Potential FA to pursue this offseason

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,300

Re: Potential FA to pursue this offseason 

Post#41 » by boomershadow » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:30 pm

I liked OG because I felt he could be that Solomon Hill-esque defender off the bench while seeing if his offensive game could take off.
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 274

Post#42 » by HurricaneDij25 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:43 am

HurricaneDij25 wrote:Beyond that, the only type of FA's I'd looks to pursue, as I've mentioned before would be backup PF options in the event we lose Thad.

The likes of Trevor Booker and Amir Johnson come to mind.

Called this one. :D
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#43 » by Moooose » Fri Mar 2, 2018 1:45 pm

Before the news of Booker signing with the Pacers, the only guy on my wish list for next season is Aron Baynes.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,300

Post#44 » by boomershadow » Sun Mar 4, 2018 8:00 pm

Rodney Hood is listed as a 6'-8" shooting guard. I admit I haven't paid much attention to him. Is that accurate? Can he play small forward?
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#45 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Mar 4, 2018 9:25 pm

I was told this by a Jazz fan:

babyjax13 wrote:You'd hope Hood could play the 3, but he gets bullied when he does. Dudes not quite Rip Hamilton build, but he's got a really light frame.

Hood's a nice shooter, but he hasn't exactly developed as I thought he would. He's also RFA, though I have no idea how the Cavs feel about retaining him.

I guess I would prefer to look at other guys.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#46 » by babyjax13 » Sun Mar 4, 2018 11:25 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:I was told this by a Jazz fan:

babyjax13 wrote:You'd hope Hood could play the 3, but he gets bullied when he does. Dudes not quite Rip Hamilton build, but he's got a really light frame.

Hood's a nice shooter, but he hasn't exactly developed as I thought he would. He's also RFA, though I have no idea how the Cavs feel about retaining him.

I guess I would prefer to look at other guys.

Think most Jazz fans would agree.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#47 » by Topofthekey » Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:21 pm

Jake0890 wrote:I'd rather pass on Lavine. Unlike Gordon, he's gonna be an unquestioned max this summer. Even if someone gives him a max offer sheet, the Bulls are going to match. Likely though, he just signs a max outright with Chicago. For Gordon, it's questionable if he deserves the max and Orlando is questioning whether to give it to him or not. Makes him a more realistic target.

I browsed the Bulls forum a bit, and it seemed like to them Lavine isn't actually an unanimous max contract player. Of course, their GM likely doesn't make decisions based on browsing forums, so Bulls could indeed end up matching a max offer for Lavine. Still I'd like to see the Pacers try. Who knows, Bulls might decide Lavine isn't worth it, and negotiate a S&T. Maybe Bogie + CoJo (assuming he picks up his PO) + Leaf. Same goes for AG, throw money at him, and maybe Magic goes for S&T along the lines of Al Jeff + filler + rookie drafted with Pacers 1st. Pick up the team options of Domas and Lance and Joe Young, and Pacers should be near the salary cap (assuming Thad picks up his PO). Sign a veteran SF for cheap, maybe Damien Wilkins.

At that point, we could be looking at a lineup of Myles/AG/Wilkins/LaVine/Vic, with the 2nd unit being some combination of Domas/Thad/GR3/Lance/DC/Joe Young. One of the great thing with that roster is the luxury of having Thad and DC on the bench ready to start in case of injuries. Or they can just go big with Myles/Thad/AG/LaVine/Vic, or go small ball with Myles/AG/LaVine/Vic/DC, depending on matchups
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by Topofthekey » Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:22 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:I'd rather pass on Lavine. Unlike Gordon, he's gonna be an unquestioned max this summer. Even if someone gives him a max offer sheet, the Bulls are going to match. Likely though, he just signs a max outright with Chicago. For Gordon, it's questionable if he deserves the max and Orlando is questioning whether to give it to him or not. Makes him a more realistic target.

I browsed the Bulls forum a bit, and it seemed like to them Lavine isn't actually an unanimous max contract player. Of course, their GM likely doesn't make decisions based on browsing forums, so Bulls could indeed end up matching a max offer for Lavine. Still I'd like to see the Pacers try. Who knows, Bulls might decide Lavine isn't worth a big contract, and negotiate a S&T. Maybe Bogie + CoJo (assuming he picks up his PO) + Leaf. Same goes for AG, throw money at him, and maybe Magic goes for S&T along the lines of Al Jeff + filler + rookie drafted with Pacers 1st. Pick up the team options of Domas and Lance and Joe Young, and Pacers should be near the salary cap (assuming Thad picks up his PO). Sign a veteran SF for cheap, maybe Damien Wilkins.

