George is leaving

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Re: George is leaving 

Post#141 » by BleedGreen1989 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:27 pm

SBM wrote:Of course all the green guys balk when you start talking fair value.

If you really believe that an expiring Paul George who has publicly stated he will not resign is worth:

Jayson Tatum (#3)
Avery Bradley
Jae Crowder
2018 Unprotected Brooklyn first
2018/19 SAC/LAL first

....than you have an insanely warped perception of value.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#142 » by Jake0890 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Cp3 traded to Rockets for Beverley, Williams, dekker and a 1st.

KP is missing on a lot of potential destinations by waiting this one out. He needs to get on it.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#143 » by boomershadow » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:19 pm

BleedGreen1989 wrote:

If you really believe that an expiring Paul George who has publicly stated he will not resign is worth:

Jayson Tatum (#3)
Avery Bradley
Jae Crowder
2018/19 SAC/LAL first

It seems unrealistic to me to expect that much in return as well, but I honestly don't think Boston makes any deal if they don't think they can resign George.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#144 » by SBM » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:50 pm

boomershadow wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:

Jayson Tatum (#3)
Avery Bradley
Jae Crowder
2018/19 SAC/LAL first

It seems unrealistic to me to expect that much in return as well, but I honestly don't think Boston makes any deal if they don't think they can resign George.

You halfway get it. No way I trade George for little to nothing and he becomes a Celtic for the rest of his career.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#145 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Wiretap Podcast has extensive discussion of PG options and they wind up with a Boston offer which includes Bradley and Brown and a pick. Houston has traded for CP3 and apparently wants PG although Clips got a lot of their trade pieces.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#146 » by 8305 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:55 pm

Grang33r wrote:
8305 wrote:Crowder, Bradley,LA/Sac pick 18, Clips or Griz pick 19 (would be nice if we could stipulate that we get the higher pick of the two) is a nice haul for a rebuilding team. I don't see anyone competing with this offer. Not sure I wouldn't keep Crowder and Bradley (try to extend Bradley) and try to win.

pg Lance
sg Bradely
sf Crowder
pf Young
c Turner

That's a nice starting lineup. Might even get home court in the playoffs.

I hope this doesn't come off wrong, because i don't want to sound anti-Pacers because anyone whose ever read any of my posts here knows thats far from the truth. But, this trade isn't that bad for us, but what is worst case for us i think is your last sentence.

So, for argument sake, Pacers make playoffs as 8th seed and get swept, and Bradley is a UFA.

The Pacers, having Turner (21), Leaf (19), Ike (18). The first rounder may not be until 2019. And may not even be in the top 10. So, how else would we add a star to this team? Hope for more magic in drafting a Turner or George at the end of the lottery?

The best direction for this team IMO is to build for 2020-21-ish, and by then James will be on his way out, hopefully the GSW dynasty will have cooled a bit, Boston will be aging quite a bit by then too.

If this is the trade, our best case IMO is, Lakers pick is somewhere 2-5 and our pick is somewhere between 1-7. Draft two of the top 7 players in the 2018 draft, and we'd still struggle the year after and our own pick would be another top-10 the following year and with the second pick from LAC or Memphis, we can pick a more proven, older, college player to help speed up the process. Point being, if this is the trade, i turn around and move Bradley as soon as i can, and deal Crowder at the trade deadline.

I agree we should be building toward the 2020's. I don't want to be in the same spot with Myles Turner in 2022 that we are with PG now. But, I'm not a proponent of tearing it all down.

One of the reasons if not the main reason PG and Turner developed as quickly as they did is they are playing on a team that is trying to win with some solid veteran players. Playing time wasn't just handed to them with the idea of make all the mistakes you want because we are tanking anyway. The formula, draft guys who have a path to some playing time. If they are going to get major minutes they earn it. Get them to the Playoffs as quickly as possible. Paul took a quantum leap after 2012 when Wade got the better of him. When Granger wasn't available in 2012-2013 and Paul was ready to seize the opportunity. You've got to get younger but short of generational level talent (OKC after the 2009 draft) a squad with no veteran presence is going nowhere and will stunt the development of the young talent.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#147 » by boomershadow » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:30 pm

A part of me is getting antsy to see something happen. With all the other news this morning of moves being made and such, I wish we could just start already to kind of see what we have and where we're at. It would feel better to know for sure than deal with this endless speculation. I know we're likely waiting on the beginning of free agency and a few puzzle pieces to fall into place around the league (Hayward, Griffin, and the like) before anyone can know how much they truly want Paul George. I also know Kevin Pritchard is going to be patient until the right move comes along instead of taking whatever comes along right away.

Still, the waiting is becoming difficult.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#148 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:41 pm

boomershadow wrote:Still, the waiting is becoming difficult.

at least we know what we're waiting for. we've had enough talks with Boston to convince us that if Boston is able to sign a big name free agent, they'll make a trade offer that should top the other offers. there is some risk to that though as Boston might whiff and then the Lakers' offer would get even worse unless someone else steps up.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#149 » by Jake0890 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Interesting...

