Lance is a Laker

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

JermaineOYea
Senior
And1: 1,177

Lance is a Laker 

Post#1 » by JermaineOYea » Mon Jul 2, 2018 2:34 am

I want to thank Lance Stephenson for bringing everything he had every night. He may have had his off games, but his heart and effort were never questioned. He's family to me as a die-hard Pacers fan, and he's going to be missed.

Really unhappy with Pritch for this.

I'd be more than happy to see Lance get a ring out of it though.
BAT 19.0
Milwaukee Bucks

C - W. Cauley-Stein/A. Len
F - P. Siakim/D. Bertans
F - TJ Warren/E. Turner
G - B. Ingram/L. Stephenson
G - K. Walker/DJ Augustin/Y. Ferrell
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Re: Lance is a Laker 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 2, 2018 2:41 am

lance and lebron teammates. you know lebron had to approve this deal. what fun.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#3 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 2, 2018 3:03 am

LBJ probably had them sign him to an non guaranteed deal so they can cut him before the first game.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#4 » by Jake0890 » Mon Jul 2, 2018 3:11 am

Thanks for the memories, Lance.

This is great for the memes.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#5 » by Pacersike » Mon Jul 2, 2018 4:24 am

Can't be mad at the guy for teaming up with Leannoying.

I think he tried as hard as he can be to be a good player for the Pacers. We failed too to get the best out of him.

I'm going to miss him, strangly enough.

At least he in the West :)
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 274

Post#6 » by HurricaneDij25 » Mon Jul 2, 2018 4:59 am

JermaineOYea wrote:I want to thank Lance Stephenson for bringing everything he had every night. He may have had his off games, but his heart and effort were never questioned. He's family to me as a die-hard Pacers fan, and he's going to be missed.

I hope he doesn't win anything, because he is the enemy now.

While it was absolutely disheartening that our franchise valued Doug McDermott over him, it was equally as disheartening knowing Lance took the "can't beat 'em so join 'em" approach.

This has come to be me approach as a fan - If you play on a team other than mine, then you're the enemy. Sorry if I'm coming off as ego-driven...
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#7 » by Moooose » Mon Jul 2, 2018 5:23 am

Not mad at Lance at all. It was not his fault that he got cut, and not his fault for opportunities popping out of nowhere. Joining a non-contender would seem like a demotion. I wish him well in LA, I'd probably cop a Lakers Stephenson jersey.
Jermainevent
Senior
And1: 152

Post#8 » by Jermainevent » Mon Jul 2, 2018 5:24 am

HurricaneDij25 wrote:
JermaineOYea wrote:I want to thank Lance Stephenson for bringing everything he had every night. He may have had his off games, but his heart and effort were never questioned. He's family to me as a die-hard Pacers fan, and he's going to be missed.

While it was absolutely disheartening that our franchise valued Doug McDermott over him, it was equally as disheartening knowing Lance took the "can't beat 'em so join 'em" approach.

This has come to be me approach as a fan - If you play on a team other than mine, then you're the enemy. Sorry if I'm coming off as ego-driven...

Lance didn't take the "can't beat 'em so join 'em" approach, he took the go where someone wanted and offered me. He would have loved to stay in Indiana but we cut him. What did you want him to do, wait around until the Pacers finally wised up and offered him? Dude is far from the enemy, and I'll always pull for him.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
― Hippocrates
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#9 » by winter_mute_13 » Mon Jul 2, 2018 7:35 am

Happy for Lance that he found a landing spot. Think it's an odd fit actually but at least he's getting paid.

I think Lance's main contribution was the fiery energy he brought every night. That's the aspect that will be hardest to replace, I think. He also brought an eclectic of skills to the table which make him an interesting player, but unfortunately one who is hard to fit into certain systems. This is why he was let go IMO.

I wish Lance success on a personal level, but I can't possibly root for the Lakers or LeBron, LOL. And who knows, there might come a time again when the Pacers need to call on Lance's special skills.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#10 » by Vorda » Mon Jul 2, 2018 10:00 am

I dont Know what to say... we let Lance and GRIII... and sign poor man McDermont... on the bench we have CJ, Holiday and McD... dont forget that DC is still our primary PG... I hope we will sign some bigger name...
asero
Rookie
And1: 633

Post#11 » by asero » Mon Jul 2, 2018 10:06 am

I think Domas will struggle without Lance.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#12 » by 8305 » Mon Jul 2, 2018 10:20 am

Lance was a breath of fresh air in 2017 and he was a useful sub in 2018. But at the end of the day his game isn’t a fit with Vic. Moving forward that is a requirement to be a Pacer.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,304

Post#13 » by boomershadow » Mon Jul 2, 2018 10:48 am

Vorda wrote:I dont Know what to say... we let Lance and GRIII... and sign poor man McDermont... on the bench we have CJ, Holiday and McD... dont forget that DC is still our primary PG... I hope we will sign some bigger name...

