. He's has had a good season, I think he's better than he's give credit for. But what if some team shoots $20 million for 4 yrs at him?

Some players we might target in trades Toby Harris of Detroit. He's got one of those contracts that's declining $16 million next year and $14.8 million in his final year and he's only 24. IDK what it would take to get him away from the Pistons.

For Free Agents Ibaka is a UFA, and if Teague was to leave we could offer a big contract to Kyle Lowery, taking either one of them would hurt conference rival Toronto.

I have a feeling Derrick Rose will not be offered the kind of money he thinks he's worth, problem is he may only be good for 50 games. Of course there's Paul Millsap but he's gonna take $24-25 million a yr and he's already 32. Zach Randolph will be a free agent too but he's gonna be 36 in July so a 1 or 2 yr deal at about his current pay level or 20% more.

Of course the guy I'd like most to get is Gordon Hayward it's gonna take $24-25 million. But would Gordon want to play for his home town team? I like to hope he would.
Cresy06
Junior
And1: 457

Re: Unofficial 2017 Off Season Thread 

Post#2 » by Cresy06 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:50 pm

I don't think we can attract any big time free agents, but if Hayward wants to play in Indiana I would throw everything at him. I highly doubt it however after the great Season he and his team had in Utah.

A guy I personally like a lot is JaMychal Green, if the Pacers just overpay him a little they might be able to get him since he is a RFA.

With Teague it all depends on how much he is going to cost. But if the Pacers can't/won't resign him then they better try to find a replacement as there is just no other option at PG. Maybe a trade for Rubio? I could see him fit in very well if we need a new PG. A trade for Reggie Jackson, if we can turn him into a productive player?

I would love to pair up PG with Jimmy Butler as there is a chance that the Bulls are going to break up their team, but I guess the best thing the Pacers can offer is GRIII, CJ Miles and the 1st Rounder, which is most likely not even close to the value of Butler.
Maybe the Nets would trade Brook Lopez for a similar Package?

Honestly, I haven't thought about it too much and it will all depend on what Teague is going to cost. The most important thing is to leave room to extent PG in 2018 but still trying to improve on the roster, which will be very hard to do.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#3 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Cresy06 wrote:I don't think we can attract any big time free agents, but if Hayward wants to play in Indiana I would throw everything at him. I highly doubt it however after the great Season he and his team had in Utah.

A guy I personally like a lot is JaMychal Green, if the Pacers just overpay him a little they might be able to get him since he is a RFA.

With Teague it all depends on how much he is going to cost. But if the Pacers can't/won't resign him then they better try to find a replacement as there is just no other option at PG. Maybe a trade for Rubio? I could see him fit in very well if we need a new PG. A trade for Reggie Jackson, if we can turn him into a productive player?

I would love to pair up PG with Jimmy Butler as there is a chance that the Bulls are going to break up their team, but I guess the best thing the Pacers can offer is GRIII, CJ Miles and the 1st Rounder, which is most likely not even close to the value of Butler.
Maybe the Nets would trade Brook Lopez for a similar Package?

Honestly, I haven't thought about it too much and it will all depend on what Teague is going to cost. The most important thing is to leave room to extent PG in 2018 but still trying to improve on the roster, which will be very hard to do.

Trading CJ is pretty unlikely. He owns a player option and I expect him to opt out.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,293

Post#4 » by boomershadow » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:17 pm

I think we have to resign Teague no matter what he costs. I just hope he still wants to.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#5 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:08 pm

boomershadow wrote:I think we have to resign Teague no matter what he costs. I just hope he still wants to.

Not bringing JT back would be rough the fans like him he's a Pike HS kid, nice to have some local talent on the team.

I'm pretty sure the Pistons want to trade Reggie Jackson and the pistons have $95 million committed for 2017-18 already so they might want to dump him. They have Ish Smith who played pretty well when Reggie was out. Someone is sure to shoot a huge offer at KCP If that happens they'll be well over the cap and still needing players. They also have Reggie Bullock who is looking at his QO year he hasn't shown much but they might want to keep him.

If we were to loose Jeff Teague, we would have a large block of cap space. We could trade Ellis and Thad Young for Jackson and Toby Harris plus a pick swap in 2017. They may be looking to move Reggie Jackson to save some cash off their payroll. The big question is how is his knee. It seemed like thy wanted to move him.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#6 » by Jake0890 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:37 pm

First priority has to be re-signing Jeff Teague. Dealing Hill for him only to lose him a year later in FA after Bird coveted him all these years would be devastated.

Secondly, hopefully we can move Monta Ellis for some cap space. Or something. I think his career is about over.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not seeing much of a way for Pacers to have leeway in free agency other than to move Al Jeff and Ellis. I'd love to see KCP, Hayward (not gonna happen - max contract), or Reggie Jackson come this way, but I don't think it's possible. I'm more interested in the draft this year. We'll be drafting in the middle of the draft again, hopefully we can pull something to grab a difference maker there. OG Anunoby, anyone? I think with some development he could be huge.

