2019 Off-Season Questions

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#21 » by Wizop » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:24 pm

Does anyone think we'll let any of our free agents walk if we can sign them for no more than just a bit over the MLE?

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#22 » by pacers33granger » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:48 pm

Wizop wrote:Does anyone think we'll let any of our free agents walk if we can sign them for no more than just a bit over the MLE?

Sent from my phone.

Thad and Bogie are priced way above that. DC/Cojo/Evans, not really. Big thing is we have no use for two of the PGs and DC is the better one, plus CoJo may take less or similar elsewhere if they promise him a starting spot.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#23 » by Tom White » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:48 pm

Wizop wrote:Does anyone think we'll let any of our free agents walk if we can sign them for no more than just a bit over the MLE?

Sent from my phone.

I think getting SOME of them for close to the MLE may wind up being wishful thinking.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#24 » by winter_mute_13 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:01 am

pacers33granger wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Thad and Bogie are priced way above that. DC/Cojo/Evans, not really. Big thing is we have no use for two of the PGs and DC is the better one, plus CoJo may take less or similar elsewhere if they promise him a starting spot.

Yeah. I have Thad in the $15-20m range, and Bogie has probably played his way to $20m+. I think Evans is gone regardless.

I get what you're saying about DC, but the point guard spot is probably the easiest to upgrade as well, certainly easier than SF. Dunno, maybe like Vorda I just have an irrational dislike for DC :D
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#25 » by pacers33granger » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Yeah. I have Thad in the $15-20m range, and Bogie has probably played his way to $20m+. I think Evans is gone regardless.

I get what you're saying about DC, but the point guard spot is probably the easiest to upgrade as well, certainly easier than SF. Dunno, maybe like Vorda I just have an irrational dislike for DC :D

Yeah we're looking at 35-40 mil easy for Thad/Bogie. As long as they're short deals, I'll gladly pay that.

Totally agree that the PG spot is the easiest to upgrade and deepest position in the league. I'm not a huge DC fan, he is what he is which is a bottom 5 starter. But outside of Bledsoe and Kemba, he's better than all other FA options this summer unfortunately (of course the hope is that Holiday is the upgrade within a year or two). And I honestly don't even consider CoJo a PG, he's an undersized SG.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#26 » by Wizop » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:06 am

Tom White wrote:

Sent from my phone.

I think getting SOME of them for close to the MLE may wind up being wishful thinking.
oh, I agree with that but that wasn't my question. I asked whether there was anyone you wanted out of here so badly that price wasn't an issue. for example, I doubt Vorda would give DC the MLE. Evans needs to step up to convince me. etc.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#27 » by Vorda » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:19 am

Wizop wrote:
Ruaidri wrote:Joseph will leave to make room for Holiday and Sumner.

possible, but he's younger than DC and one of our better defenders. he also rebounds well for his position.

I just cant disagree with this...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#28 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Vorda wrote:Why did we sign Doug for 3 years? We could trade him for some 2nd round picks and free 7 mil and give that money to Wes...

It sounds silly, but they play very different roles. Wes is a 2 guard. Doug is a 3. Signing Wes replaces Tyreke. We'd then still have to replace Doug again, likely with the room exception.

Vorda wrote:And why do we have Monta Ellis on salary???????

Good question. Some have answered it, but we waived him several years ago and had the choice to either take his entire guaranteed salary hit in the years that his money was assigned ($11.7m, and then $0). When we waived him, he technically had 2 years left, but we waived him the season before he could exercise his player option (specific to his deal, that's not generally how player options work), so we decided to stretch his $11.7m, where you can choose to stretch that same cap hit of $11.7m over the length remaining on the contract, times 2, plus 1 year. So, 2 years remaining became a stretch of 5 years (2 x 2 = 4 + 1 = 5). We could have just taken the hit of $11.7m that summer, and then it would have been gone, but by stretching it, we were able to then sign Bojan and Collison. Without stretching it, we wouldn't have had the money to then sign Bojan Bogdanovic after the Wizards agreed to rescind his qualifying offer. Collison had agreed on July 3rd that year. Bogdanovic wasn't an unrestricted free agent until July 7, and agreed with the Pacers later that day.

