Point Guard

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

cellphonecamera
Junior
And1: 427

Point Guard 

Post#1 » by cellphonecamera » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:34 am

Who will be the starting PG now? Will Russell have interest with us? Irving and Walker definitely won't. What do you guys think.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Re: Point Guard 

Post#2 » by Vorda » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:40 am

Probably Rubio... I think he is the only who can come here

Poslano sa mog SM-A510F koristeći Tapatalk
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#3 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:10 am

There's an entire Rubio thread LOL
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,048

Post#4 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:59 pm

Derrick Rose???
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#5 » by MUpacersSIC » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:06 pm

It should be Malcolm Brogdon considering he could be a perfect fit for this team. Can play off the ball when Vic comes back, and can guard wings as well. I’d go hard after him with 4/$80-$84mil. Can still find ways to sign Bojan as well.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#6 » by Pacersike » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:03 pm

Still think it will be Rubio and IMO we will have enough shooters to make it work.

We ranked 5th in the league last season for 3P%. The issue isn't our shooting but creating those opportunities. Rubio is a better creator than DC and he plays comparable defense to Cory.

The biggest reason though is that he is not highly expensive and off the radar for most teams :D
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#7 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:11 pm

We could take Teague from Minn if they're looking to clear salary for a #1 pick to us.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,043

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:20 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:We could take Teague from Minn if they're looking to clear salary for a #1 pick to us.

I mean, I could live with that, too. Great option for a one year filler.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,264

Post#9 » by boomershadow » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:21 pm

Anyone but Terry Rozier would be acceptable to me.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:36 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:We could take Teague from Minn if they're looking to clear salary for a #1 pick to us.

I mean, I could live with that, too. Great option for a one year filler.

That's what I was thinking Holiday is not gonna be ready to start this year. You know he might if we had to have him start but I could see that being a disaster the kid needs more playing time. Teague is a guy we know. Minnesota is looking to sign Russell and wants to clear space. I'd take Teague and a top 10 protected #1 in 2020 for space. That would be most of the space we have. Renounce everyone except Bogie and try to resign him, then find a 2 guard with Room Mid-Level Exception.

If they don't want to give a #1 in 2020 I'd be happy to take Culver and give them Leaf in the deal. I doubt they'd do that since they traded up to get him.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#11 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:37 pm

boomershadow wrote:Anyone but Terry Rozier would be acceptable to me.

I can see it now Pacers sign Rozier and you being next season's Vorda complaining about him.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#12 » by Pacersike » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:51 pm

Why not? I think he has P and Oladipo hangs out with him.

As limited as the game sample was, last years playoffs showcased us that he might be worth the gamble, even over the more sure thing Rubio.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#13 » by Pacers_Freak » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:55 pm

Pacersike wrote:Still think it will be Rubio and IMO we will have enough shooters to make it work.

We ranked 5th in the league last season for 3P%. The issue isn't our shooting but creating those opportunities. Rubio is a better creator than DC and he plays comparable defense to Cory.

The biggest reason though is that he is not highly expensive and off the radar for most teams :D

Technically you are right. I think the reason folks on here are wanting a shooter out of our PG is because Vic plays with the ball in his hands the majority of the time. He is the one in the P&R. So a shooter makes sense given how our team is set up. Not sure if I’m good with Vic becoming a spot up shooter so Rubio has the ball in his hands. I’ve got not problem with Rubio and I think he would improve the team, just not sure on the fit.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#14 » by Topofthekey » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:05 am

Looks like it's going to be Rubio, although I really hope that it'll be D'Angelo Russell - now that Kemba is going to the Celtics and Kyrie is going to the Nets, the pathway to Russell is wide open

But as I've said before, I'm also happy with Rubio, but if it's Rubio, I hope the team can also sign one or two other solid role players, say Terrence Ross and also Danny Green - not sure if we can afford all 3 of them with $34m, maybe $12m each for Rubio and Ross and $10m for Green?

We can also bump our cap space up to $41m by using some of the SRP we got to unload Doug's $7m salary, which will definitely be enough, with probably a few mil left over to sign an emergency big man as well

Domas/Goga/emergency big
Myles/Leaf/
Warren/Ross
Vic/Green/Sumner
Rubio/Holiday/Sumner
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,043

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:13 am

Pacersike wrote:

Why not? I think he has P and Oladipo hangs out with him.

As limited as the game sample was, last years playoffs showcased us that he might be worth the gamble, even over the more sure thing Rubio.

He had a helluva hot streak against us, but definitely cooled off and has been one of the statistically worst players for his team in the league over his 4 year career so far.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/8points9seconds.com/2019/05/18/pacers-psa-dont-sign-terry-rozier/amp/
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 931

Post#16 » by Tom White » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:23 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:Technically you are right. I think the reason folks on here are wanting a shooter out of our PG is because Vic plays with the ball in his hands the majority of the time. He is the one in the P&R. So a shooter makes sense given how our team is set up. Not sure if I’m good with Vic becoming a spot up shooter so Rubio has the ball in his hands. I’ve got not problem with Rubio and I think he would improve the team, just not sure on the fit.

