Both
17%

Total votes: 30

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Poll: Sabonis for Brown 

Post#1 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:58 am

I getting sick of this talk about about a glut in the Pacers big man rotation. Turner, Sabonis, Goga, Warren and Leaf is not a glut especially when Leaf is not an NBA player!

I've seen about 6-7 trades on the T&T Forum about how the Pacers should trade Sabonis for Jalen Brown. I hate it! Worse than hate it! It makes me want to puke. It's just like when some brainiac said, "Hey let's trade Antonio Davis for Jonathon Bender." or "Hey let's trade a 1984 #1 pick for Tom Owens, because we need a big man."

Brown took a step back last year. Sabonis was our leading rebounder. Without Sabonis the Pacers rebounding will be abysmal at best. If he's traded who plays PF? Warren? He has missed a game or 2 in his career you know. Who then? Leaf? Get ready to lose a lot of games! Oh but it will be a balanced team then. Some suggested letting Bogie walk in favor of Brown. So it's really Brown for Bogie and Dom!
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Re: Poll: Sabonis for Brown 

Post#2 » by winter_mute_13 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:05 am

In principle, I don't like trading better talent for worse just to fill a positional need. So I'm not really down with trading Sabonis unless we're getting a really good prospect in return, and I think the shine has come off Jaylen a lot,

That said, a lot of things can change. Myles, Domas, and Goga (and even Leaf!) are all pretty young, and I think we might all be surprised at how things work out. This isn't a year that we're expecting to win anything - there are just too many uncertainties and holes in the roster. So make it a development year, experiment with different lineups, see how things develop.

As for an extension for Sabonis, I think if we can get him for Turner money we should do it. He's certainly worth it IMO in a vacuum. Figure out who to trade later on if the playing time doesn't work out.
DoubleEagle4
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#3 » by DoubleEagle4 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:15 pm

I think as fans, we tend to overvalue our own players. Boston would probably say that they lose the trade, and we will say that we lose the trade. I really like Sabonis, as do most Pacers fans. I am anxious to see what he does this year. He kind of flew under the radar and had a great year last year, but can he follow it up with an even better year? Not doubting him, but just want to see it happen.

The reason many will say that Brown took a step back is because Hayward came back and took a lot of his minutes. There also seemed to be some locker room problems with Kyrie (what a strange dude). In all honesty, I don't think the Pacers would do a straight up trade like this. However, I would not be opposed a package deal that would bring in Brown.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#4 » by Boneman2 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:13 pm

The only way this could work is if Boston agreed to add the necessary sweetener to even it out, and if Pritchard could sign a JRandle/ Mirotic level PF via free agency.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,062

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:26 pm

On the open market, it’s probably relatively fair. I prefer my own Dom, for sure, but I could see Pritchard doing something like this, and I would understand it.

I think we can rest easy though. Ainge only does trades if he can completely rob someone though, generally, so when he demands a future 1st, Pritchard would walk away pretty easy. It just wouldn’t happen.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#6 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:54 pm

The only reason I may be in favor is not because of the amount of big men we have. Dom is due to get paid big time. I hope I’m wrong but I’m not in the camp of those 2 being able to successfully start along side each other. That will leave us with 40 millionish of cap space on the center position. I’d prefer to not let Dom walk for free.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#7 » by boomershadow » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:51 pm

I'm ready to see Sabonis at power forward just so we can stop hearing that argument.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#8 » by boomershadow » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:53 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:experiment with different lineups, see how things develop.

basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#9 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:12 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:On the open market, it’s probably relatively fair. I prefer my own Dom, for sure, but I could see Pritchard doing something like this, and I would understand it.

I think we can rest easy though. Ainge only does trades if he can completely rob someone though, generally, so when he demands a future 1st, Pritchard would walk away pretty easy. It just wouldn’t happen.

