Potential FA to pursue in 2019

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Re: Potential FA to pursue in 2019 

Post#61 » by 8305 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:57 pm

I expect an arrangement similar to the one we have now (pg played out by a committee of two), replacing Collison with Holiday. Resigning CoJo.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#62 » by Topofthekey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:01 pm

I'm going to add Jeremy Lin to my list of good FA options at PG

I think he's a decent choice if the goal is to have someone man the PG position for the next season or two, until Holiday or Sumner is ready to start

He seems to have regained his game somewhat with the Hawks, and I can't see the Hawks wanting to retain him. Plus he seems like a decent and humble guy? Should be a good fit culture wise

1. Ricky Rubio
2. Spencer Dinwiddie
3. Jeremy Lin
4. Elfrid Payton
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#63 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:15 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I'm going to add Jeremy Lin to my list of good FA options at PG

I think he's a decent choice if the goal is to have someone man the PG position for the next season or two, until Holiday or Sumner is ready to start

He seems to have regained his game somewhat with the Hawks, and I can't see the Hawks wanting to retain him. Plus he seems like a decent and humble guy? Should be a good fit culture wise

1. Ricky Rubio
2. Spencer Dinwiddie
3. Jeremy Lin
4. Elfrid Payton

If going the Lin route.... why not keep Cojo? I'd prefer him over Lin.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#64 » by pacers33granger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:29 pm

I'd prefer just about anyone to Lin. He's a terrible PG and is another in a long line of SGs in PG bodies who also happens to be a relatively poor SG.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#65 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:46 pm

If we bring CoJo back, we won't need a PG. Even if CoJo chooses to leave(which doesn't seem likely based on how quickly he picked up his option), we still have Holiday and Sumner, who I think is ready for NBA minutes.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by Topofthekey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:48 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:I'm going to add Jeremy Lin to my list of good FA options at PG

1. Ricky Rubio
2. Spencer Dinwiddie
3. Jeremy Lin
4. Elfrid Payton

If going the Lin route.... why not keep Cojo? I'd prefer him over Lin.

I'm actually ok with bringing CoJo back, but I like him as a backup SG better, meaning something like:

Vic / CoJo / Sumner
Dinwiddie / Holiday / Sumner

The idea is to take page out of the 2004 Pistons template, where they had 3 decent scorers (Hamilton, Billups, Sheed) forming sort of a tripod, plus two supporting cast (Wallace, Prince). So signing Dinwiddie (or Lin) is going to be step 1, and signing someone like Danny Green will be step 2. Which will give us a starting 5 of Myles / Domas / Green / Vic / Dinwiddie. Vic, Domas, and Dinwiddie will be the 3 scoring options 1 2 and 3, and Myles and Green will be the support. Dinwiddie is of course much more preferable to Lin since he has some star potential, but as the 3rd leg of the scoring tripod, Lin will do if Pacers couldn't sign Dinwiddie

pacers33granger wrote:I'd prefer just about anyone to Lin. He's a terrible PG and is another in a long line of SGs in PG bodies who also happens to be a relatively poor SG.

I guess it depends on the role that he is envisioned to play. I think he's capable of filling the 3rd scoring option role, behind Vic and Domas. Of course as I said, someone like Dinwiddie would be much more preferable, but sometimes you work with what you are able to get
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#67 » by Wizop » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:56 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:If we bring CoJo back, we won't need a PG. Even if CoJo chooses to leave(which doesn't seem likely based on how quickly he picked up his option), we still have Holiday and Sumner, who I think is ready for NBA minutes.

if CoJo walks, we can keep DC. I agree that Holiday and Sumner look to be the future making the need short term. I'd prefer CoJo as a starter to DC as a backup, but I'd prefer either to an outsider.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#68 » by pacers33granger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Topofthekey wrote:

pacers33granger wrote:I'd prefer just about anyone to Lin. He's a terrible PG and is another in a long line of SGs in PG bodies who also happens to be a relatively poor SG.

I guess it depends on the role that he is envisioned to play. I think he's capable of filling the 3rd scoring option role, behind Vic and Domas. Of course as I said, someone like Dinwiddie would be much more preferable, but sometimes you work with what you are able to get

I'm not sold that he can be a primary scoring option. He's been super streaky throughout his career and he's also already 30 with a game that relies a lot on athleticism. He's also terrible defensively. Seems like a nice guy and good teammate, but there are so many better options out there imo.

Overall, I personally hate how he plays. As I said, he's a SG in a PGs body and he's never been a very good SG. He plays a lot like Tyreke. I would prefer to bring DC back if the money is the same if he's the other option. And not that it should really effect the front office's decision, but he comes with a ton of baggage in the form of an annoying fanbase.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by Topofthekey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:30 pm

Wizop wrote: I'd prefer CoJo as a starter to DC as a backup, but I'd prefer either to an outsider.

CoJo was an outsider too prior to last season, wasn't he
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by Topofthekey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:41 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I'm not sold that he can be a primary scoring option. He's been super streaky throughout his career and he's also already 30 with a game that relies a lot on athleticism. He's also terrible defensively. Seems like a nice guy and good teammate, but there are so many better options out there imo.

