Turner snubbed for NBA All Defense

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Re: Turner snubbed for NBA All Defense 

Post#21 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:42 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Vorda wrote:We wrote about this... he is average defender... poor rebounder, soft player and he was outplayed by every bigger guy under the rim.... he is good blocker snd that's it... there is no reason for him to crying... he just doesnt deserve to be in all defensive teams...

Poslano sa mog SM-A510F koristeći Tapatalk

Stop. He’s a tremendous defensive player, and really, he’s the 3rd team All Defensive Center. Gobert has been first team 3 years running now, and typically, with these awards, once guys make them, they keep making them off name recognition.

Vorda would perfer a Enes Kanter type who scores and rebounds.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#22 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:50 pm

Vorda wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Vorda wrote:We wrote about this... he is average defender... poor rebounder, soft player and he was outplayed by every bigger guy under the rim.... he is good blocker snd that's it... there is no reason for him to crying... he just doesnt deserve to be in all defensive teams...

Stop. He’s a tremendous defensive player, and really, he’s the 3rd team All Defensive Center. Gobert has been first team 3 years running now, and typically, with these awards, once guys make them, they keep making them off name recognition.

No he is not.... M.Gasol, Capella, Drummond, Whiteside, Jordan... they are all better defenders...

Turner averaged 2.7 blocked shots per game, at that how many shots did he change? At least the same number maybe 2X as many. When you have a guy like that the team defense is better. Whiteside is a pile of crap as is Jordan, they are inconsistent and Drummond who is paid much more than Turner can't shoot FT's to save his life. Gasol is good but he's nearing his end time as a player. I like Capella but he's not better than Turner except at rebounding.

I'll give Turner a few more years he's just 23 yrs and 2 months so he's not even done growing as a player.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#23 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Vorda wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Vorda wrote:
No he is not.... M.Gasol, Capella, Drummond, Whiteside, Jordan... they are all better defenders...

Except the nba disagrees. Myles has the 3rd highest vote total for centers. And if you think blocks are hollow stats, Then why’d you list some of the worst offenders of “only blocks, not actually defense”?

I dont care... I Know ehat I have seen last year... soft defender Myles...

So he struggles against Embiid and Adams! Who doesn't? I'd like to see Turner put on about 25 lbs of muscle, he should be able to gain at least 15 lbs and see what he can do.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#24 » by pacers33granger » Tue May 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Vorda wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

You realize the majority of those guys are exactly what you're claiming Myles is right? Whiteside, Drummond, and Jordan are like the poster children for bad defenders with nice looking stats.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#25 » by pacers33granger » Tue May 28, 2019 9:06 pm

Also it should be noted that our guard play really screwed Myles on both ends. We all know full well the inability to get anyone shots was huge, but our guards without Dipo being unable to defend well put him in difficult spots a ton of times.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#26 » by Topofthekey » Tue May 28, 2019 11:13 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Also it should be noted that our guard play really screwed Myles on both ends. We all know full well the inability to get anyone shots was huge, but our guards without Dipo being unable to defend well put him in difficult spots a ton of times.

I think at this point, I am of the opinion that what really screws the team is Nate and his assistants (except Burke)

Not that I'm calling for his firing, but the evidence is there the entire season

-the team looks lost on offense, especially without Vic
-they have no idea what to do with Leaf
-they have no idea how to best utilize both Myles and Domas

Myles really has no well defined role on offense - he stated he's most comfortable hanging around the 3pt line, his teammate called him soft and wanted to see him dominate the post more, and his coach wants him to initiate the PnR

**** me, I'll be lost too if I were him
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#27 » by Tom White » Tue May 28, 2019 11:23 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Myles really has no well defined role on offense - he stated he's most comfortable hanging around the 3pt line, his teammate called him soft and wanted to see him dominate the post more, and his coach wants him to initiate the PnR

I agree with the teammate and coach. I really don't want to see him camping out in the corner playing the role of guard/wing.
As to Nate, remember after the Celtics series he said Boston just had more pieces than the Pacers. I agree with that statement too. He can only coach the players he has. We need better players, period.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,271

Post#28 » by boomershadow » Wed May 29, 2019 9:38 am

Topofthekey wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Also it should be noted that our guard play really screwed Myles on both ends. We all know full well the inability to get anyone shots was huge, but our guards without Dipo being unable to defend well put him in difficult spots a ton of times.

I think at this point, I am of the opinion that what really screws the team is Nate and his assistants (except Burke)

Not that I'm calling for his firing, but the evidence is there the entire season

-the team looks lost on offense, especially without Vic
-they have no idea what to do with Leaf
-they have no idea how to best utilize both Myles and Domas

Myles really has no well defined role on offense - he stated he's most comfortable hanging around the 3pt line, his teammate called him soft and wanted to see him dominate the post more, and his coach wants him to initiate the PnR

**** me, I'll be lost too if I were him
I absolutely agree. I was dumbfounded when Nate said early in the season he didn't want Turner shooting 3s. It's like he doesn't realize what era of basketball we are in. Turner has been touted from the very beginning as a unique combo of shot blocker and soft touch shooter with range. It's totally on Nate for not knowing how to use a player with that skillset. We have seen all around the league how 3 point shooting can boost a players offensive production. And how that spacing and gravity can open up the lane for other players to get to the rim. And you definitely want guys like Oladipo to be able to get to the rim.

Turner definitely does need to keep getting stronger and working on his rebounding, but he has never been a bruiser or a hustle guy like an Adams or a Capella. That's not his game at all. He's not a garbage man or a lob threat lol. He's going to forever be a shot blocker who can shoot. And if we aren't taking advantage of half of that skillset well enough, that's really on the coach and not the player.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,271

Post#29 » by boomershadow » Wed May 29, 2019 9:53 am

Tom White wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Myles really has no well defined role on offense - he stated he's most comfortable hanging around the 3pt line, his teammate called him soft and wanted to see him dominate the post more, and his coach wants him to initiate the PnR

I agree with the teammate and coach. I really don't want to see him camping out in the corner playing the role of guard/wing.
As to Nate, remember after the Celtics series he said Boston just had more pieces than the Pacers. I agree with that statement too. He can only coach the players he has. We need better players, period.
Three point shooting isn't a role for just guards anymore. One key element to the Bucks leap this year was adding Lopez as their stretch 5. He hit buckets and gave Giannis room to operate. I think Nate saying we just don't have the guys is a total cop-out. There was more than enough talent on this team to win at least one playoff game. I definitely want to add more talent, but Nate point blank did not get the most out of the talent he had this at. No doubt about it. And until you figure out how to utilize it, adding more talent can only do so much if you don't make the pieces you have work effectively together.

Return to Indiana Pacers