Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,133

Re: With 18th Pick, Pacers Select Goga Bitadze 

Post#81 » by Nuntius » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:48 am

Wizop wrote:
Moooose wrote:Pritchard said we can play Myles at 4. Haven't seen that before

he played 4 his rookie year.

Indeed, he did play some of his minutes next to Ian when he was a rookie.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#82 » by Nuntius » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:52 am

Vorda wrote:Goga will be back up center... Domas will play more af PF... I dont understand why we took Warrens contract.... he is tweener with bad defense... now we cant sign big name amymore and we have two bad contracts on roster... Warren and Doug...

Poslano sa mog SM-A510F koristeći Tapatalk

We can definitely still sign a big name. We can sign DLo (his max is 25% of the cap so around $27.25 mil) and we can also sign a 30% max. We can't sign a 35% max but those eligible for that kind of max (stars with more than 9+ years experience in the league) weren't going to sign us anyway. But guys like DLo, Kemba and Middleton? Sure, we can offer them a max. We just need to renounce all of our cap holds and we'll have enough cap space to do that.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by Nuntius » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:01 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:So, I’m going to keep in mind that Warren is a type of player that his team just paid a good price to take off their hands. He’s not consistently healthy, a terrible defender, a poor rebounder, a ball stopper offensively, and has only shown 3 pt shooting for a very short time in his career, while showing he was a terrible long range shooter for a long time before that.

I’m hoping for the best, but I’m definitely not willing to pencil him in as a starter at EITHER of SF or PF. I think he’s competing with Doug for the backup SF minutes until he proves otherwise.

According to Phoenix fans, his health isn't as big of a concern as it looks like. He only had 2 relatively serious injuries in his career. An ankle and something else. According to one of their mods he missed some extra time when their medical team sort of botched a treatment and he also missed some more time when their team was tanking. I don't expect him to play a full season, of course, but I do think he'll play around 70 games.

His defense leaves a lot to be desired, that is true, but we are the Pacers. We have been able to make poor defenders into respectable ones in the past. I'm not that worried about that.

Rebounding is indeed a weakness. This is unlikely to change so it is a concern, I agree.

A ball stopper, I don't think he truly is. He is simply someone with little passing talent and is thus used mostly as a finisher by his team. His career AST average is 1.1 while Bojan's is 1.4. I don't think that either of them are ball stoppers. They simply aren't creators. They are finishers and that's fine if their role is well-defined and aren't asked to do stuff beyond their role.

As for his shooting, you are indeed correct. Phoenix fans are claiming that he worked really hard in the off-season and put up 700 3s a day over the summer for a total of 42k total attepts in the off-season -> https://hoopshype.com/2018/12/28/phoenix-suns-tj-warren-most-improved-player-candidate/

If this is indeed true then it speaks to his work ethic and also indicates that it wasn't a result of a hot season. It was a result of hard work that led to improvement.

In general, most Suns fans are hating this trade and they have nothing but good things to say about TJ Warren. At this point, I'll have to trust them on him.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#84 » by Wizop » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Topofthekey wrote:how much would it take to trade up two spots?

hard to tell but we know they chose to trade out of 32 and 50. I have to conclude that they valued future picks higher than a second rookie at the end of the bench. they also probably felt that there were going to be undrafted players they could sign to 2-way deals with similar talent to what was available in the second round.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,021

Post#85 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:01 pm

Topofthekey wrote:On a separate note, although I see the draft as being a success for the team, being able to draft Goga at 18, the only thing that is stopping me from calling it a complete success was that the team didn't trade up from 32 to pick either Keldon Johnson or Kevin Porter, who were taken at 29 and 30 respectively - how much would it take to trade up two spots?

Also, when Nassir Little fell as far as he did, I was kind of hoping the team would trade up into the 20s to pick him

Cleveland paid $5m and 4 future 2nd round picks for the 30th spot.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#86 » by pacers33granger » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Nuntius wrote:
As for his shooting, you are indeed correct. Phoenix fans are claiming that he worked really hard in the off-season and put up 700 3s a day over the summer for a total of 42k total attepts in the off-season -> https://hoopshype.com/2018/12/28/phoenix-suns-tj-warren-most-improved-player-candidate/

If this is indeed true then it speaks to his work ethic and also indicates that it wasn't a result of a hot season. It was a result of hard work that led to improvement.

In general, most Suns fans are hating this trade and they have nothing but good things to say about TJ Warren. At this point, I'll have to trust them on him.

Yeah I've been on the side of TJ is a neutral contract at best for awhile now (and he's clearly slightly negative as evidenced by us getting the 32 for him) and am still meh on the trade, but he does have good work ethic it seems. And maybe this will give him another chip on his shoulder.