So, if Monta Ellis wasn't still on our books, Bojan Bogdanovic would not be.
Cresy06
Junior
And1: 457

Post#29 » by Cresy06 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:12 pm

Is there any decent way for us to acquire Jrue Holiday??

I keep thinking about that David West signing that made us a real contender all of a sudden. This time we do not need a tough big Frontcourt player, but we need a really tough and big Guard. Jrue Holiday is not in a good situation and is still only 28 years old, so he would fit the timeline. Also we already got his younger brother who could learn a lot from playing with his older brother.

Could we eat his contract at all?
It would probably kill our cap flexibility for the foreseeable future and it probably will make us go over the cap, especially once Domas is up for extension

Is there any other big guard available that is tough minded, good on D and fits the timeline? I think it is all we need to really get to the next level
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#30 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 pm

Cresy06 wrote:Is there any decent way for us to acquire Jrue Holiday??

I keep thinking about that David West signing that made us a real contender all of a sudden. This time we do not need a tough big Frontcourt player, but we need a really tough and big Guard. Jrue Holiday is not in a good situation and is still only 28 years old, so he would fit the timeline. Also we already got his younger brother who could learn a lot from playing with his older brother.

It would probably kill our cap flexibility for the foreseeable future and it probably will make us go over the cap, especially once Domas is up for extension

Is there any other big guard available that is tough minded, good on D and fits the timeline? I think it is all we need to really get to the next level

The problem with Jrue is going to be the assets given up to get him. I'm not so sure Myles or Domas doesn't have to leave town for him to get here.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:58 pm

Cresy06 wrote:Is there any decent way for us to acquire Jrue Holiday??

We could absorb him without sending back any contracts this summer if we were willing to move on from most of our vets. And I think if we offered up Sabonis, we’d have one of the most valuable pieces offered up for Holiday. But, it’d probably take some combo of Dom/Aaron Holiday to do something. Maybe we pay less if we’re willing to eat Solo’s deal, but that would guarantee all our free agents would be gone, too.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#32 » by pacers33granger » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:52 pm

I don't see why anyone would think it's a good idea to trade Domas for Holiday, especially when we'd be giving up multiple other pieces to match salary. He's a great player and I'd love to have him, but he's just not worth that much imo.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:31 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I don't see why anyone would think it's a good idea to trade Domas for Holiday, especially when we'd be giving up multiple other pieces to match salary. He's a great player and I'd love to have him, but he's just not worth that much imo.

In theory, this summer we can make a deal legally work of just Dom for Jrue, using cap space, if we can retain Bojan’s cap hold, and sign Thad starting as much as around $15-16m (which lowers his $20m cap hold). It’s close enough that including either our 1st or TJ Leaf definitely makes it work fiscally. We would then have the room exception and BAE available to us to fill out the roster. We could then afford to renounce Collison and CoJo as we’d have the Holiday brother handling the 1.

Obviously, that disregards the rest of the conversation of whether or not we should. But, in terms of what we’d sacrifice, it’s not necessarily too much.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#34 » by pacers33granger » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:42 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:I don't see why anyone would think it's a good idea to trade Domas for Holiday, especially when we'd be giving up multiple other pieces to match salary. He's a great player and I'd love to have him, but he's just not worth that much imo.

In theory, this summer we can make a deal legally work of just Dom for Jrue, using cap space, if we can retain Bojan’s cap hold, and sign Thad starting as much as around $15-16m (which lowers his $20m cap hold). It’s close enough that including either our 1st or TJ Leaf definitely makes it work fiscally. We would then have the room exception and BAE available to us to fill out the roster. We could then afford to renounce Collison and CoJo as we’d have the Holiday brother handling the 1.

Obviously, that disregards the rest of the conversation of whether or not we should. But, in terms of what we’d sacrifice, it’s not necessarily too much.

