Sabonis as a Starter?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

pacers70
Junior
And1: 69

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sabonis as a Starter? 

Post#41 » by pacers70 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers70 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
I'm all in on trying Thad at 3.

Sent from my SM-G935P using RealGM mobile app

If Thad could play the 3, he would have been playing there a long time ago.

not sure I buy that. We had no need for him to play the three last year and Leaf has been more ready to play this year than we expected. he could flop there, but it's worth trying.

True, we did not need him at the 3 last year but this is his 9th year and 3rd or 4th team, somewhere along the line he would have been needed to play the 3 especially for a guy that is only 6’8” and 220 pounds. His body is more suited to be a 3 that could play 4, if his talents matched that then that is what he would have been throughout his career. Instead he has become a 4 that can play 3 depending on the matchup.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sabonis as a Starter? 

Post#42 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:09 pm

pacers70 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
pacers70 wrote:
If Thad could play the 3, he would have been playing there a long time ago.

not sure I buy that. We had no need for him to play the three last year and Leaf has been more ready to play this year than we expected. he could flop there, but it's worth trying.

True, we did not need him at the 3 last year but this is his 9th year and 3rd or 4th team, somewhere along the line he would have been needed to play the 3.

true, but he only needs to be better than Wilkins to deserve 12 to 18 minutes at SF. plus I didn't pay any attention to where he played before he came here.

Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Re: Sabonis as a Starter? 

Post#43 » by winter_mute_13 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:38 am

Thad is currently leading the team in total minutes played, in a tie with Oladipo (Collison is just a shade under.) Nate is probably already playing him as much as he can.
pacers70
Junior

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sabonis as a Starter? 

Post#44 » by pacers70 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers70 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

True, we did not need him at the 3 last year but this is his 9th year and 3rd or 4th team, somewhere along the line he would have been needed to play the 3.

true, but he only needs to be better than Wilkins to deserve 12 to 18 minutes at SF. plus I didn't pay any attention to where he played before he came here.

Thad has always been a PF in the NBA. He has slid over to SF when the matchups allow but that hasn't been very often.

We need to try something at SF as Wilkins and Bojan aren't really getting the job done (I know it's only 3 games into the season but it doesn't look promising), I'd be all for trying TYoung or my preference of Leaf.

If Leaf could adequately handle SF, a starting frontline of Leaf/Turner/Sabonis would really interest me.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#45 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:39 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:Thad is currently leading the team in total minutes played, in a tie with Oladipo (Collison is just a shade under.) Nate is probably already playing him as much as he can.

not pushing for more minutes. just suggesting Thad get some minutes at second unit SF when Turner returns and Sabonis gets fewer minutes at 5 and can play more minutes at 4.

I'd be okay with giving Leaf a try there too but also with the second unit.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#46 » by cruwinas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Wizop wrote:
winter_mute_13 wrote:Thad is currently leading the team in total minutes played, in a tie with Oladipo (Collison is just a shade under.) Nate is probably already playing him as much as he can.

not pushing for more minutes. just suggesting Thad get some minutes at second unit SF when Turner returns and Sabonis gets fewer minutes at 5 and can play more minutes at 4.

Sabonis has quick feet, wonder, if he could play some at 3. Would be interesting :)
:crazy:
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#47 » by Jstock12 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:13 pm

cruwinas wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sabonis has quick feet, wonder, if he could play some at 3. Would be interesting :)

At NCAA level he sometimes defended the SFs quite succesfully, but I think it would be too hard for him to do that against NBA athletes.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,350

Post#48 » by Nuntius » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:03 pm

Sabonis is gonna be starting by January, imo. I believe that he is our PF of the future.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,318

Post#49 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:57 am

Nuntius wrote:Sabonis is gonna be starting by January, imo. I believe that he is our PF of the future.

I hope so, but I just don't see Thad losing his spot unless he is injured. I want Sabonis to start at 4 now.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#50 » by boomershadow » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:32 am

My only hesitance with starting Sabonis at the 4 is that he has seemed to thrive in the more inside role he gets at the 5 spot.
pacers70
Junior

Post#51 » by pacers70 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:13 pm

boomershadow wrote:My only hesitance with starting Sabonis at the 4 is that he has seemed to thrive in the more inside role he gets at the 5 spot.

