Potential FA to pursue this offseason

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Potential FA to pursue this offseason 

Post#1 » by Topofthekey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:45 pm

What are some of the potential FA's that you feel Pacers should make offers for?

I'm thinking Pacers should throw some money at Aaron Gordon, Clint Capela, and maybe Marcus Smart, and let their respective teams match.

Depending on whether CP3 re-signs with Rockets, a huge offer thrown at Capela might just put them off enough. Is it a good idea to throw something like 25m at Capela and hope Rockets don't match?
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Re: Potential FA to pursue this offseason 

Post#2 » by 8305 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:57 pm

We struggle now to find sufficient minutes for both Sabonis and Turner (when they are both available and playing well). Don’t see where adding another center to that mix makes any sense. To a slightly lesser degree the Turner /Sabonis dilemma works against the notion of offering big money to Gordon. I see some logic/fit for Smart.

He’s not the same level big splash but, I’m intrigued with Mario Herzonja. If you see him working at the wing he at least fits a need.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#3 » by Vorda » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:01 pm

We dont need Capela as long as we have Myles and Sabonis... Orlando will match AG offers... just think what would their fans do to their FO if they loose one more player after Dipo, Harris, Payton, Hezonja, Sabonis... Smart can be added if he can play PG... on SG we dont need him since we have Dipo and Lance...
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#4 » by Wizop » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 pm

none of those names do anything for me. I want a 3. Jimmy Butler would be great but I don't expect him to leave Thibs even for a max. is there a 15mm dollar defending, rebounding wing out there?

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#5 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:23 pm

8305 wrote:He’s not the same level big splash but, I’m intrigued with Mario Herzonja. If you see him working at the wing he at least fits a need.

Same. Still very young (22 this year) and finally starting to show the stuff that made him a high pick. He's not the defender that we would like, but his shooting would be very welcome and his offense seems to be improved all around. At worst, he's a younger more athletic version of Bojan.

FWIW I like him more than Parker or Hood, the other young forwards who might be available. Definitely one of the more intriguing FAs in the offseason.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:26 pm

Wizop wrote:none of those names do anything for me. I want a 3. Jimmy Butler would be great but I don't expect him to leave Thibs even for a max. is there a 15mm dollar defending, rebounding wing out there?

Sent from my phone.

Ariza maybe? But he's quite a bit older than the Pacers' core.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#7 » by boomershadow » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Hezonja has maturity issues that kinda worry me.

Maybe Lance would be a good role model for someone like that? Did you ever think you would hear that question being asked?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Re: RE: Re: Potential FA to pursue this offseason 

Post#8 » by Wizop » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:01 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:
Ariza maybe? But he's quite a bit older than the Pacers' core.

a bit older is okay if we also draft someone for the longer term.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Vorda
Senior

Post#9 » by Vorda » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:45 pm

boomershadow wrote:Hezonja has maturity issues that kinda worry me.

Maybe Lance would be a good role model for someone like that? Did you ever think you would hear that question being asked?

He is young player... that is not a big problem... he is still developing his game.. he can play on few positions, he is athletic player, he has good size... 6'8... he is cheap player... and will cost 7-10 millions... you cant loose with him...
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#10 » by boomershadow » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:01 am

If you wanna get real honest about it, one of the best small forward free agents on the market is gonna be Paul George.

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Topofthekey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:44 am

True that Capela seems a bit extra given that Pacers already have Myles and Domas. But the reason I'm intrigued by Capela is that he looks like someone who will be able to stand up to the likes of the Steven Adams of the league and help with the rebounding, which has been a constant headache for the team. I'd be happy to see the Pacers sign either one of Capela or Aaron Gordon. They each bring a needed dimension to the team (rebounding for Capela, 2nd option scoring for AG). Only downside to signing them is playing time. But as someone mentioned previously, it shouldn't be a problem, given how unselfish Myles and Domas is, and also the expected injuries and foul troubles are going to create playing time. So I don't think having a combo of Myles-Domas-AG/Capela is a problem, I think it's a good thing actually. Anyhow, Magic will likely match any offer for AG, and Rockets likely will too for Capela if they feel they can win it all next season, but I'd still like to see Pacers make them the offer and let their teams match.

Hezonja seems to have some personality issues, as pointed out. I'd rather not take a risk like that. Even Marcus Smart makes me pause a bit. Didn't he cut his hand punching the wall or something?

What about Zach Lavine? Vic can move to PG if he joins the team, and Lavine can play PG when Vic is resting. Seems like a good idea. How much money does it take though to pry him away? And what about Kyle Anderson? Any chance of prying him from the Spurs? How much of an upgrade is he over Bogie?

Finding a good SF isn't easy, I'm at the point where I'm wondering whether the Pacers should just fully commit to playing small ball and just start 3 high quality guards
Vorda
Senior

Post#12 » by Vorda » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:36 am

What personality issues Hezonja have? I have been watching him since he was a high school player and I dont see any big issues... esspecially if you compare him with Lance or PG13... actually, he showed a very high level of patience during last 3 years in Magic... many players would have big issues in that scenario... and Mario handled that very peaceful... he was working very hard and wait for his oppurtunitty... and now he can choose team where he will play...
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Topofthekey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:14 am

Vorda wrote:What personality issues Hezonja have?

Supposedly he is too cocky for his own good.

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/6/18/8793459/mario-hezonja-nba-draft-scouting-report-cocky

I don't think that kind of personality fits in well with the current Pacers. But who knows, maybe he's more matured now. If his attitude isn't a too much of a problem and he isn't expensive to sign, then sure, roll the dice with him, maybe Pacers will get lucky and end up with a star
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by winter_mute_13 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:16 am

Two years of not getting off the bench, not to mention his rookie option not getting picked up, has probably humbled him a bit.

In any case, I'm sure the Pacers will get backchannel info on Hezonja from Vogel. If there are any red flags, the Pacers will be aware of them.

I'm not convinced btw that Hezonja will be available for cheap. There's at least a couple of teams (Nets and Mavs) who've made it their business to overbid for young players, usually RFAs. Hezonja is young, athletic, and unusually is UFA at an early stage of his career. Like Solo, the bidding may go higher than initially thought.
Vorda
Senior

Post#15 » by Vorda » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:41 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:Two years of not getting off the bench, not to mention his rookie option not getting picked up, has probably humbled him a bit.

In any case, I'm sure the Pacers will get backchannel info on Hezonja from Vogel. If there are any red flags, the Pacers will be aware of them.

I'm not convinced btw that Hezonja will be available for cheap. There's at least a couple of teams (Nets and Mavs) who've made it their business to overbid for young players, usually RFAs. Hezonja is young, athletic, and unusually is UFA at an early stage of his career. Like Solo, the bidding may go higher than initially thought.

Hezonja said that he want to rush for Money... I dont think he will choose another chaotic team like Nets, Kings or Mavs... he needs better system where he can develop himself... and one thing what we certainly should not to do is ask Vogel anything... he is looser who almoust destroyed Hezonjas career...he was holding Mario on the bench for two years... in that period he played with J. Green, Meeks and Ross... he had 5th draft pick to develop, he was out of PO and what did he do... he was playing with trash... and after declining his option he was forced to put Mario to play... and he showed to him what player he had... only man who has some issues here is Vogel... especially when he will be fired at end of the season...
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,717

Post#16 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Vorda wrote:
winter_mute_13 wrote:Two years of not getting off the bench, not to mention his rookie option not getting picked up, has probably humbled him a bit.

Hezonja said that he want to rush for Money... I dont think he will choose another chaotic team like Nets, Kings or Mavs... he needs better system where he can develop himself... and one thing what we certainly should not to do is ask Vogel anything... he is looser who almoust destroyed Hezonjas career...he was holding Mario on the bench for two years... in that period he played with J. Green, Meeks and Ross... he had 5th draft pick to develop, he was out of PO and what did he do... he was playing with trash... and after declining his option he was forced to put Mario to play... and he showed to him what player he had... only man who has some issues here is Vogel... especially when he will be fired at end of the season...

I'm a big Frank fan. He was obviously to blame somewhat for the lack of Mario's development. But, you don't know what happened behind the scenes as far as practice, film sessions, etc. If he wasn't carrying his end of the bargain then you can't blame Frank for not playing him. His minutes only dropped 3 per game in Frank's 1st year. A lot of times guys play themselves out of playing time.
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 276

Post#17 » by HurricaneDij25 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:37 pm

boomershadow wrote:If you wanna get real honest about it, one of the best small forward free agents on the market is gonna be Paul George.

Not the best though. There's literally no other free agent out there's that's going to make a substantial difference to our team, so why not pursue the biggest free agent out there??? And I'm not talking about George...Screw him.

Beyond that, the only type of FA's I'd looks to pursue, as I've mentioned before would be backup PF options in the event we lose Thad.

The likes of Trevor Booker and Amir Johnson come to mind.
Vorda
Senior

Post#18 » by Vorda » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Vorda wrote:

I'm a big Frank fan. He was obviously to blame somewhat for the lack of Mario's development. But, you don't know what happened behind the scenes as far as practice, film sessions, etc. If he wasn't carrying his end of the bargain then you can't blame Frank for not playing him. His minutes only dropped 3 per game in Frank's 1st year. A lot of times guys play themselves out of playing time.

He put him in a dog house... a 5th pick... and he played with Meeks and Green... he was benching him after first mistake... he totally ruined his self esteem...he has a lot of blame...
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,717

Post#19 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Vorda wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
Vorda wrote:

He put him in a dog house... a 5th pick... and he played with Meeks and Green... he was benching him after first mistake... he totally ruined his self esteem...he has a lot of blame...

He has some of the blame no doubt. Never know what else was going on. You have known the kid for a while and I get it. But being a top 5 pick doesn't make you a player. There are numerous busts in the top 5 throughout the years.
Vorda
Senior

Post#20 » by Vorda » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Vorda wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

He has some of the blame no doubt. Never know what else was going on. You have known the kid for a while and I get it. But being a top 5 pick doesn't make you a player. There are numerous busts in the top 5 throughout the years.

He isnt a bust... Magic made a big mistake with him... he can be valuable player if you know how to use him...

Return to Indiana Pacers