Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Potential FA to pursue this offseason 

Post#501 » by pacers33granger » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:I'd prefer to just throw an offer at Kemba and if he says no then let Holiday have the spot and retain one of Cojo/Collison to back him up over going after Bledsoe. Similar game to Dipo (but worse), not a great shooter, and has caused lockerroom issues in the past.

let's see what the current group can do first. I certainly am not convinced that both CoJo and Collison return next year, but I think Evans and Sumner have a year to tell us whether next year's starter at point is already on our roster.

this thread was about the 2018 offseason. that is now over. is it really time to think about the 2019 offseason? I'm not even ready to think about trading deadline deals.

Agree that it's a bit early, but I know that Bledsoe should not be on our radar no matter the circumstances. I won't be shocked if Evans works out and gets brought back but I can't imagine any scenario where we bring him back to be our starting PG. He has a lot of PG skills, but he's a combo guard.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#502 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:32 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I can't imagine any scenario where we bring him back to be our starting PG. He has a lot of PG skills, but he's a combo guard.

as is Victor. I can imagine them playing so well together that starting both becomes our best option, but as I wrote yesterday it is early. in my view, what goes wrong when you play without a true point guard is that you can't get that you can't get the ball up court against pressure. I haven't seen enough of Evans to know how well he handles the ball. I also don't know how well he defends the 1 which is the other potential problem.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#503 » by pacers33granger » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Wizop wrote: I haven't seen enough of Evans to know how well he handles the ball. I also don't know how well he defends the 1 which is the other potential problem.

These are my two major issues with the pairing longterm as starters based on Evans career to date. He's good, but not great handling the ball and tends to play a style of bully ball, which does work at times, but I could see him getting pickpocketed far too often if he's asked to be a full time ballhandler against starting PGs.

And there's no way he can defend the smaller, quicker guys effectively enough. Vic can usually, but oftentimes I'm sure we'd prefer him on the other guard.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#504 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:30 pm

pacers33granger wrote:These are my two major issues with the pairing long term as starters based on Evans career to date.

I don't watch many games other than ours so I have no basis for an opinion on Evans ball handling or defense. it'll be a few months before we get a good picture of how Evans, DC, CoJo, Holiday, and Sumner fit into the rotation this year and long term.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#505 » by pacers33granger » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:These are my two major issues with the pairing long term as starters based on Evans career to date.

I don't watch many games other than ours so I have no basis for an opinion on Evans ball handling or defense. it'll be a few months before we get a good picture of how Evans, DC, CoJo, Holiday, and Sumner fit into the rotation this year and long term.

Totally agree that we'll have the full picture once the season gets going.

Based on the play I've seen from Evans in the past, I'd characterize his ballhandling as similar to Lance's, albeit with less flash.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#506 » by Topofthekey » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:17 am

I'm not too enthusiastic with starting Evans at PG at this point

From the first few games of the season, it seems like he tends to hang on to the ball a bit too much; it usually results in him trying to bulldoze his way to the basket (not good) or Pacers having to take a rushed shot with the shot clock winding down (also not good)

He does has his moments but I'd really hesitate to make him the full time PG

Sumner and Holiday both showed some promise, but I can't imagine either of them being ready to be a full time starter so soon

As for DC and CoJo, well, they've served the team well, but Pacers will move on after this season; I really can't imagine the team bringing back both of them again

I do agree that Vic being somewhat of a combo guard could also be a candidate to take over PG duties, perhaps sporadically; I can see Pacers bringing CoJo back to start with Vic in the backcourt, with Vic sliding to PG position when another SG subs in for CoJo
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#507 » by Vorda » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:09 am

Next year UFA are Rubio, Kemba, Payton... so we should look one of those guys to sign... we need upgrade on PG...
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,594

Post#508 » by NYG » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:58 pm

See all 17 trades that will happen this season (with full season predictions and 2019 Mock Off-Season for all 30 teams to come): http://www.thesportscrazy.com

INDIANA PACERS GET: Lance Stephenson

LOS ANGELES LAKERS GET: Kyle O'Quinn

The Indiana Pacers and Lance Stephenson have always been connected. At the cost of a free agent signing that wasn't an absolute need to bring him back seems worth it to the Pacers. Stephenson will probably be ready to reset in Indiana as he doesn't appear to be a great fit next to LeBron.

The Los Angeles Lakers should realize early on that Lance Stephenson doesn't compliment LeBron well. If they could turn him into some credible center depth, they should go for it. O'Quinn provides the Lakers with a solid big man off of the bench that plays well in his role.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#509 » by Tom White » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:12 pm

NYG wrote:See all 17 trades that will happen this season (with full season predictions and 2019 Mock Off-Season for all 30 teams to come): http://www.thesportscrazy.com

The Indiana Pacers and Lance Stephenson have always been connected. At the cost of a free agent signing that wasn't an absolute need to bring him back seems worth it to the Pacers. Stephenson will probably be ready to reset in Indiana as he doesn't appear to be a great fit next to LeBron.

The Los Angeles Lakers should realize early on that Lance Stephenson doesn't compliment LeBron well. If they could turn him into some credible center depth, they should go for it. O'Quinn provides the Lakers with a solid big man off of the bench that plays well in his role.

We have a new Worst Idea Of The Month award winner! The Sports Crazy is an appropriate name.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#510 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:26 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I'm not too enthusiastic with starting Evans at PG at this point .... As for DC and CoJo, well, they've served the team well, but Pacers will move on after this season; I really can't imagine the team bringing back both of them again

CoJo and Evans are quickly becoming an effective duo. here from the Star

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2018/10/25/pacers/1759519002/

it is so nice to have the second unit extending leads instead of losing them.

if I had to guess what we'll do next summer, I'd guess we'd keep one of DC and CoJo but not both and I'd lean toward keeping CoJo because he's younger. otoh, I think it is more likely we'd keep both than neither. I think it is inevitable that some injuries will occur during the course of this season and when they do, we'll get a chance to see how other starting units perform.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#511 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:56 pm

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:I'm not too enthusiastic with starting Evans at PG at this point .... As for DC and CoJo, well, they've served the team well, but Pacers will move on after this season; I really can't imagine the team bringing back both of them again

CoJo and Evans are quickly becoming an effective duo. here from the Star

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2018/10/25/pacers/1759519002/

it is so nice to have the second unit extending leads instead of losing them.

if I had to guess what we'll do next summer, I'd guess we'd keep one of DC and CoJo but not both and I'd lean toward keeping CoJo because he's younger. otoh, I think it is more likely we'd keep both than neither. I think it is inevitable that some injuries will occur during the course of this season and when they do, we'll get a chance to see how other starting units perform.

Agreed. Unless they bring in a FA PG to start and let Holiday run the 2nd unit.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#512 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:Agreed. Unless they bring in a FA PG to start and let Holiday run the 2nd unit.

they could also decide to let Bogie test the market and start Evans at 3. a starting unit or CoJo, Vic, Reke, Damos, and Myles is a possibility.

bottom line, I think next summer like last summer we'll see that the key free agents are already here.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#513 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:19 pm

NYG wrote:See all 17 trades that will happen this season (with full season predictions and 2019 Mock Off-Season for all 30 teams to come): http://www.thesportscrazy.com

Nope. No thanks. Kyle O’Quinn is a luxury as the 5th big man, but that will come in handy at times. It already has with Leaf having missed a couple games and Dom too. Lance? We replaced him for this year with Tyreke. And Holiday. And even Sumner. This season, KOQ simply helps us a lot more than Lance would. We love him, but we’re not going to weaken the team just to sit him inactive some nights.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#514 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:23 pm

I think CoJo is more likely to be kept between him and Collison. CoJo’s flexibility in defending 2’s means we could play him next to an Oladipo and still develop a Holliday. Even if we chased a Kemba, I could still see CoJo come back due to his flexibility in lineups and defensive presence.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#515 » by pacers33granger » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:35 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I think CoJo is more likely to be kept between him and Collison. CoJo’s flexibility in defending 2’s means we could play him next to an Oladipo and still develop a Holliday. Even if we chased a Kemba, I could still see CoJo come back due to his flexibility in lineups and defensive presence.

I'm not a fan of starting CoJo, but I could see this while Holiday develops. Collison has been better than I expected when we signed him, but he's getting up there in age and while he complements Vic pretty well, is on the low end of starting points himself.

I think the market will help us in regards to PGs next summer. There's a lot of money, but also not a lot of starting spots open and a ton of good PGs out there. I could see us ending up with a Seth Curry/Napier type small deal for a steadier vet if Holiday isn't ready.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#516 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:41 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I think CoJo is more likely to be kept between him and Collison. CoJo’s flexibility in defending 2’s means we could play him next to an Oladipo and still develop a Holliday. Even if we chased a Kemba, I could still see CoJo come back due to his flexibility in lineups and defensive presence.

I'm not a fan of starting CoJo, but I could see this while Holiday develops. Collison has been better than I expected when we signed him, but he's getting up there in age and while he complements Vic pretty well, is on the low end of starting points himself.

I think the market will help us in regards to PGs next summer. There's a lot of money, but also not a lot of starting spots open and a ton of good PGs out there. I could see us ending up with a Seth Curry/Napier type small deal for a steadier vet if Holiday isn't ready.

As the backup or the starter?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#517 » by pacers33granger » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

As the backup or the starter?

Backup. Like I said, I don't even like CoJo as a starter, as he is plainly not that level. But I feel, if need be, we can wait out the market and end up with a KOQ-like signing of a vet PG to be either the 2nd/3rd guy. I cited those two as both were signed for below market this summer, no as specific targets.

And really, short of Kemba which is a longshot, we aren't signing a starting level PG next summer. There's few out there and we likely won't even get a meeting with them.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#518 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:19 pm

pacers33granger wrote: if Holiday isn't ready.

I'm not ready to assume that Holiday will be ahead of Sumner. if it means anything, Sumner is 9 months older than Holiday.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#519 » by pacers33granger » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote: if Holiday isn't ready.

I'm not ready to assume that Holiday will be ahead of Sumner. if it means anything, Sumner is 9 months older than Holiday.

Good point, though I'm not certain if Sumner will be used more as a PG or a combo guard. Could see the staff wanting him to learn from Tyreke and emulate some of his game versus being a traditional point.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#520 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:34 am

Agree that Sumner is being used more in the Dipo/Evans combo guard role. Might still be though that we end up with a combo type as the PG.

Return to Indiana Pacers