Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Re: Potential FA to pursue this offseason 

Post#441 » by Vorda » Thu Jul 5, 2018 6:29 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Vorda wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
I was being sarcastic about him not being able to find Indiana on a map. But a lot of people outside the US only know about California and New York City.

You would be surprised... people in Europe watch American movies and series on daily base, so they Know a lot about USA... much more than average american citizen about Europe...

I watch American movies too and most only depict NYC, LA, Miami and Chicago. Hell half the people in NY and California can't find Indiana on a map.

and Las Vegas :D

You wouldnt belive... but on TV you can learn a lot about cities... for example...The Mentalist was based in Sacramento, Full House in SF, Breaking Bad in Albaquerqe, Rocky in Phillie, Grimm in Portland, Cheers in Boston, Fraiser in Seattle... you just have to watch a lot of TV... :D
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#442 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jul 5, 2018 7:02 pm

Vorda wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Vorda wrote:
You would be surprised... people in Europe watch American movies and series on daily base, so they Know a lot about USA... much more than average american citizen about Europe...

I watch American movies too and most only depict NYC, LA, Miami and Chicago. Hell half the people in NY and California can't find Indiana on a map.

You wouldnt belive... but on TV you can learn a lot about cities... for example...The Mentalist was based in Sacramento, Full House in SF, Breaking Bad in Albaquerqe, Rocky in Phillie, Grimm in Portland, Cheers in Boston, Fraiser in Seattle... you just have to watch a lot of TV... :D

When was the last time you say a TV show based in Indianapolis? There is a show on HGTV called Good Bones it's one of those house rehab and flipping shows. Not a bad show it features a mother and daughter team that fix up old houses in the Fountain Square and Bates-Hendricks neighborhoods of Indianapolis.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#443 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 5, 2018 7:03 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Vorda wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

When was the last time you say a TV show based in Indianapolis? There is a show on HGTV called Good Bones it's one of those house rehab and flipping shows. Not a bad show it features a mother and daughter team that fix up old houses in the Fountain Square and Bates-Hendricks neighborhoods of Indianapolis.

Not Indianapolis, but the Middle and Parks and Rec were based in Indiana and weren’t totally awful for the image of Indiana. :lol:
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#444 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jul 5, 2018 7:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Vorda wrote:

Not Indianapolis, but the Middle and Parks and Rec were based in Indiana and weren’t totally awful for the image of Indiana. :lol:

I've never seen that.

I do recall that Stranger Things on Netflix was set in a fictional Indiana town.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#445 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 5, 2018 8:00 pm

One Day at a Time
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#446 » by Tom White » Thu Jul 5, 2018 9:30 pm

Not Indianapolis, but Eerie, Indiana

And by the way, there are reasons it used to be known as Naptown.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#447 » by boomershadow » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:18 pm

I think it would be interesting to look at Jimmy Butler either in trade or for signing next off-season. We know he is unhappy in Minnesota because he doesn't feel like the team is serious enough about working hard and seriously trying to win. I think the word is out around the league that that's what this team is all about. Oladipo in his MIP interviews was saying basically that exact thing. If you wanna work hard and win games, come here. I think he could be a much better recruiter for good players than we have ever really had.

We will have the cap space, and he plays a position we have a need for. A really high level starting small forward could propel this team forward.

Imagine a starting lineup of Evans, Oladipo, Butler. That would be scary on both ends of the floor. It falls in line with what Pritchard has been saying about 2 or 3 different play makers on the floor at once. It's very difficult for a defense to neutralize one high level play maker and almost impossible to contain 3.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#448 » by Topofthekey » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Oh yes, I'd love to see Jimmy Butler on this team, especially if Pacers are able to sign him outright

I think he is the no ego type who should be able to adapt to being the number 2 guy on the team behind Vic, and what a number 2 guy he would be

It's been reported that he wants to team up with Kyrie Irving though, so if he is adamant about that, then chances are he's not coming to the Pacers
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#449 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Oh yes, I'd love to see Jimmy Butler on this team, especially if Pacers are able to sign him outright

I think he is the no ego type who should be able to adapt to being the number 2 guy on the team behind Vic, and what a number 2 guy he would be

It's been reported that he wants to team up with Kyrie Irving though, so if he is adamant about that, then chances are he's not coming to the Pacers

We could theoretically come really close to offering two max contracts. Would require renouncing everyone and using Leaf and either Holliday or next year’s first to dump McDermott. Essentially, it would keep Oladipo, Sabonis, and Myles’ bird rights, and then seeing if Kyrie and Butler take a hair less than a max contract (instead of 30%, each take about 28-29%). Then, just the room exception to add a full bench :o
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#450 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Of course I would want to add an elite player like Butler to the team. I'm not too optimistic about signing him in FA though, with or without Kyrie. We had big hopes too going into FA this year (that Aaron Gordon rumor got my hopes up, even though I didn't even particularly like Gordon) but in the end we just upgraded the bench. Which is not a bad thing of course, but a far cry from signing the top FAs on the market.