Ainge thought he was gonna steal PG from the Pacers for Crowder, Bradley and a Boston pick. KP walk away from that and the Boston people roared about it, what a bad move KP made. I'd want the Memphis pick with Brown and that's just to get me talking about it anything less than that would be a chump move.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:16 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:The only reason I may be in favor is not because of the amount of big men we have. Dom is due to get paid big time. I hope I’m wrong but I’m not in the camp of those 2 being able to successfully start along side each other. That will leave us with 40 millionish of cap space on the center position. I’d prefer to not let Dom walk for free.

How many "big men" do we have? Turner, Sabonis, Goga is a rookie, Leaf is a G-League player, and Warren is a SF who we're hoping can play PF. Apparently we're letting Thad leave. Am I missing something? Please tell me you're not expecting much of a contribution from Leaf!

A team needs 5 bigs that centers and power forwards. It's a 15 man roster I don't get this notion that we have too many bigs.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#11 » by 8305 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:44 am

I don’t think the value is that far off. Sure Dom improved a lot last year and Brown took a step back. But, I think circumstances in Boston had a lot to do with Brown’s sub par season. He was very good in the 2018 Playoffs and frankly Dom wasn’t very good in the 2019 Playoffs. League wide there are more decent centers than there are opportunities and not enough athletic wings with size.

If we can bring Bojan back there is no reason to make this trade. If we lose him it makes sense.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#12 » by Pacers_Freak » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:45 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:The only reason I may be in favor is not because of the amount of big men we have. Dom is due to get paid big time. I hope I’m wrong but I’m not in the camp of those 2 being able to successfully start along side each other. That will leave us with 40 millionish of cap space on the center position. I’d prefer to not let Dom walk for free.

How many "big men" do we have? Turner, Sabonis, Goga is a rookie, Leaf is a G-League player, and Warren is a SF who we're hoping can play PF. Apparently we're letting Thad leave. Am I missing something? Please tell me you're not expecting much of a contribution from Leaf!

A team needs 5 bigs that centers and power forwards. It's a 15 man roster I don't get this notion that we have too many bigs.

Re-read my post. I was agreeing with you on that point.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#13 » by Pacersike » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:10 pm

I seem to remember some negative vibes from Brown because his minutes were down compared to the season before last one.

Nor is he a very good fit next to Dipo, so I wouldn't do it. Not even for Turner.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:21 pm

Honestly, a guy wanting to compete more isn’t a worry to me. That’s the kind of “locker room issue” I don’t mind.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#15 » by Bill Bradley » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:12 am

What about Sabonis for Smart?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:26 am

Bill Bradley wrote:What about Sabonis for Smart?

I like Smart, but We’d have to include a Warren to offset salaries, and likely still want a solid pick back also.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#17 » by Pacers_Freak » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:35 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:On the open market, it’s probably relatively fair. I prefer my own Dom, for sure, but I could see Pritchard doing something like this, and I would understand it.

Ainge thought he was gonna steal PG from the Pacers for Crowder, Bradley and a Boston pick. KP walk away from that and the Boston people roared about it, what a bad move KP made. I'd want the Memphis pick with Brown and that's just to get me talking about it anything less than that would be a chump move.

The Memphis pick swings that too far to our side. Value is way off.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#18 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:44 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I don't care. If you want my guy your gonna have to pay up! Why should I give you a dollar for a dollar?

Also all this yapping about the Pacers glut of bigs, how about the number of 2/3's that the celtics have. I'm not really into helping some other team balance their roster.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#19 » by Pacers_Freak » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:49 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I don't care. If you want my guy your gonna have to pay up! Why should I give you a dollar for a dollar?

Also all this yapping about the Pacers glut of bigs, how about the number of 2/3's that the celtics have. I'm not really into helping some other team balance their roster.

Love ya wacko but glad you aren’t our GM. We’d never make a trade! Lol
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#20 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:15 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

Love ya wacko but glad you aren’t our GM. We’d never make a trade! Lol

I'd make a trade if the deal makes our team better. But sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make.

Return to Indiana Pacers