Wash Post suggests Pacers get Kemba

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

AussiePacer
Sophomore
And1: 64

Re: Wash Post suggests Pacers get Kemba 

Post#41 » by AussiePacer » Tue Jan 9, 2018 7:28 am

I liked George Hill when he played for us, but DC is a significant upgrade at this stage.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#42 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Jan 9, 2018 1:52 pm

Vorda wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
Vorda wrote:I will take it today... Kemba is one of the best playmakers in the east... much better than poor Darren who doesnt Know what assist is... Kemba - Dipo- GRIII- Sabonis-Turner looks damn good...

Actually Collison averages more assists per 36 minutes than Kemba. I obviously think Kemba is better. Just like disproving your Collison hate from time to time because it's fun! :lol: :lol:

Kemba is on 22 p, 6 a, Darren is 12 p, 5 a and you want disaprov something :D

Are you serouisly saying that DC is better than Kemba? Common... I wanna hear... :D

No I'm not saying he is better than DC. Read my post and I say Kemba is obviously better. Just disproving your comment about DC doesn't know what an assist is. He averages more assist per 36 than Kemba. That is fact not opinion.
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#43 » by pizza guy » Tue Jan 9, 2018 1:55 pm

Honest question: I know Batum is good and MCW was supposed to be, but neither of them are really close to the level Oladipo is on right now. Has Kemba ever had a teammate as good as Oladipo since he's been in the NBA?

Might that increase his efficiency and even assist numbers?
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#44 » by Vorda » Tue Jan 9, 2018 2:20 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Vorda wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
Actually Collison averages more assists per 36 minutes than Kemba. I obviously think Kemba is better. Just like disproving your Collison hate from time to time because it's fun! :lol: :lol:

Are you serouisly saying that DC is better than Kemba? Common... I wanna hear... :D

No I'm not saying he is better than DC. Read my post and I say Kemba is obviously better. Just disproving your comment about DC doesn't know what an assist is. He averages more assist per 36 than Kemba. That is fact not opinion.

Let me repeat... DC is PG with 12 p and 5 a this year... that's not enough for G-league...
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#45 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 9, 2018 2:36 pm

Vorda wrote:Leaf will never be Kemba level player... I would give him immediatelly... and 15-20 pick to... better to take Kemba than risk with potential bust... we dont have chance every year to take all star player...

That was the thinking when we traded English for McGinnis. one of our worst trades ever. Decades later I'm still reluctant to give up on a rookie. English went on to become one of Denver's all time greats and George ruined our team chemistry because the rest of the team saw the trade as saying they weren't good enough.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#46 » by 8305 » Tue Jan 9, 2018 3:00 pm

AussiePacer wrote:I liked George Hill when he played for us, but DC is a significant upgrade at this stage.

I disagree, Hill is a far better defender and probably a better shooter than DC. Hill doesn't push the ball a well as DC but, all things considered plug him in for DC and I think we are a better team.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#47 » by Topofthekey » Tue Jan 9, 2018 3:54 pm

I think the main risk with acquiring Kemba Walker is the possibility that he might walk at the end of his contract.

As for him having to share the ball with Vic, it could go both ways really. Yes there's the risk of the offense stagnating if the Pacers end up having two guards who both need the ball. But it's also possible that Kemba will flourish in a facilitator role behind Vic, sort of like what the Wizards have in Wall and Beal. Of course, the difference here is that Wall is quite literally a Wizard with the ball, and Kemba has not shown that level of play yet, but it's not too much to hope for, I think.

The way I see it, as long as the asking price for Kemba is reasonable, it's worth a shot. The Pacers already have a lot of undeveloped youth on the roster right now anyway, so parting with a pick or two is probably not a problem. I'm thinking I might be ok with parting with two first round picks plus filler contract like DC for Kemba. After that, there's still Turner and Leaf on the roster, and if we want, we can just think of Sabonis, GR3, Poythress, and Sumner as the team's draft picks for the next 1 or 2 seasons, so there's really plenty of youth to develope for the next 1 or 2 seasons
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#48 » by pacers33granger » Tue Jan 9, 2018 4:40 pm

If we could get Kemba for Leaf and a pick it would be stupid to say no. The fit would be fine with him and Dipo as long as Nate staggers minutes properly.

I don't know why anyone would want Hill back though. At $10 mil a year? Sure. But why would we cut significantly into our cap room for him? He's not an upgrade over Collison at this point (both are bottom 10 starting PGs in the league) and costs twice as much.
Pacernation
Senior
And1: 928

Post#49 » by Pacernation » Tue Jan 9, 2018 10:05 pm

Getting kemba and having allways one of him and dipo on the floor sounds intriguing, but i would pass. Taking williams salary for 2 years and having to max out kemba after next season.. im not sure its worth leaf, our first and giving up our flexibility.
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 276

Post#50 » by HurricaneDij25 » Tue Jan 9, 2018 10:19 pm

boomershadow wrote:I think George Hill and Victor Oladipo would be awesome back court partners from a fit perspective. It kinda just matters what they want for him.