According to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst, the Rockets are not stopping now, however, as they reportedly have their sights set on Paul George. Windhorst appeared on SportsCenter following the trade and noted that Rockets GM Daryl Morey has a vision of bringing in both Chris Paul and Paul George. “When the dust all settles, will anybody be standing there to try to compete with the Warriors? The Rockets are trying to make an audacious move to do that. I’m sure at this very second they are pitching Paul George. They are pitching the Indiana Pacers. ‘Come to Houston, sign a contract extension, get the deal done. Chris Paul, James Harden and Paul George, come together and let’s try to beat the Golden State Warriors.’ That’s what’s happening right now. Whether or not they can pull it off, we’ll see. His vision is to bring Paul George and Chris Paul in. Will he be able to do it? His central piece to trade is Indianapolis native Eric Gordon. Is that gonna be enough with other pieces? I don’t know, but Daryl Morey swings for the fences.”

Sounds like we'd be getting Gordon and Capela, who is an interesting prospect. Like his potential.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#150 » by Grang33r » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:21 am

How would Gordon and Capela help the Pacers? We might get 9th seed.

Unless we start shipping them away in separate deals, this is worst case for me.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Cresy06
Junior
And1: 457

Post#151 » by Cresy06 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:45 pm

This might be a crazy idea but what if:

We keep PG and try to re-sign Teague to a decent deal and keep the Team together. I really like our starting 5 plus Lance, maybe improve the bench somehow with smart trades.

Now, if PG doesn't make an All-NBA team, he can go sign wherever he wants at the end of the season. Very risky, I know. But if he does, which he should be interested in because of the huge amount of money he can make, we will assure him that, if he still wants, we will trade him once he signs the Supermax contract. Maybe he changes his mind and wants to stay, if he sees that the team is actually not that far away from seriously contending?

It's somehow a crazy situation, because it will make it harder for other teams to get him, but this way, Paul gets his huge payday, and the Pacers can get a better package in return, because I think what teams are offering now is ridiculous.

We let Lance talk to PG and convince him to give it one last shot :lol:

I am probably missing a huge downside to this theory, but I just don't want to end up like the Bulls here...I'd rather have one more competitive season before we have to rebuild. Last Season wasn't all that nice tbh
Assistant Coach

Post#152 » by 8305 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Grang33r wrote:How would Gordon and Capela help the Pacers? We might get 9th seed.

Unless we start shipping them away in separate deals, this is worst case for me.

I can't believe anyone is taking this notion seriously, frankly the LA offer is better than this. The package that went to the Clippers for Chris Paul was better than this.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#153 » by SmashMouthRod » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:34 pm

I like the idea of Otto Porter. Maybe not on a max deal. But nonetheless he played well enough this past season for it not to be that bad of a dropoff. Add in the protected first round pick and I don't feel so bad losing PG. Obviously Paul is better but Otto is budding, younger and possibly cheaper. Maybe Indy can then turn around and add a couple of young talented players in free agency to fill out the rotation.

Stephenson
????? (Maybe GR3 develops here)
Porter/GR3
Turner/ Leaf
Free Agent? (Im still hoping for Alex Len)
Wizop
RealGM

Post#154 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:27 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:Stephenson
????? (Maybe GR3 develops here)
Porter/GR3
Turner/ Leaf
Free Agent? (Im still hoping for Alex Len)

If we do the Washington deal and don't resign Teague or Miles I think the top 12 would be

Stephenson/Ellis/JYoung
Grob3/Ellis
Porter/GRob3/Niang
TYoung/Leaf/Christmas
Turner/Seraphin/Jefferson

I've put Niang at 3 because I saw him listed that way on a summer league roster. Frankly, I think we're still short a wing.

If we do the Boston deal,

Stephenson/Ellis/JYoung
Bradley/Grob3
Crowder/GRob3
TYoung/Leaf/Christmas
Turner/Seraphin/Jefferson

Either way there is room for a couple of backups particularly if Ike or Sumner are on two-way contracts.
Assistant Coach

Post#155 » by 8305 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Not sure how anyone sells Porter on this idea but, this idea makes some sense for Indiana. Porter is closer in age to Turner and has evolved into a solid player. Will never be as good as PG but, he fills a position that we shouldn't have worry about for a number of years.

As an asset I rate Porter ahead of the LA pick.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#156 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:22 pm

Just read Bruno's free agent discussion. he has Teague coming back at double his 8mm contract. I'm okay with a doubling but not a tripling. if he's back, change the rotation I posted a few minutes ago to have Teague and Stephenson be the starting backcourt in the no Bradley rotation. If we do get AB from Boston though, I'm more inclined to let Teague walk.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#157 » by Wizop » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:53 am

Heard an okc rumor

Sent from my 831C using RealGM mobile app
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#158 » by boomershadow » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:56 am

I like Sabonis even though I'm not super sure we needed another C/PF.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#159 » by pacers33granger » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:58 am

boomershadow wrote:I like Sabonis even though I'm not super sure we needed another C/PF.

Yeah we have a ton of bigs now. Our roster is a bit of a mess.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#160 » by boomershadow » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:59 am

pacers33granger wrote:
boomershadow wrote:I like Sabonis even though I'm not super sure we needed another C/PF.

Yeah we have a ton of bigs now. Our roster is a bit of a mess.

If it means Al Jefferson is on the way out, I'm all on board. I won't even complain about the no draft pick.

Return to Indiana Pacers