Surely the Pacers could have made a better off for Porzingis than the Mavs did

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Surely the Pacers could have made a better off for Porzingis than the Mavs did 

Post#1 » by boomershadow » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:51 pm

Couldn't they? I mean, really, there are lots of expiring contracts on this team and several young guys I rate better than DSJ.

Should they have been willing to part with either Turner or Sabonis? Would that have been a wise move?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: Surely the Pacers could have made a better off for Porzingis than the Mavs did 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Fri Feb 1, 2019 12:08 am

Knicks wanted cap room in summer, not talent.

was there anyone in the deal you'd have wanted in a 3 way?

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: Surely the Pacers could have made a better off for Porzingis than the Mavs did 

Post#3 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Feb 1, 2019 1:26 am

KP has stated that he's only signing the QO with Dallas and wants to test free agency. So no I wouldn't want to get in on a bidding war. Maybe we look at him summer 2020.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#4 » by Topofthekey » Fri Feb 1, 2019 2:49 am

boomershadow wrote:Couldn't they? I mean, really, there are lots of expiring contracts on this team and several young guys I rate better than DSJ.

Should they have been willing to part with either Turner or Sabonis? Would that have been a wise move?

It's a really tough call

Both Myles and Domas have got plenty of ceiling left, while with Porzingis you're just hoping he'd come back where he left off

It also doesn't make it any easier that both Myles and Domas are very likable players who play hard and love being part of the team
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 276

Post#5 » by HurricaneDij25 » Fri Feb 1, 2019 7:36 am

boomershadow wrote:Should they have been willing to part with either Turner or Sabonis?

No. For one, they would not have taken Turner's contract. And no, I would not have given up Sabonis for a package that would have included the contracts of Hardaway/Lee. Too much risk.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#6 » by pacers33granger » Fri Feb 1, 2019 3:15 pm

Yeah we could have in a vacuum, but not for what NY wanted. We'd be taking on a boat load of money, giving up a prospect (Domas likely), and then a couple of picks in the hopes that KP resigns in Indy, which seems doubtful. Plus there's the whole risk of maxing a 7'3 guy coming off a major injury.
BooomBaby
Junior
And1: 198

Post#7 » by BooomBaby » Sat Feb 2, 2019 8:14 pm

Porzingis is damage goods, and a 7'3 guy like that will only get worse not better. Also, the guy is too self-entitled as shown, so even if it could've been done, I'm glad that it didn't.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Feb 2, 2019 9:06 pm

BooomBaby wrote:Porzingis is damage goods, and a 7'3 guy like that will only get worse not better. Also, the guy is too self-entitled as shown, so even if it could've been done, I'm glad that it didn't.

It was just an ACL injury. Pretty common, and not career threatening in the least.

As for getting worse? Well, he's never played with a Luka Doncic in the NBA. I'm sure he'll look just fine for a long time. And what makes him self-entitled? I just haven't seen anything of the sort. The questioning the Knicks about the management of the franchise? Well, he's certainly not alone in that :dontknow:
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#9 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 5:09 am

The biggest risk with Kristaps is the risk he signs some place else. Funny all the Knicks fans were so high on him and now they all say he's trash.

The mention of trading Myles for him is a non-starter he's a PPP and that is too hard to trade. No way do I want Hardaway!!

Return to Indiana Pacers