Image

Round 1, Game 3: Pacers vs. Celtics

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, Jake0890, pacerfan

User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,024
And1: 1,483
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Round 1, Game 3: Pacers vs. Celtics 

Post#21 » by Wizop » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:10 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:Can we talk about that Thad Young “layup?” Good night....
my offer to bring him back is declining


I've been complaining all season that he seems to lack any "touch" around the basket. Seems like he kind just throws it at the rim sometimes. :nod:


Sabonis gets all the criticism for being one-handed but Young's right hand is also not nearly as good as his left. Quinn called the layup not as a missed shot but a loss of control of the ball. I'm not enough of a masochist to go back to watch the tape again to see.
User avatar
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 5,806
And1: 745
Joined: Jul 12, 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
   

Re: Round 1, Game 3: Pacers vs. Celtics 

Post#22 » by Jake0890 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:32 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:Another game in my Fire Nate tally...

Another winnable game that came down to mental errors, hustle plays, and free throws.

Maybe we salvage a game at home with Vic here, next time.


Jake always respect your insight. There was plenty I was unhappy with Nate about in this game. But, as you eluded to mental errors, hustle plays, and free throws. Curious as to why you feel that falls on Nate?


There were a few coaching decisions I did not like:

1. Not playing Tyreke enough in the 4th quarter. He was having his best game of the season and we pull him to put in Myles. Thad sad after the game it’s because there is a “rotation”. That’s BS.

2. Two more 5+ minute scoring droughts. At some point that has to be on the offensive game plan.

3. Clearly the Sabonis Turner lineup was not working and we stuck with it too long.

4. The guys looked GASSED. 8 man rotation. Doug should’ve played. Tyreke should’ve played more.

5. The pick and roll defense was really bad on irving. we let our bigs get taken advantage of too much.

That’s what I could come up with off the top. I’d be interested to hear if others saw positive things from a coaching aspect that I missed.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 11,687
And1: 4,694
Joined: Sep 26, 2006
 

Re: Round 1, Game 3: Pacers vs. Celtics 

Post#23 » by pacers33granger » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Jake0890 wrote:4. The guys looked GASSED. 8 man rotation. Doug should’ve played. Tyreke should’ve played more.


I agree with basically every point you made and agree with the majority of this one, but Doug has been absolutely lost out there. I honestly don't think we can afford to play him unfortunately.

Jake0890 wrote:5. The pick and roll defense was really bad on irving. we let our bigs get taken advantage of too much.



I've been wondering why we have gone away from the pick and roll on the other end. It works in different ways for both Myles and Domas and we utilized it all year long, yet we're just not using it this series. Maybe it's because Brad has put Tatum on the PG? Still, we should be putting Irving in it if possible and Baynes as well. He's strong, but doesn't move his feet well enough to deal with a rolling big.
Pacers_Freak
Starter
Posts: 2,199
And1: 1,919
Joined: Oct 06, 2016
   

Re: Round 1, Game 3: Pacers vs. Celtics 

Post#24 » by Pacers_Freak » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Jake0890 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:Another game in my Fire Nate tally...

Another winnable game that came down to mental errors, hustle plays, and free throws.

Maybe we salvage a game at home with Vic here, next time.


Jake always respect your insight. There was plenty I was unhappy with Nate about in this game. But, as you eluded to mental errors, hustle plays, and free throws. Curious as to why you feel that falls on Nate?


There were a few coaching decisions I did not like:

1. Not playing Tyreke enough in the 4th quarter. He was having his best game of the season and we pull him to put in Myles. Thad sad after the game it’s because there is a “rotation”. That’s BS.

2. Two more 5+ minute scoring droughts. At some point that has to be on the offensive game plan.

3. Clearly the Sabonis Turner lineup was not working and we stuck with it too long.

4. The guys looked GASSED. 8 man rotation. Doug should’ve played. Tyreke should’ve played more.

5. The pick and roll defense was really bad on irving. we let our bigs get taken advantage of too much.

That’s what I could come up with off the top. I’d be interested to hear if others saw positive things from a coaching aspect that I missed.


Agree with most of those. Some of those were my frustration as well. The main positive I saw was our willingness to attack the paint in the first half. I agree on the 8 man rotation we looked gassed. Doug hasn’t been playing well. In game 2 Holiday got lost on several rotations. So I did understand it in a “must win” even though I think it ultimately led to us running out of gas.
pacers70
Junior
Posts: 283
And1: 66
Joined: Dec 20, 2011
       

Re: Round 1, Game 3: Pacers vs. Celtics 

Post#25 » by pacers70 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:33 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Our bigs have their issues but we honestly don't have a single guard worth a spot on the roster next year that's gotten minutes in this series except maybe Matthews. Not one of them can reliably get into the offense before half the clock is gone. That's a really steep uphill battle every night. Some of it is Nate but the trio of DC, Evans, and CoJo couldn't do that for Pop imo.


Wow. Matthews? He sucks.

CoJo has been the best guard we have in this series and that’s not saying much.

Maybe I’m being a bitter old man :o but I’m ready to let all of our free agents walk this summer. We need at least one more star player, more length and athleticism. As much as I like Sabonis, I’m willing to move him for the right player.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 11,687
And1: 4,694
Joined: Sep 26, 2006
 

Re: Round 1, Game 3: Pacers vs. Celtics 

Post#26 » by pacers33granger » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:34 pm

pacers70 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Our bigs have their issues but we honestly don't have a single guard worth a spot on the roster next year that's gotten minutes in this series except maybe Matthews. Not one of them can reliably get into the offense before half the clock is gone. That's a really steep uphill battle every night. Some of it is Nate but the trio of DC, Evans, and CoJo couldn't do that for Pop imo.


Wow. Matthews? He sucks.

CoJo has been the best guard we have in this series and that’s not saying much.

Maybe I’m being a bitter old man :o but I’m ready to let all of our free agents walk this summer. We need at least one more star player, more length and athleticism. As much as I like Sabonis, I’m willing to move him for the right player.
Mathews is the only one playing ok defense. CoJo has been better than the last few months but he's still our worst guard getting minutes right now.

Return to Indiana Pacers