Potential FA to pursue this offseason

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,073

Re: Potential FA to pursue this offseason 

Post#461 » by Wizop » Fri Aug 3, 2018 8:35 pm

Reports have us signing CJ Wilcox to the 2nd two way spot. That means Moore is up in the air. He could get the 15th real contract, be cut, be an Ant, or Sumner could get a full time deal allowing Moore to stay on a two way.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#462 » by Jake0890 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 11:04 pm

CJ Wilcox can... shoot. I guess that's good enough nowadays.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#463 » by Wizop » Fri Aug 3, 2018 11:33 pm

Jake0890 wrote:CJ Wilcox can... shoot. I guess that's good enough nowadays.
that's certainly what he brings that Moore didn't. but it's a low risk two way.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#464 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 4, 2018 1:06 am

No guarantee he stays as a 2 way out of camp. It’s only a $50k guarantee so easy to eat it if we something in an Elijah Stewart or someone else.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#465 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 7:00 am

Got to admit, he didn't particularly stand out to me in SL, but wings who can shoot are generally a good bet, especially for so little investment. I'm in favor (not that my opinion matters).
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#466 » by Moooose » Sat Aug 4, 2018 8:16 am

Good signing, shooting is definitely his biggest (and perhaps, only) strength. Was considered a sleeper back in the draft but didn't pan out. Maybe not yet.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#467 » by Wizop » Sat Aug 4, 2018 12:31 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:No guarantee he stays as a 2 way out of camp. It’s only a $50k guarantee so easy to eat it if we something in an Elijah Stewart or someone else.
sure but we still have a roster spot if we see something special. CJ can just be an Ant barring injuries. really though I don't see anyone coming who will actually play regularly unless they are ready to give up on TJ.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#468 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:03 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:No guarantee he stays as a 2 way out of camp. It’s only a $50k guarantee so easy to eat it if we something in an Elijah Stewart or someone else.
sure but we still have a roster spot if we see something special. CJ can just be an Ant barring injuries. really though I don't see anyone coming who will actually play regularly unless they are ready to give up on TJ.

Sent from my phone.

I think Somner could snag a promotion earlier than later, too.

In other news, Joe Young is signing in China.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#469 » by Wizop » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:56 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I think Somner could snag a promotion earlier than later.

agree. Sumner could get a regular contract if we need another two way.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#470 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 5, 2018 1:03 am

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I think Somner could snag a promotion earlier than later.

agree. Sumner could get a regular contract if we need another two way.

Yeah. I think we keep the 15th clear to start the season though, but if Somner continues to show out well in camp, I’m not sure we’d keep him on the two way for long.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#471 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 8, 2018 10:20 pm

Trevor Booker signing in China, too. Makes 3 guys from last year’s roster heading to China in Al, Joe Young, and now Booker.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#472 » by Jake0890 » Wed Aug 8, 2018 10:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Trevor Booker signing in China, too. Makes 3 guys from last year’s roster heading to China in Al, Joe Young, and now Booker.

Booker is not like the others, though. He’s still an NBA talent and will sign for some contender after the Chinese season is over.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#473 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 9, 2018 1:45 am

Jake0890 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Trevor Booker signing in China, too. Makes 3 guys from last year’s roster heading to China in Al, Joe Young, and now Booker.

Booker is not like the others, though. He’s still an NBA talent and will sign for some contender after the Chinese season is over.

He’s still taking a pay cut though. He allegedly is getting $2m there. His minimum salary is $2.2m this year. Even worse, he only would’ve cost, and count against the cap, for a team at $1.5m (the nba pays the rest so that vets don’t get blackballed for younger talent due to the rising cost of minimum deals). Seems like someone would’ve given him a one year deal, but apparently not.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#474 » by Topofthekey » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:43 pm

So there was a thread a while back in the T&T board about Pacers trading for Jimmy Butler

And of course before that, there was a report about Butler and Kyrie Irving talking among themselves of teaming up

My initial thought has always been it's difficult to see Kyrie and Vic coexisting, they both need the ball in their hands to be their most effective. Add to that Kyrie is meh on defense, and Vic is a little undersized at SG, it seems like someone like Kyle Lowry, someone who plays defense, shoots well, and is effective without the ball, would be a better fit with Vic

However, I've warmed up a bit to the prospects of a Vic-Kyrie backcourt recently

Kyrie, even with his shortcomings on defense, is pretty clutch on offense, and is a pretty good shooter it seems (he shot above 40% 3pt this last season). For those possessions when Vic is the one creating with the ball, perhaps Kyrie can learn to take advantage of the defense's attention on Vic and capitalize a bit more on his shooting. And with Kyrie shouldering a huge chunk of the burden on offense, Vic who has good instincts on defense is perhaps then free to expand more energy on the defensive end. Who knows, maybe there is a way for them to coexist after all

So, what are the chances of the Pacers actually landing both Butler and Kyrie in FA next year?

Is it realistic?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#475 » by Wizop » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:33 pm

Topofthekey wrote:However, I've warmed up a bit to the prospects of a Vic-Kyrie backcourt recently

and I've warmed to the prospects of a Vic-Tyreke backcourt

Topofthekey wrote:So, what are the chances of the Pacers actually landing both Butler and Kyrie in FA next year?

slim to none although Butler would be huge and if finding a spot for Kyrie is the price of getting him you'd have to pay it.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#476 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:17 pm

Topofthekey wrote:So there was a thread a while back in the T&T board about Pacers trading for Jimmy Butler

And of course before that, there was a report about Butler and Kyrie Irving talking among themselves of teaming up

My initial thought has always been it's difficult to see Kyrie and Vic coexisting, they both need the ball in their hands to be their most effective. Add to that Kyrie is meh on defense, and Vic is a little undersized at SG, it seems like someone like Kyle Lowry, someone who plays defense, shoots well, and is effective without the ball, would be a better fit with Vic

However, I've warmed up a bit to the prospects of a Vic-Kyrie backcourt recently

Kyrie, even with his shortcomings on defense, is pretty clutch on offense, and is a pretty good shooter it seems (he shot above 40% 3pt this last season). For those possessions when Vic is the one creating with the ball, perhaps Kyrie can learn to take advantage of the defense's attention on Vic and capitalize a bit more on his shooting. And with Kyrie shouldering a huge chunk of the burden on offense, Vic who has good instincts on defense is perhaps then free to expand more energy on the defensive end. Who knows, maybe there is a way for them to coexist after all

So, what are the chances of the Pacers actually landing both Butler and Kyrie in FA next year?

Is it realistic?

Adding both Kyrie and Butler would require dumping everyone for no return salary except Dom and Vic, and keeping Myles unsigned and on his cap hold. Trading away first round pick as well. And renouncing everyone. It’s be Kyrie/Vic/Butler/Dom/Myles with just the room exception and vet minimum (could keep Alize and Somner). No one else.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#477 » by pacers33granger » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Kyrie has strong potential to be a bad contract real quick. Best case scenario, you're expecting somewhere around 65 games out of him yearly (he's averaged 63 a year) and odds are you're getting a lot less than that several of the coming years. When healthy he's barely in the top 5 PGs imo, so it's just not worth it.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#478 » by Tom White » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:39 am

pacers33granger wrote:Kyrie has strong potential to be a bad contract real quick. Best case scenario, you're expecting somewhere around 65 games out of him yearly (he's averaged 63 a year) and odds are you're getting a lot less than that several of the coming years. When healthy he's barely in the top 5 PGs imo, so it's just not worth it.

I agree. I'll add that there has always been something about him (other than his "flat Earth" belief) that just doesn't set right with me. Hard to put a definition on it, but just something about his demeanor.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#479 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Tom White wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Kyrie has strong potential to be a bad contract real quick. Best case scenario, you're expecting somewhere around 65 games out of him yearly (he's averaged 63 a year) and odds are you're getting a lot less than that several of the coming years. When healthy he's barely in the top 5 PGs imo, so it's just not worth it.

I agree. I'll add that there has always been something about him (other than his "flat Earth" belief) that just doesn't set right with me. Hand to put a definition on it, but just something about his demeanor.

he’s the type of superstar that you can’t really put out as the face of the franchise. He’s old school in that he really just doesn’t care, and would rather avoid that. He won’t just say what a franchise wants him to say or do what they want him to do.

He’s kind of the opposite of Vic. Vic is naturally personable and oozes charisma. He’s super appreciative and feels a sense of home. Kyrie is truly like a mercenary in this regards. He traveled so much growing up he doesn’t really have a “home” and feels a sense of freedom that way.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#480 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:05 am

2 points #1 we will not be able to sign Kyrie because he won't sign with us. #2 we shouldn't sign him unless he's coming in at a discount for 3 years which he won't.

Return to Indiana Pacers