Pritchard and McMillan Postseason Press Conference

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Pritchard and McMillan Postseason Press Conference 

Post#1 » by boomershadow » Tue May 1, 2018 5:35 pm

After a successful season that saw Indiana win 48 games and take the defending Eastern Conference champion Cavaliers to seven games in the first round of the playoffs, Pacers President of Basketball Operations Kevin Pritchard and Head Coach Nate McMillan will speak with the media on Tuesday, May 1 at 11:00 AM at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/pritchard-and-mcmillan-hold-postseason-press-conference-tuesday

The full video can be viewed on that page. I don't know how to embed videos into this thread from either Facebook or the NBA.com page, but I do have the opening remarks from YouTube.

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: Pritchard and McMillan Postseason Press Conference 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Tue May 1, 2018 8:17 pm

good presser. sounds like we'll try to keep the team together.

Nate did say the Booker signing was in recognition of a need for rebounding but didn't say anything about bringing him back. they weren't asked about Ike or any of the Ants. they complemented Big Al for being a mentor and said he could be back.

I fell like step one is to see if Thad and CoJo opt in. if they do, there is a good chance the team options will be exercised to bring everyone back and rethink free agency in 2019 when lots of contracts expire.

he also said they'd like a stretch 4 and later said that TJ was a stretch 4 but needed to get stronger and that the need to get Turner, Damos, and Thad minutes limited his opportunities. he said this would be an important summer for TJ.

all he said about the draft is that they like versatile players who can defend multiple positions. wonder what that says about Sumner, Poythress, Moore, etc. as they all fit that mold.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#3 » by boomershadow » Sat May 5, 2018 8:57 pm

I went through this vid again. One thing I noted while watching is that Pritchard and McMillan really seem to enjoy being together. It's such a glaring contrast to how Bird's press conferences used to be.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#4 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:13 pm

In Zach Lowe's column about the Cavs, there were some quotes from Nate about how they defended the Cavs:

Love and Korver are second and third, respectively, on the team in postseason scoring. Cleveland piled up 125 points per 100 possessions against Toronto in 99 minutes with LeBron, Love and Korver on the floor, and outscored the Raptors by 41 points over that time, per NBA.com. Korver and Love are 50-of-117 combined from deep -- 43 percent -- in the playoffs.

"Those three together are just really, really good," says Nate McMillan, the Pacers coach who dealt with them for seven games in the first round. "There really isn't anything you can plan for. They just kind of play random basketball."

McMillan still tried. He rejiggered his entire defensive scheme to account for the Korver-Love ballet. He had his center, Myles Turner, defend JR Smith so that Indiana's quickest big man -- Thaddeus Young -- could chase Love. McMillan knew he was dropping Turner into unfamiliar waters.

"We decided we'd rather have Myles defend JR than have any kind of mismatch against the Love-Korver actions," McMillan says.

Dwane Casey, the Raptors coach, stuck with Jonas Valanciunas -- a traditional center -- on Love until Game 4 of Cleveland's sweep. He paid the price.

"You can't put a 5 on Love," McMillan says. "You just can't."

I think this puts into perspective both the desire for a "real stretch 4" as well as for versatile defenders. I guess we want to have a big man like Love who can score both from outside and inside, as well as more defenders like Thad to snuff out mismatches.

Maybe either Turner or Sabonis develops into that big who creates mismatches on offense (both are still incomplete IMO) but it's kind of telling that Nate feels he needs to hide Turner on a lesser threat.

Lots of things for Myles to work on this summer.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#5 » by boomershadow » Sun May 13, 2018 11:58 pm

I don't think I would put lots of blame on Myles for being unable to guard Kevin Love. They play Love at the 5 so often precisely because it's difficult for a center....almost any center, not just Myles....to guard him.

To me it just refutes the notion that Turner should play power forward.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#6 » by winter_mute_13 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 am

boomershadow wrote:I don't think I would put lots of blame on Myles for being unable to guard Kevin Love. They play Love at the 5 so often precisely because it's difficult for a center....almost any center, not just Myles....to guard him.

To me it just refutes the notion that Turner should play power forward.

Not blaming precisely... just pointing out that while Myles is stretchy on one end, he's not going to match up well against everyone at the other end, at least not currently.

And I agree, Myles shouldn't be defending PF's at all.

The other path open to Myles is to focus on offense, forcing opponents to match up to him instead of the other way around. I mean, Love can hardly defend anyone at all. Myles can, if nothing else, just hang around the paint to block shots.
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#7 » by pizza guy » Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:In Zach Lowe's column about the Cavs, there were some quotes from Nate about how they defended the Cavs:

Love and Korver are second and third, respectively, on the team in postseason scoring. Cleveland piled up 125 points per 100 possessions against Toronto in 99 minutes with LeBron, Love and Korver on the floor, and outscored the Raptors by 41 points over that time, per NBA.com. Korver and Love are 50-of-117 combined from deep -- 43 percent -- in the playoffs.

"Those three together are just really, really good," says Nate McMillan, the Pacers coach who dealt with them for seven games in the first round. "There really isn't anything you can plan for. They just kind of play random basketball."

McMillan still tried. He rejiggered his entire defensive scheme to account for the Korver-Love ballet. He had his center, Myles Turner, defend JR Smith so that Indiana's quickest big man -- Thaddeus Young -- could chase Love. McMillan knew he was dropping Turner into unfamiliar waters.

"We decided we'd rather have Myles defend JR than have any kind of mismatch against the Love-Korver actions," McMillan says.

Dwane Casey, the Raptors coach, stuck with Jonas Valanciunas -- a traditional center -- on Love until Game 4 of Cleveland's sweep. He paid the price.

"You can't put a 5 on Love," McMillan says. "You just can't."

I think this puts into perspective both the desire for a "real stretch 4" as well as for versatile defenders. I guess we want to have a big man like Love who can score both from outside and inside, as well as more defenders like Thad to snuff out mismatches.

Maybe either Turner or Sabonis develops into that big who creates mismatches on offense (both are still incomplete IMO) but it's kind of telling that Nate feels he needs to hide Turner on a lesser threat.

Lots of things for Myles to work on this summer.

I've been on the Aaron Gordon bandwagon for a while. I think his athleticism could translate into being a much better defender than he's shown so far once McMillan and Burke get him to put more focus on it. I think he's got huge upside that Orlando has not been able to extract properly.

But I also can see how not everyone agrees with that notion and won't want to put the big risk into a hefty contract for a guy that maybe doesn't improve.

So, who's the next option here? How is Julius Randle defensively? I have not watched him enough to know.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#8 » by Wizop » Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm

pizza guy wrote:So, who's the next option here? How is Julius Randle defensively? I have not watched him enough to know.

Leaf, Poythress, Uthoff, Ike, draftee ...
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers