Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Re: NBA draft & NCAA basketball 

Post#261 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 2, 2019 12:33 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I'm really interested in watching Matisse Thybulle from Washington

mocks having him going around where we'll pick. some also have Romeo that low. passing on Romeo would bring forth all of the passing on Alford stories. I'm with you though on taking the defender over the slasher.

I like Wilkes from UCLA and he''s from Indianapolis as well. That would make 3 years in a row we take a guy from UCLA. He's got the makings of a good defender. At 6'8'' 215 he's got a 6'11'' wing span and an 8'8'' standing reach, so that kind of length could make him a good defender if he tries at it.

I don't think Romeo is ready for the NBA and should go back to school, but he'll likely be in the draft the lure of that money even if he's 25th in the 1st round is too strong.

We also brought him in for a solo workout last year when he declared without an agent, so it would appear there was clearly some interest there with Wilkes.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#262 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 2, 2019 12:36 pm

Tom White wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:That said, with as much as Romeo Langford has struggled this year, if we brought him in with our first rounder I wouldn't be upset. The kid HAS to develop a jumpshot, but he hustles, has a good head on his shoulders, and can FINISH at the rim. With the way his stock has dropped, I think it could be a steal. I see him a-la Shaun Livingston.

Langford's stock has dropped for a reason. He just isn't as good as the hype surrounding him. I would not waste a pick on him. You mention hustle? If you want hustle, Morgan is the player from that team who did that. Not Langford.

I wouldn't spend a lotto pick on him, but when we're likely to be picking in the 20-25 range, I think he's probably a good fit there. Flawed players aabound in that range, and the question is whether the plusses outweight the minuses with Langford, and whether the shot can be fixed at all, and to what extent.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#263 » by Jake0890 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 1:10 pm

Tom White wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:That said, with as much as Romeo Langford has struggled this year, if we brought him in with our first rounder I wouldn't be upset. The kid HAS to develop a jumpshot, but he hustles, has a good head on his shoulders, and can FINISH at the rim. With the way his stock has dropped, I think it could be a steal. I see him a-la Shaun Livingston.

Langford's stock has dropped for a reason. He just isn't as good as the hype surrounding him. I would not waste a pick on him. You mention hustle? If you want hustle, Morgan is the player from that team who did that. Not Langford.

Langford's stock dropped because he couldn't carry a dysfunctional IU team for the first half of the season. I'm not saying he's cut out to be a superstar, but the reasons he had his stock so high in the first place are still there.

Morgan has been a fantastic college basketball player and has been a class act, but he's not an NBA player, in my estimation.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#264 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:04 pm

We will pick in the 18-20 range, with tiebreakers to be determined via coin flips tomorrow. We are tied with San Antonio and the Clippers (whose pick will convey to the Celtics).
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#265 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:We will pick in the 18-20 range, with tiebreakers to be determined via coin flips tomorrow. We are tied with San Antonio and the Clippers (whose pick will convey to the Celtics).

We won the coin flip and will select 18th and 50th overall in the draft.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#266 » by Wizop » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:43 pm

anyone belong to ESPN insider? I'm curious who they mock 16 to 20.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#267 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Vorda - do you have any opinions on European players worthy of being taken at 18 or 50?
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#268 » by Jake0890 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:29 pm

Wizop wrote:anyone belong to ESPN insider? I'm curious who they mock 16 to 20.

Sent from my phone.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.264045004.1308212108.1555465835-1923770492.1551293002

not ESPN insider, but that's better anyway.

Two names I like around our region - Ty Jerome and Rui Hachimura.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#269 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:53 pm

Jake0890 wrote:Two names I like around our region - Ty Jerome and Rui Hachimura.

I like Kevin Porter (USC) and you can't overlook anyone from Kentucky or Gonzaga. also Euros should get a hard look. I'm still waiting for a Vorda report on that.

where is the roster spot?

