Myles Turner

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Re: Myles Turner 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Jake0890 wrote:McMillan was asked about Turner and Sabonis playing simultaneously. He essentially said it won’t happen often. Still seems like such a waste of talent.

Exactly. Pritchard needs to have a talk with Max and make sure he understands that he’s not going to get any better talents at the 4 and 5 spots unless he gives it a shot.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#22 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:08 pm

it is all about scheme. they may not fit well together playing the schemes that work with Thad at 4, but use some imagination. zone? triangle? double post? smash mouth? I don't know what the answer is, but it isn't playing the way the opponent wants you to play.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,302

Post#23 » by boomershadow » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:00 pm

My real worry is that our offensive schemes just aren't creative enough to take full advantage of Turner and Sabonis's skills at once. Maybe not Turner at all.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#24 » by Jstock12 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Turner is not a guard. Bigs take much longer to develop. They reach their peak at 28-29 years old. Turner can still become much much better.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#25 » by Topofthekey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:18 am

Wizop wrote:it is all about scheme. they may not fit well together playing the schemes that work with Thad at 4, but use some imagination. zone? triangle? double post? smash mouth? I don't know what the answer is, but it isn't playing the way the opponent wants you to play.

Sent from my phone.

That's the thing

General consensus seems to be that Nate is a very good coach

But then some of his coaching decisions seems quite perplexing

The reluctance to find a way to play Myles and Sabonis and make the opponents deal with the mismatch is one

Playing a tight 8 man rotation early on in the season last season was another, as was the decision to not give Leaf much playing time

And the failure to adjust once Cavaliers started to double and trap Vic on almost every possession

It's strange
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Topofthekey » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:07 pm

Does a Myles Turner-Taurean Prince swap make any sense?

Sign Tobias Harris and Kemba Walker in the FA after that, and we are looking at a roster of:

Domas / KoQ (re-sign)
Harris / Leaf
Prince / Dougie
Vic / Sumner
Kemba / Holiday

That seems to be a much more promising lineup to me
Wizop
RealGM

Post#27 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:17 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Does a Myles Turner-Taurean Prince swap make any sense?

not to me. remember Myles is only 6 months older than Holliday.

Sent from my phone.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Topofthekey » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:34 pm

Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

If it's a matter of Myles having a higher ceiling than Prince, we can always get the Hawks to include a future 1RP with some kind of yearly declining protections

Prince isn't spectacular, but he's a good 3&D kind of player with some upside, and I believe he's still on his rookie scale contract; swapping Myles for him kills 2 birds with one stone in the sense that it allows Domas to start, while at the same time securing the SF position

And with the C, SF, and SG positions secured, it's just a matter of filling the PF and PG positions with FA; with Domas and Prince both still on their rookie scale contracts, Pacers should have enough cap space to sign both Tobias Harris and Kemba Walker; signing Harris probably wouldn't be difficult, given that he's not exactly a top tier FA, and he turned down a contract extension from the Clippers to chase after bigger money, so just throw money at him and he'll likely come
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#29 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:56 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

If it's a matter of Myles having a higher ceiling than Prince, we can always get the Hawks to include a future 1RP with some kind of yearly declining protections

Prince isn't spectacular, but he's a good 3&D kind of player with some upside, and I believe he's still on his rookie scale contract; swapping Myles for him kills 2 birds with one stone in the sense that it allows Domas to start, while at the same time securing the SF position

And with the C, SF, and SG positions secured, it's just a matter of filling the PF and PG positions with FA; with Domas and Prince both still on their rookie scale contracts, Pacers should have enough cap space to sign both Tobias Harris and Kemba Walker; signing Harris probably wouldn't be difficult, given that he's not exactly a top tier FA, and he turned down a contract extension from the Clippers to chase after bigger money, so just throw money at him and he'll likely come

Right now, since Myles signed his extension but it hasn’t kicked in yet, he’s subject to the Poison Pill Provision. This means, in a trade, Myles future average salary ($17.5m) counts fully as incoming salary for the Hawks, but only his current salary counts as outgoing for the Pacers ($3.4m). This makes it virtually impossible to structure a deal that works legally, barring a team with massive cap space or a large enough TPE. Atlanta is neither.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#30 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Scoot wrote:This makes it virtually impossible to structure a deal that works legally, barring a team with massive cap space or a large enough TPE. Atlanta is neither.

all true, but it doesn't matter. we're not breaking this team up.

Sent from my phone.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#31 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:25 pm

at the 4 minute mark of both the 1st and 3rd quarters last night, Sabonis came in and Turner did not go out. they didn't stay on the floor long together but whether this was because Myles needed rest or because the lineup wasn't clicking is anyone's guess.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#32 » by pacers33granger » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Wizop wrote:at the 4 minute mark of both the 1st and 3rd quarters last night, Sabonis came in and Turner did not go out. they didn't stay on the floor long together but whether this was because Myles needed rest or because the lineup wasn't clicking is anyone's guess.

Seems like Nate is giving them a couple plays here and there each night to see how it works in real games, which is encouraging. I'm pretty sure he did the same in a couple other games so far.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#33 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:46 pm

pacers33granger wrote: I'm pretty sure he did the same in a couple other games so far.

I am too, but last night I was there and not just watching on TV so it was easy to look at the clock and determine exactly when it happened. it was the 4 minute mark in each half.

Return to Indiana Pacers