Should The Pacers Make A Move?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

pacerfan1984
Ballboy
And1: 16

Should The Pacers Make A Move? 

Post#1 » by pacerfan1984 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:45 pm

Listened to Grady yesterday and he thinks the Pacers will need to make an in season trade in order to keep up in the East. Thoughts?
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Re: Should The Pacers Make A Move? 

Post#2 » by Tom White » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:40 pm

They may well need to. Especially with the 76ers getting Butler.
Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#3 » by Lazlo4D » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:22 am

I don't think they will do anything till next summer. They will have huge cap room, can take on big contracts, be a facilitator of trades, etc... Personally I think they need a Scotty Pippen type player to help Oladipo. Kinda surprised they seemed to have little interest in Jimmy Butler but who knows. He will be a free agent next summer too, as of now.
There is a lot of talent they could push for next summer: Kemba Walker, Khris Middleton, Terry Rozier(R), Justise Winslow(R)
I think I'd trade anything and everything except Oladipo to get one of the of top few picks of next summers draft.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#4 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:36 am

I don't think they will. Step 1 is to get Tyreke and Dougie playing to their strengths. Butler would've been great but I really don't see a difference maker on the market for expirings.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Wizop wrote:I don't think they will. Step 1 is to get Tyreke and Dougie playing to their strengths. Butler would've been great but I really don't see a difference maker on the market for expirings.

Sent from my phone.

I agree. Unless a long term piece we really like comes up, I don’t necessarily see a move other than waiting for everyone to gel. I think it’s possible we make a move with either of Collison or Joseph, and maybe try and play Reke more minutes at the 1, using the expiring contracts of either of those two to add a long term piece.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Lazlo4D wrote:I don't think they will do anything till next summer. They will have huge cap room, can take on big contracts, be a facilitator of trades, etc... Personally I think they need a Scotty Pippen type player to help Oladipo. Kinda surprised they seemed to have little interest in Jimmy Butler but who knows. He will be a free agent next summer too, as of now.
There is a lot of talent they could push for next summer: Kemba Walker, Khris Middleton, Terry Rozier(R), Justise Winslow(R)
I think I'd trade anything and everything except Oladipo to get one of the of top few picks of next summers draft.

Winslow already extended In Miami, but yeah. Ton of flexibility and any of Kemba, Middleton, or Tobias would be solid additions. I’m not yet sold on Rozier and the associated cost of signing a RFA.
Lazlo4D
Sophomore

Post#7 » by Lazlo4D » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Winslow already extended In Miami, but yeah. Ton of flexibility and any of Kemba, Middleton, or Tobias would be solid additions. I’m not yet sold on Rozier and the associated cost of signing a RFA.

That's right, thanks, I forgot about that. Not a good move by Miami IMO. Pat Riley keeps doubling down with bad contracts and giving away draft picks. He is way overrated as a GM/Team President.

Pacers need to be aggressive next summer. When you draft in the upper to mid-teens, great prospects can fall to you in the draft. ( Danny Granger, Donovan Mitchell, Domantas Sabonis, Myles Turner, Terry Rozier, Gary Harris, etc...

But they rarely make all the down to when you are drafting the 20's.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Lazlo4D wrote:

That's right, thanks, I forgot about that. Not a good move by Miami IMO. Pat Riley keeps doubling down with bad contracts and giving away draft picks. He is way overrated as a GM/Team President.

Pacers need to be aggressive next summer. When you draft in the upper to mid-teens, great prospects can fall to you in the draft. ( Danny Granger, Donovan Mitchell, Domantas Sabonis, Myles Turner, Terry Rozier, Gary Harris, etc...

But they rarely make all the down to when you are drafting the 20's.

Winslow signed for 3/$39m which seems awful, but the last year is a team option, and Miami was already capped out for next year anyway, so it’s not as bad as it seems.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#9 » by Topofthekey » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:42 am

I'd like to model the current Pacers after the early 2000's Pistons - 3 scorers + 2 role players, excels in defense, no particular superstar but 5 players who all do their respective jobs very well

This is how I envision it for the current Pacers

Vic: offensive initiator, primary scorer, perimeter defense
Domas: post scoring, second scoring option, rebounds
Nikola Mirotic: third option, shooter, stretch 4
Taurean Prince: 3&D, supplementary scoring, perimeter defense
Ricky Rubio: defense, facilitator, (if only he could shoot better)

If Dan Burke could turn Bogie from defensive liability into a respectable defender, I think this starting 5 will give him plenty to work with. Other than Mirotic, they are all at least decent individual defenders, so it's not difficult to imagine him crafting a tough as nails squad from this five in terms of defense.

In terms of offense, there isn't a Durant-esque player among them, but the early millennium Pistons didn't need one as well. Vic and Domas can both get their own buckets, and Mirotic and Prince should be reliable supplementary scorers. Mirotic in particular has been playing well, but it is a contract year for him after all. I think he'll thrive as the 3rd option behind Vic and Domas

Taurean Prince had a blistering start to the season but he's cooled off somewhat, so maybe he could still be had for a reasonable price. What stood out to me about him was how he told his coach he wanted to excel without the ball, playing defense and being a facilitator. Of course he could be just paying lip service, but there's no reason to no give him the benefit of the doubt. In terms of what to trade for him, I'm not really sure what is his worth right now. Will Leaf + 1st do it? Maybe:

Pacers give: TJ Leaf, 2020 frp, 2019 srp
Hawks give: Taurean Prince

Hawks get more youth to play around with, and open up minutes at SF for Huerter

Mirotic and Rubio are both FA's, so Pacers could either wait till the off-season, or trade for them now to get an inside track of resigning them later. I don't think their respective teams are looking to move them though, so FA is probably the way to go

If we do trade for Mirotic though, maybe something along the lines of:

Pacers give: Bojan Bogdanovich, Kyle O Quinn
Pelicans give: Mirotic + salary filler

O Quinn should fill a hole for them at C, and Bogie is an upgrade over Wesley Johnson; still, not sure how much they value Mirotic though

As for Rubio, I'm not sure, maybe best bet is through FA
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#10 » by 8305 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:53 am

Depends on who is selling at the trade deadline. Our options are pretty limited because there isn’t that much value to our young guys. Given the non-existence of playing time given to our young guys and the likelihood that our 2019 1at will be in the twenties what can you get? Philly was able to get Butler because they had two relatively young valuable pieces to trade. Sabonis has played his way to near untouchable status.

Will Washington blow it up? And would Porter be on sale? Do the Clippers expect to resign Harris? Could we expect to resign Harris?
There would be some risk to chasing either of those guys.

Pacers have to be disappointed with McDermott and Evans so far. Evans has been pretty inconsistent and until Nate figures out how to get McD on the floor for more than 3 to 5 minutes at a time it’s unreasonable to think you will get anything for him. There simply aren’t enough minutes backing up the 2 and the 3 to work them both in and get the desired productivity.I
We might have the pieces right now, just have to figure out how to use them.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#11 » by Wizop » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:27 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I'd like to model the current Pacers after the early 2000's Pistons - 3 scorers + 2 role players, excels in defense, no particular superstar but 5 players who all do their respective jobs very well

I'm fine with the model but I don't see that we need 3 new players to get there.

we do have players who excel in defense. CoJo and Myles and Thad for sure. I get that some will be disappointed if Myles turns out to just be a rim protector but I don't think he'll be overpaid with this new contract even if that turns out to be true. Alize could also fit that role.

I see the two big questions as 1) whether Myles and Damos can learn to be effective together. the issue there is perimeter defense.I still think the answer to that is a zone defense but regardless it is way to early to say they can not. 2) whether Reke and Vic can learn to play together given that there is only one ball. I don't make a move before these questions are answered.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#12 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I'd like to model the current Pacers after the early 2000's Pistons - 3 scorers + 2 role players, excels in defense, no particular superstar but 5 players who all do their respective jobs very well

If Dan Burke could turn Bogie from defensive liability into a respectable defender, I think this starting 5 will give him plenty to work with. Other than Mirotic, they are all at least decent individual defenders, so it's not difficult to imagine him crafting a tough as nails squad from this five in terms of defense.