I also mentioned this in the off season thread but I think we'd be remiss to not look at the second round as a place to get players who can make an impact. Frank Mason III and Josh Hart deserve to be drafted and they've got all of the tools necessary along with maturity and smarts to be impact players.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#7 » by SmashMouthRod » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:16 am

Resign Teague. Shop the bargain bin (Development league) for another young potential player hopefully a guy that can play the four or five in the mold of Ian Mahinmi. Get a good draft pick. Maybe one of the talented point guards (Dennis Smith, DeAaron Fox). Deal Ellis or Jefferson for a player to replace CJ Miles if possible (Maybe Rudy gay??). Hopefully the nucleus of Teague, George and Turner will have improved chemistry in year two.

Teague
Stephenson/Ellis
George/GR3
Young/Gay
Turner/Seraphin/
Cresy06
Junior

Post#8 » by Cresy06 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 am

The draft this year will be huge! OG Anunoby is a good choice IMO as well, I would always draft a defensive minded player (when drafting around 10-20) and then try to develop his offensive game. Doesn't always work, but when it does you got yourself an All-Star caliber player (Best case scenarios: Kawhi, PG, Jimmy Butler,...)

I am hoping for Nigel Hayes in the second round, I've been a big fan of him since his junior year
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#9 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Jake0890 wrote:First priority has to be re-signing Jeff Teague. Dealing Hill for him only to lose him a year later in FA after Bird coveted him all these years would be devastated.

Secondly, hopefully we can move Monta Ellis for some cap space. Or something. I think his career is about over.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not seeing much of a way for Pacers to have leeway in free agency other than to move Al Jeff and Ellis. I'd love to see KCP, Hayward (not gonna happen - max contract), or Reggie Jackson come this way, but I don't think it's possible. I'm more interested in the draft this year. We'll be drafting in the middle of the draft again, hopefully we can pull something to grab a difference maker there. OG Anunoby, anyone? I think with some development he could be huge.

I also mentioned this in the off season thread but I think we'd be remiss to not look at the second round as a place to get players who can make an impact. Frank Mason III and Josh Hart deserve to be drafted and they've got all of the tools necessary along with maturity and smarts to be impact players.

I agree that we need to resign him. In all likelyhood we would have lost GHill after this season as well. He was a free agent to be and have read he is looking for close to a max deal.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#10 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:04 pm

I sign Teague to market value. I'd like to draft a backup 4 but right or wrong I suspect Bird would rather trade the pick for a veteran backup. Harris certainly played well against us and would be on my short list. too bad we had no spot for Poythress. Niang has disappointed although putting too much weight on a rookie year is probably a mistake. If CJ opts out, I do not chase him. between Lance and GRob and PG and Ellis we are okay on the wing
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#11 » by SBM » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:11 pm

I am probably going to make a separate thread for trades.

As for offseason if I were running things:

Fire Nate, don't think he is strong enough to push this team.

Re-sign Teague for 5 yr $90 which is something like Dragic got at a similar age.

Try to trade Monta and Al Jefferson

If CJ leaves you have to look at a guy like Luke Kenard but not in first round.

Find some mobile bigs that are true rotation players.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#12 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Jake0890 wrote:First priority has to be re-signing Jeff Teague. Dealing Hill for him only to lose him a year later in FA after Bird coveted him all these years would be devastated.

I'll agree with you on Josh Hart for sure if he's there when we pick in 2nd round I'd grab him. We could look at buying a pick higher up. Utah has 2 late #1's and they have Knicks and the Piston's 2nd round picks, they have the Warriors 2nd and their own. So that's 6 picks after #25. I'd think they would be willing to sell one or 2 of them. A few years ago we bought a 2nd from the kings and took Orlando Johnson.

I have to say I don't think there's any way to unload Monta for cap space. Even if he can be dumped before the end of the year and eliminate his final year, no one is gonna just take him.We'd have to attach something to him. Last year in the Thad deal we traded our 2nd this year with conditions we could offer him to them and remove the conditions. Then we could try buying one of Utah's picks,

Let's say our pick is 17 and Utah is holding #25 Utah's own and #30 Golden State and they have the Knicks #2 which is #36. We offer to move the Jazz up to #17 for #25, #30 and #36 they take Monta. I think they may lose George Hill in free agency they may want the higher pick to go after a rookie replacement. Monta could help them out in the short run if GH walks. I think Hill might just land in San Antonio, Pops loves him.

Note, of course the Jazz won't know if they are losing George Hill until after the draft.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:44 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:Resign Teague. Shop the bargain bin (Development league) for another young potential player hopefully a guy that can play the four or five in the mold of Ian Mahinmi. Get a good draft pick. Maybe one of the talented point guards (Dennis Smith, DeAaron Fox). Deal Ellis or Jefferson for a player to replace CJ Miles if possible (Maybe Rudy gay??). Hopefully the nucleus of Teague, George and Turner will have improved chemistry in year two.

