In Praise of Victor Oladipo

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 469

In Praise of Victor Oladipo 

Post#1 » by granger05 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:03 pm

Well, that was a rough one. I watched this in a restaurant/sports-bar with no sound because in Colorado no one cares about this game. I was gratified to log in last night and see all the goaltending discussion because every replay they showed afterwards looked to me like it hit the backboard first, but without any commentary it didn't seem like they were dwelling on it during the broadcast. I didn't want to bitch about that though.

Even when they play bad, this is a fun team to root for. The Cavs have looked pretty lousy. We've lost to LeBron in the playoffs plenty of times and in the past when we got down in a game or behind in the series, the outcome felt pretty inevitable and it felt like the players knew it. This group just always grinds back and "grinds" is the right word because it's not a pretty brand of basketball right now, but they've been there with a chance to win in all of these losses.

Victor had a terrible game and I felt like he was a bit passive in the last few possessions. I wanted him to shoot himself out of it to prove he could. I was gratified that he took the ball to the basket on that last play. That's the play you want your star player to make in the playoffs. It didn't work out and that ball may have gone careening off the backboard even without LeBron's help, but to me it shows the right mentality.

I don't think this series is over and I'd love it if Oladipo carried us these last two games. However, it's been a breakout season for him and if it does end in flames I don't think that's a bad thing given the team we have. I don't think he's the type to rest on his laurels and get complacent, but a series like this could spark another leap in his development and we need that. The Cavs have been scheming to take him out of the games which has helped the other Pacers get theirs. 2-15 is awful, but 12 boards, 4 assists and 9 FT attempts shows that he still does positive things when his shot isn't falling. At the time of the Paul George trade (sorry, Victor Oladipo trade), I felt like getting a guy who played at IU was kind of a cynical move to make sure we kept fans coming to the games. I was wrong. I'm really happy to have this guy as the face of our team.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: In Praise of Victor Oladipo 

Post#2 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:19 pm

This series would be over and the Pacers would have won if not for the Crooked Refs.
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#3 » by pizza guy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Oladipo is the clear-cut Most Improved Player this year. He made his first All Star team this year. He led a team most people predicted to win about 32 games to a 5th seed and 48 wins. By all accounts, it's been a tremendous season for him.

This series has been brutal for the most part. That's obviously bad in the short term, but will pay huge dividends in the long term. Vic is going to go right back to the drawing board and work to improve his game. Sabonis and Myles should also be right there beside him putting in work like they've never before dreamed. And it gives Pritchard an incredibly clear view of what he needs to do to improve this roster.

As completely deflating as last night's loss was, the silver lining here is that we're not staring at the last run before our star leaves town, like Cleveland is. We're not racing the clock against old veterans who might retire soon. And we're not even in any kind of financial bind where we're going to be forced into some sort of difficult decision like so many other teams. We're at the beginning of this era of Pacers basketball. We have a great salary cap situation, and we have young players who are going to continue to improve for the foreseeable future. And Vic is going to lead that charge of improving.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#4 » by winter_mute_13 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:40 pm

granger05 wrote: At the time of the Paul George trade (sorry, Victor Oladipo trade), I felt like getting a guy who played at IU was kind of a cynical move to make sure we kept fans coming to the games. I was wrong. I'm really happy to have this guy as the face of our team.

Hah, I had the same thought. But part of that also I think was that they figured Dipo could fill the "good scorer on a bad team" role. Of course it turned out he was capable of more than that.

I think Dipo will be fine. We have to remember that he's pretty new at this. This is just his 2nd playoffs, and the 1st as the team's star. It isn't ideal, but it's also understandable I think.

Some of the blame has to go to Nate and the other players too. Too often, Dipo was left alone to split the traps and try to make the pass or play. Nate has to figure out more counter moves to get him free, and the other players need to take better advantage of the opportunities. Outside of Bojan in game 3, there's hardly another player who has been impactful in this series.

I'm sorry to say this, but I think this is what getting exposed in the playoffs look like. Our defense has managed to keep games close (outside of game 1), but that won't cut it against LBJ. We need to find a way to unleash Dipo again, or else this series is done. Maybe we can grit out a Game 6 win with our defense, but no way can we win a Game 7 on the road, against LeBron, without a supernatural performance from Dipo or another player in game 7.

As for the future, well let's just say I'm now far more inclined towards another roster overhaul in the offseason.
JermaineOYea
Senior
And1: 1,177

Post#5 » by JermaineOYea » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:21 pm

granger05 wrote:Well, that was a rough one. I watched this in a restaurant/sports-bar with no sound because in Colorado no one cares about this game. I was gratified to log in last night and see all the goaltending discussion because every replay they showed afterwards looked to me like it hit the backboard first, but without any commentary it didn't seem like they were dwelling on it during the broadcast. I didn't want to bitch about that though.

Even when they play bad, this is a fun team to root for. The Cavs have looked pretty lousy. We've lost to LeBron in the playoffs plenty of times and in the past when we got down in a game or behind in the series, the outcome felt pretty inevitable and it felt like the players knew it. This group just always grinds back and "grinds" is the right word because it's not a pretty brand of basketball right now, but they've been there with a chance to win in all of these losses.

Victor had a terrible game and I felt like he was a bit passive in the last few possessions. I wanted him to shoot himself out of it to prove he could. I was gratified that he took the ball to the basket on that last play. That's the play you want your star player to make in the playoffs. It didn't work out and that ball may have gone careening off the backboard even without LeBron's help, but to me it shows the right mentality.

