Wash Post suggests Pacers get Kemba

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: Wash Post suggests Pacers get Kemba 

Post#21 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 12:07 pm

boomershadow wrote:I think George Hill and Victor Oladipo would be awesome back court partners from a fit perspective. It kinda just matters what they want for him.

I'm also a sucker for "getting the band back together" 8-)

I'm willing to bet they would nearly give him away to get out of his 2018-19 money.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#22 » by Vorda » Mon Jan 8, 2018 1:15 pm

Hill will be 33 next year... he cant create, he is average shoter... we dont need him again.... Kemba is much better PG... one of the best on east...
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#23 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 1:33 pm

basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#24 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 1:36 pm

Vorda wrote:Hill will be 33 next year... he cant create, he is average shoter... we dont need him again.... Kemba is much better PG... one of the best on east...

Would Kemba Walker fit with Victor? Would they clash? Kemba is gonna want $25 million in 2019, can the Pacers resign him? If the Pacers are looking to get a young point guard Hill would be a good guy to have in the interim. Of course he's 32 in May but he's not a long term solution.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#25 » by boomershadow » Mon Jan 8, 2018 2:03 pm

Vorda wrote:Hill will be 33 next year... he cant create, he is average shoter... we dont need him again.... Kemba is much better PG... one of the best on east...

Next to Oladipo, he wouldn't really need to create as much. He can do that a bit, but he would primarily be a 3 and D point guard again. And he's shot over 40% from 3 point range the last 3 seasons including 46.9% from 3 this year (as of right now when I looked it up). I would call that much better than average shooting.

The type of situation I don't want to see again is two guards that are most effective with the ball in their hands having to share it between each other. That was what we had with Teague/Ellis and that lineup drove me nuts. Collison without the ball at least is a good shooter. Hill would be a good shooter and a good defender. Kemba isn't really either of those things. The thing I'm looking at isnt number of assists per game they average, it's what they will contribute when Oladipo has the ball and it's looking like the next few years Oladipo is gonna have the ball A LOT.
Vorda
Senior

Post#26 » by Vorda » Mon Jan 8, 2018 2:16 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:

Would Kemba Walker fit with Victor? Would they clash? Kemba is gonna want $25 million in 2019, can the Pacers resign him? If the Pacers are looking to get a young point guard Hill would be a good guy to have in the interim. Of course he's 32 in May but he's not a long term solution.

Pacers cant bring better player then Kemba... if we have chance to make a trade for him we must do it... we cant depend only on Dipo... there will be enough possesions for Kemba and Dipo... we would have extra quality... I dont want to see old Hill again... we have to make a new young roster and kemba will be a jack pot for small market team like Pacers...
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#27 » by Tom White » Mon Jan 8, 2018 2:33 pm

I'm not high on Walker like you appear to be, but I agree about not getting Hill. Almost vomitted when I saw his name.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#28 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 8, 2018 2:34 pm

8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:if all goes right, Victor and this year's draftee is the future back court. besides trade proposal gives us nothing for the tax dump aspect.

Not sure this is a reasonable expectation. Pg’s Often take awhile to develop and you are looking at a six year window between the ages of Vic and our hypothetical draftee.

I agree completely the 1's take a while to develop. 5's do too but since 7' is 7' they tend to develop on the bench while 1's get cut and develop in Europe or the G-League and return several years later.

but, 2 things.

1) the backcourt of the future doesn't have to be ready to start in 2018. Time is on our side.

2) the draftee doesn't have to be a pure PG to be the second piece of the future backcourt. Victor handles the ball well, passes well, and has the speed to defend point guards so his backcourt mate can be a combo guard or even a wing. think George Hill or even CoJo. either could pair well with Victor. (the good Lance could too but he's more valuable leading the 2nd unit.)
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#29 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 2:34 pm

Vorda wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Pacers cant bring better player then Kemba... if we have chance to make a trade for him we must do it... we cant depend only on Dipo... there will be enough possesions for Kemba and Dipo... we would have extra quality... I dont want to see old Hill again... we have to make a new young roster and kemba will be a jack pot for small market team like Pacers...

So if we trade off assets for Kemba and he can't play with Victor or they screw each other up dynamically what then? GH can play off the ball if Vic is better with the ball and he is a great ball handler and passer, he can find Hill in the corner for a 3, and Hill shoots 45% plus from the 3pt line. Hill is a better defender than Kemba and if we chose to go after a Point Guard in the draft Hill would be the perfect bridge guard to have while the youngster learns the ropes. Also if you could get Jackson with him he might be the long term answer at SF. And you don't have to give any long term assets to get them.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,720

Post#30 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Jan 8, 2018 4:40 pm

Vorda wrote:I will take it today... Kemba is one of the best playmakers in the east... much better than poor Darren who doesnt Know what assist is... Kemba - Dipo- GRIII- Sabonis-Turner looks damn good...

Actually Collison averages more assists per 36 minutes than Kemba. I obviously think Kemba is better. Just like disproving your Collison hate from time to time because it's fun! :lol: :lol:
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#31 » by pizza guy » Mon Jan 8, 2018 4:51 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Vorda wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

So if we trade off assets for Kemba and he can't play with Victor or they screw each other up dynamically what then? GH can play off the ball if Vic is better with the ball and he is a great ball handler and passer, he can find Hill in the corner for a 3, and Hill shoots 45% plus from the 3pt line. Hill is a better defender than Kemba and if we chose to go after a Point Guard in the draft Hill would be the perfect bridge guard to have while the youngster learns the ropes. Also if you could get Jackson with him he might be the long term answer at SF. And you don't have to give any long term assets to get them.

