Image

2019 Off-Season Questions

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, Jake0890, pacerfan, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Senior
Posts: 562
And1: 193
Joined: Nov 18, 2017

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#521 » by Topofthekey » Fri May 31, 2019 5:04 am

I think two max contracts is do-able

Assuming Vic and another star make about 35m each or 70m combined, and Myles and Domas each make 18m, or 36m combined, that's 106m in salaries in total

Depending on what the salary cap is, that'll still leave the team with 10-15m to fill out 2 spots, before needing to exceed the salary cap

In other words, that's already 6 players under contract; sign another productive player with the exception so that's 7 players

Now here comes the key part: if the team also has say 2 productive players on cheap rookies deals, you're looking at a 9 productive players, before needing to dip into vets on minimum deals

This is why it's so important to have productive players on rookie scale contracts, and why I am more than a little upset that the team has been quite terrible at developing Leaf and to a lesser extent Holiday
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,380
And1: 3,014
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#522 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 31, 2019 1:06 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I think two max contracts is do-able

Assuming Vic and another star make about 35m each or 70m combined, and Myles and Domas each make 18m, or 36m combined, that's 106m in salaries in total

Depending on what the salary cap is, that'll still leave the team with 10-15m to fill out 2 spots, before needing to exceed the salary cap

In other words, that's already 6 players under contract; sign another productive player with the exception so that's 7 players

Now here comes the key part: if the team also has say 2 productive players on cheap rookies deals, you're looking at a 9 productive players, before needing to dip into vets on minimum deals

This is why it's so important to have productive players on rookie scale contracts, and why I am more than a little upset that the team has been quite terrible at developing Leaf and to a lesser extent Holiday



The new tv deals have already hit the books and the cap isn’t projected to climb the next couple years like it has the last couple years. In your projection, you’re likely at the cap line (or within $5m of it) with 4 guys. Add one MLE type guy in a span of those 4 years, a couple rookie contracts, and maybe a BAE guy in 4 years, and you’re straddling the tax line pretty quickly. Moreso of Dom takes $20m or $22m which, just nba inflation would say is likely.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,380
And1: 3,014
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#523 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 31, 2019 1:07 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Really if we had kept Lance he would have been far and away our 2nd best bench player this season and it wouldn't have been particularly close.


Doesn’t really say much, but I’m not super sure Lance had a great season, either. Always worries me when guys play more efficient by playing, and shooting, less.

I just don’t love the concept of Lance taking the ball out of Aaron’s, or Vic’s, hands to play his 1 on 5 hero ball.


He had a bad season, which is why we should be able to get him cheap, but everyone on that team had a bad season. I don't think there could have been a worse on court fit for Lance if you really tried. I might still take LA Lance over the majority of our bench last year either way.

I think the problem comes down to the fact that our system is largely hero ball on offense. I'm not a fan of it whatsoever, but at least Lance passes and tries on defense. Truth be told, I'm suspect that the concept will be to give Holiday the ball off the bench and let him chuck (part of the reason I say just let him start).

I'm really not a huge proponent of Lance, but I do not see a better option out there unless we spread our space around, which I hate as an option. Would much rather have 1 Kemba and 4 vet min guys than 5 Dougs.



I would be seeing what guys like Seth Curry or Justin Holiday would be looking for well before circling back around on Lance.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 11,722
And1: 4,726
Joined: Sep 26, 2006
 

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#524 » by pacers33granger » Fri May 31, 2019 2:29 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I would be seeing what guys like Seth Curry or Justin Holiday would be looking for well before circling back around on Lance.


Holiday may be a good option, though he strikes me as the type of guy we end up wasting. Curry is definitely getting MLE offers, which may be too rich for us.

Like I said though, I'm not a big fan of grabbing multiple role players over a star or near star. You can always find vet depth cheap. We certainly could have found someone much cheaper to give us what Doug did last year for example.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,380
And1: 3,014
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#525 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:58 pm

Boneman2
General Manager
Posts: 7,618
And1: 987
Joined: Jul 07, 2003
Location: Indy
       

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#526 » by Boneman2 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 3:36 pm

Pritchard needs a point guard to make Sabonis' p&r a reliable weapon.

list:
Rozier
DRussell
KDunn (cap space)
Elfrid
IT
Rondo
Rubio
Brogdon (RFA)
George Hill (released)
Collison (Bring him back)
Schroeder