I don't think this series is over and I'd love it if Oladipo carried us these last two games. However, it's been a breakout season for him and if it does end in flames I don't think that's a bad thing given the team we have. I don't think he's the type to rest on his laurels and get complacent, but a series like this could spark another leap in his development and we need that. The Cavs have been scheming to take him out of the games which has helped the other Pacers get theirs. 2-15 is awful, but 12 boards, 4 assists and 9 FT attempts shows that he still does positive things when his shot isn't falling. At the time of the Paul George trade (sorry, Victor Oladipo trade), I felt like getting a guy who played at IU was kind of a cynical move to make sure we kept fans coming to the games. I was wrong. I'm really happy to have this guy as the face of our team.

Post more! This was a fantastic take and a very enjoyable read.

My thoughts exactly. He will continue to grow and work and work and WORK, no matter the outcome. Well said.
BAT 19.0
Milwaukee Bucks

C - W. Cauley-Stein/A. Len
F - P. Siakim/D. Bertans
F - TJ Warren/E. Turner
G - B. Ingram/L. Stephenson
G - K. Walker/DJ Augustin/Y. Ferrell
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#6 » by Vorda » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:23 am

Everything is great, Dipo had a great influence on this team all season, but he must starting to score his shots... I hope this is temporary crisis...
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#7 » by Tom White » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:16 pm

pizza guy wrote:Oladipo is the clear-cut Most Improved Player this year. He made his first All Star team this year. He led a team most people predicted to win about 32 games to a 5th seed and 48 wins. By all accounts, it's been a tremendous season for him.

This series has been brutal for the most part. That's obviously bad in the short term, but will pay huge dividends in the long term. Vic is going to go right back to the drawing board and work to improve his game. Sabonis and Myles should also be right there beside him putting in work like they've never before dreamed. And it gives Pritchard an incredibly clear view of what he needs to do to improve this roster.

As completely deflating as last night's loss was, the silver lining here is that we're not staring at the last run before our star leaves town, like Cleveland is. We're not racing the clock against old veterans who might retire soon. And we're not even in any kind of financial bind where we're going to be forced into some sort of difficult decision like so many other teams. We're at the beginning of this era of Pacers basketball. We have a great salary cap situation, and we have young players who are going to continue to improve for the foreseeable future. And Vic is going to lead that charge of improving.

Very well said, pizza guy.
granger05
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by granger05 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:04 pm

granger05 wrote:...I don't think he's the type to rest on his laurels and get complacent, but a series like this could spark another leap in his development and we need that...

Hey, THIS looks promising.

Mere minutes after losing to the Cavs, Oladipo texted “When do we start? I’m ready to take it to another level” to his trainer David Alexander.

From the trainer's instagram post linked to in that article:
dzandertrainingI can’t make this **** up!
Look at the time on this text, this dude probably hasn’t even showered yet after playing one of the biggest games of his young career and he’s already trying to get back to work!
You young athletes out there take notes... @vicoladipo I’m sending you the jet, we start tonight!
************************************************And Yes I had his name misspelled in my phone, it’s been that way from day one and left it like that

We're in good hands. Hopefully, he'll get his teammates on this train too. I'd really like Turner to work with a kinesiologist like he did during the draft process.
Freakyman
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#9 » by Freakyman » Sun May 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Mix about a player who doesn`t get enough credit fro what he did this season.

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#10 » by Tom White » Wed May 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Victor can now add one more accolade to his break-out season. He has been named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team.

Congrats to VO!
granger05
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by granger05 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:28 pm

I saw that. Nice thread bump. I've been on the lookout for the all-nba team announcement hoping Victor would get a 2nd team nod. This one caught me off guard, but it's a nice achievement as well. We really have a good one.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249965/Gobert-Davis-Oladipo-Holiday-Covington-On-2018-NBA-All-Defensive-Team
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by winter_mute_13 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:53 pm

I also think Oladipo will get 2nd team all-NBA, and MIP should be in the bag as well.
granger05
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by granger05 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:14 pm

Lana Del Rey wrote:
Read on Twitter

First: LeBron James, James Harden, Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard, Kevin Durant.

Second: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Russell Westbrook, Joel Embiid, LaMarcus Aldridge, DeMar DeRozan.

Third: Stephen Curry, Victor Oladipo, Karl-Anthony Towns, Jimmy Butler, Paul George.

From the general board. Leaked from Shams, but seems legit. A bit of a bummer to share a 3rd team spot with Paul George. Not sure why Lillard is on the 1st team.
granger05
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by granger05 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:27 pm

More official version:

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/05/24/2017-18-all-nba-teams-revealed-official-release

The All-NBA Third Team is made up of Minnesota Timberwolves forward/guard Jimmy Butler, Warriors guard Stephen Curry, Thunder forward Paul George, Indiana Pacers guard Victor Oladipo and Timberwolves center/forward Karl-Anthony Towns.

I do feel a bit bummed as there was some buzz he'd make the 2nd team, but at the beginning of the season I'd have never expected this. Congrats to Victor on getting some more praise from the league. Hopefully, he'll continue making strides for next season as well. He's still got room to grow.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by winter_mute_13 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:18 pm

3rd team all-NBA is still good.

The parallels with the 2012-13 season are kind of freaky. I know it's just coincidence, but let's have fun with it, hey? That season's team won 49 games, this year's team won 48. That year, PG won MIP, and was named 3rd team all-NBA and 2nd team all-Defense. This year, Dipo has been named 3rd team all-NBA and 1st team all-Defense, and is the favorite for MIP. Makes you go hmm :D
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#16 » by Miller4ever » Fri May 25, 2018 12:06 am

Remember when we traded a 27-year-old expiring All-NBA 3rd Teamer for a 25-year-old long-term All-NBA 3rd Teamer PLUS a 21-year-old big with tremendous upside?
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#17 » by Jake0890 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:27 am

Shoulda been above demar, but that doesn’t matter.

Fantastic achievement, can’t wait to see what he does next.

Return to Indiana Pacers