Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Re: Cory Joseph Exercises Player Option, Will Return to Pacers Next Season 

Post#21 » by Jake0890 » Fri May 4, 2018 4:07 am

Wizop wrote:
AussiePacer wrote:Still hoping it can be GR3?

not so much. given that he didn't get a sniff in the playoffs, I'm hoping the draft gives us his successor.

FWIW, I think given the fact that he hasn't shown much recently and didn't get much burn in the playoffs means we can sign him on the cheap. At the very least, give him a one year prove it deal. But honestly, locking up a guy that can play the wing with his level of athleticism on a cheap deal for a couple of years would not be the worst thing we've done in free agency recently, certainly.

I still believe in GRIII perhaps more than most, but I think he's the type of prototypical wing we're looking for.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#22 » by winter_mute_13 » Fri May 4, 2018 7:48 am

Jake0890 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
AussiePacer wrote:Still hoping it can be GR3?

not so much. given that he didn't get a sniff in the playoffs, I'm hoping the draft gives us his successor.

FWIW, I think given the fact that he hasn't shown much recently and didn't get much burn in the playoffs means we can sign him on the cheap. At the very least, give him a one year prove it deal. But honestly, locking up a guy that can play the wing with his level of athleticism on a cheap deal for a couple of years would not be the worst thing we've done in free agency recently, certainly.

I still believe in GRIII perhaps more than most, but I think he's the type of prototypical wing we're looking for.

+1

Can't say I really believe in GR3, but I do agree that we can and should be able to sign him on a reasonable deal. The entire league is stocking up on wings like him, so I think it's worthwhile if only for that reason.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#23 » by Wizop » Fri May 4, 2018 1:36 pm

Jake0890 wrote:FWIW, I think given the fact that he hasn't shown much recently and didn't get much burn in the playoffs means we can sign him on the cheap.

I'm assuming our first round draft pick will get a guaranteed contract and our second round pick will get a two way. Currently Moore and Sumner are on two ways so one has to go or get a regular deal. the questionable regular contracts not counting Thad are Joe, GR3, Booker, and Poythress. oh, I forgot Big Al. I was going to say at least one of those four had to go to make room for our pick, but I think Big Al is on a team option in which case my best idea would be to tell him we want him to join the coaching staff and we're declining the option.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#24 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri May 4, 2018 1:47 pm

Wizop wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:FWIW, I think given the fact that he hasn't shown much recently and didn't get much burn in the playoffs means we can sign him on the cheap.

I'm assuming our first round draft pick will get a guaranteed contract and our second round pick will get a two way. Currently Moore and Sumner are on two ways so one has to go or get a regular deal. the questionable regular contracts not counting Thad are Joe, GR3, Booker, and Poythress. oh, I forgot Big Al. I was going to say at least one of those four had to go to make room for our pick, but I think Big Al is on a team option in which case my best idea would be to tell him we want him to join the coaching staff and we're declining the option.

Agreed on Big Al. I think that is the direction they will go. It is not a team option technically. It is a small guarantee. His contract is very trade-able so I don't think he will be released until the last possible day.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#25 » by Wizop » Fri May 4, 2018 2:02 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:It is not a team option technically. It is a small guarantee. His contract is very trade-able so I don't think he will be released until the last possible day.

that's what I thought too until I saw him on a list of players with team options this week. perhaps the list was wrong but it is possible there is both a team option and a 4mm guarantee in which case the option would have to be exercised before a trade. certainly trading him, letting the new team eat the guarantee as he retires, and hiring him as a coach would work. I wouldn't be shocked though if we just brought him back for a final year with the understanding that he wouldn't normally dress unless another big were injured.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#26 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 5, 2018 7:50 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:It is not a team option technically. It is a small guarantee. His contract is very trade-able so I don't think he will be released until the last possible day.

that's what I thought too until I saw him on a list of players with team options this week. perhaps the list was wrong but it is possible there is both a team option and a 4mm guarantee in which case the option would have to be exercised before a trade. certainly trading him, letting the new team eat the guarantee as he retires, and hiring him as a coach would work. I wouldn't be shocked though if we just brought him back for a final year with the understanding that he wouldn't normally dress unless another big were injured.

It’s a non guarantee on Al Jefferson. If the list you saw was in the IndyStar, their newer Pacers and nba best writers there have so far shown that they dont quite know the CBA too well or the difference between non guaranteed contracts and team or player options.
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Cory Joseph Exercises Player Option, Will Return to Pacers Next Season 

Post#27 » by Wizop » Sat May 5, 2018 8:16 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:It’s a non guarantee on Al Jefferson. If the list you saw was in the IndyStar,

could well have been the Star. I assume they've been shuffling guys in from other ganette papers. they talk like they have years in the game, but they haven't impressed. Colts beat writers are better.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: RE: Re: Cory Joseph Exercises Player Option, Will Return to Pacers Next Season 

Post#28 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 7, 2018 12:50 am

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:It’s a non guarantee on Al Jefferson. If the list you saw was in the IndyStar,

could well have been the Star. I assume they've been shuffling guys in from other ganette papers. they talk like they have years in the game, but they haven't impressed. Colts beat writers are better.

Sent from my phone.

Zak Keefer especially is a great one. But, alas, I may be biased. I knew him growing up. :lol:
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Cory Joseph Exercises Player Option, Will Return to Pacers Next Season 

Post#29 » by Wizop » Mon May 7, 2018 12:56 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Zak Keefer especially is a great one. But, alas, I may be biased. I knew him growing up.

Zak does write well. I've sent him more than one email saying so.

Holder gets it. Doyle is a feature writer at best. They ran off a lot of pros.

Sent from my phone.

Return to Indiana Pacers