Value of Myles Turner centered trade package?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Re: Value of Myles Turner centered trade package? 

Post#61 » by chube » Tue Feb 6, 2018 3:26 am

Honestly, Myles’ down year could be beneficial in the long run. He might’ve been on his way to a max, but this year might’ve knocked that down a little. So if we can get him for cheaper than expected, and then he booms, that’s suddenly a bargain of a contract and still more flexible to sign others...a la Stephen Curry a few years ago.

Doesn’t mean Myles and his agent won’t still push for a max, but I say no trade until we see negotiations on the next deal start

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#62 » by Wizop » Tue Feb 6, 2018 1:16 pm

he sure looked over matched against Washington's physical centers.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#63 » by MUpacersSIC » Tue Feb 6, 2018 1:26 pm

If someone like Phoenix blew us away with a top 5 pick and someone like Bender or Chriss, I'd probably have to take it. I think Ayton, Doncic, Young, Porter, Bagley, and Bamba all have a chance to be significantly better than Myles. I do think that Myles has a lot of potential IF he's willing to put on weight and get tougher inside. It's hard because I love him as a person, teammate, and most of the time as a player.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#64 » by Wizop » Tue Feb 6, 2018 4:20 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:If someone like Phoenix blew us away with a top 5 pick

I'd now trade Turner during the draft for a pick that had Trae Young on the board. maybe I'd do it for Doncic too, but I've never seen him play and I'd want to have combine numbers on his physical tools. I would not do it for any of the centers as I wouldn't choose to gamble that they'd be an upgrade. I'd have to think hard about Jackson who could be the new home town hero.

bottom line, I now feel Turner must demonstrate a willingness to be much more physical to play center. or perhaps bringing Vic's Miami trainers to town for a session with our strength and conditioning coaches could but Myles on a path toward being able to defend modern power forwards so Damos can be the five on both offense and defense.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#65 » by Tom White » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:03 pm

Wizop wrote:
MUpacersSIC wrote:bottom line, I now feel Turner must demonstrate a willingness to be much more physical to play center......

Turner absolutely needs to become more physical to play in the post...especially on defense. The quandary is, can he do that without losing agility and quickness?

Maybe it is just a matter of his body gaining more maturity? I don't know. But, if he is to be successful in the long term, he needs to be stronger.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#66 » by Wizop » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:06 pm

Tom White wrote:f he is to be successful in the long term, he needs to be stronger.

stronger to be a five or faster to move to four.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#67 » by MUpacersSIC » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:11 pm

Wizop wrote:
MUpacersSIC wrote:If someone like Phoenix blew us away with a top 5 pick

I'd now trade Turner during the draft for a pick that had Trae Young on the board. maybe I'd do it for Doncic too, but I've never seen him play and I'd want to have combine numbers on his physical tools. I would not do it for any of the centers as I wouldn't choose to gamble that they'd be an upgrade. I'd have to think hard about Jackson who could be the new home town hero.

bottom line, I now feel Turner must demonstrate a willingness to be much more physical to play center. or perhaps bringing Vic's Miami trainers to town for a session with our strength and conditioning coaches could but Myles on a path toward being able to defend modern power forwards so Damos can be the five on both offense and defense.

I think Michael Porter Jr could be a good pick up for us a well. He's super long, athletic, and can shoot. Only concern is his back injury, but they'd do their due diligence on his medicals I'm sure.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#68 » by Wizop » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:15 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:I think Michael Porter Jr could be a good pick up for us a well. He's super long, athletic, and can shoot. Only concern is his back injury, but they'd do their due diligence on his medicals I'm sure.

can't disagree but with no college tape it's hard to evaluate him.
DoubleEagle4
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#69 » by DoubleEagle4 » Tue Feb 6, 2018 7:59 pm

I am frustrated for Myles right now. He has had a rough year with the concussion and elbow injury. I know there has been mention of a lingering knee soreness as well. The last 2 games he has battled foul trouble and a lot of that is him trying too hard to force the issue. He is still wearing the elbow brace, so you have to think he has some soreness in that still. The all-star break might be the best time for him to get back to 100%.

It's hard for him to figure out where he fits in on this team because of the injuries. Nobody expected Sabonis to make this big of an impact on the team either. I am not even close to being ready to give up on him. No way we trade Myles unless we are getting a HUGE return. Oladipo hit his stride at around 25 years old, so what will Myles look like in 4 years?
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#70 » by Pacersike » Thu Feb 8, 2018 9:22 pm

What I will remember from the trade deadline is that the Pacers had no intentions whatsoever to trade Jefferson for a center and move Sabonis to backup 4. They were targeting smaller 4s like Carroll and Faried and wanted to keep Domas at the 5.