There is a lot of point guard talent available. Based off the above DRuss would be my choice followed by Brogdon but both of these guys are about to be massively overpaid so I'd pass. Rondo could run the p&r with Sabonis but he is too old. I am back on the Elfrid Payton wagon. He will be relatively cheap and he sounds like the perfect point guard to pair with Sabonis. Check out this article by Hoopshype's Bryan Kalbrasky.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/03/20/new-orleans-pelicans-elfrid-payton-triple-double-scouting-report-analysis/

When breaking down his success, one of the first things that pops out is his effectiveness creating out of the pick-and-roll. There, his numbers begin to jump off the page and show why he’s been so productive as of late.


when tasked with high pick-and-roll plays, Payton has risen to the occasion with extraordinary success.


If adding him improves Sabonis then it's a win-win
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Pacers_Freak
Starter
Posts: 2,202
And1: 1,922
Joined: Oct 06, 2016
   

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#527 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:39 pm

Boneman2 wrote:Pritchard needs a point guard to make Sabonis' p&r a reliable weapon.

list:
Rozier
DRussell
KDunn (cap space)
Elfrid
IT
Rondo
Rubio
Brogdon (RFA)
George Hill (released)
Collison (Bring him back)
Schroeder

There is a lot of point guard talent available. Based off the above DRuss would be my choice followed by Brogdon but both of these guys are about to be massively overpaid so I'd pass. Rondo could run the p&r with Sabonis but he is too old. I am back on the Elfrid Payton wagon. He will be relatively cheap and he sounds like the perfect point guard to pair with Sabonis. Check out this article by Hoopshype's Bryan Kalbrasky.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/03/20/new-orleans-pelicans-elfrid-payton-triple-double-scouting-report-analysis/

When breaking down his success, one of the first things that pops out is his effectiveness creating out of the pick-and-roll. There, his numbers begin to jump off the page and show why he’s been so productive as of late.


when tasked with high pick-and-roll plays, Payton has risen to the occasion with extraordinary success.


If adding him improves Sabonis then it's a win-win


I disagree. I think the number one thing we need in a PG is someone to spread the floor. If/when Vic is healthy he is going to be on the ball and in the P&R. Adding some of those non shooters that are good in the P&R that you listed is going to allow their man to sink and help.
Tom White
Senior
Posts: 549
And1: 301
Joined: Aug 27, 2001
Location: Indiana

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#528 » by Tom White » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:06 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:....If/when Vic is healthy........


Is this not the key to the whole discussion? How convinced (or not) is the team this will happen and when?
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,038
And1: 1,487
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#529 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:27 pm

Tom White wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:....If/when Vic is healthy........


Is this not the key to the whole discussion? How convinced (or not) is the team this will happen and when?


at the last presser, it seemed they just didn't know either way. if this is a rehab year similar to the one PG had coming off his break, that certainly affects the strategy. of course, you know by now that I'm not on the big money free agent bandwagon regardless.
8305
Analyst
Posts: 3,227
And1: 251
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#530 » by 8305 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:23 pm

Boneman2 wrote:Pritchard needs a point guard to make Sabonis' p&r a reliable weapon.

list:
Rozier
DRussell
KDunn (cap space)
Elfrid
IT
Rondo
Rubio
Brogdon (RFA)
George Hill (released)
Collison (Bring him back)
Schroeder

There is a lot of point guard talent available. Based off the above DRuss would be my choice followed by Brogdon but both of these guys are about to be massively overpaid so I'd pass. Rondo could run the p&r with Sabonis but he is too old. I am back on the Elfrid Payton wagon. He will be relatively cheap and he sounds like the perfect point guard to pair with Sabonis. Check out this article by Hoopshype's Bryan Kalbrasky.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/03/20/new-orleans-pelicans-elfrid-payton-triple-double-scouting-report-analysis/

When breaking down his success, one of the first things that pops out is his effectiveness creating out of the pick-and-roll. There, his numbers begin to jump off the page and show why he’s been so productive as of late.


when tasked with high pick-and-roll plays, Payton has risen to the occasion with extraordinary success.


