Turner back in as starter

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 415

Turner back in as starter 

Post#1 » by Grang33r » Sun Nov 5, 2017 5:39 am

Not sure if you guys saw this earlier today but coach MacMillan said that Turner will be starting on Sunday vs. the NYK ahead of Sabonis.

Collison - Oladipo - Bojan - Young - Turner
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
BooomBaby
Junior
And1: 215

Re: Turner back in as starter 

Post#2 » by BooomBaby » Sun Nov 5, 2017 9:37 am

I hope he practiced those FT's
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#3 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 11:20 am

I guess that was always the plan.

Nothing against Thad who's played very well, but what I really want to see is how the duo of Turner and Sabonis would play together. Assuming that Turner, Young, and Sabonis are going to take up the majority of the big man minutes, then we're still going to see a lot of the Turner-Sabonis combo even if Young continues to start.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#4 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 11:34 am

Also, Leaf is out vs the Knicks. So Domas should pick up more PF minutes.

Hopefully, Turner's return to the starting lineup improves our woeful interior defense, which apparently gives up the most points in the paint of any team in the league. Domas just isn't the sort of shotblocking big who can erase mistakes by the perimeter players. Major culprits there are Bojan and DC, but we need them for their offense.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#5 » by Jstock12 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 11:44 am

I like it. Turner has enough length to at least bother KP's jumpshots. It would be too difficult for Domas. Porzingis would just shoot over him all game long. Meanwhile, I think Sabonis matches up with their bench big Kyle O'Quinn much better than Turner/Thad would. O'Quinn is a tenacious rebounder, especially offensively, and I think Domas is the best option to challenge/contain him in that department.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,400

Post#6 » by boomershadow » Sun Nov 5, 2017 12:01 pm

The Turner/Young starting lineup still makes the most sense from a fit perspective. I want to see Turner and Sabonis out there at the same time too, and I expect we will, but Sabonis needs to take up those backup 5 minutes. And with Leaf out, most of the backup 4 minutes as well I expect.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#7 » by cruwinas » Sun Nov 5, 2017 6:11 pm

Turner in as a starter - that's how it should be. Domas is a PF, but can play C against almost anybody. Though, he is most dangerous as a PF.
:crazy:
Kapnius
Freshman
And1: 54

Post#8 » by Kapnius » Sun Nov 5, 2017 7:31 pm

Sabonis would struggle against KP so no surprise, he should be even more deadly against bench players, this will also help Lance a lot as he will have a good Pick and roll partner.
Zhilvis
Senior
And1: 639

Post#9 » by Zhilvis » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:21 pm

With Turner back Pacers went 0/4. I know it is small sample size but it looks like this team play better without their best player.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,749

Post#10 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:35 pm

Zhilvis wrote:With Turner back Pacers went 0/4. I know it is small sample size but it looks like this team play better without their best player.

Very small sample size. Plus Sabonis has been out the last 3 games. Al Jefferson played 22 min last night because of Myles being in foul trouble. I wouldn't put any stock into it.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#11 » by pacers33granger » Thu Nov 9, 2017 7:01 pm

Zhilvis wrote:With Turner back Pacers went 0/4. I know it is small sample size but it looks like this team play better without their best player.

Sabonis being out really hurts us since it means a bunch of Big Al minutes.

It's clear Turner is trying to fit in and pressing a bit. It's always tough when a team is winning and clicking and has to integrate a new starter. Thad is also the only rotation player Turner has played with before this season.

And I think a lot of people forget that Turner is just 21. He's half a year younger or more than both KAT and Porzingis for reference. There's still going to be growing pains.
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#12 » by Miller4ever » Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:39 pm

Not making a point, but it's interesting that Domas is also 21.

What Domas has that Turner doesn't is a lot of game sense fundamentals. Screening, passing, positioning, timing... he is a very synergistic player. What this means is that he is a plus player in almost any situation because he's going to do the right thing and not make mistakes. With Turner, things will be a lot more up and down because the boxing out and screensetting isn't quite at that level. He's starting to get better at it and making a conscious effort in those areas, but for Domas those things are already second nature. I hope Turner takes this opportunity and learn as much as he can from Sabonis. Myles has a high ceiling because of his natural talent, but for now Domas has a higher floor.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,627

Post#13 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Nov 9, 2017 10:28 pm

Miller4ever wrote:Not making a point, but it's interesting that Domas is also 21.

What Domas has that Turner doesn't is a lot of game sense fundamentals. Screening, passing, positioning, timing... he is a very synergistic player. What this means is that he is a plus player in almost any situation because he's going to do the right thing and not make mistakes. With Turner, things will be a lot more up and down because the boxing out and screensetting isn't quite at that level. He's starting to get better at it and making a conscious effort in those areas, but for Domas those things are already second nature. I hope Turner takes this opportunity and learn as much as he can from Sabonis. Myles has a high ceiling because of his natural talent, but for now Domas has a higher floor.

Came here to post something similar.

Domas has an incredibly high basketball I.Q. He is also a much better passer. The offense flows a lot smoother with him out there.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,906

Post#14 » by Nuntius » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:56 am

Miller4ever wrote:Not making a point, but it's interesting that Domas is also 21.

And there's a good reason why Domas is ahead of the curve on those things. His father is a basketball legend. Growing up with a player as talented as Arvydas and training alongside him is bound to give you knowledge beyond your years. That's why Domantas will always be a good offensive player. Defensively he will struggle but if he learns to use his mobility defensively and stay out of foul trouble we're gonna be good.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Major Cold
Freshman
And1: 28

Post#15 » by Major Cold » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:29 pm

What makes Sabonis work is his screening and seeing the defense react. Myles doesn't have that, but his skill set is what can make a team better as well. If Myles can screen half as good as Sabonis then we would have a better FG% with our guards and more offensive rebounds.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#16 » by PDXKnight » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:33 pm

Having 2 good bigs is a nice luxury to have. It's looking like you guys got a steal of a deal from okc especially since George seemed like he'd bolt anyways

Return to Indiana Pacers