Potential Trade Targets to Pursue this Offseason

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Re: Potential Trade Targets to Pursue this Offseason 

Post#21 » by pizza guy » Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 pm

I think Otto Porter would be a great fit here. The contract does give me pause though. The last year is a player option, but unless he really raises his level of play to the next level, there's no way he'd be able to opt out and get more than the $28mil due in that last year.

That said, DC+Al+TJ for Porter works. That would be such a big cap savings for Washington, I'd like to see the first round picks swapped as well, moving us up 8 spots to 15th.

Ultimately, it's a big gamble that I'm not really confident in enough to do it. He'd be a great fit, but that contract would really strap our cap going forward - all for the chance that he could break out here with a bigger role. But if never does, then he'd be wildly overpaid and would limit our options to find a true star to push us forward. If we're able to take another step forward through the next year and find ourselves at a point where a guy like Otto could put us in the Finals, then go all-in. But I don't see that happening.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#22 » by Wizop » Thu May 10, 2018 1:47 pm

I'm reluctant to trade for anyone who makes more than Victor - or to sign any free agent for more than Victor. okay, LeBron. maybe Durant. anyone short of a first team all star getting more than Victor could be a possible source of friction.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#23 » by Tom White » Thu May 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Wizop wrote:I'm reluctant to trade for anyone who makes more than Victor - or to sign any free agent for more than Victor. okay, LeBron. maybe Durant. anyone short of a first team all star getting more than Victor could be a possible source of friction.

I agree with this so much that it would take a whole day to put it to words.

We keep seeing people want to bring in players that are basically second tier, but signed during what I call the "cap fever" period and to me it makes no sense. Why should we take on another team's financial mistake?

The Pacers have been doing a good job of finding talent at very good prices. They should continue that course. It has and will pay off.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,720

Post#24 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu May 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:I'm reluctant to trade for anyone who makes more than Victor - or to sign any free agent for more than Victor. okay, LeBron. maybe Durant. anyone short of a first team all star getting more than Victor could be a possible source of friction.

We keep seeing people want to bring in players that are basically second tier, but signed during what I call the "cap fever" period and to me it makes no sense. Why should we take on another team's financial mistake?

The Pacers have been doing a good job of finding talent at very good prices. They should continue that course. It has and will pay off.

I agree and disagree with you both at the same time. I whole heartedly 100% agree about no bad contracts. Don't care if we get the 26th pick or whatever back with it. Not interested. However, I would be very reluctant to just flat out say no one can make more than Victor. Victor significantly outplayed his contract this year. Which is great news for the Blue and Gold. But, it cannot be the barometer. Remember he signed that contract as a 2nd/3rd fiddle in OKC. On the open market or if there was arbitration in the NBA Victor would certainly garner more than the 21 million he is due the next 3 years.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#25 » by Wizop » Thu May 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:I agree and disagree with you both at the same time. I whole heartedly 100% agree about no bad contracts. Don't care if we get the 26th pick or whatever back with it. Not interested.

agreed, but I'd take on salary for the 6th pick and maybe even the 16th. not the 26th though.

Pacers_Freak wrote:On the open market or if there was arbitration in the NBA Victor would certainly garner more than the 21 million he is due the next 3 years.

not my point. I'm not saying Vic isn't due a raise so no one else not quite as good as he his could deserve more. I'm saying friction could develop if our best player is not our highest paid player so I don't want to pay anyone more than Victor unless he is so good that he has a right to challenge Victor for team leadership.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by Tom White » Thu May 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:I agree and disagree with you both at the same time.

So we can list your vote as "undecided"? :lol:

I do understand what you are saying. It is just that giving out $25M-$30M and above contracts to guys like Porter is why (again, just my opinion) teams get into financial straits cap-wise. Then, when it is time to do the next contracts for some of their other players, they are in a big problem. Think of the teams we've seen mentioned as being in cap hell. They aren't there because they have collected the most talented roster in the league. They are there because they have handed out bad contracts. Paying good players as if they were great players.

I'll admit to a bit of bias when it comes to Oladipo, but I've also watched him play for a long time and knew he had this kind of talent in him. I remember watching him at IU and saying to friends "When is the last time you saw a guy do what he just did?" Answers were hard to come by without reaching into the stratosphere of rare talents. I can't say that about most of the guys mentioned as possible targets. If I could say that about them, those players would likely not be available.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#27 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu May 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:I agree and disagree with you both at the same time. I whole heartedly 100% agree about no bad contracts. Don't care if we get the 26th pick or whatever back with it. Not interested.

agreed, but I'd take on salary for the 6th pick and maybe even the 16th. not the 26th though.