Teague
Stephenson/Ellis
George/GR3
Young/Gay
Turner/Seraphin/

Ok we have a lot of issues with this post. #1 we are drafting at 16 or 17, we're not getting Dennis Smith or Fox at 16 or 17. Mahinmi didn't come from the D-League we got him from Dallas is a sign and trade for Dontay Jones and Darren Collison. It would be nice if we could find a player or two sitting in the d-League who could make the team but that's unlikely.

Rudy Gay may not even be able to play til Jan 2018 he's got a torn or ruptured Achilles Tendon and the Kings didn't want Ellis this year, they won't want him next year. They've got 7 shooting guards now.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Cresy06 wrote:The draft this year will be huge! OG Anunoby is a good choice IMO as well, I would always draft a defensive minded player (when drafting around 10-20) and then try to develop his offensive game. Doesn't always work, but when it does you got yourself an All-Star caliber player (Best case scenarios: Kawhi, PG, Jimmy Butler,...)

I am hoping for Nigel Hayes in the second round, I've been a big fan of him since his junior year

Nigel Hayes would be a good 2nd round pick. My question on OG Anunoby is what is the condition of his Knee. We don't want to draft a guy who is gonna be hurt.

Where we are picking we could get Jarret Allen of Texas 6'11'' 235 kinda reminds me of Turner he put up 13.4 points, 8.4 rebounds and 1.5 blocks last season. or Edrice "Bam" Adebayo of Kentucky who has similar numbers and he's 6'10'' 260.

One thing that I suggested on the T&T board that didn't get much response except Texas Chuck liked it. The Pacers again deal with Brooklyn the trade is our pick #17 and Jefferson for Brook Lopez and the 2 late Brooklyn picks looks like 24 and 26. This would allow them some additional space to go after free agents and move up to get a better player. We'd get a center and could move Turner back to PF, and we'd get 2 picks at the end of the 2nd round.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#15 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Wizop wrote:I sign Teague to market value. I'd like to draft a backup 4 but right or wrong I suspect Bird would rather trade the pick for a veteran backup. Harris certainly played well against us and would be on my short list. too bad we had no spot for Poythress. Niang has disappointed although putting too much weight on a rookie year is probably a mistake. If CJ opts out, I do not chase him. between Lance and GRob and PG and Ellis we are okay on the wing

Niang should have been in Ft Wayne all season getting more experience. You mean when CJ opts out not if. He's looking at tripling his pay next season. I'm betting he's getting $13-14 million.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#16 » by Jake0890 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:16 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Cresy06 wrote:The draft this year will be huge! OG Anunoby is a good choice IMO as well, I would always draft a defensive minded player (when drafting around 10-20) and then try to develop his offensive game. Doesn't always work, but when it does you got yourself an All-Star caliber player (Best case scenarios: Kawhi, PG, Jimmy Butler,...)

Nigel Hayes would be a good 2nd round pick. My question on OG Anunoby is what is the condition of his Knee. We don't want to draft a guy who is gonna be hurt.

Where we are picking we could get Jarret Allen of Texas 6'11'' 235 kinda reminds me of Turner he put up 13.4 points, 8.4 rebounds and 1.5 blocks last season. or Edrice "Bam" Adebayo of Kentucky who has similar numbers and he's 6'10'' 260.

One thing that I suggested on the T&T board that didn't get much response except Texas Chuck liked it. The Pacers again deal with Brooklyn the trade is our pick #17 and Jefferson for Brook Lopez and the 2 late Brooklyn picks looks like 24 and 26. This would allow them some additional space to go after free agents and move up to get a better player. We'd get a center and could move Turner back to PF, and we'd get 2 picks at the end of the 2nd round.

The Nets deal is kinda intriguing. I doubt they give up both picks though. I think Al Jeff + 17 for Lopez + 26 might be doable though.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#17 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:24 am

I'd ask for both picks and offer to go ahead and give them our 2nd, we owe it to them any how it's got protections on it.
Cresy06
Junior

Post#18 » by Cresy06 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:07 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:

I am a fan of Lopez for sure, so impressive how he added a 3 point shot to his game. I like that deal too, and Brooklyn might be very open to trading him for another first round pick. With the Wizards pick they got for Bogdanovic and the Pacers first, they could already turn the corner a little bit if they draft well enough.

However, I don't know if I want to give up that first rounder for a 29yr old Center making 20+ mill that has never played on a winning team. It's a tough call, but trading that pick has to lift this team up to contention.

On a side note, I don't think Adebayo of Kentucky is a good player, numbers look alright, but he doesn't pass the eye test, at least not IMO.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#19 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Not of a fan of trading for Lopez. High contract. Plus the dude plays as much defense as I do which is zero. Also don't think Myles can guard a lot of the 4s in today's game.
King_Supreme
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Post#20 » by King_Supreme » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:10 pm

I know you guys don't want to trade PG, but what deals would you be open to?

Return to Indiana Pacers