I think with Sabonis and Turner both starting, Sabonis would play the 5 on offense and the 4 on defense and obviously vice versa for Turner.
Major Cold
Freshman
And1: 28

Post#52 » by Major Cold » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Neither Sabonis nor Myles are great pick and roll defenders. They struggle to closeout on perimeter bigs, but not as bad as Al. I am afraid that having them log too many minutes together would slow our pace down.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,318

Post#53 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:59 pm

boomershadow wrote:My only hesitance with starting Sabonis at the 4 is that he has seemed to thrive in the more inside role he gets at the 5 spot.

No reason he couldn't do that with Turner there too. They could rotate where ever as both Turner and Sabonis are capable(good in Turner's case) shooters.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#54 » by Vorda » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:25 am

He is to big and slow to start at 4... he's future is on 5, especially when he became stronger... that's good cause he has great post skills, only he has to be tougher in defense, Town destroyed him last night...
cold_cowboy
Veteran
And1: 2,220

Post#55 » by cold_cowboy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:53 am

Vorda wrote:He is to big and slow to start at 4... he's future is on 5, especially when he became stronger... that's good cause he has great post skills, only he has to be tougher in defense, Town destroyed him last night...

he's not big nor slow for the 4.

matter of fact, he's closer to a 3 than to a 5 with his 3 point range, quick foot work, and charging to the basket abilities.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#56 » by Vorda » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:25 am

cold_cowboy wrote:
Vorda wrote:He is to big and slow to start at 4... he's future is on 5, especially when he became stronger... that's good cause he has great post skills, only he has to be tougher in defense, Town destroyed him last night...

matter of fact, he's closer to a 3 than to a 5 with his 3 point range, quick foot work, and charging to the basket abilities.

3??? I dont think so... he has never played on 3, he's just to big and slow, how could he defend quick wing players... I'm looking his post skills and I think he will be 5 in future, especially when he gets more weigth...
Yunsen
Senior
And1: 263

Post#57 » by Yunsen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:44 am

Vorda wrote:
cold_cowboy wrote:

3??? I dont think so... he has never played on 3, he's just to big and slow, how could he defend quick wing players... I'm looking his post skills and I think he will be 5 in future, especially when he gets more weigth...

He briefly played the 3 in college when our 3 best players were bigs so Mark Few started Sabonis, Wiltjer and Karnowski together before Karnowski got injured.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#58 » by cruwinas » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 am

Domas is a true PF. He needs a C beside him who is tall, has length, rim protector. Sure, if opposing team wants to play small - be my guest.
What I like - he moves so well, makes right reads. Passes the ball, takes a shot, drives, etc..
:crazy:
Juscius
Sophomore
And1: 178

Post#59 » by Juscius » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 am

Towns destroys EVERYBODY that goes against him.
You could make argument that Towns is best offensive bigman in league and pretty close to being best bigman overall (close to AD).

And imo Sabonis defence was really good when he wasnt in foul trouble. With foul trouble he didn't know how to play. He was letting Kat score free baskets on him. I guess he has just one gear - "turbo" in his arsenal and when he needs to tune in it down, he struggles.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#60 » by Pacersike » Wed Nov 1, 2017 10:32 am

It's going to feel weird when they move Sabonis back to the bench, dude has been amazing and one of our best players.

I can't wait to see him and Turner starting together. Myles woud have an easier job if we use Sabonis as the main screen setter and Domas has enough court vision and passing skills to pass it to Myles. Myles prefers to pop, Domas prefers to roll.

Question is, would he struggle more defending smallball 4s than smallball 4s would struggle to defend us?
I think not. Going bigger while continuing to play fast is the next step the league is going to take IMO
The Pelicans would be a great team if they had good players besides Davis and Cousins. Teams are too small to defend 2 very good players with their size. Speed is great but speed and size is better.

Sure, D and M are not that good, but those 2 Pacers have much better teammates. The way Sabonis has emerged it will have more advantages than disadvantages starting him and Turner together. Few smallball 4s can bang with Sabonis inside and if we can just find ourselves a good defending small forward, we will at worst have shifted our defensive liability from the 3 to the 4 position. If Bogdanovic is allowed to guards trees, Sabonis should be allowed to guard big trees.

Don't want to trade Thad though. He can guard all kinds of trees decently. :)

Return to Indiana Pacers