I totally understand that, Domas is a better 5 than 4, but that means that either our opponents don't want to leak trade offers with Turner/Sabonis or our own team management doesn't look much further then the end of their nose and refuses discussing Domas/Myles trade offers.

I hope it's the first option because I prefer pre-acting over re-acting after it might become a problem. Going to be the second option though. Granger, Hibbert, PG. They didn't see it coming their value would drop or dissapear.

Turner going to struggle with injuries? Impossible. We will start seeing it as soon as our opponents inform us about it.
No way we trade him when his value is peaking and we refuse to predict it will drop because he rips his pants while cheering for the Pacers. That's allright for fans thinking like that, but GMs need to be better than that.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizop » Thu Feb 8, 2018 9:33 pm

Pacersike wrote:They were targeting smaller 4s

smaller 4's or bigger 3's?
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#72 » by Pacersike » Thu Feb 8, 2018 9:37 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacersike wrote:They were targeting smaller 4s

smaller 4's or bigger 3's?

Carroll is a 3/4, Faried only a 4, so I used 4.

Would have been nice it was a 5, to give us the feeling they want to plug Domas in at the 4, where he going to play for the rest of his career.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#73 » by Wizop » Thu Feb 8, 2018 9:47 pm

Pacersike wrote:Would have been nice it was a 5

but we have a very young 5 in Ike. I'd like to think he'll take over Al's role next year.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#74 » by Pacersike » Thu Feb 8, 2018 10:12 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacersike wrote:Would have been nice it was a 5

but we have a very young 5 in Ike. I'd like to think he'll take over Al's role next year.

That's right, very young is Ike. Too young to be a backup and Leaf isn't ready either to be counted on as backup 4.

Sabonis is going to start next to Turner as soon as Thad is gone, so preparing him to play next to a player like Ike, is possible when you trade Al for a backup center to get another pick. No leaks of us going after a backup 5 have reached us yet but I hope they will.

I would be less inclined to trade Turner then and not trying to trade a precious player is always a popular opinion among fans :)
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Value of Myles Turner centered trade package? 

Post#75 » by Wizop » Thu Feb 8, 2018 10:22 pm

That's right, very young is Ike. Too young to be a backup and Leaf isn't ready either to be counted on as backup 4.

as long as we have the 3 man 4/5 rotation of Turner, Sabonis, and Young, I think Leaf and Ike will be adequate backups next year. the rookie year is always the hardest.

now if Thad gets an offer we can't match, then I would want another fifth big.

Sent from my phone.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#76 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:22 am

Hypothetically would you match $20m per year in 2019?
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#77 » by winter_mute_13 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:06 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Hypothetically would you match $20m per year in 2019?

Uh, yes? $20m per isn't much these days. Former Pacers' center Mahinmi is on $16m after all.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#78 » by Pacersike » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:03 am

Sabonis has been struggling in february against not the most difficult teams.

Turner returned to the starting lineup january 31.

I wish it was different but I see a 5 in Domas and prefer his smart and strong play over Turner's shotblocking.

Anigbogu would make a great backup for Domas, because of the differences. As backup for Turner not that great, because of the similarities.

Larry Bird drafted Myles Turner. Domas is probably closer to what KP wants. No need to rush it but make good preparations this time please to make a trade :)
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#79 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Pacersike wrote:Sabonis has been struggling in february against not the most difficult teams.

Turner returned to the starting lineup january 31.

I wish it was different but I see a 5 in Domas and prefer his smart and strong play over Turner's shotblocking.

Anigbogu would make a great backup for Domas, because of the differences. As backup for Turner not that great, because of the similarities.

Larry Bird drafted Myles Turner. Domas is probably closer to what KP wants. No need to rush it but make good preparations this time please to make a trade :)

Anigbogu has played 28 minutes of NBA basketball. What makes you think he is ready to be a backup in the NBA? I'm all for projects and taking a shot, but if we roll into next season with him as the backup then yikes. There is a reason he was drafted 48th. If he ever becomes a rotational player in the NBA it will take time.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#80 » by Pacersike » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:42 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:Anigbogu has played 28 minutes of NBA basketball. What makes you think he is ready to be a backup in the NBA? I'm all for projects and taking a shot, but if we roll into next season with him as the backup then yikes. There is a reason he was drafted 48th. If he ever becomes a rotational player in the NBA it will take time.

Just looking in the future and hoping for the best case scenario.

I'm not counting on Ike to be backup center for the next couple of seasons. I would get somebody else to do that or worst case scenario use Myles Turner to do that 8-)

Return to Indiana Pacers