I don't think setting the expectation that the Pacers are gonna sign some home run level free agent is fair. That's just not what the team has ever done. We aren't a free agent destination, and we don't have a Lebron or Harden type that's recruiting players here. Small market teams have to build slowly. That means making smart signings that aren't splashy. We've seen lots of teams throw big money around at "names" in free agency the last few years, and most of the time it doesn't work out that well for the team doing it.

Teams that have cap space and pressure to make some kind of impact signing right away end up making deals like the ones for Chandler Parsons, or Biyombo, or Noah, Deng, Anderson, you name it. And those kinds of mistakes can really hamper a team for years afterwards. The last time we tried to make a splash, we ended up waiving Monta Ellis before his deal was even up.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#14 » by Jstock12 » Mon Jul 2, 2018 12:59 pm

asero wrote:I think Domas will struggle without Lance.

It wasn't Domas who needed Lance in order to succeed, it was the other way around. Domas fits with most players due to his great fundamentals and versatility. On the other hand, for Lance to even be PLAYABLE Domas had to be in that second unit with him.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#15 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 2, 2018 1:47 pm

boomershadow wrote:I don't think setting the expectation that the Pacers are gonna sign some home run level free agent is fair. That's just not what the team has ever done. We aren't a free agent destination, and we don't have a Lebron or Harden type that's recruiting players here. Small market teams have to build slowly. That means making smart signings that aren't splashy. We've seen lots of teams throw big money around at "names" in free agency the last few years, and most of the time it doesn't work out that well for the team doing it.

I agree with everything except the pessimism. I don't accept that we can't sign top talent. I do accept that big contracts can be an anchor. I think one of last year's worst trades was Griffin to Detroit. his contract is going to be a burden for years to come. Bird also made his share of mistakes trading for older players whose day had passed ... Monta and Scola come to mind.

you need a timeline. one of Jim Irsay's worst moves was trading for the #1 pick (Jeff George) while not moving an older star running back (Eric Dickerson) failing to recognize that a rookie quarterback would take more time to develop that an older running back had left. We have core players still on rookie contracts. They are going to get better. Vic is pushing them by example to get much better.

also if you watched the NBATV free agent show yesterday, they kept stressing that a key Golden State asset was continuity. They start every year with the system in place and everyone atune to it. we have that this year too.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Indy4Life
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#16 » by Indy4Life » Mon Jul 2, 2018 1:58 pm

Time to deal Sabonis to the Kings (Vlade should be willing to overpay for him). We can throw in a piece to get WCS and Bogdan.

Portland should be ready to rebuild also as they are now no better than the 6th best team in the West. CJMc for Collison, Thad, Leaf and a 1?
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#17 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Jul 2, 2018 2:02 pm

Jermainevent wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:

Lance didn't take the "can't beat 'em so join 'em" approach, he took the go where someone wanted and offered me. He would have loved to stay in Indiana but we cut him. What did you want him to do, wait around until the Pacers finally wised up and offered him? Dude is far from the enemy, and I'll always pull for him.

Completely agree. What do you want Lance to do not make a living? Sometimes we need to take the fan goggles off.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#18 » by Jstock12 » Mon Jul 2, 2018 2:06 pm

Indy4Life wrote:Time to deal Sabonis to the Kings (Vlade should be willing to overpay for him). We can throw in a piece to get WCS and Bogdan.

Portland should be ready to rebuild also as they are now no better than the 6th best team in the West. CJMc for Collison, Thad, Leaf and a 1?

Why would Vlade overpay by giving away a talented fellow Serb? That doesn't make any sense. Also, WCS is a crappy offensive player, while still living off of his defensive reputation from college.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#19 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 2, 2018 2:15 pm

Indy4Life wrote:Time to deal Sabonis to the Kings (Vlade should be willing to overpay for him). We can throw in a piece to get WCS and Bogdan.

I would not trade Sabonis for WCS who is gonna be 25 in august. The 2nd trade is not too terrible but CJ has a bigger contract than Victor.
JermaineOYea
Senior
And1: 1,177

Post#20 » by JermaineOYea » Mon Jul 2, 2018 2:43 pm

Deal Sabonis? Get out.
BAT 19.0
Milwaukee Bucks

C - W. Cauley-Stein/A. Len
F - P. Siakim/D. Bertans
F - TJ Warren/E. Turner
G - B. Ingram/L. Stephenson
G - K. Walker/DJ Augustin/Y. Ferrell

Return to Indiana Pacers