That is all fine....except....Vic won't even be playing for half the season, and when he returns he won't be at full go for even longer. Is that the player you want to base next year's team around? I think having Vic work as a spot up shooter (when he does actually come back) might be a better way for him to get his playing legs back underneath him.

Plus, even when things do get back to "normal" he and Rubio would not be playing together exclusively. What about when Vic goes to the bench? You know he will likely be on some sort of a minutes restriction for a while. It would be good to have a Rubio feeding the ball during those minutes.

I just think we have to quit basing EVERYTHING around Vic. We saw how well that went last season after his injury, didn't we? We need to get back to more of a team orientation rather than an all in on one player frame of mind.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#17 » by Pacers_Freak » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:32 am

Tom White wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:Technically you are right. I think the reason folks on here are wanting a shooter out of our PG is because Vic plays with the ball in his hands the majority of the time. He is the one in the P&R. So a shooter makes sense given how our team is set up. Not sure if I’m good with Vic becoming a spot up shooter so Rubio has the ball in his hands. I’ve got not problem with Rubio and I think he would improve the team, just not sure on the fit.

That is all fine....except....Vic won't even be playing for half the season, and when he returns he won't be at full go for even longer. Is that the player you want to base next year's team around? I think having Vic work as a spot up shooter (when he does actually come back) might be a better way for him to get his playing legs back underneath him.

Plus, even when things do get back to "normal" he and Rubio would not be playing together exclusively. What about when Vic goes to the bench? You know he will likely be on some sort of a minutes restriction for a while. It would be good to have a Rubio feeding the ball during those minutes.

I just think we have to quit basing EVERYTHING around Vic. We saw how well that went last season after his injury, didn't we? We need to get back to more of a team orientation rather than an all in on one player frame of mind.

In my opinion building a team with only next year in sight is a poor idea. This is the last time we will have cap space available with this group (barring a huge and unforeseen type of move). I’m not basing everything on Vic. This is one decision and really just my opinion. Vic is a ball dominant player and I’d prefer a shooter next to him. The argument of we can’t make decision based on Vic look what happened last year is a poor one. Most teams that have their best player go down would be thrilled to have the year the Pacers still had. And every team is going to struggle when they lose their guy. That’s life.

With all of that being said I do think that Rubio is the best available PG that would have an interest in us. Talent out trumps preference. If the 15 mil tag is true I find that to be high. But given he is the realistic BPA at our lost position of need then I’d be thrilled to get him.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 931

Post#18 » by Tom White » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:40 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:In my opinion building a team with only next year in sight is a poor idea. This is the last time we will have cap space available with this group (barring a huge and unforeseen type of move). I’m not basing everything on Vic. This is one decision and really just my opinion. Vic is a ball dominant player and I’d prefer a shooter next to him. The argument of we can’t make decision based on Vic look what happened last year is a poor one. Most teams that have their best player go down would be thrilled to have the year the Pacers still had. And every team is going to struggle when they lose their guy. That’s life.

With all of that being said I do think that Rubio is the best available PG that would have an interest in us. Talent out trumps preference. If the 15 mil tag is true I find that to be high. But given he is the realistic BPA at our lost position of need then I’d be thrilled to get him.

See, now you're coming around. There may be hope for you yet! I'm just kidding. Well....not about the hope for you....OK...moving on. :lol:

I hope my previous post didn't sound like I was "doggin'" you. Not my intent. I'm just a firm believer in not putting all your eggs in one basket.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#19 » by Pacers_Freak » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:47 am

Tom White wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:In my opinion building a team with only next year in sight is a poor idea. This is the last time we will have cap space available with this group (barring a huge and unforeseen type of move). I’m not basing everything on Vic. This is one decision and really just my opinion. Vic is a ball dominant player and I’d prefer a shooter next to him. The argument of we can’t make decision based on Vic look what happened last year is a poor one. Most teams that have their best player go down would be thrilled to have the year the Pacers still had. And every team is going to struggle when they lose their guy. That’s life.

See, now you're coming around. There may be hope for you yet! I'm just kidding. Well....not about the hope for you....OK...moving on. :lol:

I hope my previous post didn't sound like I was "doggin'" you. Not my intent. I'm just a firm believer in not putting all your eggs in one basket.

Hope was lost for me many moons ago my friend. I did not take it that you were “doggin” me. All good!
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,048

Post#20 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:19 pm

looks like the decision has been made to pay Rubio mid teens and get a low priced wing. I suppose that means Bogie is safe. otherwise I'd want a higher priced wing and a cheaper point guard.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers