Pacers to file tampering charges against Lakers

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Kirito
Senior
And1: 223

Re: Pacers to file tampering charges against Lakers 

Post#41 » by Kirito » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:27 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
boomershadow wrote:I am actually really stoked that this is happening. I was really pessimistic about anything being able to be done. My attitude during the PG trade search was just that this is kind of the way the league and players operate these days. Players so often try to team up, recruit each other, choose their own destinations so often anymore that I didn't think much could realistically happen, just a crummy situation for us. Maybe that's still the case and nothing will come out of this, but I am glad to see some sort of action taken.

Because it wasn't really appropriate at all for the Lakers to be recruiting him for the future while we were still trying to take him to other teams. It almost certainly affected the return that we were able to get, and I know several posters here were super ticked about it.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/08/21/lakers-magic-johnson-paul-george-thunder-pacers-tampering-jimmy-kimmel

Read this article in SI. It's one thing for players to talk to each other, but when management is talking to the players or representatives of the player who is under contract with another team it's a whole different ballgame. George had 2 more years on his deal with the Pacers. Yes you count the option year because PG could have exercised it.

If, however, the Lakers’ tampering proved more extensive, such as communications between Lakers officials and George or his representatives, then it would be an entirely different ballgame. Some of the more draconian punishments mentioned above—such as the Lakers having to transfer draft picks to the Pacers or George being barred from signing with the Lakers—would become plausible outcomes.

If the NBA concludes that the Lakers and/or Johnson tampered, potential penalties would range from a warning, a fine that wouldn’t exceed $5 million, a suspension of Johnson for a definite or indefinite period, forfeiture of Lakers’ draft picks, transfer of Lakers’ draft picks to the Pacers or—and this is the big one—a prohibition placed on the Lakers from signing George for a definite or indefinite period.

That last part has me excited. I'm 99.9% sure the Lakers Management did tamper with PG through his agent and there were reports that Johnson met with members of PG's family.

Light them up Commish!

You was 100% correct we got nailed and nailed herder then any team before for a grand total of 500k I dont know what the Lakers will do now =*(
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Post#42 » by tocooks101 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 pm

Kirito wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
boomershadow wrote:I am actually really stoked that this is happening. I was really pessimistic about anything being able to be done. My attitude during the PG trade search was just that this is kind of the way the league and players operate these days. Players so often try to team up, recruit each other, choose their own destinations so often anymore that I didn't think much could realistically happen, just a crummy situation for us. Maybe that's still the case and nothing will come out of this, but I am glad to see some sort of action taken.

Because it wasn't really appropriate at all for the Lakers to be recruiting him for the future while we were still trying to take him to other teams. It almost certainly affected the return that we were able to get, and I know several posters here were super ticked about it.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/08/21/lakers-magic-johnson-paul-george-thunder-pacers-tampering-jimmy-kimmel

Read this article in SI. It's one thing for players to talk to each other, but when management is talking to the players or representatives of the player who is under contract with another team it's a whole different ballgame. George had 2 more years on his deal with the Pacers. Yes you count the option year because PG could have exercised it.

If, however, the Lakers’ tampering proved more extensive, such as communications between Lakers officials and George or his representatives, then it would be an entirely different ballgame. Some of the more draconian punishments mentioned above—such as the Lakers having to transfer draft picks to the Pacers or George being barred from signing with the Lakers—would become plausible outcomes.

If the NBA concludes that the Lakers and/or Johnson tampered, potential penalties would range from a warning, a fine that wouldn’t exceed $5 million, a suspension of Johnson for a definite or indefinite period, forfeiture of Lakers’ draft picks, transfer of Lakers’ draft picks to the Pacers or—and this is the big one—a prohibition placed on the Lakers from signing George for a definite or indefinite period.

That last part has me excited. I'm 99.9% sure the Lakers Management did tamper with PG through his agent and there were reports that Johnson met with members of PG's family.

Light them up Commish!

You was 100% correct we got nailed and nailed herder then any team before for a grand total of 500k I dont know what the Lakers will do now =*(

Lakers will survive just fine paying the $500,000 and taking this L, just like they have survived taking more L's than any other team in the western conference the last 5 years.
Kirito
Senior

Post#43 » by Kirito » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 pm

tocooks101 wrote:
Kirito wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Light them up Commish!

Lakers will survive just fine paying the $500,000 and taking this L, just like they have survived taking more L's than any other team in the western conference the last 5 years.

tocooks101
Senior

Post#44 » by tocooks101 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:55 pm

Kirito wrote:
tocooks101 wrote:
Kirito wrote:You was 100% correct we got nailed and nailed herder then any team before for a grand total of 500k I dont know what the Lakers will do now =*(

^ When a Laker fan loses a logical discussion and panics :lol:
Kirito
Senior

Post#45 » by Kirito » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 pm

tocooks101 wrote:
Kirito wrote:
tocooks101 wrote:

Yes this is a sound argument Lakers will survive just fine paying the $500,000 and taking this L, just like they have survived taking more L's than any other team in the western conference the last 5 years. Not a troll post / Jab at the Lakers....

Did you just get triggered when you saw that so now you QQ?
tocooks101
Senior

Post#46 » by tocooks101 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:28 pm

Kirito wrote:
tocooks101 wrote:
Kirito wrote:Image

Yes this is a sound argument Lakers will survive just fine paying the $500,000 and taking this L, just like they have survived taking more L's than any other team in the western conference the last 5 years. Not a troll post / Jab at the Lakers....

