Dennis Schroder thoughts?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: Dennis Schroder thoughts? 

Post#41 » by Wizop » Wed May 16, 2018 1:20 pm

after the lottery, Atlanta has the #3, #19, #30, and #33. that haul certainly should have the potential to make Schroeder happy.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#42 » by pizza guy » Thu May 17, 2018 11:57 am

Pacers__Talk wrote:I think it's obvious that Boston is going to be the team to beat in the East for the foreseeable future. So the real question is, do you think DC can be the pg for the next 3-4 years? His health is a concern to me and obviously he isn't getting younger. Kyrie is also 5 years younger. He is the short term solution but if a team is interested in him while his stock is high, the Pacers should try to move him and get a younger guy in return. DS has a fat contract that probably isn't worth absorbing at the moment, but there might be more options out there.

This makes a really solid case for going after Marcus Smart or even Rozier. Either guy would bring much needed attributes to our team, and would take important players away from Boston that would in turn be great weapons against them. Smart will be the easier one to get, but Rozier is probably the better player to get.
DoubleEagle4
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#43 » by DoubleEagle4 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 pm

pizza guy wrote:
Pacers__Talk wrote:I think it's obvious that Boston is going to be the team to beat in the East for the foreseeable future. So the real question is, do you think DC can be the pg for the next 3-4 years? His health is a concern to me and obviously he isn't getting younger. Kyrie is also 5 years younger. He is the short term solution but if a team is interested in him while his stock is high, the Pacers should try to move him and get a younger guy in return. DS has a fat contract that probably isn't worth absorbing at the moment, but there might be more options out there.

This makes a really solid case for going after Marcus Smart or even Rozier. Either guy would bring much needed attributes to our team, and would take important players away from Boston that would in turn be great weapons against them. Smart will be the easier one to get, but Rozier is probably the better player to get.

The rumor is that Marcus Smart is going to go wherever the money is. Pacers can throw a ton of money at him, but everyone seems to think that the Pacers really need a shooter. Smart isn't a shooter, but he's a great guy to have on the team. Celtics would be dumb to trade Rozier to the Pacers knowing that the Pacers are going to give them fits in the playoffs the next few years. Only way they would do that is if they won the trade big time, which would then hurt the Pacers. My guess is they will send him to bottom tier East team in return for assets or send him out West. Just think what the Cavs did by trading Kyrie to the Celtics...
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#44 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:51 pm

As for Smart and Rozier, there's 2 ways to look at it. Do we want Smart. Yeah at the right price he's a good defender and a smart player can play 3 positions but not a great shooter. At $11-12 million I'm interested. 2. IF we can make the Celtics pay too much for him they won't be able to pay Rozier next year and we can get him as a free agent.
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#45 » by Mich3006 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 pm

Would you guys do the following deal:

Collison, Leaf, 23, 50 for Schröder, 19, 30
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,324

Post#46 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri May 18, 2018 1:57 am

Ayatollah wrote:Would you guys do the following deal:

No.

Schroder is a horrible fit here. Leaf still counts as a first round pick, one who looked good in his opportunities. We trade a lot of value for a bad fit, just to move up 4 spots? No thanks.

This draft isn't deep enough for #30 to make a difference.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 469

Post#47 » by granger05 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:51 am

I will say that initially I viewed Schroeder as a reasonable risk if we could get him just for swapping salary. However, as some others have pointed out you could probably get Marcus Smart for less money and without sending assets out. I'm not a big believer in Smart, but he does at least one thing (play defense) at an elite level so I guess with more consideration I'm down on the idea of getting Schroeder and higher on the idea of chasing Smart.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#48 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:27 am

Not unless I could swap Schroder to another team and pick up some minor assets. I like Collion he's been a good player for us, he's a great shooter and he takes care of the ball, doesn't make a lot of TO's. Assists to TO ratio is 4.4 to 1 and he gets more steals than TO's in a game.

The biggest issues with Schroder is that battery charge and that he cannot shoot. His play reminds me of Monta Ellis. He's small and makes a lot of TO's, can't shoot and facing a battery charge. So no unless I can flip him and I wouldn't want to give up DC to do it.

How about:

Atlanta gets: Al Jefferson, 23 and DJ Augustin
Orlando gets: Schroder and #50 plus $4 million to buy out Al.
Indana gets: Jonathon Simmons, 19, 33 and 35.

Atlanta gets out of Schroders contract, buys out big Al, gets a replacement for DS and only moves down 4 spots and gives up the 33rd pick.

Orlando gets Schroder who might help them for Augustine and Simmons and #35. They get out of DJ's deal which has 2 more years.

The Pacers pick up Simmons to help at SF, move up 4 spots and get 2 early 2nds. Pacers draft Kyrie Thomas, Bates-Diop and Chimezie Metu. The cost is $4 million to buy out Al and #50.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#49 » by Vorda » Fri May 18, 2018 5:57 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:

No.

Schroder is a horrible fit here. Leaf still counts as a first round pick, one who looked good in his opportunities. We trade a lot of value for a bad fit, just to move up 4 spots? No thanks.

Remember when Vic was closed by Cavs defenders... we didnt have answer for that... if we had guy like DS who can drive and score we would pass Cavs... so that's why he will be a great fit to our team...
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#50 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri May 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Vorda wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:

No.

Remember when Vic was closed by Cavs defenders... we didnt have answer for that... if we had guy like DS who can drive and score we would pass Cavs... so that's why he will be a great fit to our team...

But he can't shoot. That is the issue. When Vic goes to drive or is in the P&R the Cavs and the other 29 teams in the NBA are going to sag off of DS and help on Vic. Just like this year.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#51 » by 8305 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Possibly, I'm big on Marcus Smart and if he could be had in free agency for the same money owed on Shroder's contract that would be much more desirable. But if we struck on Smart I think this is would be an alternative. The value on Leaf and the picks is pretty close. So it would come down to Collison for Shroder.

Collison and Joseph for that matter are largely finished products. The question, can Shroder evolve into a better shooter and/or defender? Looking at his physical tools it would he seem he should be a good defender. He's still a relatively young guy so he shouldn't be a finished product yet?
BooomBaby
Junior
And1: 198

Post#52 » by BooomBaby » Sat May 19, 2018 5:49 am

MUpacersSIC wrote:Agree that we should look into it

If by "look into it" you mean looking away, then yes, I agree.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#53 » by MUpacersSIC » Sat May 19, 2018 12:43 pm

BooomBaby wrote:
MUpacersSIC wrote:Agree that we should look into it

If by "look into it" you mean looking away, then yes, I agree.

The more I've read about him the more I agree. Guy sounds awful. Yikes
Vorda
Senior

Post#54 » by Vorda » Sat May 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Vorda wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:No.

But he can't shoot. That is the issue. When Vic goes to drive or is in the P&R the Cavs and the other 29 teams in the NBA are going to sag off of DS and help on Vic. Just like this year.

Last year in PO he was 25 p, 7 a... thats fine to me...
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#55 » by boomershadow » Sat May 19, 2018 1:11 pm

This seems like a move that would have been much more likely under Larry Bird than Kevin Pritchard. Pritchard seems to appreciate shooting a little more.
Vorda
Senior

Post#56 » by Vorda » Sat May 19, 2018 1:14 pm

boomershadow wrote:This seems like a move that would have been much more likely under Larry Bird than Kevin Pritchard. Pritchard seems to appreciate shooting a little more.

We can bring shooter too... we have enough cap space for free agents... Hezonja for example...
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#57 » by Miller4ever » Sat May 19, 2018 1:50 pm

Vorda wrote:
boomershadow wrote:This seems like a move that would have been much more likely under Larry Bird than Kevin Pritchard. Pritchard seems to appreciate shooting a little more.

We can bring shooter too... we have enough cap space for free agents... Hezonja for example...

Ew
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#58 » by Pacers_Freak » Sun May 20, 2018 2:08 am

:nonono:
Vorda wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
Vorda wrote:

Last year in PO he was 25 p, 7 a... thats fine to me...

Schroeder is a fine player. I will not debate that. I don't like the fit. Similar to signing Ellis a few years ago. He had nice numbers. His fit here was terrible.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#59 » by Wizop » Sun May 20, 2018 2:25 am

I much prefer DiVincenzo to Schroeder.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#60 » by Boneman2 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 am

Wizop wrote:I much prefer DiVincenzo to Schroeder.

Sent from my phone.

Why not both?
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne

Return to Indiana Pacers