According to Shams Pacers will sign Trevor Booker

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: RE: Re: According to Shams Pacers will sign Trevor Booker 

Post#21 » by Wizop » Thu Mar 1, 2018 2:33 am

Miller4ever wrote:Should have specified for next season, when only part of his salary is guaranteed

nevermind.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: According to Shams Pacers will sign Trevor Booker 

Post#22 » by Topofthekey » Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:44 am

I'm of two minds about this.

On one hand, this definitely helps in climbing the standings and come time for the playoffs it's nice to have another productive vet off the bench.

On the other hand, this is mostly a "win now" move, which I think represents the wrong mindset to have. In the long run the team is much better off just playing Leaf if PF minutes are available. Sure, it might cost the team a few wins, but playing Leaf allows him to learn and show what he can do. Best case scenario, he develops into a useful rotational player next season, worst case scenario, he turns out to be awful, in which case it's still good, at least you'll know what to do with him
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#23 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 11:19 am

Nuntius wrote:Nice. Trevor Booker is a good rebounder and adds depth to the team. Welcome to the Pacers, Trevor :)

I agree this is a good move for a playoff bound team, they really had no one past Thad and Domas at PF, Leaf just is not NBA ready, It would be nice if Leaf could play SF but apparently he can't. Booker is a solid pro player who should be able to help most teams and could start for some.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#24 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 11:21 am

Topofthekey wrote:I'm of two minds about this.

On one hand, this definitely helps in climbing the standings and come time for the playoffs it's nice to have another productive vet off the bench.

On the other hand, this is mostly a "win now" move, which I think represents the wrong mindset to have. In the long run the team is much better off just playing Leaf if PF minutes are available. Sure, it might cost the team a few wins, but playing Leaf allows him to learn and show what he can do. Best case scenario, he develops into a useful rotational player next season, worst case scenario, he turns out to be awful, in which case it's still good, at least you'll know what to do with him

Leaf should be sent back to Ft Wayne to play as much as possible there, he's just not strong enough to play even at 5-6 min a game.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#25 » by Wizop » Thu Mar 1, 2018 1:00 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Leaf should be sent back to Ft Wayne to play as much as possible there, he's just not strong enough to play even at 5-6 min a game.

Booker does make it easier to send Leaf north. Ike there now.

Sent from my phone.
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#26 » by pizza guy » Thu Mar 1, 2018 5:43 pm

Early in the season, I would've agreed with you. At this point though, the team is locked in and we're in the stretch run. It's about winning right now, due to the surprising success we've had this year. If we were floating around the 9-10th seed and debating whether to try for the playoffs or not, I'd be with you. But we're in the middle of the pack right now, with a chance to steal the 4th seed and have homecourt advantage for the first round.

Now, I don't think we're ready to contend yet, of course. But electing to develop the young guys at this point in the season is a clear sign that we don't value winning, and sends the wrong message to the guys who have worked their tails off all year. If TJ wants minutes at this point, he's got to earn them. And if he can't get them this season, he's gotta earn them in the summer, hitting the weight room and putting in the work. The team has turned out too good to just give out free minutes for developing rookies.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#27 » by SmashMouthRod » Thu Mar 1, 2018 10:31 pm

I like Booker as a hustle player. He was very good in Utah and Brooklyn. He should fit right in with the grit and grind second unit of Lance, Sabonis and GR3.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#28 » by Topofthekey » Fri Mar 2, 2018 11:43 am

pizza guy wrote:

Early in the season, I would've agreed with you. At this point though, the team is locked in and we're in the stretch run. It's about winning right now, due to the surprising success we've had this year. If we were floating around the 9-10th seed and debating whether to try for the playoffs or not, I'd be with you. But we're in the middle of the pack right now, with a chance to steal the 4th seed and have homecourt advantage for the first round.

Now, I don't think we're ready to contend yet, of course. But electing to develop the young guys at this point in the season is a clear sign that we don't value winning, and sends the wrong message to the guys who have worked their tails off all year. If TJ wants minutes at this point, he's got to earn them. And if he can't get them this season, he's gotta earn them in the summer, hitting the weight room and putting in the work. The team has turned out too good to just give out free minutes for developing rookies.

Good points. Sometimes developing a team is as much about as developing the winning mentality as developing talent. Maybe I overvalued Leaf a little, I felt that he's good for about 10 minutes a game
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#29 » by Moooose » Fri Mar 2, 2018 1:39 pm

Early this season, I was hoping the Pacers would somehow get that "bruiser" we need. Players in the mold of Booker, Kyle O'Quinn, etc.