Pacers_Freak wrote:On the open market or if there was arbitration in the NBA Victor would certainly garner more than the 21 million he is due the next 3 years.

not my point. I'm not saying Vic isn't due a raise so no one else not quite as good as he his could deserve more. I'm saying friction could develop if our best player is not our highest paid player so I don't want to pay anyone more than Victor unless he is so good that he has a right to challenge Victor for team leadership.

I agree too. But we all know someone is not dumping a lottery pick to rid themselves of salary.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#28 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu May 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Tom White wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:I agree and disagree with you both at the same time.

So we can list your vote as "undecided"? :lol:

I do understand what you are saying. It is just that giving out $25M-$30M and above contracts to guys like Porter is why (again, just my opinion) teams get into financial straits cap-wise. Then, when it is time to do the next contracts for some of their other players, they are in a big problem. Think of the teams we've seen mentioned as being in cap hell. They aren't there because they have collected the most talented roster in the league. They are there because they have handed out bad contracts. Paying good players as if they were great players.

I'll admit to a bit of bias when it comes to Oladipo, but I've also watched him play for a long time and knew he had this kind of talent in him. I remember watching him at IU and saying to friends "When is the last time you saw a guy do what he just did?" Answers were hard to come by without reaching into the stratosphere of rare talents. I can't say that about most of the guys mentioned as possible targets. If I could say that about them, those players would likely not be available.

I agree 100%. Porter is overpaid and I agree he shouldn't make more than Victor. I was just making the point that drawing a hard line on Victor has to be the highest paid player is a mistake. Mostly because he is underpaid (in NBA terms). To me Porter is a bad contract so no thanks.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#29 » by Wizop » Thu May 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:But we all know someone is not dumping a lottery pick to rid themselves of salary.

there are lottery picks and lottery picks. I agree 100% that no one is moving down from a pick high enough to get a tier one player. I don't know where to draw that line but it is somewhere between 5 and maybe 10. is 23 still in the second tier or is it a third tier pick? if it's in the third, where does the second tier end? we could probably move up within the same tier if our target player isn't coveted by our trading partner. even moving to 17 or so could make a difference.

the opposite approach of taking on a player to move down will also be on the table.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#30 » by Wizop » Thu May 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:To me Porter is a bad contract so no thanks.

but there are Wizards I'd take. Beal also has a big contract but I like him more than Porter. I can see Wall wanting Beal moved after the "we all eat" comment. I can also see them moving Oubre before they have to pay him market value.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#31 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu May 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Wizop wrote:

but there are Wizards I'd take. Beal also has a big contract but I like him more than Porter. I can see Wall wanting Beal moved after the "we all eat" comment. I can also see them moving Oubre before they have to pay him market value.

Right. I like Beal. He makes more than Vic. That was my point about not getting caught up on guys making more than Vic.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by Tom White » Thu May 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Wizop wrote:

Between the "we all eat" comment, and Wall's supposed run in with Gortat, I wonder when the Wizards will figure out the player they need to get rid of is.....Wall. He is talented, but he always seems like a bad attitude looking for an excuse to happen.

Oubre is interesting, but he seems to be so inconsistent in his effort or focus. Still young. Maybe he will grow out of that?
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#33 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu May 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Between the "we all eat" comment, and Wall's supposed run in with Gortat, I wonder when the Wizards will figure out the player they need to get rid of is.....Wall. He is talented, but he always seems like a bad attitude looking for an excuse to happen.

Oubre is interesting, but he seems to be so inconsistent in his effort or focus. Still young. Maybe he will grow out of that?

Wall will be the toughest to move. That contract is an albatross.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#34 » by boomershadow » Thu May 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Tom White wrote:

I have no problem taking on another team's excess salary in exchange for draft picks. Really, I'd much rather see a trade that involves a first rounder coming in than one going out. If you're talking about a scenario targeting an "overpaid decent but not star level" player and giving up assets for him....then you're definitely right, no way.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by Tom White » Thu May 10, 2018 8:02 pm

boomershadow wrote:
I have no problem taking on another team's excess salary in exchange for draft picks. Really, I'd much rather see a trade that involves a first rounder coming in than one going out.