If adding him improves Sabonis then it's a win-win


I like Rubio. Probably no one on the list that's a better guy off the dribble, plus defender and has spent the last two years playing with Mitchel (who's pretty similar to Vic).
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,038
And1: 1,487
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#531 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:35 pm

Lin never got off the Raptors bench last night. he's stuck behind Lowry and VanVleet.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,380
And1: 3,014
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#532 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 6, 2019 9:32 pm

Great wrote:



Are you just spamming your YouTube videos or are you trying to suggest something? Write some words. I know you just go to random forums and drop these videos from the same source and never return to reply. Maybe sometime post something discussion worthy?
Tom White
Senior
Posts: 549
And1: 301
Joined: Aug 27, 2001
Location: Indiana

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#533 » by Tom White » Thu Jun 6, 2019 9:42 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Are you just spamming your YouTube videos or are you trying to suggest something? Write some words. I know you just go to random forums and drop these videos from the same source and never return to reply. Maybe sometime post something discussion worthy?


If he never returns, do you think he would notice if, say a forum mod would...oh, I don't know,.....deleted his posts?

They are kind of a random pain.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,380
And1: 3,014
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#534 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 6, 2019 9:48 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Are you just spamming your YouTube videos or are you trying to suggest something? Write some words. I know you just go to random forums and drop these videos from the same source and never return to reply. Maybe sometime post something discussion worthy?


If he never returns, do you think he would notice if, say a forum mod would...oh, I don't know,.....deleted his posts?

They are kind of a random pain.



If you’d like, you could click the button in the top right hand corner of his posts to report him for spamming the forum. It certainly seems like an open and shut case. I don’t have any modding powers here anymore (anywhere really, and I’m a dad now, so I have like...NO powers anywhere :wink: ), or else I’d do something.
User avatar
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 5,808
And1: 745
Joined: Jul 12, 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
   

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#535 » by Jake0890 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:05 pm

sorry fellas, I took care of it.

started a new job recently, been a little hectic.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,380
And1: 3,014
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#536 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:22 pm

Jake0890 wrote:sorry fellas, I took care of it.

started a new job recently, been a little hectic.


No worries. thIs about as bad as the Pacers forum gets, outside of the Malice :wink:

And you got it under an hour so pretty darned solid. And congrats on the new job.
Great
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,405
And1: 50
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#537 » by Great » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:42 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Great wrote:





Are you just spamming your YouTube videos or are you trying to suggest something? Write some words. I know you just go to random forums and drop these videos from the same source and never return to reply. Maybe sometime post something discussion worthy?


The pictures speak objectively. Thousands of words per communicated per video.

The stats are here on RealGM.

The players in the moving images fall in the context of positions of need.

The discussion in the thread is of off season roster considerations.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,380
And1: 3,014
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#538 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 6, 2019 11:09 pm

Great wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Great wrote:



Are you just spamming your YouTube videos or are you trying to suggest something? Write some words. I know you just go to random forums and drop these videos from the same source and never return to reply. Maybe sometime post something discussion worthy?


The pictures speak objectively. Thousands of words per communicated per video.

The stats are here on RealGM.

The players in the moving images fall in the context of positions of need.

The discussion in the thread is of off season roster considerations.


So, spam, then.

And discussion happens here. Words are posted and read. Ideas are shared. It's not just a farm to get clicks for your youtube account. And, please, tell me what you think Sindarius Thornwell provides. He's proven he doesn't belong in the NBA the last two years. Why are you sharing him here? This is where your WORDS come into play and are very important.
Great
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,405
And1: 50
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#539 » by Great » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:31 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Great wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Are you just spamming your YouTube videos or are you trying to suggest something? Write some words. I know you just go to random forums and drop these videos from the same source and never return to reply. Maybe sometime post something discussion worthy?


The pictures speak objectively. Thousands of words per communicated per video.

The stats are here on RealGM.

The players in the moving images fall in the context of positions of need.

The discussion in the thread is of off season roster considerations.


So, spam, then.

And discussion happens here. Words are posted and read. Ideas are shared. It's not just a farm to get clicks for your youtube account. And, please, tell me what you think Sindarius Thornwell provides. He's proven he doesn't belong in the NBA the last two years. Why are you sharing him here? This is where your WORDS come into play and are very important.


Facts only.
The pictures speak objectively. Thousands of words communicated per video.

The stats are here on RealGM.

The players in the moving images fall in the context of positions of need.

The discussion in the thread is of off season roster considerations.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,038
And1: 1,487
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#540 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:18 am

Great wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Facts only.
The pictures speak objectively. Thousands of words communicated per video.


just include you own thoughts. it can be as simple as "I think this guy's stats suggest he'd be a good fit on the Pacers." tell us why you are posting the video here. bring it home to the Pacers. otoh, if you can't relate it to our team, just start a thread on the draft board for the player and include your evaluation.

Return to Indiana Pacers