Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Game Thread 01/31: Pacers vs. Magic 

Post#21 » by pacers33granger » Fri Feb 1, 2019 7:46 pm

Jake0890 wrote:
We’ll see, but if something doesn’t change I won’t be the only one to suggest it’s time to make a change.

The biggest issue I see, besides Simon paying for Nate's contract and another coach, is that there may not be a better option out there. Maybe there is as I don't know much about assistants around the league, but it seems all of the "good" coaches are more than locked in with their franchises for now.

Unless we take a chance on someone like Stackhouse, we're likely looking at retread candidates (like Nate). Which is why guys like Steve Clifford get second chances even though they did nothing to inspire confidence before.

There's also something to be said for our lack of perimeter defense with Vic out. Nate's "system" relies quite a bit on creating opportunities off of defensive pressure and our current guys can't do that outside of Holiday who doesn't know how to effectively do it. Wish there was a way to get Marcus Smart (for a variety of reasons). Not that it's not a major issue that we have no real offense because of this, but Vic being out has hurt us big there.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#22 » by Pacers_Freak » Sat Feb 2, 2019 4:55 am

Jake0890 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:this is bad.

we obviously weren't going to be contending for anything legitimate without Victor... but this is another level of disappointment. We played fine without Vic when he was temporarily hurt earlier this season.

If we're being honest, this is showing Nate's failings. He's been propped up by team culture and Vic and now that it's on him to find ways to creatively score the ball, it's not happening.

If this continues, it might be time for Nate to go.

Jake love all your posts on here. Full disclosure I'm far from a Nate fanboy but I think we need to pump the breaks on sending him out the door because of the recent games. First of all you said propped up by team culture. IMO that is the number one job of a head coach is to create that culture. KP has given him great locker room guys but you have to give some of the credit of the team culture to Nate. We have a lot of solid ball players, but Vic and Tyreke are the only true creators on this team. Domas is but he needs someone to play in the P&R and P&P to be a creator. Vic and Tyreke are really are only effective P&R and P&P players. Basically offensively right now he is trying to make chicken salad out of chicken s***. Also, keep in mind the team has not had much time to make adjustments. Vic went down and Tyreke stepped into his role. Then Tyreke goes down and the team played Monday, Wednesday, Thursday. Not a lot of time for adjustments. Like it or not we are/were a P&R and P&P team and when you lose the 2 guys that can play that with no practice time the offense is going to struggle. I hate watching the PAcers lose as much as the next guy, there are plenty of things I don't agree with Nate on, but I think to put this skid on him is unfair IMO.

All I’m saying is that if Nate’s entire offensive strategy is based on a pick and roll set and he can’t adapt to score the ball without an elite PnR ballhandler than he’s not a coach I want to have long term.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for now as he just may not have had time to implement a new offensive strategy.

But I will say even with Vic here we are about the least creative offensive teams in the league. What, we added some pin downs to get Doug open off screens this year. That’s about it.

We’ll see, but if something doesn’t change I won’t be the only one to suggest it’s time to make a change.[/quote]

I don't disagree with that assessment. Over time I agree. I'm just not ready to jump ship with 3 games in 4 days with little time for adjustment. You very well maybe right. I share some of your sentiment. Just deserves time IMO. Like I said carry on with your posts (not like you need my permission) but I'm a big fan.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#23 » by boomershadow » Sat Feb 2, 2019 2:02 pm

Our lack of an offensive system has been disappointing for a few years now.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#24 » by pacers33granger » Sat Feb 2, 2019 4:20 pm

boomershadow wrote:Our lack of an offensive system has been disappointing for a few years now.
Hard to remember the last time we had one. Vogel had nothing on that end and Obriens was just to jack threes.

Return to Indiana Pacers