Joseph [or DC, not both], Holiday, Sumner
    Vic, Matthes?, Sumner
    Bogie, McDermott
    Sabonis, Leat, Alize [Young????]
    Turner, Sabonis, Leaf

looks more like 3/4 than 1/2 or 2/3, but a lot depends upon whether we bring back Young or Matthews (or both)
Wizop
RealGM

Post#270 » by Wizop » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:47 pm

Sekou?

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#271 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:03 am

Wizop wrote:Sekou?

Sent from my phone.

I know nothing about him except that he’s being projected in the 7-15 range, but I also think all the sites know nothing about him right now either :lol:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#272 » by Wizop » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:11 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:Sekou?

Sent from my phone.

I know nothing about him except that he’s being projected in the 7-15 range, but I also think all the sites know nothing about him right now either
agree. keep hoping Vorda will give us some scouting.

Sent from my phone.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#273 » by Moooose » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:50 pm

I've only seen Doumbouya in France's FIBA U18 team with Ntilikina still in it. He looked promising in the tournament, but still quite raw. Big, agile, active. I don't see him falling outside the lottery though. The Stepien review about him is quite accurate at that time, late last year, I guess. I'd say top ten once the combine and private workouts begin. Best ceiling among the other SF/PF's in Hunter and Clarke, IMO.

Bitazde last year is a late 2nd rounder at best. He has improved and is worthy of a first round selection this year. Looks a lot like Alex Len to me, but his footwork on his post game is intriguing. At times he looks like a bigger Domas (especially on pick and rolls) who can posterize and block shots. A possibility but a gentle reach at the 18th, IMO, but he is not as raw as the others in that mid tier. Boston can use one of their early 20's pick for him or maybe Utah will.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#274 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:38 pm

how do you feel about Grant Williams? is he a tweener or a legitimate 3/4 combo?

Hachimura or Clarke from Gonzago? Washingto from KY. Thybulle from Washington. Euros? lots of 4's seem to be mocked below the 3's.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#275 » by pacers33granger » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:58 pm

I know little about any prospects at this point, but for some reason I feel like we will end up with a Solo Hill type pick this draft. Someone whose ceiling is a role player and looks like a reach but may end up being fine for a mid first. KP takes more risks than Bird though, so maybe not.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#276 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:25 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I know little about any prospects at this point, but for some reason I feel like we will end up with a Solo Hill type pick this draft. Someone whose ceiling is a role player and looks like a reach but may end up being fine for a mid first. KP takes more risks than Bird though, so maybe not.

Matisse Thybulle it is!
Moooose
Starter

Post#277 » by Moooose » Wed May 1, 2019 4:32 pm

Wizop wrote:how do you feel about Grant Williams? is he a tweener or a legitimate 3/4 combo?

Hachimura or Clarke from Gonzago? Washingto from KY. Thybulle from Washington. Euros? lots of 4's seem to be mocked below the 3's.

My take on the draftees:

Grant Williams: I am high on this guy when we are at the 20th. Not saying I don't like him at 18. I just think we now have a shot at players who seem to be on a higher tier than him in Bol Bol, Jaxson Hayes, Romeo Langford, maybe even Nassir Little, whoever slips that far.

I've been intrigued by his old school style of play and I really can't think of any close NBA comparison for him. He could be a lite version of Draymond Green at best, slower but bigger PJ Tucker, Corliss Williamson with court vision, more physical Boris Diaw. My fear is that he becomes Georges Niang 2.0 as a worst case scenario but I think his physicality and work ethic are what separates him from Niang. I think he's a tweener but I am hoping he'd prove he can play the same positions Draymond Green are playing. Being a tweener is not as bad as it used to be anyways. He's closer to a 4/5 than a 3/4, IMO. His basketball IQ would fit very well with the Pacers.

