Post#1 » by Jake0890 » Wed May 2, 2018 1:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Re: Cory Joseph Exercises Player Option, Will Return to Pacers Next Season 

Post#2 » by Tom White » Wed May 2, 2018 1:38 pm

Good news! I really liked seeing him get after it on the court. He made a bunch of very timely effort plays for the Pacers this year and we can all look forward to seeing him do those things again this coming season.

I also think that is a bargain price for the Pacers. Under $8M in this day of high player prices is pretty darn nice.

Nice start to the off-season. Wonder when Thad will announce his intentions?
AussiePacer
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#3 » by AussiePacer » Wed May 2, 2018 2:29 pm

Great news.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#4 » by Moooose » Wed May 2, 2018 3:29 pm

That was expected. Great to have him back.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#5 » by MUpacersSIC » Wed May 2, 2018 3:46 pm

Moooose wrote:That was expected. Great to have him back.

Expected? I’m surprised because he could get more on the market. Just think he really loves it here.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#6 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed May 2, 2018 4:03 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:
Moooose wrote:That was expected. Great to have him back.

Expected? I’m surprised because he could get more on the market. Just think he really loves it here.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I'm not sure he could get more on the market. There are not a lot of teams with cap space. So I think the very best Cory would have done would have been an MLE that comes in at just over 8 mil. So for relatively the same price he could stay in Indy. There is probably more teams with cap space in 2019 so a smart move by him.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#7 » by Vorda » Wed May 2, 2018 4:47 pm

Great, we have back up PG... now we need to find a starting PG... lets go for Rozier or Kemba!
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#8 » by 8305 » Wed May 2, 2018 5:18 pm

I think Corey Joseph had a good experience here, likes his role and would like to see how much higher the Pacers can go with him along for the ride. He's an excellent backup pg. In fact I don't see that much difference between he and Collison. At the same time the lack of overall cap space in the market this summer no doubt has something to do with his decision too.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#9 » by Topofthekey » Wed May 2, 2018 5:19 pm

Expected him to opt out to look for a long term deal, but this is fine too

He'll either be a solid backup PG for next year's playoff push, or he can be used as a valuable piece in a trade, it's good for the Pacers either way
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed May 2, 2018 5:43 pm

I for one am glad to have him back. He's a good player on both sides of the ball.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#11 » by Wizop » Wed May 2, 2018 5:50 pm

Vorda wrote:Great, we have back up PG... now we need to find a starting PG... lets go for Rozier or Kemba!

if we're dreaming, let's go for Klay Thompson and play him in the backcourt with Vic. realistically though I'd try to draft someone who can defend both guard spots and if possible the 3 as well. perhaps someone at the end of the bench can have a big summer.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#12 » by pizza guy » Wed May 2, 2018 7:16 pm

Wizop wrote:
Vorda wrote:Great, we have back up PG... now we need to find a starting PG... lets go for Rozier or Kemba!

if we're dreaming, let's go for Klay Thompson and play him in the backcourt with Vic. realistically though I'd try to draft someone who can defend both guard spots and if possible the 3 as well. perhaps someone at the end of the bench can have a big summer.

What's interesting to me is that we could potentially put DC in a trade for Kemba, and then next summer we'll have a bunch of money coming off the books and would be able to sign a max guy like Klay before we finalize an extension for Kemba because we'll have his Bird Rights and would be able to go over the cap to retain him.

Kemba / CoJo
Victor / Lance
Klay / Bogey
Sabonis / Thad? Leaf?
Myles / Ike?
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#13 » by Vorda » Wed May 2, 2018 7:42 pm

Wizop wrote:

Rozier is not a dream.. he hasnt place in Boston starting five... Indy can offer him to be key player with Vic... and his contract expires next year... for Boston is better to make a trade, because they can lose him next year...
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#14 » by winter_mute_13 » Wed May 2, 2018 8:51 pm

What's interesting is the timing. CoJo pretty much chose to return as soon as practicable.

His option deadline is actually sometime in June ("Earlier of two days before 2018 NBA Draft or two days after NBA Finals"). Normally, you want to postpone the decision for as long as possible, for example, maybe a key free agent gets injured in the playoffs and so a market develops. But Cory chose to opt in at practically the earliest chance. The only other player I think has opted in for next season is Wes Matthews, who's payed a lot more.

So I think this wasn't purely a financial decision. Maybe Cory really meant it when he said he wanted to return. That seems like a good thing to me.

Btw this also means Cory can be traded now, but hopefully the FO isn't planning that after this show of faith.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizop » Thu May 3, 2018 12:04 am

otoh, Matthews may have opted in to make him tradeable.

Sent from my phone.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#16 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu May 3, 2018 1:21 pm

Vorda wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Rozier is not a dream.. he hasnt place in Boston starting five... Indy can offer him to be key player with Vic... and his contract expires next year... for Boston is better to make a trade, because they can lose him next year...

Trading for Kemba and Rozier are scary propositions because they only have 1 year left on their deal so they could essential walk. You've given up some good pieces for a one year rental. We cannot afford to be in that business. Rozier is a restricted free agent, but lord knows what he will get paid. I'm also quite skeptical of players leaving Stevens system. Look what happened to Crowder, Avery Bradley, and IT this year. It is like getting a player that played well for the Spurs. System has something to do with it. I like Rozier and I think he'd do well here. Just not sure at what price.
AussiePacer
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#17 » by AussiePacer » Thu May 3, 2018 2:25 pm

Wizop wrote:

Still hoping it can be GR3?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#18 » by Wizop » Thu May 3, 2018 2:48 pm

AussiePacer wrote:Still hoping it can be GR3?

not so much. given that he didn't get a sniff in the playoffs, I'm hoping the draft gives us his successor.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#19 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu May 3, 2018 3:38 pm

Wizop wrote:
AussiePacer wrote:Still hoping it can be GR3?

not so much. given that he didn't get a sniff in the playoffs, I'm hoping the draft gives us his successor.

I hope so too. I was getting ready to say picking that late in the draft is difficult to hit on. Which I still believe to be true. But, I did some research and it seems that pick #23 has been pretty solid the last 10 years. Lots of solid players in that group. If we come away with a comparable pick as these guys at #23 I'll be happy.

2017- OG Annunoby
2016- Ante Zizic
2015- Rondae Hollis- Jefferson
2014- Rodney Hood
2013- Solomon Hill
2012- John Jenkins
2011- Nikola Mirotic
2010- Trevor Booker
2009- Omri Casspi
2008- Kosta Koufos
Tippy
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#20 » by Tippy » Fri May 4, 2018 12:55 am

Very happy to have CoJo back. One of my favorite players on the team, just makes a lot of plays that don't show up on a stat sheet. Hope he keeps working on improving his 3pt shot.
I like CoJo as a long term piece. Can defend multiple positions, back up both guard spots and be fill-in/5th starter.

Return to Indiana Pacers