Potential FA to pursue this offseason

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,085

Re: RE: Re: Potential FA to pursue this offseason 

Post#261 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:36 am

pacers33granger wrote:Idk if he'll walk. He could want a longer deal.

my son heard rumor first but with no source. now see Tweet and ESPN story from Woj.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Re: Potential FA to pursue this offseason 

Post#262 » by Jake0890 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:38 am

The Thad thing is interesting.

His option is worth 13.7 million, I would be surprised if he got something around that dollar figure annually should he try to find a new deal this summer. Seems like a lot of budgets are tightening up around the NBA these days.

I'm also questioning the willingness of the Pacers to bring him back on a long term deal at 29 with perhaps bigger fish to fry in the free agency market as well as some extensions coming up in the next few years.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 943

Post#263 » by Tom White » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Jake0890 wrote:I'm also questioning the willingness of the Pacers to bring him back on a long term deal at 29 with perhaps bigger fish to fry in the free agency market as well as some extensions coming up in the next few years.

I think this presents a real opportunity for both sides. Thad can get the security he needs with a longer deal. The Pacers may be able to structure that deal with a declining annual salary (front loaded, if you will) that preserves future salary cap flexibility.

Thad isn't dumb. He knows he will not always be a starter, so the deal could be written in such a way as to reward him with a starter's salary to begin with, but then transition to a worthy salary for what will become a very solid back-up player in the later years of the deal.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#264 » by Jake0890 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Tom White wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:I'm also questioning the willingness of the Pacers to bring him back on a long term deal at 29 with perhaps bigger fish to fry in the free agency market as well as some extensions coming up in the next few years.

I think this presents a real opportunity for both sides. Thad can get the security he needs with a longer deal. The Pacers may be able to structure that deal with a declining annual salary (front loaded, if you will) that preserves future salary cap flexibility.

Thad isn't dumb. He knows he will not always be a starter, so the deal could be written in such a way as to reward him with a starter's salary to begin with, but then transition to a worthy salary for what will become a very solid back-up player in the later years of the deal.

I agree with the sentiment, but a declining contract simply doesn't seem reasonable.

Does anyone know when the last time was a player signed a contract like that? Few people, yourself and myself included, would accept to work for someone knowing their salary would only go down after this year. At the very least, people are looking for cost of living raises to keep up with inflation (not that inflation is a huge concern to NBA players).

Not that it doesn't make sense in theory, but I would be absolutely shocked if Thad (or anyone else this summer) signs a declining contract.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 943

Post#265 » by Tom White » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Jake0890 wrote:I agree with the sentiment, but a declining contract simply doesn't seem reasonable.

Does anyone know when the last time was a player signed a contract like that?

Not that it doesn't make sense in theory, but I would be absolutely shocked if Thad (or anyone else this summer) signs a declining contract.

Did a quick look. There aren't many but:
G. Hill, T. Thompson, K. Korver, S. Livingston, J. Henson, K. Middleton, J. Leuer, T. Harris, J. Ingles, J. Bayless, Bogdon Bogdanovic, J. Simmons and C. Felicio.

There are also a good number of players with "level" contracts, meaning their salary neither increases nor decreases over the length of the contract.

So, there aren't many, but it does happen.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,730

Post#266 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Jake0890 wrote:
Tom White wrote:

I agree with the sentiment, but a declining contract simply doesn't seem reasonable.

Does anyone know when the last time was a player signed a contract like that? Few people, yourself and myself included, would accept to work for someone knowing their salary would only go down after this year. At the very least, people are looking for cost of living raises to keep up with inflation (not that inflation is a huge concern to NBA players).

I would accept it if I knew that I was getting overpaid in the 1st year or 2. I'm just being hypothetical but if you sign a 4/40 deal wouldn't you be happy with more money on the front end so you can invest. As long as the guarantee number doesn't change I would think a declining deal would be beneficial to a player in theory. Declining doesn't really mean less... just more front loaded.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#267 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:
Tom White wrote:I would accept it if I knew that I was getting overpaid in the 1st year or 2.

oh, I'd accept it in more circumstances than that. It's not like you are going to be able to play until you're 65. you know that there will come a time when you will lose a step. if you are 30 and worry about how fit you will be at 32, you'd gladly take a lower guarantee in the 3rd and 4th years of a 4 year deal over a 2 year deal - okay, maybe you'd ask for a player option. conversely, the team can protect itself by asking for a team option somewhere in the deal.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#268 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:13 am

I'll be happy to sign Thad to something around 40-45m/4yrs

I actually think that back loading the contract will be more advantageous to the team, since it'll allow the team to be players in this year's and next year's off-season

This is especially if the team has big ambitions in free agency; giving Thad something like 6/8/12/16 will give the team enough cap space to throw money at some big name RFAs
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,091

Post#269 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I'll be happy to sign Thad to something around 40-45m/4yrs

I actually think that back loading the contract will be more advantageous to the team, since it'll allow the team to be players in this year's and next year's off-season

This is especially if the team has big ambitions in free agency; giving Thad something like 6/8/12/16 will give the team enough cap space to throw money at some big name RFAs

That’s not a legal contract format. Maximum raise or decrease in salary year over year is 8%.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#270 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Topofthekey wrote:giving Thad something like 6/8/12/16 will give the team enough cap space to throw money at some big name RFAs

even if that were legal, I wouldn't expect it to be agreeable. The team shouldn't want to commit to a deal that long without a team option or reduced guarantees somewhere in the middle, and the player shouldn't want the high dollar years to be subject to cancellation.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#271 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 am

Wizop wrote:The team shouldn't want to commit to a deal that long without a team option or reduced guarantees somewhere in the middle, and the player shouldn't want the high dollar years to be subject to cancellation.

