Noah Vonleh?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Noah Vonleh? 

Post#1 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 7:38 pm

As you may know I'm not really impressed with TJ Leaf, I think he needs to play the whole year in the G-League. And it looks like Ike is injured again. Therefor he won't be with the Pacers on a daily basis, that creates a need for depth at PF.

Vonleh is not getting much interest from the Bulls as an RFA. I'd like to shoot him an offer $3 million 2 years with a player option in year 2.

Question is would he sign for that and would the bulls let him go, I'd give a top 45 protected 2nd in 2021 for him.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Re: Noah Vonleh? 

Post#2 » by SmashMouthRod » Mon Jul 9, 2018 8:02 pm

I think that could be a good move. A prove it type of deal. Especially with Indy's history in developing guys. He is already a decent defensive player. His offense was known to be raw and needed work when he was drafted but teams have been impatient with him. Maybe lightning can strike twice similarly to the Jermaine O'Neal situation. I think they used the last of the spending money on O'Quinn though. Imagine if this guy finally turns the corner and we get him for pennies on the dollar? I know its off topic but this reminds me that Some part of me is afraid we let GR3 go a lil too early. And he signed for 3 years only 8 mill. It will look bad on us If he goes out there to Detroit on that type of deal and becomes one of the better three and D wings.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#3 » by SmashMouthRod » Mon Jul 9, 2018 8:09 pm

Collison/Cojo/Holiday
Oladipo/Evans
Bogie/McBuckets
Young/Vonleh
Turner/Sabonis
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#4 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 9, 2018 8:23 pm

I really don't think the power forward position is a problem even without Leaf, but we do have a roster spot. we have Thad, Sabonis, O'Quinn, Alize, and even Turner who can play the 4. Ike when healthy is a 5 and I think O'Quinn is expected to provide depth at both 4 and 5.

bottom line if I were coaching I would want to give Sabonis and Turner regular minutes at 4 as well as 5.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#5 » by Tom White » Mon Jul 9, 2018 8:43 pm

As an IU fan, he was one of the most infuriating guys I've ever watched play. He always was trying to make even the simplest play into a much more complicated one. I also always thought he played a lot more for himself than for the team. That would not fit in here.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 9, 2018 8:44 pm

All we have left are vet minimum deals. $1.512m cap hit, with the players actually salary varying from there.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#7 » by donkeylips » Mon Jul 9, 2018 9:48 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:Collison/Cojo/Holiday
Oladipo/Evans
Bogie/McBuckets
Young/Vonleh
Turner/Sabonis

Don’t forget o’quinn
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#8 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:42 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:All we have left are vet minimum deals. $1.512m cap hit, with the players actually salary varying from there.

Yeah after I posted this thread I was adding it up and we're right at the cap. What about the BAE? I'd sign him to a 1 year vet min deal as an emergency big and send TJ to the GLeague.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#9 » by winter_mute_13 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:All we have left are vet minimum deals. $1.512m cap hit, with the players actually salary varying from there.

Yeah after I posted this thread I was adding it up and we're right at the cap. What about the BAE? I'd sign him to a 1 year vet min deal as an emergency big and send TJ to the GLeague.

No BAE and no MLE if the team is using cap space. Just the room exception which we already used on KOQ. Scoot is right, it's minimum deals from here on out.

I think we need wing depth more than anything else. Just watch, we're going to sign another Damien Wilkins.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:18 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

No BAE and no MLE if the team is using cap space. Just the room exception which we already used on KOQ. Scoot is right, it's minimum deals from here on out.

I think we need wing depth more than anything else. Just watch, we're going to sign another Damien Wilkins.

I don’t know about wing depth needs. Joseph can play at the 2, if Holiday can earn some minutes at the 1. That allows us to play Tyreke some at the 3. It’s also possible Alize gets signed and gets some emergency minutes at the 3/4. Poythress would’ve filled some of those same 3/4 minutes.

A vet win could still be signed, for sure though.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#11 » by Jake0890 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:39 pm

KP said the free agency work is done. I would be surprised if we signed any other FA (not including Alize - he's not even a FA).

But like someone said above Noah Vonleh was infuriating to watch at IU. When Thomas Bryant was released, I kinda wished we had been in on him. Vonleh is slowly getting better, but dude is still shooting 41% from the field. I'd rather let Leaf take the floor than bother with him.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Jake0890 wrote: When Thomas Bryant was released, I kinda wished we had been in on him.

he didn't clear waivers so we wouldn't have had a shot at him as Knicks had a higher claim.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Wizop wrote:
Jake0890 wrote: When Thomas Bryant was released, I kinda wished we had been in on him.

he didn't clear waivers so we wouldn't have had a shot at him as Knicks had a higher claim.

Wizards got him.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#14 » by Wizop » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Wizards got him.

oops. senior moment. still, they had a worse record than we did too, so their claim would have had priority.. at least that's how I think it works, but maybe I'm thinking of football.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#15 » by Tom White » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 pm

Jake0890 wrote:KP said the free agency work is done. I would be surprised if we signed any other FA (not including Alize - he's not even a FA).

But like someone said above Noah Vonleh was infuriating to watch at IU. When Thomas Bryant was released, I kinda wished we had been in on him. Vonleh is slowly getting better, but dude is still shooting 41% from the field. I'd rather let Leaf take the floor than bother with him.

Bryant was another IU player who was frustrating to watch. He had such a size advantage over most of his opponents, yet wanted to play on the perimeter all the time. He could have been much more effective down low, but seemed determined to launch away from 3 point land.

Now, some of that may have been on the coach. I felt like the players were running the team more than Crean was running it. Of course that was either good or bad depending on your opinion of Crean. :lol:
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#16 » by Jake0890 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:06 am

Tom White wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:KP said the free agency work is done. I would be surprised if we signed any other FA (not including Alize - he's not even a FA).

Bryant was another IU player who was frustrating to watch. He had such a size advantage over most of his opponents, yet wanted to play on the perimeter all the time. He could have been much more effective down low, but seemed determined to launch away from 3 point land.

Now, some of that may have been on the coach. I felt like the players were running the team more than Crean was running it. Of course that was either good or bad depending on your opinion of Crean. :lol:

Thomas Bryant his first year showed flashes of Cody Zeller. Kid shot 68%!!!

His deciding to come back for a second year was kinda surprising and I think ended up hurting his draft stock as his second year was worse than his first.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#17 » by cruwinas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:23 pm

I'm really disappointed in Leaf. Any replacement would benefit the team.
:crazy:

Return to Indiana Pacers