Jefferson Helping Turn Turner into a Post Threat

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,304

Jefferson Helping Turn Turner into a Post Threat 

Post#1 » by boomershadow » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:30 pm

"I think he got tired of that. I was in his ear telling him, 'Man, you should be upset. You should be mad when teams feel they can switch and put guards on you and you're taking fadeaways in the post. You're making it harder than it really is. You've got to do something about it.'"

"Myles' biggest thing was to slow down," Jefferson said. "I told him to be patient, gave him a couple of moves he can use.

"That's going to make his job a lot easier, and my job a lot easier helping him, if he'll catch the ball and take his time and go up and make his move. I mean they're not even double-teaming him. To me that's disrespect, I'm sorry. I think he realizes that."

Mark Montieth
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/jefferson-helping-turn-turner-post-threat

It also talks about Myles being a bit hesitant to work on that aspect of his game. That's a bit disappointing to me because Jefferson could be such a valuable resource in that area of the game. An area of the game that frankly isn't as taught of emphasized as it used to be.

Maybe he used to think that area of his game wasn't really his forte, being more of a face-up player than a post-up player. Or perhaps that it would take away from time used to develop other skills he's been working on. A young Big in the NBA has a lot to learn after all.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Re: Jefferson Helping Turn Turner into a Post Threat 

Post#2 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:14 am

Nice article, and maybe that's why we've kept Al Jeff around even if a lot of us has been predicting his departure since forever, LOL.

boomershadow wrote:Maybe he used to think that area of his game wasn't really his forte, being more of a face-up player than a post-up player.

That's kind of the sense I get. He's a modern-style big, who prefers to face up than post up. Maybe he thought he didn't have anything to learn from Al Jeff, a player from another era. I mean, we fans call Al a dinosaur, maybe young players think the same thing.

But Al is perfectly right. Having the option to go to the post will only help Turner, making him an even more potent threat. I also liked what Al said about being patient, and taking the best option depending on the defense.

Anyway, it's evident that Turner's play has changed of late, apparently due to Al's mentoring. Good job both of them 8-)
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#3 » by Wizop » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:00 am

wonder if Al could come back next year as a coach?

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#4 » by Moooose » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:32 am

Wizop wrote:wonder if Al could come back next year as a coach?

Sent from my phone.

Is Popeye our big man coach? We surely can use an upgrade.

Myles' style of play has been interesting all season long. His interior presence took a hit for whatever reasons, and Domas is the one doing work in the paint. Though it was evident that we are still not as tough in the paint, and so we signed Booker.

So far, I think Myles need to bulk up this summer. We don't need him to run as much as we have players who can do just that, including Thad.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: RE: Re: Jefferson Helping Turn Turner into a Post Threat 

Post#5 » by Wizop » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:09 pm

Moooose wrote:
Wizop wrote:wonder if Al could come back next year as a coach?.

Is Popeye our big man coach?

I think so.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers