Trade Discussions

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Re: 2017 Offseason Trade Discussions 

Post#141 » by Vorda » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Bledsoe is gone, Covington is obviously gone... lottery is our only chance to get a real player...
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#142 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:38 pm

How do you all react to the idea of trading Sabonis to Boston for Terry Rozier? Has Domantas become untouchable, now? Sentimentality aside, Rozier is a really good young point guard prospect, great defense, increasing scoring ability, can hit perimeter shots, incredibly quick/athletic.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: RE: Re: 2017 Offseason Trade Discussions 

Post#143 » by Wizop » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:19 pm

raferfenix wrote:Hey Pacers fans, curious what you think about potential deals with the Bucks?

Right now we're in danger of luxury tax problems if we resign Jabari. Dropping Henson and / or Delly would help a lot -- especially since their contracts go a year past major decision points on Middleton + Bledsoe + Brogdon.

We also could really use a big man who could rebound to take some pressure off Giannis in the short term.

If SF is a priority for Indiana the Bucks have our rookie DJ Wilson as well as Teletovic has logged minutes for us there too if either are of interest.

I liked wilson at Michigan and in the draft.

Sent from my SM-T237P using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#144 » by Wizop » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:How do you all react to the idea of trading Sabonis to Boston for Terry Rozier? Has Domantas become untouchable, now? Sentimentality aside, Rozier is a really good young point guard prospect, great defense, increasing scoring ability, can hit perimeter shots, incredibly quick/athletic.

Did you say Tatum? Hayward?

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#145 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:40 pm

Wizop wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:How do you all react to the idea of trading Sabonis to Boston for Terry Rozier? Has Domantas become untouchable, now? Sentimentality aside, Rozier is a really good young point guard prospect, great defense, increasing scoring ability, can hit perimeter shots, incredibly quick/athletic.

Yeah, give me a break. The NBA may be exiting from a drought of bigs, I get that Sabonis looks good - but not that good.
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2017 Offseason Trade Discussions 

Post#146 » by Wizop » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:57 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Yeah, give me a break. The NBA may be exiting from a drought of bigs, I get that Sabonis looks good - but not that good.

Teasing. But Rozier is way too little and doesn't fill a need. Sabonis, Turner, and Oladipo are the core of our building program.

winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#147 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:33 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Wizop wrote:

To be fair, a basic level of research would have informed you that:
1) Pacer fans are extremely high on Sabonis; and
2) Pacers' positional need is at SF, not PG

Rozier is having a nice season but he doesn't fit a need, sorry. Btw congrats on Tatum, he's looking excellent.

Any insight on what Boston plans to do with Smart? His name has come up as a potential FA target here.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#148 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:17 am

I know you’re high on Sabonis, it doesn’t mean he’s untouchable. Collison isn’t a long term answer at the point, either. Why I asked.

I’m hoping we keep Smart, he’ll be restricted and I think the market favors us. Theoretically we could trade him this year, or sign and trade him in the summer as a package for a bigger star - both are possible. But his defense and intangibles are elite, and he’s a big part of the team’s identity. I think the first option is to keep him on a reasonable deal. My worry has been that a team like Chicago would offer him something ridiculous, like 20 million a year. Guess Indiana could, too..
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#149 » by Pacersike » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:26 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:

Rozier is having a nice season but he doesn't fit a need, sorry. Btw congrats on Tatum, he's looking excellent.

Any insight on what Boston plans to do with Smart? His name has come up as a potential FA target here.

Couldn't disagree more.

1) I think it's irrelevant that Pacer fans are extremely high on Sabonis. Every NBA fan can see Domas is averaging a double double for instance. Terry Rozier on the other hand, to know he is playing good defense, you have to do a lot more research and look at his games. Someone who wants to trade for Sabonis is almost per definition very high on him too. This guy just happens to be very high on Rozier too.

2) The starting gig at the 1 for the next couple of years hasn't been taken. Collison is a stopgap and even though I like Joseph a lot, the same could be said about Robinson. Neither of those 2 have shown that they are worthy to start for the Pacers. I sure hope we are actively screening young point guards of other teams.

3) Rozier simply doesn't have Sabonis trade value. Sabonis has shown a lot more and is 2 years younger. It's not about need for me, it's the lack of offensive game of Rozier, knowing he is playing for the best team in the East and one of the best coaches in the NBA. For a team like the Pacers Marcus Smart his offense isn't good enough either to have him as a starter.
Vorda
Senior

Post#150 » by Vorda » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:00 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Wizop wrote:Did you say Tatum? Hayward?

On SF we have Bojan and GRIII, on PG is our weakest and the oldest player Collison... last game against Bulls he scored 3 point... we desperately need better PG... but Sabonis isn't tradable... we can offer DC, Bojan, Big Al, and maybe Thad Young...
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#151 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:32 am

Well I guess I disagree. DC had a bad game, but overall for the season I've been impressed. He's not the future, but as stopgaps go he's been pretty good. I actually think there's a good chance that DC will return next season. In addition, we have Joseph who's a solid if unspectacular backup.