In terms of offense, there isn't a Durant-esque player among them, but the early millennium Pistons didn't need one as well. Vic and Domas can both get their own buckets, and Mirotic and Prince should be reliable supplementary scorers. Mirotic in particular has been playing well, but it is a contract year for him after all. I think he'll thrive as the 3rd option behind Vic and Domas

Taurean Prince had a blistering start to the season but he's cooled off somewhat, so maybe he could still be had for a reasonable price. What stood out to me about him was how he told his coach he wanted to excel without the ball, playing defense and being a facilitator. Of course he could be just paying lip service, but there's no reason to no give him the benefit of the doubt. In terms of what to trade for him, I'm not really sure what is his worth right now. Will Leaf + 1st do it? Maybe:

Mirotic and Rubio are both FA's, so Pacers could either wait till the off-season, or trade for them now to get an inside track of resigning them later. I don't think their respective teams are looking to move them though, so FA is probably the way to go

O Quinn should fill a hole for them at C, and Bogie is an upgrade over Wesley Johnson; still, not sure how much they value Mirotic though

I may be wrong but I don't see anyway that either of those teams go for the trades your purposed.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#13 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:51 pm

It depends what moves are available. Too open ended of a question. Make one just for sh**s and giggles no. If there is a trade to be had to improve our team than yes.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:28 pm

I don’t think Atlanta would give up Prince for anything short of Domas. That’s definitely not enough for them. they value him a ton.

And I don’t see us giving up on this season in November by dealing for another PF in Niko and then not having minutes to play him, Thad, Myles, and Dom, all while having our only SF as Doug McDermott.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,293

Post#15 » by boomershadow » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:31 pm

At he moment, I'm of the opinion that we are not at all making full use of the pieces that we currently have on the roster. I'm not opposed to making a move, but I also don't want to see us spend resources to acquire a player that we will also underutilize.

I think the first step should be to alter the rotation a bit.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#16 » by Vorda » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Mirotic is not upgrade over Bojan... I dont know why we would wnat him...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Vorda wrote:Mirotic is not upgrade over Bojan... I dont know why we would wnat him...

Mirotic is playing very well this year, but it’s hard to compare. Bogs is a 3. Mirotic is a 4. And Bogs and Dougie are our only 3’s.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#18 » by Gooner » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Lazlo4D wrote:I don't think they will do anything till next summer. They will have huge cap room, can take on big contracts, be a facilitator of trades, etc... Personally I think they need a Scotty Pippen type player to help Oladipo. Kinda surprised they seemed to have little interest in Jimmy Butler but who knows. He will be a free agent next summer too, as of now.

I agree, Rozier is solid point guard,but nothing special.I'm not sure he is really starting caliber point guard,and i don't even think he is better than Collison honestly.Solid shooter,but not that great.Average passer,not good at getting to the basket,which is why his shooting percentage is so poor.Signing him for big money would be a big mistake.Spencer Dinwiddie would be a better option in my opinion.He would cost less i'm sure.
Lazlo4D
Sophomore

Post#19 » by Lazlo4D » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Noticed over at Tankathon.com that 6 of the 7 worst records are from the Eastern Conf. Odds are that Zion Williamson and RJ Barrett are going to Eastern conference teams. Both those guys are guys to build a team around. So it is likely 2 EC teams could improve a lot next year. Atlanta could have 2 top ten picks.

June 1st the Pacers will have only 4 of their top 10 players under contract Oladipo, Turner, Sabonis, & McDermitt.

A lot of teams will have cap space this summer and the Pacers could be paying a lot more just to fill out their roster than this past summer. Could be slim pickings if they wait too long to make a plan.
Rafly
Starter
And1: 10,501

Post#20 » by Rafly » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:04 am

What do y’all think about making a move for Goran Dragic?

Return to Indiana Pacers