Trading for Butler as a 1 year gamble (a la OKC) might be the best chance, but we'd probably have to sacrifice Turner at the very least, for a guy who can leave for nothing. Risky stuff. As with the Gordon thing, I'd be pretty excited if we decide to go for it, but I don't really expect it to happen. For better or worse, we're just not the sort of team that gambles big.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#451 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:17 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:Of course I would want to add an elite player like Butler to the team. I'm not too optimistic about signing him in FA though, with or without Kyrie. We had big hopes too going into FA this year (that Aaron Gordon rumor got my hopes up, even though I didn't even particularly like Gordon) but in the end we just upgraded the bench. Which is not a bad thing of course, but a far cry from signing the top FAs on the market.

Trading for Butler as a 1 year gamble (a la OKC) might be the best chance, but we'd probably have to sacrifice Turner at the very least, for a guy who can leave for nothing. Risky stuff. As with the Gordon thing, I'd be pretty excited if we decide to go for it, but I don't really expect it to happen. For better or worse, we're just not the sort of team that gambles big.

Ultimately, We can keep all our guys that have contracts for next year (Oladipo, McDermott, Sabonis, Leaf, Holiday, and Ike, and keep the Bird Rights on Myles and Sumner, and our 1st round pick in next year’s draft), and we’d be at almost $52m in cap space. Think of that as one max contract, and then still having almost $20m in cap space to split amongst Thad, Tyreke, Collison, and Joseph. Plus, we’d then have the room exception again of $4.5m.

So, lots of flexibility and options to go.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#452 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:46 pm

As much as I like Butler, I don't see us going "all in" this summer. We'd have to trade players we really like and break the "promise" to give the guys the chance they earned when they exceeded expectations last year.

I see the only hole now as 3rd string center as I don't think Ike is ready and I don't see Leaf as a center. O'Quinn could be the best answer on the current roster but I don't see him solving the problem we had last year playing against guys like Stephen Adams and Valanciunus. Perhaps the plan is to live with the rebounding problem and trust that our centers' outside shooting advantage will overcome their inside game disadvantage. I'd prefer to add a "hoss" at the end of the bench.

If I count right, we only have 13 signed contracts plus Sumner's 2-way with Alize, Moore, and Poythress yet to be inked. we can keep them all of one gets a 2-way. my preference would be to give Poythress a minimum, Alize a 2-way, let Moore walk, and look for a 7 footer. whether we have only the minimum available or still have the room exception available is unclear to me.

I'm not sure Pritchard sees the problem I do or if he does perhaps Scoot has the numbers right and the room exception is gone because I would have taken a run at Robin Lopez and I don't think we did. a third possibility is that Ike is close to healthy and we want to see what he can do before we sign someone else. I suppose Sims is also a possibility.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#453 » by pacers33granger » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:49 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:Of course I would want to add an elite player like Butler to the team. I'm not too optimistic about signing him in FA though, with or without Kyrie. We had big hopes too going into FA this year (that Aaron Gordon rumor got my hopes up, even though I didn't even particularly like Gordon) but in the end we just upgraded the bench. Which is not a bad thing of course, but a far cry from signing the top FAs on the market.

I'd have to agree largely. Butler is more of a pipedream, but who knows. I don't think we have the pieces to get him from Minny though. Bogie has to be in the deal (for multiple reasons), but after that it gets tough to put together a package Minny would want without a 3rd team. I doubt they really want Myles or Sabonis with KAT there and picks alone won't do it.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#454 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Wizop wrote:As much as I like Butler, I don't see us going "all in" this summer. We'd have to trade players we really like and break the "promise" to give the guys the chance they earned when they exceeded expectations last year.

I see the only hole now as 3rd string center as I don't think Ike is ready and I don't see Leaf as a center. O'Quinn could be the best answer on the current roster but I don't see him solving the problem we had last year playing against guys like Stephen Adams and Valanciunus. Perhaps the plan is to live with the rebounding problem and trust that our centers' outside shooting advantage will overcome their inside game disadvantage. I'd prefer to add a "hoss" at the end of the bench.

If I count right, we only have 13 signed contracts plus Sumner's 2-way with Alize, Moore, and Poythress yet to be inked. we can keep them all of one gets a 2-way. my preference would be to give Poythress a minimum, Alize a 2-way, let Moore walk, and look for a 7 footer. whether we have only the minimum available or still have the room exception available is unclear to me.

