NBA draft & NCAA basketball

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: NBA draft & NCAA basketball 

Post#121 » by Wizop » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:34 pm

8305 wrote:Nbadraft.net has us taking Zhaire Smith (Texas Tech).

I hope that mock is way off because I don't like what they have in the bottom of the first. they have my targets all much lower. if they're right, I'd sure talk to Philly about packaging our first for a bunch of seconds and a first next year.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Yunsen
Senior
And1: 263

Post#122 » by Yunsen » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:33 am

I think I rather trade down than trade up. Our pick isn’t good enough that we could make a package to get someone like Mikal Bridges. 30 and 33 for our pick is intriguing but I don’t like it for where we are now. Last year the Lakers traded 28 for 30 and 42. If we can move ahead of Cleveland and Philly and our pick is 24 or 25 instead then I think I might do it.
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: NBA draft & NCAA basketball 

Post#123 » by Wizop » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:25 am

Yunsen wrote:I think I rather trade down than trade up. Our pick isn’t good enough that we could make a package to get someone like Mikal Bridges. 30 and 33 for our pick is intriguing but I don’t like it for where we are now. Last year the Lakers traded 28 for 30 and 42. If we can move ahead of Cleveland and Philly and our pick is 24 or 25 instead then I think I might do it.
I'm with you on not trying to move up and Pritchard has a history of draft day trades but I think we could get Bates-Diop or Brunson where we are. We might get them lower but the Dwight Freeney rule says if your guy is there, just take him.

Sent from my phone.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#124 » by MUpacersSIC » Sun Apr 1, 2018 2:07 am

Wizop wrote:
Yunsen wrote:I think I rather trade down than trade up. Our pick isn’t good enough that we could make a package to get someone like Mikal Bridges. 30 and 33 for our pick is intriguing but I don’t like it for where we are now. Last year the Lakers traded 28 for 30 and 42. If we can move ahead of Cleveland and Philly and our pick is 24 or 25 instead then I think I might do it.
I'm with you on not trying to move up and Pritchard has a history of draft day trades but I think we could get Bates-Diop or Brunson where we are. We might get them lower but the Dwight Freeney rule says if your guy is there, just take him.

Sent from my phone.

I'm definitely coming around to Brunson. Anyone know much about his defense? I haven't watched much of Villanova unless they play an Indiana schools (like Butler).
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#125 » by Jake0890 » Sun Apr 1, 2018 2:37 am

I think Brunsons biggest issue is just his size. He’s a late first round prospect I think because he lacks the explosiveness to make up for his size like Frank Mason before him.

Mikal Bridges and Malik Newman are two guys I think we should take a look at.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#126 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Apr 1, 2018 5:38 am

I like Brunson despite his size and Bates-Diop both seem ready to play. But unless we are eating a giant salary like Batum's I don't see a way to move up. It went through my mind that a deal might be possible for Batum and #11 from Char for Bogie and our pick say #22. Batum's contract is really rough considering he does not give you the production to justify $25 million.

Brunson could be another Kyle Lowry or another DJ Augustine.
Yunsen
Senior
And1: 263

Post#127 » by Yunsen » Sun Apr 1, 2018 9:39 am

One interesting trade down scenario I was thinking about is our first for Portland’s first and Caleb Swanigan. If Portland resigns Nurkic and Davis, Swanigan has no future with them as he can’t be on the floor with either of them. I think it’s worth taking a flyer on him if Sabonis is starting next year. The only issue is I think Portland will want us to include a 2nd round pick as well.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#128 » by MUpacersSIC » Sun Apr 1, 2018 1:08 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:I like Brunson despite his size and Bates-Diop both seem ready to play. But unless we are eating a giant salary like Batum's I don't see a way to move up. It went through my mind that a deal might be possible for Batum and #11 from Char for Bogie and our pick say #22. Batum's contract is really rough considering he does not give you the production to justify $25 million.

Pacers wouldn't need to move up for either of those guys. Most of the draft "experts" have them in the late first round. I wish we could trade up to the highest LAC pick to get Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. I think that guy is going to be a star one day.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#129 » by Wizop » Sun Apr 1, 2018 5:22 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:I wish we could trade up to the highest LAC pick to get Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. I think that guy is going to be a star one day.

none of the Kentucky freshmen have been as good as I expected. wouldn't throw anything at the TV if we took one, but I think there will be better options.

Sent from my phone.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#130 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Apr 1, 2018 8:54 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:I like Brunson despite his size and Bates-Diop both seem ready to play. But unless we are eating a giant salary like Batum's I don't see a way to move up. It went through my mind that a deal might be possible for Batum and #11 from Char for Bogie and our pick say #22. Batum's contract is really rough considering he does not give you the production to justify $25 million.