I actually like Thad a lot as a supporting player, so I don't find it troubling to commit 4 years to him

That's the timeframe that this squad is looking to compete in anyway, so I'd say it's just nice, win win for both sides; Thad gets the security of a long term deal, Pacers obtain his services and compete
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#272 » by 8305 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:40 am

I think there is a win/win here with an offer of 3 years at 10 mil/year. I’d be surprised if Thad got an offer of substantially more than that in this market.

If he opts out I think the Pacers would be foolish not to kick the tires on guys they see with more upside.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#273 » by Pacersike » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:25 am

It's all forward now, power and small.

DC/CoJo/Aaron
Vic/Lance/Sumner
Bobo
Leaf
Sabonis/Turner/Ike

GRob doesn't have to back, his BBIQ is a bit too low for my taste.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#274 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:39 pm

don't see GRob3 getting long term deal unless team option to shorten it. expect a free agent wing. who???

Sent from my phone.
JermaineOYea
Senior
And1: 1,177

Post#275 » by JermaineOYea » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Wizop wrote:don't see GRob3 getting long term deal unless team option to shorten it. expect a free agent wing. who???

Sent from my phone.

Trevor Ariza, Rudy Gay, maybe even Jeff Green?

Can Hezonja play D?
BAT 19.0
Milwaukee Bucks

C - W. Cauley-Stein/A. Len
F - P. Siakim/D. Bertans
F - TJ Warren/E. Turner
G - B. Ingram/L. Stephenson
G - K. Walker/DJ Augustin/Y. Ferrell
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#276 » by MUpacersSIC » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:33 pm

I think our off season goes like this:

-Sign and trade a 2019 first rounder, Two small contracts for Aaron Gordon

-Thad, Joe Young, Big Al all end up gone

-Sign Tyreke Evans

-Sign Mario Hezonja

-Re-Sign GRIII

Lineup
PG- Collison, Joseph, Holiday
SG- Oladipo, GRIII, Sumner/Holiday
SF- Bojan, Evans, Hezonja
PF- Gordon, Leaf/Hezonja, Alize
C- Turner, Sabonis, (vet min)

I don’t think Sabonis and Turner will end up playing together like people hope if we sign Gordon or a Randle type. I’d rather have two of them playing in the similar roles they did as they can still get their minutes. Evans can play some 2 guard as well as the SF position. Basically sign him to play SF this season and some PG of we don’t bring back Collison/Joseph after this coming season. He’s a versatile player so it should work.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Wizop
RealGM

Post#277 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Day 2 of RealGM podcast has us signing Tyreke Evans for 3 years 30mm. Day 1 had us doing a sign and trade for Aaron Gordon sending only throw ins.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#278 » by MUpacersSIC » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Wizop wrote:Day 2 of RealGM podcast has us signing Tyreke Evans for 3 years 30mm. Day 1 had us doing a sign and trade for Aaron Gordon sending only throw ins.

I’m aware. I think it would be a great offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#279 » by Topofthekey » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Wizop wrote:Day 2 of RealGM podcast has us signing Tyreke Evans for 3 years 30mm. Day 1 had us doing a sign and trade for Aaron Gordon sending only throw ins.

I like the sound of that

AG checks a lot of boxes for what the team needs, and Tyreke Evans instantly becomes Pacers' best wing player off the bench

Dream scenario for me is the AG S&T doesn't involve Thad, and AG somehow develops a reliable 3pt shot and is able to play SF, meaning Pacers get to start Thad & AG at PF and SF; Bogie can then be package with one of either DC or Cojo for a long term solution at PG
Wizop
RealGM

Post#280 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Dream scenario for me is the AG S&T doesn't involve Thad, and AG somehow develops a reliable 3pt shot and is able to play SF, meaning Pacers get to start Thad & AG at PF and SF

I still believe AG is the wrong Gordon. I'd much rather allow Houston to dump EJ on us to clear room for PG or LeBron. AG is a 4 and I want to see how Damos and TJ do there this year. Alize might even get some run there although my hope would be for him to transition to the 3. Uthoff could also be signed from the Ants.

my dream scenario has us signing a young 3 & D wing a few inches taller than GRob to play behind Bogie this year and audition for the starting job next year.

Topofthekey wrote: Bogie can then be package with one of either DC or Cojo for a long term solution at PG

I'm not ready to give up on Holiday before he's played a minute of summer league. and while I'm willing to let Bogie, DC, and CoJo expire and leave next summer, I want to be a 50 game winner this year and I don't see that happening without them.

Return to Indiana Pacers