I'm not sure Pritchard sees the problem I do or if he does perhaps Scoot has the numbers right and the room exception is gone because I would have taken a run at Robin Lopez and I don't think we did. a third possibility is that Ike is close to healthy and we want to see what he can do before we sign someone else. I suppose Sims is also a possibility.

O’Quinn is the 3rd center. Ike is the 4th center. Myles will get the 1st minutes there, woh Don getting lost of the rest. They’ll play together too, but each will play at the 5. So, I think you’re looking for a 5th center, which just isn’t a necessity in any way in the current nba.

Also, the room exception is long gone. Unless o’Quinn Signed for the vet minimum, there was no other way we could’ve signed him. Every penny of our cap space went to Tyreke and Dougie. The only way to sign O’Quinn would’ve been with an exception, either the vet minimum or the Room Exception. Then, we waived Poythress after. Likely a motivation more than anything else as it didn’t get us a dime of cap space but just cleared a roster spot.

Ultimately, I think we’re still looking for a 3/4 kind of player. Maybe that’s Alize on the main roster, but if not, that might be Poythress or someone we don’t yet know of. I see us fine at the 1 with Collison, Joseph, Holiday, and Oladipo and Tyreke able to handle duties there too. The two spot is likely fine with Oladipo, Tyreke, Joseph, McDermott, and maybe even Boie able to play there. The 3? Bogie, McDermott, maybe Tyreke and Oladipo in certain lineups? I just see that kind of stretch 3 into a 4 being helpful there. A younger and slightly more stretch kind of Thad, ultimately.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#455 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I think you’re looking for a 5th center, which just isn’t a necessity in any way in the current nba.

I'm looking for a bigger center. I get that Pritchard may agree with you that one is not necessary.

Scoot McGroot wrote:Then, we waived Poythress after. Likely a motivation more than anything else as it didn’t get us a dime of cap space but just cleared a roster spot.

I'm not sure it makes any difference, but everything I read says we waived Poythress before signing O'Quinn and not afterwards. the whole thing makes a lot more sense if the numbers after waiving Poythress allowed us to still be under the cap after signing O'Quinn, but without any of the contracts being public information, your guess is as good as mine. I suppose the only way to know for sure is with hindsight if we announce another signing at more than the minimum.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#456 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I think you’re looking for a 5th center, which just isn’t a necessity in any way in the current nba.

I'm looking for a bigger center. I get that Pritchard may agree with you that one is not necessary.

Scoot McGroot wrote:Then, we waived Poythress after. Likely a motivation more than anything else as it didn’t get us a dime of cap space but just cleared a roster spot.

I'm not sure it makes any difference, but everything I read says we waived Poythress before signing O'Quinn and not afterwards. the whole thing makes a lot more sense if the numbers after waiving Poythress allowed us to still be under the cap after signing O'Quinn, but without any of the contracts being public information, your guess is as good as mine. I suppose the only way to know for sure is with hindsight if we announce another signing at more than the minimum.

The team doesn’t announce the contracts, but the players association records them and they are common knowledge at that point. That’s why Smitty, Eric Pincus, Mark Deeks, etc, will all report the same numbers, and impeccably accurately.

The numbers are known. It’s just that beat reporters and local guys often times have no idea how the cap works or the machinations of it. That’s why guys like Larry Coon, Eric Pincus, Keith Smith, Mark Deeks, Zach Lowe, etc are all national guys and able to write much more in the cap and its machinations than any local guy we’ve ever had in Indy, or Cleveland has ever had.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#457 » by winter_mute_13 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:30 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I'd have to agree largely. Butler is more of a pipedream, but who knows. I don't think we have the pieces to get him from Minny though. Bogie has to be in the deal (for multiple reasons), but after that it gets tough to put together a package Minny would want without a 3rd team. I doubt they really want Myles or Sabonis with KAT there and picks alone won't do it.

Just to be clear, I meant Turner would be used to get assets that Minny would want. Agreed that the Pacers' own picks wouldn't be attractive enough.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#458 » by Jake0890 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:39 pm

4 yr/$52 mil for Smart to return to the Celtics.

good long term deal.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#459 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Jake0890 wrote:4 yr/$52 mil for Smart to return to the Celtics.

if Tyreke stays healthy, I think we got the better deal for this year at least. resigning him for the same money might not be easy if he has a big year.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#460 » by Jake0890 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:36 am

Read on Twitter

I thought this was interesting after our free agency period.

Return to Indiana Pacers