Welcome to the Pacers TJ Leaf!

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Welcome to the Pacers TJ Leaf! 

Post#61 » by pacers33granger » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:53 pm

My only concern is that Pritchard was trying to trade the pick up until PG said he was out. Now I don't think the front office did no work on the draft, but I believe it was on the back burner and it was expected they wouldn't have a first. So I just wonder if our pick would have been different had we always planned to make it.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: RE: Re: Welcome to the Pacers TJ Leaf! 

Post#62 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:26 pm

pacers33granger wrote:My only concern is that Pritchard was trying to trade the pick up until PG said he was out. Now I don't think the front office did no work on the draft, but I believe it was on the back burner and it was expected they wouldn't have a first. So I just wonder if our pick would have been different had we always planned to make it.

Carr and his group evaluated everyone. There was an article on their draft prep. I can't remember if it was in the star or brunos blog but they were ready for all possibilities.

Sent from my SM-T237P using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: RE: Re: Welcome to the Pacers TJ Leaf! 

Post#63 » by pacers33granger » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:49 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:My only concern is that Pritchard was trying to trade the pick up until PG said he was out. Now I don't think the front office did no work on the draft, but I believe it was on the back burner and it was expected they wouldn't have a first. So I just wonder if our pick would have been different had we always planned to make it.

Carr and his group evaluated everyone. There was an article on their draft prep. I can't remember if it was in the star or brunos blog but they were ready for all possibilities.

I'd hope they evaluated everyone even if we didn't have pick. I guess my concern is moreso that the team still doesn't know what direction it wants to go in, so how can you make the best pick?
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Welcome to the Pacers TJ Leaf! 

Post#64 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:16 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I'd hope they evaluated everyone even if we didn't have pick. I guess my concern is moreso that the team still doesn't know what direction it wants to go in, so how can you make the best pick?

We need shooting from the four with or without PG.

Sent from my 831C using RealGM mobile app
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#65 » by TTown » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:01 pm

i saw a lot of ucla basketball out here on the west coast. offensively, leaf is a much better shooter than hanbsorough, and plays with a lot more fluidity. he's a lot tougher inside than most people assume. thomas welsch, ucla's starting center, is the marshmellow who got pushed around; leaf's surprisingly aggressive in the paint. very good passer, good basketball IQ. i always thought he played well in the big arenas (rupp, mchale, knight).

defensively, eh... he hustles and at least he tries. his lateral quickness is average. in today's world of stretch 4's, he's adequate.

pair him w/ turner once he's ready and going forward and i think indy has a really unique, versatile frontcourt that can cause a lot of match-up problems. i like the pick. he's not the project a lot of other big's still on the board would be. i don't think hansborough is the proper comparison at all. i heard scola thrown around earlier, but indy got scola late in his career and leaf can move about the court so much quicker than scola ever could. leaf's drive-and-pull-up game separates him from channing frye. i'm not entirely sure who to compare him to, but i very much like the pick.
ImageImageImageImage
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,277

Post#66 » by boomershadow » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:43 pm

Global Game
Junior
And1: 70

Post#67 » by Global Game » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:28 am

I wonder if Leaf can play some small forward.
Bit's
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#68 » by Bit's » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:25 am

No way he could play at Small forward, even in a big rotation.

I like what I'm watching from him in the offensive side in this Summer League, he has a lot of skills, can score in different ways, is quick, can score around the basket, has some outside shooting and has good IQ. But on defense...he's just far from being ready, he's getting bullied by some G League Players. He needs to add a lot of muscle, I don't even see him playing so much this rookie season, he has the skills, he has to spend a lot of time in the weight room.
Indiana Pacers!
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#69 » by Grang33r » Thu Jul 6, 2017 5:43 am

A lot of excellent analysis in this thread. Good job guys, you guys rock!
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#70 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:59 pm

I think I may have preferred Collins heading into the draft, but I'm not upset at all with Leaf. He's certainly a mobile big that can shoot, and isn't supposed to be a complete waste on defense. In all, he projects to actually be a solid fit in the NBA as a big man. He can score at multiple levels, and stretch the floor, too. Ultimately, it looks like we can play any 2 of Turner, Sabonis, and Leaf together at the 4/5 positions long term and do ok. He may have been a bit of a safer pick at the time, but again, I have absolutely no issue with it.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:22 pm

Forget why but I scratched Collins. Shooting perhaps.

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#72 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:08 am

Wizop wrote:Forget why but I scratched Collins. Shooting perhaps.

Probably, and that's fair. I think why he fell so far, but he strikes me as a guy that is going to be uber productive for a long time. Maybe more of a Zach Randolph type player, but more athletic?
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#73 » by 8305 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:16 pm

I recall reading that Collin's assist/touch percentage was at the bottom of the Draft Express database. In an offense build around ball movement that could be a big deal. It sounds like Collins is the better comp to Hansborough.
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Post#74 » by tocooks101 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 4:20 pm

Global Game wrote:I wonder if Leaf can play some small forward.

He can't.

Love the pick though, gonna be a great pro.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#75 » by SBM » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Collins looks like a steal. All I can say is I called it all alone
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,288

Post#76 » by Jstock12 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:45 pm

SBM wrote:Collins looks like a steal. All I can say is I called it all alone

Zach or John?
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#77 » by SBM » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:24 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
SBM wrote:Collins looks like a steal. All I can say is I called it all alone

Zach or John?

John
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#78 » by Miller4ever » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:38 am

I finally got a chance to go back and watch some of his summer league action. I like him. He's got more upside and athleticism than people are giving him credit for.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#79 » by Moooose » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:37 am

I personally like the pick as he and Turner can both stretch the floor. He plays a bit awkward / stiff at times but that's the same issue with Turner when he came out of college.

I don't know if it is just me, but his "awkwardness" or lack of flashiness reminds me of Christian Laettner. I think it is too much to hope if he can ever get the athleticism of a Raef LaFrentz, but he can be effective without being overly athletic.

Return to Indiana Pacers