Yeah it can be done, but it would take a bit of maneuvering and it could basically all fall apart if Thad wants more, which wouldn't be that unreasonable. Even then though, we're essentially trading Domas, DC, CoJo, Tyreke, KOQ, and one of Leaf or our pick for Holiday. Of course, a lot of those are cap holds so we may lose the guys anyway, but I think we have a good chance of retaining all of the ones we really want to without issue. It's still a lot and leaves us with some holes:

Holiday/Holiday
Vic/Sumner
Bogie/Doug
Thad/Leaf/Alize
Myles/

We'd need more than the BAE to really fill out that bench properly unless Matthews comes back for the minimum or something. If Aaron, Sumner, and/or Leaf make a leap, maybe it works out, but I wouldn't bet on that. And that doesn't get into the fact that Vic likely won't be back day 1, so we'd have almost no guard depth left to start the season.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#35 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:23 am

Vorda wrote:
Wizop wrote:I'd rate the odds on keeping DC and CoJo much higher. Our young guards aren't ready to start and we have great chemistry which would we shouldn't put at risk lightly.

Sent from my phone.

But we have a lot cap space... I think quality is more importante than chemistry... DC is old and not good enough to be starter at contending team... with Irving, Kemba or Bledsoe we would be top team... we should resign Thad, Bojan and CoJo, sign Kemba.. we should see how will Matthews fit here... maybe we could sign Ariza as a back up for Bojan...

Kemba , CoJo, Holliday
Oladipo, Matthews
Bojan, Doug?
Thad, Leaf
Turner, Sabonis

I'm the GM and I'm not giving $32 million to Kemba Walker! :crazy:
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#36 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:27 am

Vorda wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Vorda wrote:

But we have a lot cap space... I think quality is more importante than chemistry... DC is old and not good enough to be starter at contending team... with Irving, Kemba or Bledsoe we would be top team... we should resign Thad, Bojan and CoJo, sign Kemba.. we should see how will Matthews fit here... maybe we could sign Ariza as a back up for Bojan...

Kemba , CoJo, Holliday
Oladipo, Matthews
Bojan, Doug?
Thad, Leaf
Turner, Sabonis

In order to use max cap space to sign a Kemba Walker, we can maybe only bring back one of our own free agents, and only if they make less than $12m. Bring back Bojan = no max free agent (no Kemba). And no Thad.

How?

We are on 58 mil next season... if we give Kemba 25, that will be 83... cap is 109... so we can give 13 to Bogie and Thad...

Why did we sign Doug for 3 years? We could trade him for some 2nd round picks and free 7 mil and give that money to Wes...

And why do we have Monta Ellis on salary???????

Monta is coming back next year! :lol:

Not really he was bought out and stretched. This is why I hate the stretch.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#37 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:33 am

Sent from my phone.

Well probably bring them back unless some team goes crazy and over pays them. I don't see how we can go nuts and give a Kemba or Middleton a max contract that's not smart and irresponsible.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#38 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:41 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I would not want to give up Sabonis, I do like Jrue and it would be interesting to see the brothers on the same team with the older Holiday as the mentor to his little bro. I don't see how the Pels do it without Dom and #1 that leaves us with Leaf at PF and what? Could we get Thad back, only if no one else tries to sign him.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#39 » by Gooner » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:31 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I would not want to give up Sabonis, I do like Jrue and it would be interesting to see the brothers on the same team with the older Holiday as the mentor to his little bro. I don't see how the Pels do it without Dom and #1 that leaves us with Leaf at PF and what? Could we get Thad back, only if no one else tries to sign him.

Domas has to stay, i agree. Even Oladipo said that he and Myles both need to stay. They can play together, i have no doubt, Nate just has to trust it. I see Olynik playing the 4, i see Plumlee and Jokic playing together, so why wouldn't Domas be able to play the 4? Remember, both Myles and Domas played power forward in their rookie seasons.

I expect Domas to start next season, even if Thad stays. Right now, he doesn't start, and he doesnt' finish, so he doesn't get the minutes he deserves. That's why i think Pritchard will tell Nate to start Domas, but Thad can still finish games because of his defensive versatility.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#40 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Ok I'll jump in on this who we gonna get talk.

I'd like to go after Brogdon. Two reasons:

1) Milwaukee has to resign Middleton and Bledsoe, Brogdon is an RFA I think. I've got them at about $54 million right now that's with Hill's $1 million buyout, and middleton opting out. They resign him to $30 million and Bledsoe to $25 million puts them right at $110 million. They're gonna want to bring back Lopez I'm guessing they use the part of MLE. **IF we offer Brogdon $15-17 million day one can they match it without going deep in the tax?

2)Brogdon would be great with Victor look at his numbers, and he's only 26 same age as Vic.

Return to Indiana Pacers