George Hill might be the last player on Sacto's roster that I'd be interested in. 5 years ago, when you could count on GHill to play most of the season, he would've been the perfect fit for the Oladipo we're seeing now. But these days, there's no way I'd pay GHill $18-20mil to play half a season. Especially in comparison to Kemba, who is more talented, younger, more durable, and only due $12mil per this season and next.

If it doesn't work with Dipo, he's an All-Star getting paid $12 million - you trade him again. Worst case scenario is you let him walk after next season and use the cap space.

I don't love the idea of taking Marvin Williams back, or sending out our 2017 and 2018 first round picks. But All-Star/$12mil/prime of his career Kemba Walker for stop-gap DC and the corpse of Al Jefferson? Yes. 100 times yes. Would be a huge talent boost.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#32 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 8, 2018 5:33 pm

pizza guy wrote:George Hill might be the last player on Sacto's roster that I'd be interested in.

just to clarify, when I said George could play with Vic, I was meaning a player with skills like George's. I did not mean we should trade for him at his current age and salary.

also, I'd certainly trade Big Al for Kemba straight up if Charlotte wanted out of his contract but about all I'd be willing to add to the deal is Joe Young since Kemba would kill his minutes. oh, I might also add GRob since he's in his last year and you'd have to think about adding Collison if they wanted to add one of their wings to the deal. but no draft packs and no Leaf.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#33 » by 8305 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 6:14 pm

George Hill vs Kemba Walker

Walker is younger and a more dynamic scorer who would represent a legit number 2 for Vic. Clearly we need that based off the games we've attempted to play without Oladipo.

Hill is a better defender and better 3 point shooter.

But the real issue is cost. I'm guessing if we weren't throwing Leaf and our 2018 1st into the deal it wouldn't fly. I wouldn't be shocked to see an offer of Collison and Jefferson getting George Hill.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#34 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 7:32 pm

For you Kemba Walker fans the only way he's coming to the Pacers is if they take that nearly worthless Marvin Williams, who would currently be 3rd string behind Thad and Sabonis and who will be 32 on June 19th and is owed $29 million over the next two seasons. And for the Joy of getting them you're gonna give up a 2018 #1 pick and Leaf.

The best trade is sometimes the one you don't make.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#35 » by winter_mute_13 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 9:04 pm

The Kemba suggestion made me think. If we're going after a young big name guard, I'd rather go for CJ McCollum. No idea if he'll be made available, but Portland will be in lux tax hell soon and would need to decide whether their current team is really worth paying for. I expect that the price will be similar to the Kemba package being speculated upon.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#36 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 11:21 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:The Kemba suggestion made me think. If we're going after a young big name guard, I'd rather go for CJ McCollum. No idea if he'll be made available, but Portland will be in lux tax hell soon and would need to decide whether their current team is really worth paying for. I expect that the price will be similar to the Kemba package being speculated upon.

They are in the Tax now unless they dump some salary.
Vorda
Senior

Post#37 » by Vorda » Tue Jan 9, 2018 6:58 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Vorda wrote:I will take it today... Kemba is one of the best playmakers in the east... much better than poor Darren who doesnt Know what assist is... Kemba - Dipo- GRIII- Sabonis-Turner looks damn good...

Actually Collison averages more assists per 36 minutes than Kemba. I obviously think Kemba is better. Just like disproving your Collison hate from time to time because it's fun! :lol: :lol:

Kemba is on 22 p, 6 a, Darren is 12 p, 5 a and you want disaprov something :D

Are you serouisly saying that DC is better than Kemba? Common... I wanna hear... :D
Vorda
Senior

Post#38 » by Vorda » Tue Jan 9, 2018 7:02 am

pizza guy wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Vorda wrote:

George Hill might be the last player on Sacto's roster that I'd be interested in. 5 years ago, when you could count on GHill to play most of the season, he would've been the perfect fit for the Oladipo we're seeing now. But these days, there's no way I'd pay GHill $18-20mil to play half a season. Especially in comparison to Kemba, who is more talented, younger, more durable, and only due $12mil per this season and next.

If it doesn't work with Dipo, he's an All-Star getting paid $12 million - you trade him again. Worst case scenario is you let him walk after next season and use the cap space.

I don't love the idea of taking Marvin Williams back, or sending out our 2017 and 2018 first round picks. But All-Star/$12mil/prime of his career Kemba Walker for stop-gap DC and the corpse of Al Jefferson? Yes. 100 times yes. Would be a huge talent boost.

That's it... Lock the topic... Man explain everything... :clap:
Vorda
Senior

Post#39 » by Vorda » Tue Jan 9, 2018 7:04 am

Tom White wrote:

I'm not high on Walker like you appear to be, but I agree about not getting Hill. Almost vomitted when I saw his name.

Why? If this is the real news we have to take it... Kemba is the best available player that Pacers can take it... we are not in position every they to sign all star player... I would defenitaly take a risk and give limited Leaf and 15-20 pick for all star player...
Vorda
Senior

Post#40 » by Vorda » Tue Jan 9, 2018 7:08 am

Wizop wrote:
pizza guy wrote:George Hill might be the last player on Sacto's roster that I'd be interested in.

just to clarify, when I said George could play with Vic, I was meaning a player with skills like George's. I did not mean we should trade for him at his current age and salary.

also, I'd certainly trade Big Al for Kemba straight up if Charlotte wanted out of his contract but about all I'd be willing to add to the deal is Joe Young since Kemba would kill his minutes. oh, I might also add GRob since he's in his last year and you'd have to think about adding Collison if they wanted to add one of their wings to the deal. but no draft packs and no Leaf.

Leaf will never be Kemba level player... I would give him immediatelly... and 15-20 pick to... better to take Kemba than risk with potential bust... we dont have chance every year to take all star player...

Return to Indiana Pacers