Pacers wouldn't need to move up for either of those guys. Most of the draft "experts" have them in the late first round. I wish we could trade up to the highest LAC pick to get Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. I think that guy is going to be a star one day.

Yeah I guess what I wrote did seem like I was implying we'd have to move up to get them. That wasn't what I meant as they may both be late 1st or early 2nds. What I was talking about for the trade up was who we might be able to move up with. Unless we're trading Damos or Myles I don't see anyone that we can get to deal a pick in the top 10.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#131 » by 8305 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 6:12 pm

If you want a Nova guard I'd say take Donta DeVencinzo. Big time athlete who looks like he can run the point.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#132 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 6:30 pm

Has DeVencinzo announced that he's gonna be in the draft? He'd be a good late pick or high 2nd.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#133 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:02 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Has DeVencinzo announced that he's gonna be in the draft? He'd be a good late pick or high 2nd.

I don't think he's said either way. had Dan Patrick on this am and he was discussing pros and cons of him coming out. pro - he's hot after last night's game. con - a year playing point guard in college with Brunson gone could help him.
Assistant Coach

Post#134 » by 8305 » Wed Apr 4, 2018 8:41 am

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Has DeVencinzo announced that he's gonna be in the draft? He'd be a good late pick or high 2nd.

I don't think he's said either way. had Dan Patrick on this am and he was discussing pros and cons of him coming out. pro - he's hot after last night's game. con - a year playing point guard in college with Brunson gone could help him.

Don’t know if he’s coming out. If he does, I like his potential to be something more than a backup more than I do Brunson.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#135 » by Wizop » Wed Apr 4, 2018 12:22 pm

we need a tall defensive wing. I'd sure try playing Vic and DeV together though if he comes out and falls to us.

Sent from my phone.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#136 » by Jake0890 » Wed Apr 4, 2018 1:58 pm

I’d be really surprised if Donte comes out. I doubt he’s been on the scouting radar of many teams until now and it might be too late to catch up. He’s risking falling into the late first or second round right now.

I’d put money on him going back to school as a starter, trying to repeat the championship, and getting in the top 10 of the draft. Makes too much sense.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#137 » by Moooose » Fri Apr 6, 2018 11:28 am

Didn't knew we already have a thread for the draft.

I've read mentions of Jalen Brunson which is nice. But personally, I have him just behind Jevon Carter. Brunson is a bigtime player, but I think Carter has a more complete game and a better staying power.

I like Zhaire Smith a lot but I don't think he'd fall past the 20th. Scouts will be intrigued about his blossoming game.
Tnasty4l
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#138 » by Tnasty4l » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:05 pm

I like Troy Brown from Oregon. Why doesn't Bluiett get any love. Haven't seen him in a lot of the mock drafts.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#139 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:10 am

NBAdraft.net has the Pacers taking Troy Brown of Oregon now. IDK if he's a point guard or not have not seen him play at all.

I have a feeling they will go SF or pg depending on who is there when they draft. It's only 69 days away.

Question we love DC and Bogie but like Big Al they are only on small guarantees for 2018-19. I think Big Al could get traded $4 million guaranteed but are the other 2 too important to the teams current success?

There are teams that will be paying repeater tax next season we might be able to take a guy from them and get pick they drop the partial guaranteed guy and avoid a bunch of tax. But it's too soon to know who is gonna be where and what they'll need to do.

Dump candidates Washington, GSW, Cleveland, Char, Minn, and Houston.
Assistant Coach

Post#140 » by 8305 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:05 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:NBAdraft.net has the Pacers taking Troy Brown of Oregon now. IDK if he's a point guard or not have not seen him play at all.

I have a feeling they will go SF or pg depending on who is there when they draft. It's only 69 days away.

Question we love DC and Bogie but like Big Al they are only on small guarantees for 2018-19. I think Big Al could get traded $4 million guaranteed but are the other 2 too important to the teams current success?

There are teams that will be paying repeater tax next season we might be able to take a guy from them and get pick they drop the partial guaranteed guy and avoid a bunch of tax. But it's too soon to know who is gonna be where and what they'll need to do.

Dump candidates Washington, GSW, Cleveland, Char, Minn, and Houston.

Unless Collison or Bogdonovich are involved in trades that bring back upgrades at their respective positions I think they are back next year. Would Washington give us their 1st if we took Mahamni off their hands.

Return to Indiana Pacers