The PF spot gets soft at times notably against bigger, stronger opponents. And sometimes, if not most of the time, we are lacking good interior presence both on offense and defense. Though Myles blocks shots, he is not a banger who can displace opponents. IMO, Al Jefferson is the one fulfilling this role up front (more on offense though) but he's too slow now and just uses his basketball smarts to get away from younger players. This is where Booker fits best, IMO. And his character should fit well with the guys.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#30 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Mar 2, 2018 2:16 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:

Or quick enough. I think I may be able to drive by him.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 467

Post#31 » by granger05 » Fri Mar 2, 2018 5:34 pm

I think I saw this go by the wiretap briefly and went back looking for it. I like Booker. He's a lunchpail kind of guy and every team needs those. The locker room love seems pretty important on this roster and it seems like he'll fit into that well. It does seem like an odd fit for need and playing time. Reading this article, I'd suspect that Booker makes his moves based on what he thinks will help him get paid. You could take that either way I guess, but I'm OK with it. I'm guessing he had options and he picked the Pacers so he must feel this positions him well for a future contract. Whether that's with us or not, I guess we'll find out later.

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/trevor-booker-hopes-become-billionaire-entrepreneurship/
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#32 » by 8305 » Sat Mar 3, 2018 11:47 am

Signing makes a lot of sense. He’s really a better compliment to Turner than Thad Young. Come next season I could see bringing Booker back, letting Thad walk and creating minutes for Leaf (who I still like). I liked what I saw of Leaf in his 4 minutes on the floor last night.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#33 » by Wizop » Sat Mar 3, 2018 1:48 pm

8305 wrote:Signing makes a lot of sense. He’s really a better compliment to Turner than Thad Young. Come next season I could see bringing Booker back, letting Thad walk and creating minutes for Leaf (who I still like). I liked what I saw of Leaf in his 4 minutes on the floor last night.
or hope Thad opts in or takes a small raise and we let Al Jefferson retire.

Sent from my phone.
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by 8305 » Sun Mar 4, 2018 1:41 am

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:Signing makes a lot of sense. He’s really a better compliment to Turner than Thad Young. Come next season I could see bringing Booker back, letting Thad walk and creating minutes for Leaf (who I still like). I liked what I saw of Leaf in his 4 minutes on the floor last night.
or hope Thad opts in or takes a small raise and we let Al Jefferson retire.

Sent from my phone.

Can’t imagine Thad would opt in. At his age if you can add years even if it doesn’t involve a salary increase you do that every time. Now in a buyers market where most everyone else with cap space is a bottom feeder Pacers might be pretty well positioned to get Thad resigned at a reasonable number.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#35 » by boomershadow » Sun Mar 4, 2018 4:48 pm

Booker will wear jersey #20 and is expected to be in uniform with the Pacers when they face the Milwaukee Bucks at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Monday.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacers-sign-trevor-booker
Wizop
RealGM

Post#36 » by Wizop » Sun Mar 4, 2018 4:56 pm

boomershadow wrote:
Booker will wear jersey #20 and is expected to be in uniform with the Pacers when they face the Milwaukee Bucks at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Monday.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacers-sign-trevor-booker
Saturday signing expected as roster spot opened at end of 10 day. wonder if he'll be in Washington tonight. he could be moving.

Sent from my phone.
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by 8305 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:51 am

I know it was the Hawks but I really liked what I saw from Booker last night. He knocked down a couple threes and you could see that toughness around the basket. I’d say game on between him and Thad Young to see which one the Pacers bring back next year.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#38 » by Wizop » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:05 pm

8305 wrote:I know it was the Hawks but I really liked what I saw from Booker last night. He knocked down a couple threes and you could see that toughness around the basket. I’d say game on between him and Thad Young to see which one the Pacers bring back next year.
why not both?

Sent from my phone.
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by 8305 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:54 am

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:I know it was the Hawks but I really liked what I saw from Booker last night. He knocked down a couple threes and you could see that toughness around the basket. I’d say game on between him and Thad Young to see which one the Pacers bring back next year.
why not both?

Sent from my phone.

If we brought back both they may as well trade Leaf. He would never get any run. I still like Leaf.
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: According to Shams Pacers will sign Trevor Booker 

Post#40 » by Wizop » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:00 am

8305 wrote:
If we brought back both they may as well trade Leaf. He would never get any run. I still like Leaf.

I like Leaf too but he needs to earn his minutes.

Sent from my phone.

Return to Indiana Pacers