Pritchard on Grady & Big Joe.

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Pritchard on Grady & Big Joe. 

Post#1 » by Tom White » Tue May 8, 2018 2:48 pm

The guys are saying they will have Kevin Pritchard on their show today - Tuesday 5-8-18. They estimated it would be around 11:30AM when he is on.

Almost forgot. For those who don't know. The show is on 1070 The Fan. 1070AM radio.

They normally have podcasts of their shows available not long after each show.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Re: Pritchard on Grady & Big Joe. 

Post#2 » by Tom White » Tue May 8, 2018 4:02 pm

Dakich just started his show and said KP will be on with him as well.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#3 » by Wizop » Tue May 8, 2018 6:01 pm

Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#4 » by Wizop » Tue May 8, 2018 7:31 pm

Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by Tom White » Tue May 8, 2018 7:41 pm

Yeah, there were no big revealing moments on either show. The main thing he said was the team would NOT bring in any player who "would even remotely disrupt the team chemistry and trust".

He did say there was one player they considered at the trade deadline, but after talking to some of the current players it was decided not to pursue that player. Got the idea a couple current players did not speak highly of the potential target player, or the deal would have sent out a player the others did not want to lose. In either case, it was obvious KP is ready and willing to listen to his guys.

However, he said it all in a way that made it clear he was not turning over total veto power to the players. Just that in this case he went along with their recommendations.

Anyway, JMV will have KP on around 5:00 PM today, one more chance at hearing something new. Got my doubts about that though. Seems Pritchard plays things pretty close to the vest. Plus, he can't really talk about other players because it could be seen as tampering.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#6 » by winter_mute_13 » Tue May 8, 2018 9:28 pm

Tom White wrote:He did say there was one player they considered at the trade deadline, but after talking to some of the current players it was decided not to pursue that player. Got the idea a couple current players did not speak highly of the potential target player, or the deal would have sent out a player the others did not want to lose. In either case, it was obvious KP is ready and willing to listen to his guys.

Specifically he said it was Victor, and the way he said it suggests it was a former teammate, so probably someone from the Magic or Thunder. I'm going to take a wild stab and guess that it is Elfrid Payton, who Dipo is actually pretty friendly with, but their games pretty clearly didn't mesh in Orlando. Payton did get traded, going to Phoenix for CHA's 2nd round pick, so it's conceivable that we were in the bidding too.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by Tom White » Tue May 8, 2018 10:07 pm

OK. Just finished listening to JMV's interview with KP. Let me put it this way. If I were to do a recap of this interview, it would easily take up two pages....maybe more.

IF you only listen to one podcast from the three interviews Pritchard did on 1070 The Fan today, make it the one he did with JMV. Much more informative and entertaining. Maybe it was because it was the last one of the day, but I personally think it was because JMV did the best job. He put the questions in front of KP like carrots (not in a bad or "leading" way), then got out of the way and let Pritchard run with it. And Pritchard did indeed run. Very enjoyable and informative and well worth your time to listen to.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by Tom White » Tue May 8, 2018 11:21 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:
Specifically he said it was Victor, and the way he said it suggests it was a former teammate, so probably someone from the Magic or Thunder. I'm going to take a wild stab and guess that it is Elfrid Payton, who Dipo is actually pretty friendly with, but their games pretty clearly didn't mesh in Orlando. Payton did get traded, going to Phoenix for CHA's 2nd round pick, so it's conceivable that we were in the bidding too.

I can see how you connected the dots, but I can't see why the Pacers would go after Payton when they already have Collison and Joseph. The more obvious need was for depth at the three. I'll add that Pritchard has talked about adding more shooting to the team and I don't know that Payton fits what he is looking for.

While I'm at it, KP mentioned a LOT of the Pacer players in his interviews today. He even talked about how hard Leaf has been working, and his hope for Leaf going forward. However, GR3 and Joe Young were never mentioned. Am I reading too much into this?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#9 » by Wizop » Wed May 9, 2018 2:08 pm

Tom White wrote:However, GR3 and Joe Young were never mentioned. Am I reading too much into this?

probably, but not very much too much. I'd say both are on the bubble. Booker, Poythress and Moore as well. we have two draft picks and a full 17 man roster. two must go if we keep and sign both picks. neither GR3 (expired) or Joe (team option) or Booker (expired) have guarantees so they are easy to drop.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#10 » by Pacercoltboiler » Wed May 9, 2018 2:34 pm

I could listen to Grady read a phone book. Just Sayin, guy has the best voice in sports radio. Grady and Big Joe is my favorite AM show. I'm not sure how anyone can listen to Bomani Jones, ouch. Guy sounds like a spastic Kermit the Frog.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by Tom White » Wed May 9, 2018 4:25 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:However, GR3 and Joe Young were never mentioned. Am I reading too much into this?

probably, but not very much too much. I'd say both are on the bubble. Booker, Poythress and Moore as well. we have two draft picks and a full 17 man roster. two must go if we keep and sign both picks. neither GR3 (expired) or Joe (team option) or Booker (expired) have guarantees so they are easy to drop.

I like what Booker brought to the team this year. The thing is, how much money will he command? Before being made available for the Pacers to claim this year, he was scheduled to make about $10M. Will he ask for that much? Close? I really have no idea.

I think Polythress has a year left on his deal. Is that correct? He's cheap enough to either stash in the G league OR be useful to match salaries in a trade. Always handy to have some smaller salaries around.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by Tom White » Wed May 9, 2018 4:32 pm

Pacercoltboiler wrote:I could listen to Grady read a phone book. Just Sayin, guy has the best voice in sports radio. Grady and Big Joe is my favorite AM show.

He does have a good voice. Not James Earl Jones or Sam Elliott good mind you, but good. They are a fun listen in the morning. Glad that duo stayed on the air together.

I'm not sure how anyone can listen to Bomani Jones, ouch. Guy sounds like a spastic Kermit the Frog.

It has gotten to the point that you could convince me being "spastic" is a requirement for getting on TV sports. ESPN and FS1 are both guilty of that. Some of those guys make even an idiot like Vitale look like he is on sedatives.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#13 » by Wizop » Wed May 9, 2018 5:25 pm

Tom White wrote:I think Poythress has a year left on his deal. Is that correct? He's cheap enough to either stash in the G league OR be useful to match salaries in a trade. Always handy to have some smaller salaries around.

basketballreference says Poythress has one year and Ike has two.

Sumner and Moore are on two-ways. I believe Sumner signed a two-year two-way. I don't remember reading anything about Moore.

Our first round pick will get a guaranteed standard contract and will require a roster spot unless he plays in Europe. If our 2nd gets a regular contract as Ike did last year, we'll need a second spot. if he gets a 2-way as Sumner did, we'll either need to drop one of the present two-ways perhaps signing him to the Ants thus needing only one roster spot, or elevate him to the main roster which would require two.

I'd say GRob, JoeY, Booker, and Al are the questions assuming Thad returns.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,295

Post#14 » by boomershadow » Wed May 9, 2018 6:27 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:
Tom White wrote:He did say there was one player they considered at the trade deadline, but after talking to some of the current players it was decided not to pursue that player. Got the idea a couple current players did not speak highly of the potential target player, or the deal would have sent out a player the others did not want to lose. In either case, it was obvious KP is ready and willing to listen to his guys.

My guess might be Fournier. He can shoot, and we needed depth at the 3. Payton is a possibility, but I don't think we really needed another point guard this season for any reason.

Return to Indiana Pacers