Also should note that David West was his mentor dating back to college. I know West and the front office weren't on great terms when he left, but maybe they made a call to him.

As you said too, we can make his defense or lack thereof work without much issue as long as he's willing to work. I mean realistically we didn't get burned too too bad with Tyreke on defense and he's a terrible defender who may have been using hard drugs during the season.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by Nuntius » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:16 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Yeah I've been on the side of TJ is a neutral contract at best for awhile now (and he's clearly slightly negative as evidenced by us getting the 32 for him) and am still meh on the trade, but he does have good work ethic it seems. And maybe this will give him another chip on his shoulder.

Also should note that David West was his mentor dating back to college. I know West and the front office weren't on great terms when he left, but maybe they made a call to him.

As you said too, we can make his defense or lack thereof work without much issue as long as he's willing to work. I mean realistically we didn't get burned too too bad with Tyreke on defense and he's a terrible defender who may have been using hard drugs during the season.

Exactly. Tyreke even had some decent defensive games last year. Individual defense is the least of my worries given our excellent staff in this area.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,269

Post#88 » by Jstock12 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:12 pm

Bold/optimistic prediction... Goga earns a starting spot by the end of the season. Which would mean he's the second coming of Jokic , but with shot-blocking and athleticism :P
Pacernation
Senior
And1: 919

Post#89 » by Pacernation » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:23 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Bold/optimistic prediction... Goga earns a starting spot by the end of the season. Which would mean he's the second coming of Jokic , but with shot-blocking and athleticism :P

But without the passing.. :noway:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:45 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Bold/optimistic prediction... Goga earns a starting spot by the end of the season. Which would mean he's the second coming of Jokic , but with shot-blocking and athleticism :P

Haha :lol:

Awful bold!
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#91 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:04 pm

over Turner or Sabonis? i sure don't see that. I suppose if we move Turner to 4 and Goga outplays Sabonis at 5 it is theoretically possible but I sure don't see it.

In fact, in writing a message on a Google Group this morning, it occurred to me that if we go outside the box and create some sort of double-post alignment for Turner and Sabonis, the same creative plan would work for Leaf and Goga on the second unit.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#92 » by Jstock12 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:01 pm

Wizop wrote:

over Turner or Sabonis? i sure don't see that. I suppose if we move Turner to 4 and Goga outplays Sabonis at 5 it is theoretically possible but I sure don't see it.

In fact, in writing a message on a Google Group this morning, it occurred to me that if we go outside the box and create some sort of double-post alignment for Turner and Sabonis, the same creative plan would work for Leaf and Goga on the second unit.

I think it's theoretically possible he could outplay either one of Turner/Sabonis. I think his floor is as high as Sabonis' and his ceiling is as high as Turner's. That, and I don't like making boring predictions :lol:
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#93 » by Vorda » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:02 am

He is more like Žižić from Cavs... :D
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#94 » by Jstock12 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:52 pm

Vorda wrote:

He is more like Žižić from Cavs... :D

Zizic is okay, but more of a role player big at the NBA level. I think Goga has a much higher ceiling.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#95 » by Grang33r » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:42 pm

Per J Micheal, Goga is expected to join the Pacers in Vegas. He’s currently not at the pre-tournament camp with the team. Think he’s dealing with visa issues.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#96 » by Topofthekey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Hmm, if Pacers didn't trade Levert, and if they drafted John Collins instead of Leaf, they could field a pretty decent starting 5 just with their rookies from the past 5 seasons

C: Goga
PF: Myles
SF: Collins
SG: Levert
PG: Holiday

Collins isn't an SF, Holiday might not be starting PG material, but aside from that, it might not be the worst starting 5 in the league
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#97 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Hmm, if Pacers didn't trade Levert, and if they drafted John Collins instead of Leaf, they could field a pretty decent starting 5 just with their rookies from the past 5 seasons

C: Goga
PF: Myles
SF: Collins
SG: Levert
PG: Holiday

Collins isn't an SF, Holiday might not be starting PG material, but aside from that, it might not be the worst starting 5 in the league

We technically drafted Levert but we picked for the Nets. No promise that is who we pick if we didn't trade for Thad.
ColorWerx
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#98 » by ColorWerx » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Pacers.com roster has Goga going with #88...which is...different.

https://www.nba.com/pacers/roster
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,277

Post#99 » by baldur » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:30 pm

you guys sign him right? not eurostash?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:01 am

baldur wrote:you guys sign him right? not eurostash?

Yeah. Just working through the permanent visa application and it’s taking a bit of time. But he’ll be here this season.

Return to Indiana Pacers