Agree with the bolded part all day long.

If you're talking about a scenario targeting an "overpaid decent but not star level" player and giving up assets for him....then you're definitely right, no way.

Yes. That is my main gripe. In this thread, and other threads, there are suggestions to give up (for example) a starter + another player + 1st round pick for a player who isn't even a starter for his current team. It just makes no sense to me.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#36 » by 8305 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:12 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:I do like Otto Porter even with his huge salary. I think Washington would first look to get out of Ian Mahinmi. We had a good experience with Ian and if they'd give the #15 pick I'd be ok with taking him. His contract is one of those that declines, $15.9 million in 2018-19 and $15.4 in 2019-20. A lot of money for what he has been giving and he'd likely play 2nd or 3rd string center behind Myles and Domas.

If they can't move Ian they might look to move Porter and promote Oubre to the starting SF. His Contract is huge, $26, 27 and $28 million in his final player option year. I really think they over paid him. If he was here he might earn that paycheck or he might be an over paid role player. IDK?

Less risk in taking on Ian for Jefferson and getting a pick. Would Washington do that? Again IDK. 15 is a pretty high pick to dump a contract.

Pacers trade Jefferson, Leaf, pick 23
Wizards trade Mahamni, pick 15, Satoranski
Is that close?
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#37 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:26 am

8305 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:I do like Otto Porter even with his huge salary. I think Washington would first look to get out of Ian Mahinmi. We had a good experience with Ian and if they'd give the #15 pick I'd be ok with taking him. His contract is one of those that declines, $15.9 million in 2018-19 and $15.4 in 2019-20. A lot of money for what he has been giving and he'd likely play 2nd or 3rd string center behind Myles and Domas.

If they can't move Ian they might look to move Porter and promote Oubre to the starting SF. His Contract is huge, $26, 27 and $28 million in his final player option year. I really think they over paid him. If he was here he might earn that paycheck or he might be an over paid role player. IDK?

Less risk in taking on Ian for Jefferson and getting a pick. Would Washington do that? Again IDK. 15 is a pretty high pick to dump a contract.

Pacers trade Jefferson, Leaf, pick 23
Wizards trade Mahamni, pick 15, Satoranski
Is that close?

That's not bad I wouldn't want to give the 23rd and Leaf for Mahimni, Satoranski and the 15th. Considering the amount of tax they are looking at if they do nothing. Jefferson and Leaf maybe for that package or Jefferson and the pick swap but not both. Although if a guy I want bad enough is there at 15 I might do it.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#38 » by Vorda » Fri May 11, 2018 6:28 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Right. I like Beal. He makes more than Vic. That was my point about not getting caught up on guys making more than Vic.

Why... I dont see the problem if we take player who makes more than Vic if it is player who can improve our team... this PO showed that Vic isnt enough if we want to become contender... so if we have to overpayed somebody we should do it if that make us a contender...
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#39 » by boomershadow » Fri May 11, 2018 7:47 am

Ryan Anderson is a guy I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see moved this off-season if Daryl Money is planning to go for Lebron James. They know they'll have to attach a first rounder to move that kind of salary.

I don't love his contract, but he can shoot the ball.
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#40 » by pizza guy » Fri May 11, 2018 11:59 am

Vorda wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Why... I dont see the problem if we take player who makes more than Vic if it is player who can improve our team... this PO showed that Vic isnt enough if we want to become contender... so if we have to overpayed somebody we should do it if that make us a contender...

I'm with you on this. Vic knows that he outperformed that contract, but he also signed it. If we want to get significantly better, it's going to be nearly impossible to find another player who will come in at the same (or lower) salary, but give us the star-level production we'll need. Can't allow Vic's contract to be some glass ceiling because you're afraid to hurt his feelings. Just make it clear to whoever comes in that this is Vic's team and let the guys play.

FWIW, getting a guy like Kemba is one of my top wishes this off-season. He makes $12mil next year - GREAT value. But after that, he'll need a new contract and if he has an All Star year, it'll be tough to keep that contract below Vic's $21mil. If we're going to go after Aaron Gordon, we'll have to make an offer at least equal to, and probably a little more than what Vic gets. To significantly improve this team, we'll need to go after guys who command at least what Vic makes. It's just a matter of bringing these guys into Pritchard's office and explaining that the locker room isn't run by contracts, it's run by leaders - and Vic is the leader.

Return to Indiana Pacers