Zach LaVine

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Zach LaVine 

Post#1 » by SmashMouthRod » Mon Feb 4, 2019 1:50 pm

With the recent struggles at the two spot and long term I have been thinking it may make some sense to kick the tires on LaVine. Despite the great early record with Oladipo, It seems Collison and Evans have both struggled next to Vic. Cojo has been up and down which is his norm. Vic plays with the basketball in his hands often enough that the team should consider slotting him in at point guard. Which would then make more sense to add an attack guard like him (LaVine) right next to him. It could be a home run pickup for now and later; considering how Zach can aid in scoring and help finish out the season strong. Additionally the team would have the potential explosive upside of him and Vic together to look forward to in the next season. Possible a Leaf/Holiday, contract filler and a pick gets it done? Thoughts

Collison
LaVine
Bogs
Thad
Turner

Next Season

Oladipo
LaVine
Maybe Bogs???
Thad???
Turner/Sabonis
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Re: Zach LaVine 

Post#2 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Feb 4, 2019 2:12 pm

Don't hate it at all. I'm fearful your offer may come up short with him having 3 years left on his deal.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 4, 2019 3:35 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote: Possible a Leaf/Holiday, contract filler and a pick gets it done? Thoughts

I'm thinking we don't have contracts bad enough to match salaries for LaVine's long-term deal. He puts up points, but he gives up so many more. He has, quite possibly, the worst defensive instincts and the worst defensive work ethic in the league at the guard spots right now. And there's really no hope for that to improve. He's the Jabari Parker of guards. No interest. Certainly not at the point of giving up our last two 1sts and a future one.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#4 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Feb 4, 2019 3:49 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote: Possible a Leaf/Holiday, contract filler and a pick gets it done? Thoughts

I'm thinking we don't have contracts bad enough to match salaries for LaVine's long-term deal. He puts up points, but he gives up so many more. He has, quite possibly, the worst defensive instincts and the worst defensive work ethic in the league at the guard spots right now. And there's really no hope for that to improve. He's the Jabari Parker of guards. No interest. Certainly not at the point of giving up our last two 1sts and a future one.

I agree with your assessment of Mr. Lavine. I'm always curious about someone who has been playing on bad teams and probably not held accountable for their short comings on the defense end, and then what happens if they are put into the Pacers culture. Look at bogey for instance, not thought of as a defensive player at all and then comes here and he now has a defensive reputation. It's hard to show up and play D when you are 12-41.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#5 » by winter_mute_13 » Tue Feb 5, 2019 3:12 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:I agree with your assessment of Mr. Lavine. I'm always curious about someone who has been playing on bad teams and probably not held accountable for their short comings on the defense end, and then what happens if they are put into the Pacers culture. Look at bogey for instance, not thought of as a defensive player at all and then comes here and he now has a defensive reputation. It's hard to show up and play D when you are 12-41.

That's true, but recall that we signed Bogey as a FA, on a bargain contract. LaVine is on a largish contract, and we'd have to give up trade assets besides. Different levels of risk there.

I'm ok with acquiring players that may need to be coached up, but they better come cheap, LOL.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#6 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Feb 5, 2019 3:25 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Bulls fans gripe about him all the time.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:02 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I agree with your assessment of Mr. Lavine. I'm always curious about someone who has been playing on bad teams and probably not held accountable for their short comings on the defense end, and then what happens if they are put into the Pacers culture. Look at bogey for instance, not thought of as a defensive player at all and then comes here and he now has a defensive reputation. It's hard to show up and play D when you are 12-41.

Bogey wasn't good on defense before he came here and bought in. Lavine is historically bad, and has nothing to build on, and has no interest in ever learning. To me, it's different. And, at almost $20m a year for 3 more years after this one, that's a huge hole to build around, at PG when he's really a pure SG, for a long time, while losing ammo to actually do so.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#8 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:32 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

He's the Jabari Parker of guards. No interest. Certainly not at the point of giving up our last two 1sts and a future one.

The Jabari Parker of guards!! He must be freaking awesome! :D
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#9 » by Vorda » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:59 am

We dont need him... we need guard who can play defense...
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#10 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:26 pm

Vorda wrote:We dont need him... we need guard who can play defense...

Holiday, Sumner, CoJo, and Vic all defend.

please don't make this into a DC bashing opportunity.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Vorda
Senior

Post#11 » by Vorda » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:31 pm

Wizop wrote:

DC is free agent... only someone crazy would sign him

Poslano sa mog SM-A510F koristeći Tapatalk
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#12 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:40 pm

Vorda wrote:
Wizop wrote:

DC is free agent... only someone crazy would sign him

I'll bet you any amount of money that you would like that DC has a job somewhere next year.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#13 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:50 pm

Vorda wrote:DC is free agent... only someone crazy would sign him

that depends upon the price. at this point, I'd bet that DC or CoJo returns but not both. still I'd put the odds of both returning ahead of the odds of neither doing so.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Vorda
Senior

Post#14 » by Vorda » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:52 pm

Wizop wrote:

that depends upon the price. at this point, I'd bet that DC or CoJo returns but not both. still I'd put the odds of both returning ahead of the odds of neither doing so.

If we want to be contender we will sign better player... DC or Cojo can be on the bench... thats fine to me

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 6, 2019 3:25 pm

Vorda wrote:
Wizop wrote:

If we want to be contender we will sign better player... DC or Cojo can be on the bench... thats fine to me

Remember, we can plan on signing whomever we want. That doesn't mean that they will reciprocate and sign here too.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#16 » by pacers33granger » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:16 pm

You will be sorely disappointed if you think we will sign a better starter than DC. He's not a good starter, but he's starting level, and this free agency class is lacking in those. Take out Kyrie, Kemba, and Russel who won't be coming here and you've got left:

Jeremy Lin
Terry Rozier
Isaiah Thomas
Ish Smith
Patrick Beverly
Rajon Rondo
Eric Bledsoe
Tyus Jones
Derrick Rose
Emmanuel Mudiay
TJ McConnell
Delon Wright
Ricky Rubio

And a bunch of guys who aren't worth mentioning. DC is better than nearly all of those guys except Bledsoe and maybe Rubio (who has been pretty bad this year though) and Rose. The others are 100% not starting guards in this league.

Return to Indiana Pacers