At that point, we could be looking at a lineup of Myles/AG/Wilkins/LaVine/Vic, with the 2nd unit being some combination of Domas/Thad/GR3/Lance/DC/Joe Young. One of the great thing with that roster is the luxury of having Thad and DC on the bench ready to start in case of injuries. Or they can just go big with Myles/Thad/AG/LaVine/Vic, or go small ball with Myles/AG/LaVine/Vic/DC, depending on matchups
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by Topofthekey » Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:22 pm

I browsed the Bulls forum a bit, and it seemed like to them Lavine isn't actually an unanimous max contract player. Of course, their GM likely doesn't make decisions based on browsing forums, so Bulls could indeed end up matching a max offer for Lavine. Still I'd like to see the Pacers try. Who knows, Bulls might decide Lavine isn't worth a big contract, and negotiate a S&T. Maybe Bogie + CoJo (assuming he picks up his PO) + Leaf. Same goes for AG, throw money at him, and maybe Magic goes for S&T along the lines of Al Jeff + filler + rookie drafted with Pacers 1st. Pick up the team options of Domas and Lance and Joe Young, and Pacers should be near the salary cap (assuming Thad picks up his PO). Re-sign GR3 for cheap, and pick up a veteran SF as well, maybe Damien Wilkins.

At that point, we could be looking at a lineup of Myles/AG/Wilkins/LaVine/Vic, with the 2nd unit being some combination of Domas/Thad/GR3/Lance/DC/Joe Young.

One of the great thing with that roster is the luxury of having Thad and DC on the bench ready to start in case of injuries. Or they can just go big with Myles/Thad/AG/LaVine/Vic, or go small ball with Myles/AG/LaVine/Vic/DC, depending on matchups
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#50 » by Tom White » Tue Mar 6, 2018 2:50 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I browsed the Bulls forum a bit, and it seemed like to them Lavine isn't actually an unanimous max contract player. Of course, their GM likely doesn't make decisions based on browsing forums, so Bulls could indeed end up matching a max offer for Lavine. Still I'd like to see the Pacers try. Who knows, Bulls might decide Lavine isn't worth it, and negotiate a S&T. Maybe Bogie + CoJo (assuming he picks up his PO) + Leaf. Same goes for AG, throw money at him, and maybe Magic goes for S&T along the lines of Al Jeff + filler + rookie drafted with Pacers 1st. Pick up the team options of Domas and Lance and Joe Young, and Pacers should be near the salary cap (assuming Thad picks up his PO). Sign a veteran SF for cheap, maybe Damien Wilkins.

I've got to say it. I hate those trade ideas.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#51 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Mar 6, 2018 3:31 pm

Topofthekey wrote:

I browsed the Bulls forum a bit, and it seemed like to them Lavine isn't actually an unanimous max contract player. Of course, their GM likely doesn't make decisions based on browsing forums, so Bulls could indeed end up matching a max offer for Lavine. Still I'd like to see the Pacers try. Who knows, Bulls might decide Lavine isn't worth a big contract, and negotiate a S&T. Maybe Bogie + CoJo (assuming he picks up his PO) + Leaf. Same goes for AG, throw money at him, and maybe Magic goes for S&T along the lines of Al Jeff + filler + rookie drafted with Pacers 1st. Pick up the team options of Domas and Lance and Joe Young, and Pacers should be near the salary cap (assuming Thad picks up his PO). Re-sign GR3 for cheap, and pick up a veteran SF as well, maybe Damien Wilkins.

At that point, we could be looking at a lineup of Myles/AG/Wilkins/LaVine/Vic, with the 2nd unit being some combination of Domas/Thad/GR3/Lance/DC/Joe Young.

One of the great thing with that roster is the luxury of having Thad and DC on the bench ready to start in case of injuries. Or they can just go big with Myles/Thad/AG/LaVine/Vic, or go small ball with Myles/AG/LaVine/Vic/DC, depending on matchups

I've got to ask... Are you suggesting that next year we start Damien Wilkins at SF?? The same 38 year old Damien Wilkins that we waived a while back? The same 38 year old that after we waived him no one signed him so he now is a 38 year old G league player?? Is there another veteran SF named Damien Wilkins that I don't know about? Otherwise..... C'mon man..... :crazy:
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#52 » by Tom White » Tue Mar 6, 2018 4:54 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
I've got to ask... Are you suggesting that next year we start Damien Wilkins at SF?? The same 38 year old Damien Wilkins that we waived a while back? The same 38 year old that after we waived him no one signed him so he now is a 38 year old G league player?? Is there another veteran SF named Damien Wilkins that I don't know about? Otherwise..... C'mon man..... :crazy:

Sometimes I think Grimp (from PD) is posting here under different screen names. :lol:

For those who don't know, Grimp is a guy who has never met a trade he didn't like. Funny guy, though.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#53 » by Wizop » Tue Mar 6, 2018 5:31 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Maybe Bogie + CoJo (assuming he picks up his PO) + Leaf.

non-starter for me. Bogie and CoJo have exceeded expectations and are a big part of our success and Leaf is a rookie. I want them all back and Thad too. I'd be happy just replacing Poythress with a draft pick and stashing the 2nd round pick in Europe if he can't beat out either of our current two-way guys.

Edit: just listened to Booker's initial interview. he had options with other playoff teams and chose us after researching. I think the notion that quality free agents won't want to come here is overblown.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#54 » by pacers33granger » Thu Mar 8, 2018 6:27 pm

Wizop wrote:Edit: just listened to Booker's initial interview. he had options with other playoff teams and chose us after researching. I think the notion that quality free agents won't want to come here is overblown.

I think we'll have interest simply by virtue of being one of a handful of teams who can have a good chunk of space easily. It's a tight market next summer.

Like Booker said, the players all being close and having fun will be a big factor. He didn't give the standard "I have a chance to contribute to a playoff team" answer, though I do wonder if that was also what swayed him if other teams wanted him as more of an emergency big.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#55 » by Wizop » Thu Mar 8, 2018 6:34 pm

pacers33granger wrote:He didn't give the standard "I have a chance to contribute to a playoff team" answer

he said he had other offers from playoff teams which kind of took that answer off the table. I took the deciding factor to be a happy locker room.

I found it interesting that he called Jefferson "Big Al" in a way that said that's what the players call him.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#56 » by pacers33granger » Thu Mar 8, 2018 7:39 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:He didn't give the standard "I have a chance to contribute to a playoff team" answer

he said he had other offers from playoff teams which kind of took that answer off the table.

What I meant was it may have been for playoff teams, but as an end of the bench vet who likely wouldn't see playing time.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#57 » by Wizop » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:50 am

watching Lakers Cavs, I think I make an offer to Randle even though he's restricted if only to force Lakers hand.

Sent from my phone.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#58 » by Jake0890 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:08 am

Wizop wrote:watching Lakers Cavs, I think I make an offer to Randle even though he's restricted if only to force Lakers hand.

Sent from my phone.

I just pulled up this thread to post this exact thing. Randle looks phenomenal now and I would love to see us go after him. He's DESTROYING larry nance and the Cavs' interior defense (or lack thereof).

I don't foresee him getting maxed, so we've gotta find that sweet spot between him getting maxed and the point where the Lakers won't go any higher.

Would fill a nice hole on our roster, imo.
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Potential FA to pursue this offseason 

Post#59 » by Wizop » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:29 am

Jake0890 wrote:
I don't foresee him getting maxed, so we've gotta find that sweet spot between him getting maxed and the point where the Lakers won't go any higher.

even if the Lakers go higher, it kills their plans to sign max free agents. I hate the way the Lakers want to treat teams like their farm team.

Sent from my phone.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Re: RE: Re: Potential FA to pursue this offseason 

Post#60 » by Jake0890 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:08 am

Wizop wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:

even if the Lakers go higher, it kills their plans to sign max free agents. I hate the way the Lakers want to treat teams like their farm team.

Sent from my phone.

True, but if the Lakers find they are getting little interest from guys like LeBron and PG, they might just "punt" on the off-season, re-sign their guys and try again next year. if that happens, I think it'll be hard to pry Randle away. Their trading away Nance and Clarkson kinda gave the impression to me that they plan to keep him around.

but if we reach an agreement with Randle early on, that might force them to make a decision on Randle before they make a decision regarding the bigger name free agents, who knows.

Return to Indiana Pacers