This post makes less sense than your Laker banners being posted in a thread about tampering, try again.
Kirito
Senior

Post#47 » by Kirito » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:25 pm

tocooks101 wrote:
This post makes less sense than your Laker banners being posted in a thread about tampering, try again.

seeing how the banners was posted in response to you posting

Me posting the picture of the banners that triggered you was not pointless. so just keep QQ
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#48 » by Miller4ever » Fri Sep 1, 2017 6:17 am

Calm down children. Where are the mods at?
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#49 » by Danny Darko » Fri Sep 1, 2017 6:43 am

Kirito, please disengage from this thread. Not at all cool to flame this board on this topic
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#50 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Sep 1, 2017 7:42 am

Lakers show blatant disregard for NBA rules. This fine while a large amount of money is chump change to the NBA teams this will have no deterrent effect to stop this kind of sleazy BS from happening again.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#51 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Sep 1, 2017 7:44 am

Kirito wrote:
tocooks101 wrote:

seeing how the banners was posted in response to you posting

Me posting the picture of the banners that triggered you was not pointless. so just keep QQ

Kirito why don't you forget how to come to this board from now on. You want to run you yap doing on your own teams board.
Camping Fan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#52 » by Camping Fan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:12 am

It's over already with a 500,000 fine - a slap on the wrist and well worth it if the Lakers gets Paul George this summer. Every team in the league has done the same thing - so lets not deceive ourselves
Lakers 2020
Camping Fan
Senior

Post#53 » by Camping Fan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:17 am

tocooks101 wrote:
Kirito wrote:
tocooks101 wrote:

As a Lakers fan, I apologize for these posts - I wouldn't appreciate these kind of pictures being posted in the Lakers fans -although I would expect anything from a Boston Celtics fan. That was in extremely poor taste. I do like talking to other players besides Lakers fans, but I do respect the Pacers organization and wish them and all of their fans a successful season. I was hoping they was ready to take their team to the next level and then PG did what he did.

Again - as a Lakers fan - I don't approve - even though my comments may not carry any weight.
Lakers 2020
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#54 » by NPZ » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Camping Fan wrote:It's over already with a 500,000 fine - a slap on the wrist and well worth it if the Lakers gets Paul George this summer. Every team in the league has done the same thing - so lets not deceive ourselves

With that latest Magic interview on Spectrum, we still don't even know wtf the fine was for. The league didn't say it was for the Kimmel comment or if it was because of phone calls between George's agent and Pelinka (who has other players under the same agent). It was like a show over the bow. If there was nothing there, it's unfair whether the FO is taking it on the chin or not. It's like they're just accepting it while denying they did anything wrong just so they can slip under the radar again. I think the NBA was warning LA not to tamper with Brawn, not George. Another garbage move by Stern's butt buddy Silver. That guy is every bit the same weasel that Stern was. The fact he got rid of Sterling means nothing. Easiest move in the world to get good press from. They had decades of Sterling's questionable behavior and accusations of racist comments/behavior and didn't do sh about it until he was literally a clinically-diagnosed senile codger with one foot already in the grave. He brought a woman into their shower room and said, "Look at those beautiful black bodies." They knew about his proclivities for years, but never had the stomach to say boo to him.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
Camping Fan
Senior

Post#55 » by Camping Fan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:31 am

NPZ wrote:
Camping Fan wrote:It's over already with a 500,000 fine - a slap on the wrist and well worth it if the Lakers gets Paul George this summer. Every team in the league has done the same thing - so lets not deceive ourselves

With that latest Magic interview on Spectrum, we still don't even know wtf the fine was for. The league didn't say it was for the Kimmel comment or if it was because of phone calls between George's agent and Pelinka (who has other players under the same agent). It was like a show over the bow. If there was nothing there, it's unfair whether the FO is taking it on the chin or not. It's like they're just accepting it while denying they did anything wrong just so they can slip under the radar again. I think the NBA was warning LA not to tamper with Brawn, not George. Another garbage move by Stern's butt buddy Silver. That guy is every bit the same weasel that Stern was. The fact he got rid of Sterling means nothing. Easiest move in the world to get good press from. They had decades of Sterling's questionable behavior and accusations of racist comments/behavior and didn't do sh about it until he was literally a clinically-diagnosed senile codger with one foot already in the grave. He brought a woman into their shower room and said, "Look at those beautiful black bodies." They knew about his proclivities for years, but never had the stomach to say boo to him.

Actually they did - when he did that interview on Fallon's late night show - he got a prompt call the next day from the NBA front office and was warned that would be tampering. They later found out through the phone records that Rob Pelinka had a conversation with Paul George which was a huge no - Granted that they all probably do it, still doesn't excuse them. We already know that the Lakers are second in championships only to the Celtics and can be like David, King of Israel who had thousands of sheep and went out and slaughter the sheep of the man that only one. That was the parable the prophet gave David after he had Bathseba's husband so no one would know that he got her pregnant. In all honesty - the Lakers might not necessarily want Paul George and Paul George might find a better deal in the summer - The grass is not always greener on the other side. Hey good luck to the Pacers though
Lakers 2020

Return to Indiana Pacers