Hachimura or Clarke? Hachimura by a mile. The glaring difference I see is potential. Clarke is the more established player but Hachimura's potential is hard to ignore. I think the expectation with Hachimura is that he could turn out to be a Giannis 2.0. Brandon Clarke would probably be serviceable but nobody knows how his game would translate to the pros, notably his offense. Good stats and all for Clarke but he is lacking the X-factor. Clarke plays big but the NBA is way bigger. Unless he develops a reliable outside shot, his floor stays low. I wouldn't be surprised to see Clarke slip into the mid-20's. Also, I think marketing would affect Hachimura's actual draft stock.

PJ Washington - Plays a lot like a pro. I don't know if it's just me but with a little bulk, this guy could play like David West. Recent bigs from Kentucky almost, always turn out good in the pros. Not an exciting pick, but is not too raw as compared to others. Probably a gentle reach at 18, even at 20.

Matisse Thybulle - One of the players I expect/hope to climb up the draft boards dramatically once the workouts begin. Best asset is that he can be a game-changer defensively. One of the guys all other teams from pick 19 and beyond (playoff teams; except for Cleveland maybe) would want in their roster. I am seeing the comparisons to Danny Green a lot but I think his game is / will be closer to Thabo Sefolosha. If he can prove in the workouts that he can hit threes consistently, I'd want the Pacers to gamble on this guy. Him over Keldon Johnson and Nickeil Alexander - Walker, IMO.

Euros - I think this year's a weak one for the Euros. Aside from Doumbouya and Bitazde, there are no other legit 1st to mid-2nd rounder international prospects this year. I have been seeing Samanic getting mentioned a lot as a possible early second rounder but the kid is still quite raw to me. He's got potential but he'd be a long project, it seems. Yovel Zoosman and Servydis are not getting much attention and I personally think they're way better prospects than Samanic at this point.

Bruno Fernando, Kabengele, and Garland are on the rise. Brandon Clarke, Keldon Johnson, Gafford, Alexander - Walker seems to be slipping.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#278 » by Wizop » Wed May 1, 2019 5:12 pm

Moooose wrote:My fear is that he becomes Georges Niang 2.0 as a worst case scenario

Niang's contributing now with Utah though. perhaps we gave up on him too soon. then again he was a 2nd round pick and were he to be drafted now he would have gotten a 2-way contract which could have helped him get better faster.

after watching today's presser, I'm going to take a new look at the board with an emphasis on speed and shot creation.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#279 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 1, 2019 6:04 pm

Moooose wrote:
Euros - I think this year's a weak one for the Euros. Aside from Doumbouya and Bitazde, there are no other legit 1st to mid-2nd rounder international prospects this year. I have been seeing Samanic getting mentioned a lot as a possible early second rounder but the kid is still quite raw to me. He's got potential but he'd be a long project, it seems. Yovel Zoosman and Servydis are not getting much attention and I personally think they're way better prospects than Samanic at this point.

Just gut instinct, but with teams like Boston, San Antonio, Cleveland, and Brooklyn have multiple picks, and with their extra picks being late 1sts, I think if they can't move around the board a bit or trade them for future 1sts, they'll end up taking Euro draft and stash prospects that may not be 1st round caliber, but allows them to keep the "prospect" while not having to pay them so soon.

But all this will change mightily with the combine and workouts.
Moooose
Starter

Post#280 » by Moooose » Thu May 2, 2019 2:43 am

Wizop wrote:
Moooose wrote:My fear is that he becomes Georges Niang 2.0 as a worst case scenario

Niang's contributing now with Utah though. perhaps we gave up on him too soon. then again he was a 2nd round pick and were he to be drafted now he would have gotten a 2-way contract which could have helped him get better faster.

after watching today's presser, I'm going to take a new look at the board with an emphasis on speed and shot creation.

Niang was good coming off college. He did not fit well with the Pacers at that time. Golden State was high on him on the draft and gave him a chance after his stint with us. I expected him to somehow be serviceable for the Warriors considering he fits the small ball well, but he didn't. Abdel Nader's been having a better career so far, IMO.

Looks like Pritchard is excited for the draft.

Return to Indiana Pacers