Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Re: I worry that the Pacers will sell out and keep everybody this summer 

Post#101 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:53 pm

HurricaneDij25 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
If carrying a burden guaranteed injury, Lebron would be missing both legs by now.

Harden scored like 300 straight unassisted points.

Yes, he too is prone to get hurt...And did in fact miss a significant chunk last year

He missed 10 games last year. I guess it depends on what you call a significant chunk. That is the most he has missed since arriving in Houston. He has played 78, 73, 81, 82, 81, 72.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#102 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:58 am

At some point, the Pacers will have to see if Leaf and Holiday can earn 20 minutes or more per game.

If those guys can produce, it would clear up some salary.

But the Pacers were in contention most of the season so difficult to try to develop young players, give them more minutes than they can spare.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,234

Post#103 » by boomershadow » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:49 pm

wco81 wrote:At some point, the Pacers will have to see if Leaf and Holiday can earn 20 minutes or more per game.

But the Pacers were in contention most of the season so difficult to try to develop young players, give them more minutes than they can spare.
That point should have been this season after Vic's injury. The only.....ONLY..... upside to the horrible situation of having your best player get hurt is the chance for young guys to step up and try to fill bigger shoes than they normally would get a chance to. That's how Paul George became Paul George.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#104 » by Wizop » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:14 pm

wco81 wrote:At some point, the Pacers will have to see if Leaf and Holiday can earn 20 minutes or more per game.

so how do you approach game 4? do you do the same thing again? Gold Don't Quit, or do you acknowledge that the series will not be won and use the game to give the the young players playoff experience?

by the way, after Nate said we don't have the pieces, I no longer think we'll stand pat this summer.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
wco81
RealGM

Post#105 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:43 pm

I don’t mean for this series.

But those young players have to train all summer and try to give coaches and front office reasons to depend on them and letting some vets go.

It’s a risk but being a first round exit next year is not that much to risk.

If Vic didn’t get injured, they might have kept #3, probably beat Brooklyn, then face Toronto?

This roster with all those free agents to be may pretty much be near the ceiling.

Unfortunately a lot of these personnel decisions, esp. the free agents, have to be made in July.

How much confidence that Vic will be completely ready at start of season?

If Vic isn’t going to be ready until the new year, then maybe don’t commit a lot of money in free agency, either to keep own UfAs or sign others.

OTOH, 2021 FA class isn’t expected to be as strong.

Tough situation, but that’s true of so many teams this summer.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#106 » by Topofthekey » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Wizop wrote:so how do you approach game 4? do you do the same thing again? Gold Don't Quit, or do you acknowledge that the series will not be won and use the game to give the the young players playoff experience?

by the way, after Nate said we don't have the pieces, I no longer think we'll stand pat this summer.

Two things:
-Pacers are now one game away from ending their season
-Pacers signed Wes Mathews in a bid to stay competitive

Pulling the vets and playing the young players now of all time just screams "OK we give up"

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but they really should have given bigger roles to the young players the moment Vic got injured, instead of being stubborn about following the original trajectory for the team's season

You say that's giving up, I say that's the team giving the young players a vote of confidence to step up

Signing Wes was, in anyway, telling them that the team does not trust them in times of crisis

But here we are, facing a sweep anyway, wondering if things would have been different if the young players were given a chance earlier this season; as someone mentioned, that's how stars are made sometimes

Anyway it really doesn't make a difference right now

One or two games of experience isn't going to make much impact on their development, might as well just play out the final game or two of the season and then focus on free agency

I really, really hope the team does not get shortsighted again, this FA season is going to shape the team's fortunes for the next few seasons
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#107 » by Wizop » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:59 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I really, really hope the team does not get shortsighted again, this FA season is going to shape the team's fortunes for the next few seasons
I hope the draft is more important.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
wco81
RealGM

Post#108 » by wco81 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:43 pm

So Collison retires, Bojan goes to Jazz, Thaddeus to Chicago.

But the Pacers acquire Warren, trade for Brogdon, sign Lamb.

Interesting moves, with the other teams in the EC making moves.

$21 million seems a bit high for Brogdon. Maybe Warren and Lamb will make up for the scoring loss of Bojan.

With Young gone, they're going to play Sabonis and Turner together more?

I like it on paper. Great to see a smaller market team trying to compete.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#109 » by Jake0890 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:45 pm

RE: the title of this thread... it seems there is no reason to worry - Pacers might not re-sign anybody this summer, lol.
wco81
RealGM

Post#110 » by wco81 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:52 pm

But you can't say they just stood pat, either letting guys go or not trying to improve the team.

The new guys may or may not work out as well. But they're taking a swing, not standing with the bat on the shoulder.

Return to Indiana Pacers