I'm also a sucker for "getting the band back together" 8-)

I understand the skepticism somewhat on giving up a first round pick for a guy who only has a full year left on his deal in Kemba.

But, I don't want George Hill back on the Pacers. Adding a 31-year-old player with his contract would be counterproductive.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#51 » by boomershadow » Tue Jan 9, 2018 11:49 pm

It's more that I think he is a good example of a point guard that would pair well with Oladipo. I don't really think we should be knocking down their door to get him.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#52 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:37 am

pizza guy wrote:Honest question: I know Batum is good and MCW was supposed to be, but neither of them are really close to the level Oladipo is on right now. Has Kemba ever had a teammate as good as Oladipo since he's been in the NBA?

Might that increase his efficiency and even assist numbers?

It's unlikely that Kemba ever gets better than he is now. He's a ball dominant player and he needs some spot up shooters. But Kemba looks to score first pass 2nd. Not what the Pacers need.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#53 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:39 am

Vorda wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
Vorda wrote:

Let me repeat... DC is PG with 12 p and 5 a this year... that's not enough for G-league...

If all you're looking at is stats then you get this idea. DC is not a long term answer at point, but he is not a G-league player. :crazy:
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#54 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:44 am

pacers33granger wrote:If we could get Kemba for Leaf and a pick it would be stupid to say no. The fit would be fine with him and Dipo as long as Nate staggers minutes properly.

I don't know why anyone would want Hill back though. At $10 mil a year? Sure. But why would we cut significantly into our cap room for him? He's not an upgrade over Collison at this point (both are bottom 10 starting PGs in the league) and costs twice as much.

I would want to give much to get George Hill back, but if the cost is Al and DC that's an easy move to make. He only has 1 year fully guaranteed after this season and only costs $1 million in 2019-20 if he's released by July 1st 2019, which he surely would be.

I don't think Al or DC will be here next year. They both will be released or traded, and the team would look to resign Cory Joseph.
AussiePacer
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#55 » by AussiePacer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:47 am

8305 wrote:
AussiePacer wrote:I liked George Hill when he played for us, but DC is a significant upgrade at this stage.

I disagree, Hill is a far better defender and probably a better shooter than DC. Hill doesn't push the ball a well as DC but, all things considered plug him in for DC and I think we are a better team.

Thanks for the response, valid points.

It's hard to argue GH can sit off the ball and knock down as many shots, but I just feel DC creates more with his passing and the tempo he can play at suits us. The other concern I have is durability (my main concern) and DC seems more likely to handle minutes and long seasons. GH could potentially give us a little spike in output but will he be a consistent contributor for a few seasons?

Certainly don't want it to see like I'm 100% against Hill, because it has merit and I like what he offers.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#56 » by Vorda » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:50 am

With Kemba we should resign Thad and sign some 3D SF... that team will be contender, only I dont know if there will be space to resign GRIII, depends how much he is going to ask for new contract...

Kemba, Joseph
Oladipo, Lance
3D, Bojan
Thad, Marvin
Turner, Sabonis
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#57 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:02 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:If we could get Kemba for Leaf and a pick it would be stupid to say no. The fit would be fine with him and Dipo as long as Nate staggers minutes properly.

I would want to give much to get George Hill back, but if the cost is Al and DC that's an easy move to make. He only has 1 year fully guaranteed after this season and only costs $1 million in 2019-20 if he's released by July 1st 2019, which he surely would be.

I don't think Al or DC will be here next year. They both will be released or traded, and the team would look to resign Cory Joseph.

The cost is somewhere in the neighborhood of $14 mil in possible space next summer. Hill just is not worth that right now.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#58 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Vorda wrote:With Kemba we should resign Thad and sign some 3D SF... that team will be contender, only I dont know if there will be space to resign GRIII, depends how much he is going to ask for new contract...

Kemba, Joseph
Oladipo, Lance
3D, Bojan
Thad, Marvin
Turner, Sabonis

My biggest issue with the trade as proposed is that it includes Marvin. I see Sabonis as the future at PF not at backup center. Thad will likely opt out and be wanting too much money. I'd let him go he's a SF playing PF and he really can't play SF. If Thad is resign Marvin would be the 3rd string PF at $14.5 million.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#59 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:06 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
The cost is somewhere in the neighborhood of $14 mil in possible space next summer. Hill just is not worth that right now.

Ok who are you gonna sign?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#60 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:21 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

Ok who are you gonna sign?

I don't think anyone will be available at the trading deadline that would make us a favorite to win a second round playoff series. I'm comfortable waiting to see what the draft gives us and what our summer free agents' demands are before I make a move. Not that I wouldn't move Big Al for a longer contract if we were getting a draft pick or someone who was at least as good a backup small forward as GR3 and Poythress.

We have Sumner at 1, Leaf at 4, and Ike at 5. I'm in no rush to displace any of them or to trade any of our starters mid-season.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers