Should the Pacer pick up Mindaugas Kuzminskas

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

ESTK
Sophomore
And1: 56

Re: Should the Pacer pick up Mindaugas Kuzminskas 

Post#21 » by ESTK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:53 pm

Vorda wrote:What should we do with him? He's 29 and hasn't quality to improve our roster... we are in great tanking mode and is better to see Poytress with minutes than this average veteran guy...

He just turned 28 and says that next 3 years will be the prime of his career
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#22 » by Miller4ever » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:33 pm

We could just wait for GRIII to come back.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#23 » by Jstock12 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:45 pm

GRIII is younger, more athletic, better shooter and a better defender. Not to mention that Kuzminskas would probably want to go to a playoff team. I'm not sure if Indiana is one.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,617

Post#24 » by Nuntius » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:27 am

pacers70 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
pacers70 wrote:This is the Knicks waiving him...the KNICKS. It's not like he is being waived by Golden State or one of the elite teams...it's the Knicks.

I think we should pass, thank you.

The Knicks have a better record than us so far (7-5 vs 6-8) and they beat us in our head-to-head game.

We're 12-14 games into the season. When it's all said and done, the Knicks will be within 5 games of us, either ahead or behind. Picking up a player that can't play for a team that is on your level, is usually not going to make your team better.

It always depends on whether this player is a good fit for your team or not.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#25 » by cruwinas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Nuntius wrote:
pacers70 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
The Knicks have a better record than us so far (7-5 vs 6-8) and they beat us in our head-to-head game.

We're 12-14 games into the season. When it's all said and done, the Knicks will be within 5 games of us, either ahead or behind. Picking up a player that can't play for a team that is on your level, is usually not going to make your team better.

It always depends on whether this player is a good fit for your team or not.

I'm 99% percent confident that Kuz would be a good fit. He played bball all his life. Became professional player very early for his home team Siauliai. Played for all possible Lithuanian NTs (in junior competitions and the real deal).
Kuz is a late bloomer. Nordic people mature later in life due to the climate (less sun, more cold :)). He is tall, lanky, long limbs. Good stamina, coordinated, very good bball iq (cause he played already many years under different coaches in different systems and styles). Never complained, never blamed anybody, always was "I have to do better". His major setback - he lacked selfishness and meanness. Head coach Jonas Kazlauskas said to him during timeout: "With your abilities and skills you should be playing in the NBA, not for some mid-level team in Spain. Fight on the court! Be tough!". During the rookie season for the Knicks, it took time for him to adjust to NBA. Last year Knicks played pretty chaotic. He didn't have a fixed role on the team. Though his three point shooting improved, maybe not percentage wise, but he got much longer range. It was no problem for Kuz to hit a three with couple feet behind the line.
His "major weakness - bad defender?" Who played good defense last year for the Knicks? Maybe only KP with his blocks -and rim protection. During the summer Kuz knew, on what he needed to work to improve his game for the NBA. And that showed during Eurobasket. Was guarding 2-5 positions, moved well (always did), but was able to stand his ground against much stronger guys (that was pleasant surprise).
To conclude - Kuz is a seasoned pro, smart, adjusted to the NBA, high bball iq, moves very well, runs the floor very well, good passer,gets occasional offensive rebound to his quickness and length, don't mind busting his butt on D. Excellent cutter (sneaky bastard :))
Though 28, but still has room for his game to grow while being a seasoned pro.
And he is cheap. Good teammate, with smart head on his shoulders and smile in life.
BTW, his wife is georgous :nod: :nod: :nod:
And he is not expensive. Any team that will give him playing time will not regret that.
:crazy:
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by cruwinas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:23 pm

BTW, what are the legal rules for the NBA player under the contract who is waived by the team? I think Nuntius is able to give full professional layout about such situation ;)
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,105

Post#27 » by Wizop » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:20 pm

cruwinas wrote:BTW, what are the legal rules for the NBA player under the contract who is waived by the team? I think Nuntius is able to give full professional layout about such situation ;)

the first place to go when you have questions like this is http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

this particular question is covered in Item 64. Basically there is a two day period where teams can claim the player and if that happens they take over the original contract. if more than one team claims, the team with the worst record gets him. if no one claims the player, he becomes a free agent. not having heard anything about a claim, it appears he may now be a free agent but that's a guess.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Nuntius » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:35 am

cruwinas wrote:Nordic people mature later in life due to the climate (less sun, more cold :))

I and-1'd your post and I agree with most of it but this is not exactly accurate. Lithuania is considered a Baltic country and to my knowledge they've never really tried to say that they're Nordic. Estonia is the only Baltic country that considers themselves to be Nordic (and they have a solid case since they're related to Finns and we consider them to be Nordic).

cruwinas wrote:BTW, what are the legal rules for the NBA player under the contract who is waived by the team? I think Nuntius is able to give full professional layout about such situation ;)

Nope. I don't know squat about the CBA.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by cruwinas » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:47 am

Nuntius wrote:
cruwinas wrote:Nordic people mature later in life due to the climate (less sun, more cold :))

I and-1'd your post and I agree with most of it but this is not exactly accurate. Lithuania is considered a Baltic country and to my knowledge they've never really tried to say that they're Nordic. Estonia is the only Baltic country that considers themselves to be Nordic (and they have a solid case since they're related to Finns and we consider them to be Nordic).

I was born in Kaunas. I remember winters with 30 bellow for weeks ;) We are Baltic people (Liths and our little brothers Latvians). I just wrote Nordic, cause would be for people easier to understand. Across the Baltic sea we have Swedes living on the same longitude. Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece have different longitude. Lithuanian junior teams when play against their southern competition say "Yeah, only difference between us and them is in facial hair ;))
BTW, by mistake I spent some time in the med school, but there is no need to go into genetics, genomes, MDFK and all that other headache ;)
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Nuntius » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:13 am

cruwinas wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

I was born in Kaunas. I remember winters with 30 bellow for weeks ;) We are Baltic people (Liths and our little brothers Latvians). I just wrote Nordic, cause would be for people easier to understand. Across the Baltic sea we have Swedes living on the same longitude. Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece have different longitude. Lithuanian junior teams when play against their southern competition say "Yeah, only difference between us and them is in facial hair ;))
BTW, by mistake I spent some time in the med school, but there is no need to go into genetics, genomes, MDFK and all that other headache ;)

Oh, I absolutely agree with that. I don't really care about genetics, genomes and stuff like that either. I mostly focus on linguistics and cultural traits.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,105

Post#31 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:58 pm

seems like no one picked him up.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by cruwinas » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Wizop wrote:seems like no one picked him up.

Not yet. He has good offers from Euroleague teams, but waiting for the right team in the NBA.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#33 » by winter_mute_13 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:58 pm

cruwinas wrote:

Not yet. He has good offers from Euroleague teams, but waiting for the right team in the NBA.

I think Wizop meant no one claimed him off waivers, so he's a free agent. Would certainly think that there are some NBA teams that show interest.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by cruwinas » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:04 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:
cruwinas wrote:

I think Wizop meant no one claimed him off waivers, so he's a free agent. Would certainly think that there are some NBA teams that show interest.

Yes, he is a free agent. NYK will pay him owed 3 mils., and he can do whatever he wants. What he wants is to prove that he can contribute to the NBA team, or give up on this part of his life and play pro ball back in Europe. I honestly think that his NBA story is not over. In Ltihuanian media there are rumors that Dallas are seriously thinking about him now. As the season progresses some other teams might need his type of player as well. Time will tell.

Return to Indiana Pacers