Image

Pacers Draft Workouts 2019

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, Jake0890, pacerfan

User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,380
And1: 3,013
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#41 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:42 pm

Pathora wrote:
Read on Twitter


Looks like Herro is the only guy in Workout 8 that would be picked at 18, why do I have a feeling the team is trading down/out.


Historically, a lot of 1st rounders won’t workout with other 1st rounders, so it could make sense too.

But also, a lot of the guys we like at 18 really may be on the books in the 30’s too. I think after the top 8 or so, it’s really just team needs/preferences the rest of the way down into around 40 or so.

And welcome to the forums, Pathora! Feel free to start a thread to introduce yourself!
Pathora
Ballboy
Posts: 22
And1: 5
Joined: Jun 12, 2019
 

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#42 » by Pathora » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:39 pm

Read on Twitter


Workout #9 on Monday has two 1st round prospects in Nickeil Alexander-Walker and KZ Okpala.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,650
And1: 538
Joined: May 19, 2008
       

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#43 » by MUpacersSIC » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Here are the players I’ve seen mocked in the first round. Some of these are definitely more late first round/early 2nd, which makes me believe the Pacers are at least open to trading down.


Ty Jerome
Dylan Windler
Nic Claxton
Carsen Edwards
Mfiondu Kabangele
Luguentz Dort
Talen Horton-Tucker
Luka Samanic
Bruno Fernando
Daniel Gafford
Tyler Herro
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
KZ Okpala
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,038
And1: 1,487
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#44 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:47 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:Here are the players I’ve seen mocked in the first round.


Here are some additional names from the mocks quoted on pacers.com

P.J. Washington
Kevin Porter
Rui Hachimura
Brandon Clarke
Keldon Johnson

perhaps you only listed guys that were both mocked and on the workout lists.

my own list would also include

Cam Johnson for his shooting
Grant Williams for small ball, and
Matisse Thybulle for defense.

I have already commented that I am puzzled by their failure to workout these guys. sometimes the answer is that the player refused because they think they have or actually have a promise from a team drafting before us.

I'd be curious to see a list of the players we interviewed in Chicago. perhaps we didn't bring some of them to Indy because we felt we had all the information we needed on them.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,380
And1: 3,013
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#45 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:55 pm

Wizop wrote:
MUpacersSIC wrote:Here are the players I’ve seen mocked in the first round.


Here are some additional names from the mocks quoted on pacers.com

P.J. Washington
Kevin Porter
Rui Hachimura
Brandon Clarke
Keldon Johnson

perhaps you only listed guys that were both mocked and on the workout lists.

my own list would also include

Cam Johnson for his shooting
Grant Williams for small ball, and
Matisse Thybulle for defense.

I have already commented that I am puzzled by their failure to workout these guys. sometimes the answer is that the player refused because they think they have or actually have a promise from a team drafting before us.

I'd be curious to see a list of the players we interviewed in Chicago. perhaps we didn't bring some of them to Indy because we felt we had all the information we needed on them.



Did you see Cam Johnson’s age? He’s 3 weeks older than Myles Turner!

Wouldn’t preclude me from drafting him, but just shows the whole idea that Myles is topped out is absurd.
Boneman2
General Manager
Posts: 7,618
And1: 987
Joined: Jul 07, 2003
Location: Indy
       

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#46 » by Boneman2 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:51 pm

What about Bitadze (6'11"/ 250 lbs)? Much like Bol Bol, Goga can block shots and shoot. BPA possibly?
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
User avatar
Moooose
Starter
Posts: 2,224
And1: 165
Joined: Apr 13, 2010
Location: From Way Downtown
 

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#47 » by Moooose » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Pathora wrote:
Read on Twitter


Looks like Herro is the only guy in Workout 8 that would be picked at 18, why do I have a feeling the team is trading down/out.


Looks like a summer league team audition, except for Herro. A lot of seniors in here too.

Devin Cannady. Good range from deep but is really a shooting guard, a pocket-sized shooting guard. In the shade of Seth Curry, but I don't know if he can play full PG. Saw a replay of their game against Arizona St. (watched it because of Remy Martin and Dort) and he played well.. but still undersized.

Tyler Herro. I truly believe that Herro has a legit chance of going higher than 18 on draft day and I wouldn't be mad if we end up drafting this guy. Poor measurements during the combine and his defense would likely be subpar on his first few years in the league, making him not a real 3 and D player. But he is the best one-trick-pony in the entire draft. This guy is a legit scorer, a confident shooter, and will have a role in a team wherever he lands.

Cam Jackson. Big bodied, not so athletic nor talented PF.
Image
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,038
And1: 1,487
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#48 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Did you see Cam Johnson’s age? He’s 3 weeks older than Myles Turner!

Wouldn’t preclude me from drafting him, but just shows the whole idea that Myles is topped out is absurd.


so Cam is all of 6 months older than Holiday and 2 months older than Sabonis. also a year older than TJ while we're debunking the notion that guys have peaked.
User avatar
Moooose
Starter
Posts: 2,224
And1: 165
Joined: Apr 13, 2010
Location: From Way Downtown
 

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#49 » by Moooose » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Pathora wrote:
Read on Twitter


Workout #9 on Monday has two 1st round prospects in Nickeil Alexander-Walker and KZ Okpala.


Nickeil Alexander-Walker. One of the guys I am hoping would slide to 18th but I can't see him falling beyond Detroit's pick at 15. So I am lowering my expectations. Oozing potential on both ends of the court, especially on defense. He's the kind of player who can change the pace of the game. Just learned that he is Shai Gilgeous-Alexander's cousin, I had him as one of my comparisons for him.