Bojan's scoring is nice, but I'm not convinced he's a net positive. I like GR3 as much as anyone, but I think expectations are now too high. He's a maybe, not a sure thing at all. Having to work his way back from injury is something else he would have to overcome.

Another factor is that league wide, PG is just much deeper than SF. If we're really talking about trading Sabonis (which I believe we won't), then I'd much rather trade him for a hard-to-fill position.

But sure, we should be looking at talented young PGs who could become available. I'd argue that we should be looking at ALL talented young players who can be acquired cheaply regardless of position, except perhaps at center.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#152 » by Pacersike » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:40 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:Well I guess I disagree. DC had a bad game, but overall for the season I've been impressed. He's not the future, but as stopgaps go he's been pretty good. I actually think there's a good chance that DC will return next season. In addition, we have Joseph who's a solid if unspectacular backup.

Bojan's scoring is nice, but I'm not convinced he's a net positive. I like GR3 as much as anyone, but I think expectations are now too high. He's a maybe, not a sure thing at all. Having to work his way back from injury is something else he would have to overcome.

Another factor is that league wide, PG is just much deeper than SF. If we're really talking about trading Sabonis (which I believe we won't), then I'd much rather trade him for a hard-to-fill position.

But sure, we should be looking at talented young PGs who could become available. I'd argue that we should be looking at ALL talented young players who can be acquired cheaply regardless of position, except perhaps at center.

That is why I feel like it shouldn't matter if we are getting a point guard or small forward IF we would ever trade Sabonis.
The point guard position might be deeper, I don't disagree with that, but it is also a more important position than the wing position, where you have 2 players who can help eachother out. If one of your wings is a star player, the other wing player can be a defensive wing with little offensive game. Point guards set up the offense a lot and have to defend other point guards setting up offenses.
DC is good enough now, but no contender wants him as their point guard. A good point guard who can play defense is IMO just as hard to find as a good small forward. That's why I have no preference.

Neither CoJo or 3 have started games this year, so the need for both positions is just as big. Assuming Sabonis can start at the 4.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#153 » by Wizop » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:00 pm

patience. let's see what the draft gives us before we move any of our youngsters.

Sent from my SM-G935P using RealGM mobile app
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#154 » by Knicksfan20 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Would you do

Hernangomez + knicks first (top 5 protected), + Chicago 2nd(basically a late first)

For Myles Turner?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#155 » by Wizop » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:Would you do

Hernangomez + knicks first (top 5 protected), + Chicago 2nd(basically a late first)

For Myles Turner?

would you do Joe young and pacer 2018 first and 2019 second for Porzingas? of course not.

Sent from my SM-G935P using RealGM mobile app
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#156 » by pacers33granger » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:42 pm

I'd have zero interest in Rozier personally. The guy has been better than I expected him to be, but we're still talking about a near 24 year old whose shooting .474 TS% (which thus far is his best season). He does other things well, but I'm not convinced he's ever anything more than a good backup.

I'm fine with Collison being the stopgap for now. I'm confident we can find a young PG with potential in the draft or elsewhere without giving up much. There's just so much talent there right now. Mostly, I'm just glad we didn't lock Hill or Teague up, both have looked terrible.
Vorda
Senior

Post#157 » by Vorda » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:30 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:Would you do

For Myles Turner?

Would you do?

Sabonis + Collison + Pacers First (TOP 10 protected)

For Porzingis?
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#158 » by Jstock12 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:11 am

At some point in the season teams might start calling Pritchard and inquiring about Thad and Bojan. Both of those guys are playing really well and could help out an upper echelon team get even better. It always sucks from an emotional standpoint to trade a good veteran player who's performing well, but other GM's might force Pritchard's hand. The offers might get too good to refuse, especially for a rebuilding team like the Pacers. Who knows, maybe the Cavs would be interested to give up the Brooklyn first-rounder for those two guys, if they keep up their level of play.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#159 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Jstock12 wrote:At some point in the season teams might start calling Pritchard and inquiring about Thad and Bojan. Both of those guys are playing really well and could help out an upper echelon team get even better. It always sucks from an emotional standpoint to trade a good veteran player who's performing well, but other GM's might force Pritchard's hand. The offers might get too good to refuse, especially for a rebuilding team like the Pacers. Who knows, maybe the Cavs would be interested to give up the Brooklyn first-rounder for those two guys, if they keep up their level of play.

Who knows, maybe if we keep plaing like this, we'll be in the upper echelon ourselves.

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,212

Post#160 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:33 pm

I think Rozier could be a nice fit but he’s not worth what is being asked in this thread.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?

Return to Indiana Pacers