Why don't the Pacers use penetration?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Why don't the Pacers use penetration? 

Post#1 » by Pacercoltboiler » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:45 pm

I know we stay away from ball dominant point guards, but since we don't use post ups, why don't we have a central ball handler attack the basket regularly? It seems we never really have turned a guy loose. Wouldn't this put a lot of pressure on the defense and set people up like Bogey? Sometimes it seems we are the only team that doesn't attack the rim. In game four with the Celtics, we had a lineup with Evans and Mathews in the backcourt, with Evans attacking the basket. He missed some close ones, but I loved the aggressiveness. I'd love to see us be more aggressive.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: Why don't the Pacers use penetration? 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:38 pm

That was Oladipo’s role and we tried to have Bojan take that spot in games 2 and 3, and it’s just not his best fit. Tyreke can do it also, but we otherwise have run dribble hand off and motion offense so much, and have built a team around it without Oladipo.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#3 » by Tom White » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:12 pm

It is a result of the personnel on the team. The penetrator has to be two things. A good ball handler, and big enough to see over or around defenders. DC and CoJo are smaller guards who have trouble making that play consistently. Myles, Domas and Thad are not guys you want handling the ball in those situations. Bogie is the guy you want spotting up, not passing.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#4 » by Wizop » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Tom White wrote:It is a result of the personnel on the team. The penetrator has to be two things. A good ball handler, and big enough to see over or around defenders. DC and CoJo are smaller guards who have trouble making that play consistently. Myles, Domas and Thad are not guys you want handling the ball in those situations. Bogie is the guy you want spotting up, not passing.
Victor fits and I have hopes for Sumner.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#5 » by Tom White » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:44 pm

Wizop wrote:Victor fits and I have hopes for Sumner.

Sent from my phone.

You're right, but my answer was based on believing the question had to do with the team as it currently stands. Meaning with VO unavailable.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#6 » by Wizop » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:56 pm

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:Victor fits and I have hopes for Sumner.

Sent from my phone.

You're right, but my answer was based on believing the question had to do with the team as it currently stands. Meaning with VO unavailable.
agree, it did, but I'm moving on. next stop Colts draft.

Sent from my phone.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#7 » by Pacercoltboiler » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:33 pm

Was Oladipo really that guy? His ball handling wasn't a strong point, and he had some problems finishing. Wasn't his mid range shot his specialty? I'd love to have someone 6-5 who can drive and pass, but would a shorter person be able to do it? Could a Kemba Walker type player be a featured attacking player? Even with Oladipo, we did not feature attacking the rim. It seems like the team was built that way on purpose, for many many years.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:18 am

Pacercoltboiler wrote:Was Oladipo really that guy? His ball handling wasn't a strong point, and he had some problems finishing. Wasn't his mid range shot his specialty? I'd love to have someone 6-5 who can drive and pass, but would a shorter person be able to do it? Could a Kemba Walker type player be a featured attacking player? Even with Oladipo, we did not feature attacking the rim. It seems like the team was built that way on purpose, for many many years.

He pulled up a lot later on last year mid range and at the 3 pt line, but that was a direct result of him being a killer at attacking the rim, and teams overcompensating by then loading the paint on him. Vic was textbook what you’re asking for. To get a better version on the wings, you need a Lebron, Giannis, or Durant. Maybe in the future a Tatum?
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#9 » by 8305 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:23 pm

Its great when you have a guy with size, a handle, vision, etc. But there are guys who are small that can penetrate and dish. I think Holiday could do it.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#10 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:13 pm

8305 wrote:Its great when you have a guy with size, a handle, vision, etc. But there are guys who are small that can penetrate and dish. I think Holiday could do it.

I continue to include Sumner in my next year dreams.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#11 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:Its great when you have a guy with size, a handle, vision, etc. But there are guys who are small that can penetrate and dish. I think Holiday could do it.

I continue to include Sumner in my next year dreams.

I really hope you're dreams come true. But I'm not sure it is there... Hope so though.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:I really hope you're dreams come true. But I'm not sure it is there... Hope so though.

Sumner did well in Ft. Wayne but must not have shown the coaches enough in practice to even get around Evans when Tyreke was floundering. he did show enough though to get his 2-way contract converted. summer league will be a test for him. It would be great if he and Holiday were ready to get regular 2nd unit minutes - but see draft thread.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#13 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:59 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:I really hope you're dreams come true. But I'm not sure it is there... Hope so though.

Sumner did well in Ft. Wayne but must not have shown the coaches enough in practice to even get around Evans when Tyreke was floundering. he did show enough though to get his 2-way contract converted. summer league will be a test for him. It would be great if he and Holiday were ready to get regular 2nd unit minutes - but see draft thread.

Ft. Wayne and the summer league isn't the big show. He deserved his full time contract. But to count on him to be this great creator.... I hope so... but we will see.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#14 » by boomershadow » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:44 am

I'm okay with Sumner being a third option.

Return to Indiana Pacers