Phil Booth. Steady and serviceable throughout his career in Villanova. Seems like he's been in the NCAA for a decade now.

Matt Mooney. His stats may have went down last year after taking a secondary role to Culver, but he has assumed a key role in the tournament by being the steady go-to guy in crucial situations for Texas Tech. Cold-blooded scorer who really could find a role in the league. Head to head with Fletcher Magee in the rankings, IMO.

KZ Okpala. To me, the most over-hyped prospect in the draft. That or maybe he is just too raw at the moment. I'd gladly take Kris Wilkes over him any time of the day.

Justin Robinson. NAW's teammate in Virginia Tech. Underrated point guard with excellent court vision and basketball IQ.
Image
User avatar
Moooose
Starter
Posts: 2,224
And1: 165
Joined: Apr 13, 2010
Location: From Way Downtown
 

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#50 » by Moooose » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:14 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I don't always respond, but really appreciate your writeups and putting your thoughts out there Moooose.


Well geez, thanks. Just sharing my personal notes on the guys really. Draft days and the trade deadlines are Christmas to me.
Image
Boneman2
General Manager
Posts: 7,618
And1: 987
Joined: Jul 07, 2003
Location: Indy
       

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#51 » by Boneman2 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:58 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Did you see Cam Johnson’s age? He’s 3 weeks older than Myles Turner!

Wouldn’t preclude me from drafting him, but just shows the whole idea that Myles is topped out is absurd.


so Cam is all of 6 months older than Holiday and 2 months older than Sabonis. also a year older than TJ while we're debunking the notion that guys have peaked.


Typically the Pacers draft upperclassmen (Jr/Sr) usually developing them to peak around 26 yo.

Since 2002 we've had 12 1st round picks that we've kept including:
Seniors-
Fred Jones (Good player)
Danny Granger (All-star)
Roy Hibbert (Defensive Stud)
Tyler Hansbrough (Meh)
Plumlee (Serviceable)
Soloman Hill (Good back up)

Juniors-
David Harrison (mentally injury prone)
Aaron Holiday (Looking good)

Since 2002 we've also drafted two sophomores (PG & ShawneWill) and very recently two freshmen (Turner & Leaf)

I guess I said all that to say that the Pacers have reliably drafted seniors 50% of the time. None of this is indicative of a particular age range that Pritchard will target in the upcoming draft but it does indicate the Pacers will target any age range.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,038
And1: 1,487
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#52 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:00 pm

Boneman2 wrote:I guess I said all that to say that the Pacers have reliably drafted seniors 50% of the time.
a lot of the upperclassmen goes back to Bird.

Sent from my phone.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,650
And1: 538
Joined: May 19, 2008
       

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#53 » by MUpacersSIC » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Wizop wrote:
MUpacersSIC wrote:Here are the players I’ve seen mocked in the first round.


Here are some additional names from the mocks quoted on pacers.com

P.J. Washington
Kevin Porter
Rui Hachimura
Brandon Clarke
Keldon Johnson

perhaps you only listed guys that were both mocked and on the workout lists.

my own list would also include

Cam Johnson for his shooting
Grant Williams for small ball, and
Matisse Thybulle for defense.

I have already commented that I am puzzled by their failure to workout these guys. sometimes the answer is that the player refused because they think they have or actually have a promise from a team drafting before us.

I'd be curious to see a list of the players we interviewed in Chicago. perhaps we didn't bring some of them to Indy because we felt we had all the information we needed on them.


Yeah, was just referring to those the Pacers have worked out. Not sure how many more they will be doing, but I’d assume it’s likely they’ll choose from the players they’ve worked out. Of course that changes is someone like Brandon Clarke fell to #18 for some reason.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,038
And1: 1,487
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#54 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:22 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:
Yeah, was just referring to those the Pacers have worked out. Not sure how many more they will be doing, but I’d assume it’s likely they’ll choose from the players they’ve worked out.
I hope not. they are almost all 2nd rounders.

Sent from my phone.
User avatar
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 35,582
And1: 5,800
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
Location: I'm just here to support my friend skatingguy69.
Contact:
       

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#55 » by Gremz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Not overly excited with this class. Really just hoping we can find someone with an elite skill. Don't care if it's shooting, defense or rebounding.
Image
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,650
And1: 538
Joined: May 19, 2008
       

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#56 » by MUpacersSIC » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Jonathan Givony of ESPN (and formerly DraftExpress) has Brandon Clarke falling to the Hawks at #17. If I'm the Pacers, I'd offer a 2nd rd pick and cash to move up and take him. Think he would fit perfectly with both Myles and Domas. He's pretty much a young Thad with more shooting potential.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,038
And1: 1,487
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#57 » by Wizop » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:41 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:Jonathan Givony of ESPN (and formerly DraftExpress) has Brandon Clarke falling to the Hawks at #17. If I'm the Pacers, I'd offer a 2nd rd pick and cash to move up and take him. Think he would fit perfectly with both Myles and Domas. He's pretty much a young Thad with more shooting potential.


I like Clarke although if I'm trying to deal with the Hawks I might offer the 18 and next year's FRP for the 10. I'd also offer next year's pick straight up for the 17 as Atlanta may prefer 2 picks this year and 2 picks next year to 3 picks this year and 1 next.

still it really depends who else is sitting at 17. I really like this draft and I'm not fixed on any one player enough to move up a single spot.

EDIT: if the Ringer mock is close, it'd take the 10 to get Clarke. they have PJ Washington going around our pick and I'd be fine with that choice.

Return to Indiana Pacers