Tyreke Evans, Welcome

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: Tyreke Evans, Welcome 

Post#61 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 4, 2018 12:56 pm

Leaf is up to 240 having added 25 pounds in a year. he's stronger. he's also still one of youngest players on the team.

if Evans starts, whoever he displaces adds scoring to second unit. Holiday is also a scorer.

I read Evans has a tendency to go bouncy bouncy. (Travs Best). if he buys in to ball movement and stays healthy, we've got a backcourt.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tippy
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#62 » by Tippy » Wed Jul 4, 2018 1:10 pm

Wizop wrote:Leaf is up to 240 having added 25 pounds in a year. he's stronger. he's also still one of youngest players on the team.

if Evans starts, whoever he displaces adds scoring to second unit. I read Evans has a tendency to go bouncy bouncy. (Travs Best). if he buys in to ball movement and stays healthy, we've got a backcourt.

Sent from my phone.

Glad to see Leaf putting the work in. His offensive game has plenty of potential, but his defense is just sooooo bad.

Hopefully Leaf starts the year off with confidence on the offensive and defensive ends. If not I could see McDermott start to take away Leafs minutes.
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Tyreke Evans, Welcome 

Post#63 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 4, 2018 1:35 pm

Tippy wrote:Hopefully Leaf starts the year off with confidence on the offensive and defensive ends. If not I could see McDermott start to take away Leafs minutes.

Leaf doesn't have any minutes to take away yet. we really haven't seen him play enough yet to grade his defense.

can't see McBuckets at 4. Poythress and Alize could surprise.

Sent from my phone.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#64 » by 8305 » Wed Jul 4, 2018 3:09 pm

Has Tyreke ever been a meaningful contributor to good team? Does anyone know if he is close to the athlete he was when he was drafted?

He clearly had an excellent statistical season last year albeit on a really bad team. I see him as the classical sixth man who is on the floor at the end of games. When Vic is out of the game I expect Tyreke is in. It will be interesting to see if he gets backup minutes at the 1 or the 3 positions. In a perfect world this is the the perfect opportunity for the once elite prospect. He plays so well that he can command big bucks and with all our cap,space next year we can pay him.
Pacernation
Senior
And1: 928

Post#65 » by Pacernation » Wed Jul 4, 2018 3:27 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tippy wrote:Hopefully Leaf starts the year off with confidence on the offensive and defensive ends. If not I could see McDermott start to take away Leafs minutes.

Leaf doesn't have any minutes to take away yet. we really haven't seen him play enough yet to grade his defense.

Sent from my phone.

The few games i watched with Leaf playing he looked completly lost out there. No defensive fundamentals whatsoever. I could be wrong and he turns it around but right now I can't believe he can be a major part of next years season.

It's almost the same for Poythress but in a different way. He didn't look like he had no clue what he was doing on defense, but the few times i saw him, he was just fouling the heck of his opponents. I remember a game where he had like 4 fouls in 5 minutes. I just don't see the potential there, but let's give the guys a chance. Just wouldn't count on both to contribute more than just some bodys you can throw in there for some minutes..

Anybody remembers Rakeem Christmas? There was allways the feeling that he could do more but he was just not that good. Saw him in a game in Eurocup this season and he was just atrocious. His team got blown out by munich and he had like 0 points and couldn't do anything right. I hope our guys will be better but right now i just don't see it. If there's a trade to be made, I wouldn't think twice about throwing them in there..

Don't know anything about alize though..
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Tyreke Evans, Welcome 

Post#66 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 4, 2018 4:09 pm

Pacernation wrote:The few games i watched with Leaf playing he looked completly lost out there...

summer league starts soon. we'll see if anyone dominates.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#67 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 4, 2018 4:28 pm

Pacernation wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

The few games i watched with Leaf playing he looked completly lost out there. No defensive fundamentals whatsoever. I could be wrong and he turns it around but right now I can't believe he can be a major part of next years season.

It's almost the same for Poythress but in a different way. He didn't look like he had no clue what he was doing on defense, but the few times i saw him, he was just fouling the heck of his opponents. I remember a game where he had like 4 fouls in 5 minutes. I just don't see the potential there, but let's give the guys a chance. Just wouldn't count on both to contribute more than just some bodys you can throw in there for some minutes..

Anybody remembers Rakeem Christmas? There was allways the feeling that he could do more but he was just not that good. Saw him in a game in Eurocup this season and he was just atrocious. His team got blown out by munich and he had like 0 points and couldn't do anything right. I hope our guys will be better but right now i just don't see it. If there's a trade to be made, I wouldn't think twice about throwing them in there..

Speaking of Rakeem, he was recently engaged to the daughter of Michael Jordan.
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#68 » by ahartleyvu » Wed Jul 4, 2018 6:38 pm

Lol @ starting Leaf. No way.

Collison 28 / Evans 20
Dipo 34 / Joseph 14
Bogdan 28 / Evans 10 / McDermott 10
Thad 32 / Sabonis 10 / Leaf 6
Turner 30 / Sabonis 18

That’s about how I see it going down.

Shooter at the 3 (Bogdan/McD).
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#69 » by SmashMouthRod » Wed Jul 4, 2018 6:40 pm

Wizop wrote:any chance the rotation changes to be

1) Evans, Collison, Holiday
2) Oladipo, CoJo, Evans
3) Bogie, McBuckets, Evans
4) Thad, Sabonis,Leaf
5) Turner, Sabonis, Ike (or FA)

inactive Poythress, Alize, Ike (if FA 5 signed)
2 way Moore, Sumner

I think that would be nice lineup. The only thing im rooting for is for Holiday to be good enough to beat out Cojo right away. If he's that good right away it could be a very good sign for the team. We already know he's supposed to be a great shooter and also that he's known to be a pit bull on defense. Everyone in the rotation would be knock down shooters except Thad. Then you have.......

Evans (39% 3pt), Collison (47), Cojo (35)
Oladipo (38), Holiday (43), Cojo
Bogie (40), McBuckets (43)
Thad (32), Sabonis (35), Leaf (43)
Turner (36), Sabonis (35)
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#70 » by Tom White » Wed Jul 4, 2018 6:55 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:
I think that would be nice lineup. The only thing im rooting for is for Holiday to be good enough to beat out Cojo right away. If he's that good right away it could be a very good sign for the team. We already know he's supposed to be a great shooter and also that he's known to be a pit bull on defense. Everyone in the rotation would be knock down shooters except Thad. Then you have.......

I hate to point this out, but you've got Sabonis playing 70 minutes per game. :lol:
Pacernation
Senior

Post#71 » by Pacernation » Wed Jul 4, 2018 6:59 pm

Tom White wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

I hate to point this out, but you've got Sabonis playing 70 minutes per game. :lol:

I think it's 3 point percentage not minutes.. :lol:
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#72 » by Tom White » Wed Jul 4, 2018 7:21 pm

Pacernation wrote:
Tom White wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

I think it's 3 point percentage not minutes.. :lol:

Ah. Well that's good to know, otherwise poor Sabonis was going to be totally worn out. :oops:
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#73 » by winter_mute_13 » Thu Jul 5, 2018 6:04 pm

Some more thoughts on the Tyreke signing...

Based on last season, Tyreke would be the 2nd best player on the Pacers by a clear margin. Ranked by RPM, Oladipo was the 6th best player in the league last season (+5.91) and the #2 ranked SG; Tyreke was the 26th best player (+3.46) and the #3 SG.

The only other Pacers with positive RPM were DC (+2.24), Thad (+1.09), and Myles (+0.43). So on the surface of it, adding Tyreke is huge.

It's never that simple though. As with Dipo, Tyreke's excellent season was built on a sky high usage where he was given control of the offense. It seems inevitable that if the Pacers play Dipo and Tyreke together, one or the other's game is bound to suffer.

So it's very likely I think that Tyreke is going to come off the bench, and be the designated scorer whenever Dipo is out. That said, there would still be big chunks of his minutes (maybe even the majority) when he's sharing the court with Dipo. How well these 2 can mesh their games can well decide how far the Pacers go this season.

One more caveat. The Pacers signed Monta Ellis 3 years ago, also after a 19 ppg season. That... didn't quite work out. Hopefully things will be different with Tyreke. Ultimately I think it comes down to how effective he can be without the ball.
Indy4Life
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#74 » by Indy4Life » Thu Jul 5, 2018 7:15 pm

That's the beauty of the 1 year deal. If he goes full monta, we move on. When it works as predicted, we have the option and cap space to bring him back.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#75 » by boomershadow » Fri Jul 6, 2018 8:28 am

I think that Evans slides into Lance's role and that the rotation probably looks pretty similar to last year. Hopefully Leaf earns more minutes this year.
Indy4Life
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#76 » by Indy4Life » Fri Jul 6, 2018 2:48 pm

Evans should lead the bench in minutes with 24-30 per game. I think CoJo/Sabonis/McDermott will all be in the mix for 18-24 per game. I don't expect Dipo or Turner to have reduced minutes, but Bogey and Thad could see a reduction with McDermott being able to stretch the floor and Sabonis developing into a more consistent player.
Storm1324
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#77 » by Storm1324 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 5:09 pm

Great pick up signing Tyreke Evans, personally I'd have preferred a 2 yr deal with a partial guarantee on the 2nd year. To me a huge upgrade over Lance.
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#78 » by pizza guy » Fri Jul 6, 2018 5:33 pm

Indy4Life wrote:Evans should lead the bench in minutes with 24-30 per game. I think CoJo/Sabonis/McDermott will all be in the mix for 18-24 per game. I don't expect Dipo or Turner to have reduced minutes, but Bogey and Thad could see a reduction with McDermott being able to stretch the floor and Sabonis developing into a more consistent player.

Remember last year when Bogey's shooting %s really dipped and McMillan said he thought it was fatigue, so they rested him a little and it helped pick him back up? Bringing in McDermott and Tyreke will definitely cut into Bogey's minutes a little bit, hopefully helping him stay at peak performance and not get so worn down. :)
Pacernation
Senior

Post#79 » by Pacernation » Sat Jul 7, 2018 9:30 am

pizza guy wrote:
Indy4Life wrote:Evans should lead the bench in minutes with 24-30 per game. I think CoJo/Sabonis/McDermott will all be in the mix for 18-24 per game. I don't expect Dipo or Turner to have reduced minutes, but Bogey and Thad could see a reduction with McDermott being able to stretch the floor and Sabonis developing into a more consistent player.

Remember last year when Bogey's shooting %s really dipped and McMillan said he thought it was fatigue, so they rested him a little and it helped pick him back up? Bringing in McDermott and Tyreke will definitely cut into Bogey's minutes a little bit, hopefully helping him stay at peak performance and not get so worn down. :)

I thought that was one of the problems against the cavs aswell. We needed his shooting desperatly and he had to guard Lebron aswell. Just didn't have the legs in the end. Love our Team on paper.. :nod:

Return to Indiana Pacers