pacers70
Junior
And1: 69

Re: Round 1, Game 4: Pacers vs. Celtics 

Post#41 » by pacers70 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:58 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Vorda wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Because of how the salary cap works, you have to renounce Bojan to clear the cap space to sign Kemba. That then means that the maximum offer we could give Bojan would be $4.7m in the first year with 7.5% raises each year via the Room Exception.

So whom do you choose? Kemba or Bogie? Can’t have both. And those veteran PG and PF’s have to come via the minimum salary exception ($2.3m or less).

We can all agree that some changes are in store. But, remember, we’re legally limited in how we can enact those changes.

I dont follow this... how can be max offer only 4,7 mill...

If I have to choose I would take Kemba... but if we sign him for 30 m... we will still have 30 mill more to spend?

That's a good question. If we sign Kemba for less than the max (which he's unlikely to accept, he'll get offers for his maximum salary of over $34m in the 1st year), then it's possible we could renounce every other of our free agents, and waive Sumner, Alize, and renounce our 1st rounder, or trade it away for a future 1st rounder in order to keep Bojan's, and only Bojan's, cap hold on the books. That would then allow us to sign him using Early Bird Rights for up to $18.375m in year 1 of his deal. However, if we have to renounce Bojan's cap hold in order to sign Kemba for his full contract, then we could, and we'd have less than $10m in cap space to then sign Bojan, since we'd have to use Cap space to sign him, or the Room exception of $4.7m, not the Early Bird exceptions.

If we renounce a player to clear cap space to sign someone, then we are limited to re-signing that player with remaining cap space or a salary exception such as the Room Exception.

Kemba has been in the league for 8 years. It looks to me like his max for the first year is $32.7 million.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/early-maximum-salary-projections-for-201920.html

Bogey's cap hold is $13.65. Our 1st round pick will sign for $2.3 million our 2nd round pick for $900,000. Depending on which source you use, we could sign Bogey and Kemba.

Spotrac has us at 8 guys under contract at $60.1 million. This includes Johnson, Sumner and Ellis' stretch. It also includes incentives for Myles. It dos not include our 1st round pick. If we sign our 1st round pick at $2.3 million and our 2nd round pick at $900,000 that gives us 10 guys at $63.3 million. Bogey's cap hold is $13.65 million gets us to 11 guys at $76.95 million. Kemba at $32.7 million gets us 12 guys at $109.65 million. We would have to release Sumner or Johnson and sign someone at a lower amount, but we could get to the $109 million cap with Kemba and Bogey.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/indiana-pacers/cap/2019/
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: Round 1, Game 4: Pacers vs. Celtics 

Post#42 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:15 pm

pacers70 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Vorda wrote:
I dont follow this... how can be max offer only 4,7 mill...

If I have to choose I would take Kemba... but if we sign him for 30 m... we will still have 30 mill more to spend?

That's a good question. If we sign Kemba for less than the max (which he's unlikely to accept, he'll get offers for his maximum salary of over $34m in the 1st year), then it's possible we could renounce every other of our free agents, and waive Sumner, Alize, and renounce our 1st rounder, or trade it away for a future 1st rounder in order to keep Bojan's, and only Bojan's, cap hold on the books. That would then allow us to sign him using Early Bird Rights for up to $18.375m in year 1 of his deal. However, if we have to renounce Bojan's cap hold in order to sign Kemba for his full contract, then we could, and we'd have less than $10m in cap space to then sign Bojan, since we'd have to use Cap space to sign him, or the Room exception of $4.7m, not the Early Bird exceptions.

If we renounce a player to clear cap space to sign someone, then we are limited to re-signing that player with remaining cap space or a salary exception such as the Room Exception.

Kemba has been in the league for 8 years. It looks to me like his max for the first year is $32.7 million.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/early-maximum-salary-projections-for-201920.html

Bogey's cap hold is $13.65. Our 1st round pick will sign for $2.3 million our 2nd round pick for $900,000. Depending on which source you use, we could sign Bogey and Kemba.

Spotrac has us at 8 guys under contract at $60.1 million. This includes Johnson, Sumner and Ellis' stretch. It also includes incentives for Myles. It dos not include our 1st round pick. If we sign our 1st round pick at $2.3 million and our 2nd round pick at $900,000 that gives us 10 guys at $63.3 million. Bogey's cap hold is $13.65 million gets us to 11 guys at $76.95 million. Kemba at $32.7 million gets us 12 guys at $109.65 million. We would have to release Sumner or Johnson and sign someone at a lower amount, but we could get to the $109 million cap with Kemba and Bogey.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/indiana-pacers/cap/2019/

1st round picks have a salary hold of 120% of scale, and 99% of the time sign for that 120% of scale. $2.3m is the scale, the $2.8m is the 120% of scale. Before this CBA, the cap hold was scale, and guys would sign for 120% all the time, so there was this concept of signing the draft pick last to maximize cap space. That loophole was eliminated so that teams would have their guys under contract essentially immediately for summer league and the likes.

As for Kemba, you're right. I inverted the $32.4m I was seeing elsewhere into $34.2m in my head. Sorry.

But, at a $109m cap as projected, if we waive Sumner and Alize, keep Bojan's cap hold on the books, and keep our 1st, and project Myles' salary cap number as "unlikely Bonuses", then we're at just around $32m, but not quite $32.4m If Myles makes all-defense and salary is classified as likely bonuses, then we're at around $31.5m. So, a salary dump of Leaf or trading our 1st this year for a future 1st.

Remember, minimum salary roster holds pop in at just under $900k for each player under 12 on the roster/cap holds.

Return to Indiana Pacers