The Doug Mcdermott Problem

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: The Doug Mcdermott Problem 

Post#41 » by Topofthekey » Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:47 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:I don't mean this in a critical way... just curious... why are you so hung up on who starts? Nate has shown that he will finish the game with different guys. Why does the 5 guys who get their names announced over the PA matter so much? Domas needs to play a little bit more I think we can all agree. I've just never really cared who has started. Ginobolli was certainly one of the Spurs best 5 players but came off the bench and it worked. So as long as guys are getting the appropriate minutes what does who starts matter?

Hmm, I can see how I might come across as a bit overzealous. But no, I agree that it really shouldn't matter much who gets announced as the starters

It's more about wanting to see a) an offense focused around Vic+Domas, and b) Doug being put to better use

This group of Pacers have a habit of struggling early on and falling behind by double digits, and the way it is now, Vic and Domas just don't get enough opportunity to work together; I think if Domas were in the starting lineup together with Vic, they are going to be a great duo, and I'd love to see them working the offense right from tip off; I think that'll really set the tone for the offense, and that's going to make it easier not only for them but for the others as well

Following that line of thought, I feel that Doug will likely benefit immensely from playing together with Vic and Domas as well; he gets his points from making cuts and/or catching and shooting, which he will likely have plenty of opportunity for if the defense had to focus on Vic and Domas, especially since he isn't shy about shooting the ball, so starting/simultaneously playing all three of Vic+Domas+Doug seems like it'll work out great

After that, it's just a matter of plugging in the other two starters who will complement this trio the best - maybe Myles (for rim protection & 3-pt shooting) and CoJo (for defense)?

So maybe something like: Myles / Domas / Doug / CoJo / Vic is what we're looking at

Yes, defense at SF is going to be a concern, but no I don't think it will be too huge a problem because a) Bogie isn't that much better, b) 2004 Pistons started Hamilton (a very one dimensional scorer) and were still one of the toughest defensive teams of that time so I think you're allowed one subpar defender in your lineup as long as the team as a whole plays good defense

That looks like a solid 5-man unit to me, but as mentioned over at the other thread, how will Bogie (and Thad and DC) react to coming off the bench is a question mark
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#42 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Dec 7, 2018 2:01 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:I don't mean this in a critical way... just curious... why are you so hung up on who starts? Nate has shown that he will finish the game with different guys. Why does the 5 guys who get their names announced over the PA matter so much? Domas needs to play a little bit more I think we can all agree. I've just never really cared who has started. Ginobolli was certainly one of the Spurs best 5 players but came off the bench and it worked. So as long as guys are getting the appropriate minutes what does who starts matter?

Hmm, I can see how I might come across as a bit overzealous. But no, I agree that it really shouldn't matter much who gets announced as the starters

It's more about wanting to see a) an offense focused around Vic+Domas, and b) Doug being put to better use

This group of Pacers have a habit of struggling early on and falling behind by double digits, and the way it is now, Vic and Domas just don't get enough opportunity to work together; I think if Domas were in the starting lineup together with Vic, they are going to be a great duo, and I'd love to see them working the offense right from tip off; I think that'll really set the tone for the offense, and that's going to make it easier not only for them but for the others as well

Following that line of thought, I feel that Doug will likely benefit immensely from playing together with Vic and Domas as well; he gets his points from making cuts and/or catching and shooting, which he will likely have plenty of opportunity for if the defense had to focus on Vic and Domas, especially since he isn't shy about shooting the ball, so starting/simultaneously playing all three of Vic+Domas+Doug seems like it'll work out great

After that, it's just a matter of plugging in the other two starters who will complement this trio the best - maybe Myles (for rim protection & 3-pt shooting) and CoJo (for defense)?

So maybe something like: Myles / Domas / Doug / CoJo / Vic is what we're looking at

Yes, defense at SF is going to be a concern, but no I don't think it will be too huge a problem because a) Bogie isn't that much better, b) 2004 Pistons started Hamilton (a very one dimensional scorer) and were still one of the toughest defensive teams of that time so I think you're allowed one subpar defender in your lineup as long as the team as a whole plays good defense

That looks like a solid 5-man unit to me, but as mentioned over at the other thread, how will Bogie (and Thad and DC) react to coming off the bench is a question mark

It will be interesting when Vic comes back if we see more of he and Domas. I understand wanting them paired together and it needs to happen more. I think one reason that Nate keeps them so staggered is because one or the other has to be on the floor at all times. They are the best creators of offense that we have on the team. That limits their time together. But I suspect we see a little more of that pairing when Vic comes back (whenever that may be).
AussiePacer
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#43 » by AussiePacer » Fri Dec 7, 2018 8:12 pm

I'd be very interested to see a line up with CoJo playing with Vic and both Bogie and Doug on the floor. We haven't seen much of Vic and Doug together yet, but I can see that becoming a dangerous offensive pairing, particularly when the defence needs to be mindful of Bogie, too.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#44 » by Vorda » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:15 pm

Is there somebody else with a great idea to bench Bogie?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#45 » by Wizop » Sun Dec 9, 2018 3:17 am

can we start to agree that there is no Dougie problem?

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#46 » by 8305 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 12:13 pm

Wizop wrote:can we start to agree that there is no Dougie problem?

Sent from my phone.

Other than him getting more minutes I don’t see a problem.

Return to Indiana Pacers