Overall, I personally hate how he plays. As I said, he's a SG in a PGs body and he's never been a very good SG. He plays a lot like Tyreke. I would prefer to bring DC back if the money is the same if he's the other option. And not that it should really effect the front office's decision, but he comes with a ton of baggage in the form of an annoying fanbase.

I don't disagree with any of the points brought up, except maybe his defense (fully), and him not being a good option on offense (slightly)

Bogie was widely considered as a sieve on defense prior to his arrival here as well. He is no longer considered a sieve now. Of course it has a lot to do with his effort, but I doubt he just suddenly learned how to play good defense on his own, the coaching staff probably had a huge role in that. If they could turn Bogie into a decent defender, I believe they can do the same with Lin, as long as Lin is willing to put in the effort

As for being a scoring option, yes I am not too keen on someone like him being the primary or secondary focus on offense either, but as the 3rd option behind Vic and Domas, picking up the slack every now and then, I can see it working

I'm all for going with someone else better if there is someone available. I'd much rather go with Dinwiddie as I said. But for a relatively cheap and available guy, I would get be him a look if other options are exhausted
Wizop
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizop » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:01 pm

pacers33granger wrote:he's a SG in a PGs body

that could've once been said about Vic. I'd be comfortable next year starting Vic and a combo guard - and you could call CoJo that.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#72 » by pacers33granger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:04 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:he's a SG in a PGs body

that could've once been said about Vic. I'd be comfortable next year starting Vic and a combo guard - and you could call CoJo that.

But Vic plays SG, has good length, and elite athleticism. I'm fine with a shorter SG, but Lin is supposed to be a PG and again, he's not a good SG anyways. CoJo works only because he's a good defender.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#73 » by pacers33granger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:08 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Bogie was widely considered as a sieve on defense prior to his arrival here as well. He is no longer considered a sieve now. Of course it has a lot to do with his effort, but I doubt he just suddenly learned how to play good defense on his own, the coaching staff probably had a huge role in that. If they could turn Bogie into a decent defender, I believe they can do the same with Lin, as long as Lin is willing to put in the effort

Bogie has improved, but he's still a negative defender honestly. And he had the excuse of not having a stable situation. Those Nets teams he was on were incredibly dysfunctional and then he spent half a season on the Wizards. Lin has had strong defensive coaching in his career. Effort and IQ has never been his issue, it's been ability. Though I think he does get an undeserved rep as a high IQ player simply because he's an Asian who went to Harvard. But his IQ issues are on offense where he goes into chucker mode far too often; defensively he seems to know where to be its just a matter of execution.

Topofthekey wrote:As for being a scoring option, yes I am not too keen on someone like him being the primary or secondary focus on offense either, but as the 3rd option behind Vic and Domas, picking up the slack every now and then, I can see it working

I'm all for going with someone else better if there is someone available. I'd much rather go with Dinwiddie as I said. But for a relatively cheap and available guy, I would get be him a look if other options are exhausted

I think even if we strike out on a bunch of guys there are better scoring options to be had out there honestly.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#74 » by pacers33granger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:18 pm

If we feel the need to get a vet PG to bridge the gap and ours are gone, we'd be better served going after Ish Smith, Pat Beverly, Shelvin Mack, or a few others like those guys.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#75 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:27 pm

Wizop wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:If we bring CoJo back, we won't need a PG. Even if CoJo chooses to leave(which doesn't seem likely based on how quickly he picked up his option), we still have Holiday and Sumner, who I think is ready for NBA minutes.

if CoJo walks, we can keep DC. I agree that Holiday and Sumner look to be the future making the need short term. I'd prefer CoJo as a starter to DC as a backup, but I'd prefer either to an outsider.

I have zero desire to keep DC at this point.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#76 » by Vorda » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:10 am

Wizop wrote:

That is such a great idea... Lets give him a new 4 year contract... :D
Wizop
RealGM

Post#77 » by Wizop » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:32 pm

Vorda wrote:That is such a great idea... Lets give him a new 4 year contract... :D

Collison was key in the last two road wins. his defense in the Utah game was lauded by the coach and he made big points down the stretch last night. back to back 11 assist games.

if he returns, I suspect it will be for less money on a short deal reflecting a reduced role but his leadership can not be denied. Thad is also a leader who earns his money on defense. I think Thad may want a long term contract and I'm not sure he can get it here. I have no idea what Collison will ask for. Tyreke isn't winning over hearts and minds. Holiday and Sumner (and maybe Alize) are going to have bigger roles next year if not later this year. I am 100% against bringing in an older point guard to get in the way. keeping a team leader in a new role is not the same to me. I think we're moving to a year when the 3rd point guard is an Al Jefferson role. DC can do that if he wants to.

perhaps we should table this discussion until after the playoffs. a first round exit would call for different actions than a 7 game loss to Toronto or Milwaukee.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#78 » by Tom White » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:35 pm

I swear some of our players could walk on water, and yet some posters would complain they travelled while doing it.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#79 » by Wizop » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Read on Twitter
Wizop
RealGM

Post#80 » by Wizop » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Indiana Pacers